Comic Talk and General Discussion *

I Hate This New Forum
KC3Tlifevirus at 8:36PM, Sept. 27, 2006
(offline)
Wow, some of you guys acted pretty stuck-up in the first page. This stuff obviously took a lot of work, and it's not like it wouldn't have been improved upon.

As for me, I actually like the new forum direction. <_<

Great job, Duck Crew, for making DD an even better place with every moment. I know you all are in the editting stages after the big transformation, as usual, so I shall sit and watch things get polished up. =)
Anyway, I found it funny that all my old posts got turned into Anonymous posts, and everyone else stayed the same. lol.

I shall agree on the notion of clutterness in the DD site. Perhaps a simpler color scheme, a single template theme, and consistant font types could help? I do notice many yellows, purples, greens, oranges, blues, and reds, and on the text side, many variants of fonts. I think color theory can really throw out some of the craziness going on.

Either way, I don't mind, though.

By the way, I keep deleting and posting, in case admins are wondering why I'm always the latest poster. =P
So, um, yeah…edit mode is to be needed.

One more thing; my number 45 member number gives me much pride. =)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
jetfox at 8:40PM, Sept. 27, 2006
(offline)
argh.

great now my eyes burn from the bright color.

i guess you can't please everyone.

oh well as long as recent posts come back i'll deal with the brightness.
In the immortal words of Saix “Moon shine down!!!!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
Volte6 at 8:48PM, Sept. 27, 2006
(online)
jetfox
argh.

sorry… but we didn't make it WHITE at least ;) It's sorta a compromise, no?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:43PM
Volte6 at 8:50PM, Sept. 27, 2006
(online)
KC3Tlifevirus
Wow, some of you guys acted pretty stuck-up in the first page. This stuff obviously took a lot of work, and it's not like it wouldn't have been improved upon.

As for me, I actually like the new forum direction. <_<

Great job, Duck Crew, for making DD an even better place with every moment. I know you all are in the editting stages after the big transformation, as usual, so I shall sit and watch things get polished up. =)
Thanks!

Anyway, I found it funny that all my old posts got turned into Anonymous posts, and everyone else stayed the same. lol.
If your name wasnt' the same it wouldn't link up the two :( But i'll match you up right now if you can PQ me a link to a post of yours that became anonymous :)

So, um, yeah…edit mode is to be needed.
I'll try and fix that shortly.

Haha i knew it would! (That's actually why i put it there) In fact, even high numbered users will someday have that same pride once we're 10 times the size :)
LowResAtari at 8:53PM, Sept. 27, 2006
(offline)
Volte6
jetfox
argh.

sorry… but we didn't make it WHITE at least ;) It's sorta a compromise, no?

Personally, I REALLY like the gray… because of a visual disability I have. I have a really hard time reading black text on a white background, or white text on a black background.

That's why I chose the gray background for Mixed Bag… so that I could read what people were sayin' to me >>

Gray is like… the unversal “not very distractive” color :P
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:47PM
Volte6 at 8:57PM, Sept. 27, 2006
(online)
Hey guys, ‘Editing’ your posts should be fixed :)
KC3Tlifevirus at 9:02PM, Sept. 27, 2006
(offline)
Sweet. Especially since I have to quote multiple people right now.

Volte6
If your name wasnt' the same it wouldn't link up the two :( But i'll match you up right now if you can PQ me a link to a post of yours that became anonymous :)

How do I PQ someone?

LowResAtari
Gray is like… the unversal “not very distractive” color :P

Yeah, because Gray is colorless…and isolates nearby color. Which is why I brought up the color theory bit.

Volte6 at 9:09PM, Sept. 27, 2006
(online)
How do I PQ someone?

Click the PQ in my message, or click my name and then on the envelope…. or click the envelope above your favorites and manually type in my name ;)
Hawk at 9:18PM, Sept. 27, 2006
(online)
Wow, the improvements make this forum substantially better and it happened so fast! Who was complaining about some faceless corporation controlling us and not caring about what we thought?

Great job on enlargening our names, too. And you know, it really doesn't feel as cramped now for some reason. This is a forum I definitely live with. Thanks for all the hard work, DD staff!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
flaak_monkey at 10:03PM, Sept. 27, 2006
(online)
new colors mych better.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:29PM
LowResAtari at 11:16PM, Sept. 27, 2006
(offline)
flaak_monkey
new colors mych better.

I…uhh…. think ya' made a typo, man ;)
theduckofanime at 11:23PM, Sept. 27, 2006
(offline)
Am I the only one who's old posts now have a different avatar on it?

I got some Duck on em… and it's not me!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
Enef at 11:26PM, Sept. 27, 2006
(offline)
The only thing i dislike is the reply box being bright white, and the fact that peoples name's get lost under their avatars, make the username bolder or a bigger size or something.

also, make some way for me to know their is new posts in each forum, i had no idea this morning and was like "well i'll just click where i think there will be a new post.

Add a “Return to forum” link at the bottom of the page, i hate having to scroll up.

I really like the new forum except that though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
KC3Tlifevirus at 12:19AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(offline)
The problem with usernames being lost under avatars is not because they aren't bold, because they literally are already, but because it's not very different from the grey background in color behind them, and the same-sized user info beneath them. I'd suggest a more distinguishing approach. Even black beats this dark grey, and a larger font size would help greatly (I noticed short names like “Enef” seem like they especially get lost).
White comment boxes aren't bad, to me. The only thing I see as a downfall is the fact that it makes the box look primitive, but I think white is the best-case scenario with dark blues and purples everywhere.

If it is possible, since coding is probably a demand for this, but a message history window under the comment box would be great for times when people need to dissect posts to directly reply to people. It's not totally necessary, but it does help a bit.

Not much else seems to bother me, and since this is integrated with the site, it probably doesn't need that much more template-tweaking.

theduckofanime
Am I the only one who's old posts now have a different avatar on it?

I got some Duck on em… and it's not me!

It's because you no longer have a separate forum account. Now your DrunkDuck comic account's avatar settings will also become your forum avatar.
AQua_ng at 12:37AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(offline)
I miss my graphical interface. And my ego boosting post count. But still, we must know that nothing is permanent and that suffering is caused from attachment to these things. I'm going to try and go with the flow.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
theduckofanime at 12:39AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(offline)
My theduckofanime avatar is the same as on my comic one, but my forum name duck, literally has a duck. Not the old avatar as I had before.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
Vaoni at 12:40AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(offline)
Yes! Woke up this morning, checked out the forums and didnt have my eyes burnt.
Much better guys, thank you very much :D

- Updated! 1.10.06
“You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? ”Hey man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
AQua_ng at 12:45AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(offline)
What? There's was something before this? How long did that last?

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
Comicmasta at 2:43AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(offline)
MUCH BETTER!

now all we need is the link that skips to the last post and that would be it.
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
xkyuketsuki at 4:20AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(offline)
Oh the colors are SOOOOOOOOOO much better now! Good work!

Still want my siggy though…that was cool….
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:52PM
Sam_Charette at 4:42AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(offline)
SpANG
glenoneill
why would yo go against PHPBB? That's like trying to re-invent the wheel.

Integrated sign-ons. Spambot free. It's better, and it will be proven. Give it time.;)

phpbb is easy to integrate a sign on with, and if you set it up properly spam bots aren't an issue. It's really questionable to reinvent a forum system when you have available to you such a good one that is so easily integrated with sites all over the world, and so easliy modified to add whatever functionality you want, especially when on the debut of your home grown system people lose features they had and loved.

That said, kudos on the work. Making a forum system is anything but easy, and it's certainly a decent one so far. I'm VERY glad that the colouring has changed. The grey is sooooooo much easier to read :) And a bigger kudos for doing it so fast. That should allay most fears of corporate carelessness.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
hpkomic at 5:32AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(offline)
So apparently, profiles are integrated with the rest of the site functions right?

So is the who's online list for the entire site, or the forums in particular?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
SpANG at 7:11AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(online)
hpkomic
So apparently, profiles are integrated with the rest of the site functions right?

So is the who's online list for the entire site, or the forums in particular?
“User's online” shows who is signed into Drunk Duck, not necessarily browsing the forums at the time. But it's really all the same now. ;)

That said, aside from the “comfort things” that PHBB had to offer, I always thought it was a really bad and vulnerable tool, But it's all we could do at that time. Not only that, but this takes “branding” to the next level. I think DD is on the right track.

Once the friendly features are integrated into this forum, (mostly) everyone will like it more, too.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
skoolmunkee at 7:30AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(offline)
I was reading this thread from the beginning and saw everyone complaining about the colors and I was all, guys, what's wrong with you, the colors are fine?! And then I saw that since then Volte had changed the colors already and so how cool is that? It's like your own personal coder guy to do every drunk duck thing people want and would be good. See, that's not so bad.

Ronson
But a lot of the features are still being coded. Like the “view all new posts since last visit” – which is just killing me, let me tell you.

skoolmunkee want! (Also skoolmunkee want the page numbers and forum categories and… well, not a big fan of the column on the right.)

Rich
Yes, it seems as though most of the admins (save for one who has done little more than insult people), still care about us. That is definitely a good sign.

Yes well someone is a monkey butt face and it isn't me! (I am at least a monkey face face.)

I want a smaller member number, all the other admins (except this Mojo… hobo…) have little tiny member numbers and mine looks big and fat and ugly compared to you all. :cry:
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Sam_Charette at 7:41AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(offline)
SpANG
That said, aside from the “comfort things” that PHBB had to offer, I always thought it was a really bad and vulnerable tool, But it's all we could do at that time. Not only that, but this takes “branding” to the next level. I think DD is on the right track.

Well, phpBB is actually a very secure and stable tool, with a very active community. You can feel otherwise, but that's not really based on anything ;)

Though I agree on the branding thing. There is something to be said for having your own system. I just think that the community would have been better served had the development effort, at this time, been spent creating additional creator features instead of recoding a forum system. Just imagine what could have been done with that time which would have given us more we could do, rather than taking away features because there wasn't enough time to mimic them.

Again, not to say what Volte has done sucks or anything. He's done some awesome work, and making a forum with as much functionality as it has is no small feat. I just would have preferred it if he had directed his effort more on new functionality than on existing at this time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
Ronson at 7:51AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(online)
Now this is me just making guesses, but…

By programming their own forum, they have a lot more control over what they can get it to do. I think that something akin to the “karma” thing that Volte6 was working on a few months back could now include forum posting … maybe we'd even rate posts and things like that…or maybe you can get recognized in some way with frequent and insightful posting.

It may even be possible to create a customizable forum for the comic artists - one that everyone can have complete control over, that won't be imbedded within the old phbb format.

If anything, the fact that they're creating a whole new forum is just another indication that they're going to strengthen the community aspect of DD.

…my opinion, of course.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
LowResAtari at 8:29AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(offline)
I think it would be funny if someone ran out of excuses to hate the new forum and decided to start compllaining about stuff that doesn't make any sense… like:

“I hate the SMELL!”

(this message brought to you by a weird dream I had)
Rich at 8:58AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(online)
Well it DOES smell pretty bad…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
LowResAtari at 9:18AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(offline)
I wouldn't know. My nose is stopped up :P
Rich at 9:27AM, Sept. 28, 2006
(online)
Well, it DOES. And the floor is sticky too. Sorta like someone spilled soda all over it…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon