Comic Talk and General Discussion *

High School
kyupol at 8:48PM, June 9, 2007
(online)
if you had/have a hard time, then surely it will improve afterwards.

Remember. Its not gonna magically improve.

Your mode of thought should be the one to improve. :)

And to improve the thought process, one must wean himself away from the endless propagancrap being spewed in the mainstream.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Eunice P at 8:52PM, June 9, 2007
(offline)
DancingChaos
I heard that expectations are a lot higher in Asia.

That is true, a lot of Asian kids are competitive in academics and sports. I hardly hear anyone bragging about wanting to have bf or gf in my highschool. Almost everyone are focused on competing each other. Everyone looks up on the person if he/she is a high achiever. If you scored last or failed most, you get judged as “unsuccessful”. That's one of the problems with Asian's education perception.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
kyupol at 8:57PM, June 9, 2007
(online)
Eunice P
DancingChaos
I heard that expectations are a lot higher in Asia.

That is true, a lot of Asian kids are competitive in academics and sports. I hardly hear anyone bragging about wanting to have bf or gf in my highschool. Almost everyone are focused on competing each other. Everyone looks up on the person if he/she is a high achiever. If you scored last or failed most, you get judged as “unsuccessful”. That's one of the problems with Asian's education perception.

Yeah… I remember in the Philippines… the “smart” guy is known to all and looked up to. On some occasions, the teacher lets the smart dude (or gal) to be the one to check test papers if the teacher is lazy. lol.

Howd I know that?

First hand experience. Me and about 5 others were asked to check the test papers. lol
Black_Kitty at 10:07AM, June 10, 2007
(online)
Overall I had a good time in high school. The higher up the grade I went, the less drama there was and the more people became serious about their grades. I had good friends and it's been almost ten years now and we still hang out (hell, I was out with them yesterday :)) I was editor for both newspaper and yearbook in my last year so there was a sense of belonging and responsibility for me. High school was just a very secure place for me.

I was a bit of a slacker in high school. I definitely did the work but unless I was motivated, I didn't bother giving my all and doing my best. Art class was the perfect example: for the first four years I did enough to get 80s. I just wasn't motivated to put more effort into my work. The last year got interesting and I had more control over my projects so I ended up tied for the highest mark in class and got an art student of the year award for it.

I don't know if university was better. The academic side of it certainly became more interesting but socially, I just wasn't there. I think it was because of the commuting and I wasn't the type to stay out late in the downtown area.

I just finished school and will be having my convocation soon. I'm going to miss school and being a student. :( I was never one to like growing up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
suzi at 3:30PM, June 10, 2007
(online)
DancingChaos
We've all been down that road more than once. Besides me. I'm not the moron that actually says ‘yes’ to anyone that tries to start that shit. Why can't anyone see that no one in their teens can love?! It's like ‘love’ is a word they could just toss around like it's real! Teens don't have the mental capabilities to love! I'm sure NONE of you loved your girlfriend/boyfriend in high school. You just LIKED them.

I resent that. You have absolutely no authority to gauge everyone's emotional/mental capabilities in one statement like that. “In my opinion,” “probably,” “it's likely,” etc. would be much, much better ways to word it. I'm sorry, you just got on my bad side.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
kyupol at 6:35PM, June 10, 2007
(online)
Teens don't have the mental capabilities to love! I'm sure NONE of you loved your girlfriend/boyfriend in high school. You just LIKED them.

I agree.

…And how many percent of people actually mature past “Teen”… lol! And you know… (*bleep*) … man I better shut up now… lol

Pirogoth_00 at 1:01PM, June 11, 2007
(offline)
Not true there are some people who were in love in high school. None come to mind right now but there were some…………..hmmmmmmmm….
I live in my own little world, but its okay they know me there
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
ccs1989 at 1:47PM, June 11, 2007
(online)
Everyone has different experiences and a different level of maturity. “Love” itself is a concept that is not concrete in it's meaning. Overall it's best to avoid extreme statements about anything that intangible.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
deleted-byrequest-03 at 2:28PM, June 11, 2007
(offline)
suzi
DancingChaos
We've all been down that road more than once. Besides me. I'm not the moron that actually says ‘yes’ to anyone that tries to start that shit. Why can't anyone see that no one in their teens can love?! It's like ‘love’ is a word they could just toss around like it's real! Teens don't have the mental capabilities to love! I'm sure NONE of you loved your girlfriend/boyfriend in high school. You just LIKED them.

I resent that. You have absolutely no authority to gauge everyone's emotional/mental capabilities in one statement like that. “In my opinion,” “probably,” “it's likely,” etc. would be much, much better ways to word it. I'm sorry, you just got on my bad side.

Sorry about that. I'm just so angry about my school. It's just the fact that I don't get a lot with anyone at my school, and I feel the need to vent on the internet.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
ZeroVX at 4:18PM, June 11, 2007
(online)
Which is understandable. On the internet, your face doesn't have to be posted everywhere you go, so you can say things you wouldn't normally say.

On the subject of your debate, on the one hand, saying that teenagers can't love is a bit prejudiced, isn't it? There are some teens who do understand love(kudos to them).

On the other hand, since teenagers are usually going through that bit of insanity we all call “puberty”, they may be a bit confused about what love really is.

I guess the long and short of it is is that love, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

See, if I said that at school, just about everyone would laugh at me.
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:57PM
deleted-byrequest-03 at 5:05PM, June 11, 2007
(offline)
ZeroVX
On the subject of your debate, on the one hand, saying that teenagers can't love is a bit prejudiced, isn't it? There are some teens who do understand love(kudos to them).

Prejudiced? Nah. I'm 15.

It's just the fact that every time hear about someone's relationship at school, they are always saying how they were never loved by that person, and they needed someone to talk to when they went out. I would ask if THEY loved that person, and they would always say ‘…well… I don’t know'. Meaning they don't.

Also, there's the fact that I have never loved someone myself. Not family-wise. (Am I cold and arrogant?)

I know, I was a bit harsh about what I said. Teens CAN love. Just not the way adults do. They just expect the outcome to be much better. So again, I apologize.

I've been mad all week because of finals.

I can be a nice person! Really!

suzi at 8:18PM, June 11, 2007
(online)
Ah, understandable. I do agree that a lot of what teenagers experience while dating in high school is not “love” in a more mature sense, but honestly I don't think a lot of people EVER find that. Personally, I still believe that the boy I dated for two years from 9th-11th grade was in fact in love with me and I with him. It depends on the people and their personal growth, and if comes at age 15, 25, 50 or never is individual.

I always feel a big egotistical for saying this, but I'm a pretty emotionally sensitive and nuanced person, with a bit of a knack for intuiting people and emotionally reading a situation, and I've always been first and foremost caught up in that mess we call love. Not high school relationship love, but interpersonal delving and sharing, which is the simplest basis for love outside of that high school dating stereotype. With that first boyfriend, our friends always pointed out how “un-high school” it was that we were together for two years; it was because we loved each other, not because we wanted to experience the high school dating ritual. And my two boyfriends since then have followed suit: loving for the sake of the person, not the experience; and I think that's the very very basic difference. Of course there's more to it…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
deleted-byrequest-03 at 8:27PM, June 11, 2007
(offline)
suzi
Ah, understandable. I do agree that a lot of what teenagers experience while dating in high school is not “love” in a more mature sense, but honestly I don't think a lot of people EVER find that. Personally, I still believe that the boy I dated for two years from 9th-11th grade was in fact in love with me and I with him. It depends on the people and their personal growth, and if comes at age 15, 25, 50 or never is individual.

I always feel a big egotistical for saying this, but I'm a pretty emotionally sensitive and nuanced person, with a bit of a knack for intuiting people and emotionally reading a situation, and I've always been first and foremost caught up in that mess we call love. Not high school relationship love, but interpersonal delving and sharing, which is the simplest basis for love outside of that high school dating stereotype. With that first boyfriend, our friends always pointed out how “un-high school” it was that we were together for two years; it was because we loved each other, not because we wanted to experience the high school dating ritual. And my two boyfriends since then have followed suit: loving for the sake of the person, not the experience; and I think that's the very very basic difference. Of course there's more to it…

You're very lucky to have found people you loved. That's a rare thing to get (in some to most cases).

It's too bad that where I live, I can't find one long lasting couple that actually loves each other. :(

Kristen Gudsnuk at 9:48PM, June 11, 2007
(offline)
hmm, I had a pretty contradictory high school experience. on the one hand, I was in all honors classes, and took five APs, and the lowest AP score I got was a 4; I did really well on the SATs (well… on verbal, at least!! XD). however, somehow I managed to get terrible grades!! I wasn't even in the top 20%!! I was in the top 100 though… so *whew*. I was just a really lazy student and I almost never did my work. I got C's all the time, and I got a D+ one semester in Algebra… *shivers* that was pretty bad.
my school didn't really have such cliques as you others have described. I did lots of stuff like Drama Club, the school newspaper (I was the illustrator! and copy editor), the art club, the spanish club, and the book club. through all these activities, I met a lot of people, from different “groups”, or just solidified old friendships. I mean, believe it or not, but most of my friends hate anime… lots of us go tanning… and yet we (most of us… ok some of us) agree that Gerard Way just might be the awesomest guy ever.

high school itself was pretty good. well, my mom is really controlling and likes to imagine that I'm “rebellious”, and since she taught at my school, I always had to be on my best behavior. I used to cut up my clothes and experiment with stuff, but my mom used to flip out at me about it.

so yeah, on the whole, high school was cool. not too many cliques, really (I just hung out with the intelligent kids.)

oh, but I really wasn't friends with many cheerleaders.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
usedbooks at 10:18PM, June 11, 2007
(online)
High school…

I had both my parents as teachers. I ate with my parents/teachers for most lunches. I did my homework. I didn't get invited to parties. I got almost all A's (one B because I snapped in 11th grade and refused to do worksheets that wanted me to “underline the predicate” – for God's sake it was 11th grade HONORS English…). Um, most people would have a conversation with me, but I didn't have a friend circle. I had a “fan” who would read the murder mysteries I was writing. Mostly, I just did my work, wrote/read stories and took cultural trips with my parents and/or school groups.

Everyone knew who I was (the two teacher parents accounted for some of that). I got called fat and ugly a lot. People mistook my guy friends for boyfriends half the time. I was called a lesbian once or twice – God only knows why… I had not a single female friend. My hair was really short, though… My second year, one girl threatened to kill me or beat me to a pulp on a regular basis – I never did learn why. Um, I was also voted princess of a school dance and voted most likely to succeed.

Goodbye high school. Rot in your hideous high school hell.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
Aussie_kid at 6:07AM, June 12, 2007
(online)
I was on my own for the most part, people just responded to me badly for some reason.

My english teacher hated me because I got a book published when he had been shunned by every publisher in Australia (Never bothered to tell him it was through Lulu) and he marked me down at every chance he got (Which, in addition to a religion course that I didn't know didn't count, meant I didn't get marked high enough to get into a university)

So yeah, it sucked big time
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
AQua_ng at 9:49AM, June 12, 2007
(offline)
Is it just me who goes to an all boys school?

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
ZeroVX at 11:23AM, June 12, 2007
(online)
Most likely.
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:57PM
kyupol at 3:21PM, June 12, 2007
(online)
“Love” is actually a ninja technique.

In the Naruto show, they call it “genjutsu”. lol!
kyupol at 3:22PM, June 12, 2007
(online)
Aussie_kid
I was on my own for the most part, people just responded to me badly for some reason.

My english teacher hated me because I got a book published when he had been shunned by every publisher in Australia (Never bothered to tell him it was through Lulu) and he marked me down at every chance he got (Which, in addition to a religion course that I didn't know didn't count, meant I didn't get marked high enough to get into a university)

So yeah, it sucked big time

what an asshole teacher… And btw, what book is that? (pm me if youre too shy)
wyldflowa at 3:47PM, June 12, 2007
(offline)
DancingChaos
Why can't anyone see that no one in their teens can love?! It's like ‘love’ is a word they could just toss around like it's real! Teens don't have the mental capabilities to love! I'm sure NONE of you loved your girlfriend/boyfriend in high school. You just LIKED them.
Eeeh… I sorta agree with that myself. But at the same time I feel that young people should just go out and enjoy themselves while they're young. I sorely regret not doing the whole dating thing as a teen because I now realise that I've probably passed the most emotionally-charged part of my life where all that stuff is so much more exciting~ XD At the time I thought all the people getting caught up in relationship drama were stupid but now I kinda wish I'd been one of them. ^^; So even if it isn't love there's nothing to stop people having a good time while they're young and beautiful (as long as they do it safely O_O). XD Plus you gotta kiss a lot of frogs before finding a prince… might as well start young… aha.

Oh my god I sound like an old woman.

Did I mention I hated high school? Hate hate hate. I went to a a really rough school - I really shouldn't have been there because I was so high-ability… I could have sailed through grammar school but eh, my mother just dumped me in the closest place. Boo. When I have kids I'm gonna send them to the best place I can~ I wouldn't wish my high school life on anyone. :/
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:52PM
deleted-byrequest-03 at 5:36PM, June 12, 2007
(offline)
usedbooks
Um, I was also voted princess of a school dance and voted most likely to succeed.

I haven't won one thing in high school yet.

Which reminds me… I found out that I got a 90 on my art final. A 90. I'm so pissed off! All of my other friends (that don't give a care about art at all) got 100's, and I was just helping them half the time. My friends were mad about my 90 and my family was mad. They liked my painting. But oh well. If the art teacher thinks it sucks, then I guess it must suck. (By the way, in my art class, a 90 is failing! How DARE I suck so badly?!)

kyupol at 10:20PM, June 12, 2007
(online)
DancingChaos
usedbooks
Um, I was also voted princess of a school dance and voted most likely to succeed.

I haven't won one thing in high school yet.

Which reminds me… I found out that I got a 90 on my art final. A 90. I'm so pissed off! All of my other friends (that don't give a care about art at all) got 100's, and I was just helping them half the time. My friends were mad about my 90 and my family was mad. They liked my painting. But oh well. If the art teacher thinks it sucks, then I guess it must suck. (By the way, in my art class, a 90 is failing! How DARE I suck so badly?!)

lol a 90 failing in art class?

You sure youre not sarcastic or anything?

Since I got a 71 in art class… and I still “passed” and made it to the honor roll.
Pirogoth_00 at 12:08PM, June 13, 2007
(offline)
What kind of school has a 90 as failing? At my school you have to get like a 60 to fail. And thats just because we have no D's. Otherwise at the first high school I whent to It would take a 30 to fail. So I say your school system is relay messed up.

I live in my own little world, but its okay they know me there
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
AQua_ng at 12:17PM, June 13, 2007
(offline)
This high of a mark probably means that the thing should be really easy.

HOW COME YOU DIDN'T GET 100?! YOU'RE A FANTASTIC ARTIST! (Roar, roar.)

Actually, I'm going to give you my own mark. And put my signature, for extra measure.

Stick that on your fridge.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
Cthulhu at 3:19PM, June 13, 2007
(online)
… Lolonehundredonepercentextracredit?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:56AM
drgngrl at 5:07PM, June 13, 2007
(online)
that is so old school with a 90 bein too low, when i took art our teacher was a ***** and no one liked her, she gave the REALLY artsy ppl good grades, the averages that liked art average grades and ones that had no talent but tried their hardest failing grades… maybe the teach is my teachs twin???? thts a nice 101:D i want to print it up and stick it on MY fridge:D
(\__/) | This is Bunny.
(O.o ) | Copy Bunny into your signature to help
(> < ) | him on his way to world domination!

help my comic styles! its http://www.drunkduck.com/Donotread/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
Generic Human at 5:17PM, June 13, 2007
(online)
Huh… I'm getting a lot of bad vibes from this thread. High School really isn't that big of a deal, no reason to get angry about it. It's just four years of your life, no big deal really.

I actually feel bad for people who say high school was the best time of their life. If you're a middle-aged person, and the best time of your life was high school… what have you been doing since?

I've learned through my high school career (graduated on the tenth. w00t) that… well whatever. People may do or say something to piss you off, but don't worry about it. If you're friendly to everyone, they tend to be friendly back, and if they're not, just avoid those people, who wants to be around an asshole anyway? I was the type of person that bounced around in high school. I switched school my Junior year, so I didn't know a whole bunch of people, but the people I did know seemed to like me okay, and they came from all different groups. But I can honestly say, that girls tended to be meaner than guys. I dunno why. Maybe it's hard being rich and bored in a college town. I wouldn't know about the rich and bored part.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
deleted-byrequest-03 at 6:18PM, June 13, 2007
(offline)
Pirogoth_00
What kind of school has a 90 as failing? At my school you have to get like a 60 to fail. And thats just because we have no D's. Otherwise at the first high school I whent to It would take a 30 to fail. So I say your school system is relay messed up.

Oh, no! A D is technically failing, but a 90 is failing TO ME in my art class! I'm just upset I didn't get a 100! Oops, sorry! I typed something out wrong…

kyupol at 6:37PM, June 13, 2007
(online)
actually feel bad for people who say high school was the best time of their life.

(*flashbacks to 1999*)

(*kYuPoL is sitting by himself in the corner*)
(*everyone else is chillin and smiling and shit*)

(*Teacher gets up on the podium*)

Teacher: "High School is the best time of your life! (*indistinct mumbling*)

(*Camera focuses on kYuPoL*)

kYuPoL: (to himself) WAAAHHH!!! I MISSED OUT ON HIGH SCHOOL. BOO HOO HOO HOO HOOO!!! (*indistinct suicidal emo mumbling*)

[]

lol! Fuck diz shit yo! lol!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon