Comic Talk and General Discussion *

new DD comic update system........
Ozoneocean at 8:37AM, July 16, 2010
(online)
_T_
Uploading comic pages isn't working at all for me. When I use the new uploader, it gives me a broken image. When I use the old uploader, it appears to load, then simply brings me back to the uploader page with no new comic page.

I'm using windows xp, internet explorer 8. I was uploading with no problems up until this week.

That's not to do with the uploader- that's the image bug.

This is happening every single day now. :(
I'll report it now
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
Ozoneocean at 9:44AM, July 16, 2010
(online)
works now!
Ozoneocean at 10:12AM, July 16, 2010
(online)
Soo tired… going to bed now…

Ok, more info on the image bug (not the uploader)-
Our programmer and developer have been working on this every day to try and find a solution that sticks, with next week as their deadline.
Brad at 11:53AM, July 17, 2010
(online)
I don't know who you guys have hired as a developer, but I think it's time you thought about hiring a professional. Your code is a friggin' mess. That being said, I've attempted to upload files a few times and the posts always go through. My Title, Date and Notes fields are stored just fine (woohoo!), but the file itself never uploads. Whenever I click to view images from my ‘My Account’ section, I get a 404 error. I've tried in Safari and Firefox and had the same results.

A major problem is your choice of uploading script. It may have seemed like a huge time saver to use 3rd party prewritten code like Uploadify to speed up the development of your new uploader, but ultimately your laziness has come back to bite you in the ass. The biggest problem with entrusting portions of your site to code that you yourself have not written is that when something goes wrong you have to waste huge amounts of time reverse engineering someone else's code.

From my testing however, Uploadify is working fine and doing everything that it's supposed to, which is a miracle considering how many overlapping javascript frameworks you guys have on this site. What you're missing is a callback error!

Once the user clicks the ‘Upload Pages’ button, your steps should be:
1. Javascript Checks Data is filled out
2. Post Data to PHP
3. PHP Checks to ensure file uploads.
4. Insert Data into Database
5. Alert Javascript of Success or Error
6. If Success Remove Element from Page
7. If all Elements have been removed, redirect.

Currently you're skipping steps 3 and 5. Here is your current step 6, where you will need to insert step 5:

onComplete: function(event, id) {
			jQuery('fieldset.' + id).remove();
		},

Which basically says, once the data is posted to the PHP file, drop the feilds (title, notes, date) associated with that file. But, if your PHP file throws an error, you're ignoring it and just moving along to the next file! I'd say it's a 99% chance your error is in your PHP file or can be identified with you PHP file (like a server error). So tell your onComplete function to get the callback, and simply echo a response on your PHP script. Whatever is echoed on that page will be passed along to the onComplete function. If it's not “Success” (or whatever phrase you want to use) then alert the user of the error and keep the progress bar from disappearing by throwing a ‘return false’ in there.

onComplete: function(event, id, file, message){ 
			if (messsage != "Success") {
				alert('File: ' + file.name + ' failed to upload. \nError: ' + message); 
				return false;
			} else {
				jQuery('fieldset.' + id).remove();
			}
		},

Now, this is only for error checking and alerting your users that errors occur before they waste their time. This won't solve your problem, but it will help you better identify where the problem lies.

However, I am not at all condoning that your process as correct. If you use a site like Flickr, they are using a similar Ajax+Flash solution for multi-file upload. The difference is, that they check to ensure the file is uploaded first before allowing you to add things like titles, dates, notes, or whatever to it. You're making your users do all of their work ahead of time before they even know if their files will upload, which is just adding more fuel to the fire and why you're seeing so much user frustration. If I write a 4 paragraph update on a page and then hit upload and it fails, I have to start all over again. Don't waste your users time or they will leave.

On the subject of javascript frameworks in general, you really should choose one and stick with it. If you're going to use prototype, use prototype. I you want to use jQuery, use jQuery. There's no reason to load two big frameworks that do many of the same things. And when you do use them, load them from Google's AJAX Library: http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/documentation/ … The chances of you users already having the file cached from another website are extremely high if everyone who uses these libraries links to a single source. This will speed up initial loading times and lower some of your bandwidth usage.

I could go on and on about how this site doesn't use valid html, over uses tables for non-tabular design elements, loads 12 .js files (most of which aren't used) for every single page loaded, loads 4 css files, adds ?cache= the current date and time to every one of these files to keep users browsers from caching these files (which means my browser loads these external flles as if they are new files for every single page I go to) etc..
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
Salsa at 11:00PM, July 18, 2010
(offline)
I don;t know if this has been mentioned yet. But it appears that when you upload multiple pages, they appear backwards. Seems like whoever coded this is using a stack instead of a queue sorted by live date. In other words. Your putting the last page to go live as the first page of that series of pages, despite the later upload date.
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:18PM
skoolmunkee at 12:42AM, July 19, 2010
(offline)
Brad- most of that went waaaay over my head. :] But I can pass it on!

If it explains anything, DD was originally written by one guy in his spare time, trying to learn more php and java stuff. So I think that explains most of the nonstandard coding issues you brought up -in fact Plat and Wowio have both said that one of the problems with coding DD is having to make way through the code. It came out pretty good for a learning effort but as you said, it's not professional.

Salsa- we've mentioned this to them, we suspect it's loading the pages in the order their uploads have finished rather than their entered order. I think it just happens with the new uploader but I'm not sure.

We've not heard much from Wowio lately, I suspect they're quite busy with comic-con this week and we won't get much til next week. I'm planning on putting together an updated bug list and sending it, I'll see what they say. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
miya_c at 5:20AM, July 21, 2010
(online)
Sorry to bother you, I know this whole thing is probably very stressful but I just wanted to let you know that the “this just in” section inst working for me. But i see that it's working for alot of other comics.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Ozoneocean at 5:38AM, July 21, 2010
(online)
miya_c
Sorry to bother you, I know this whole thing is probably very stressful but I just wanted to let you know that the “this just in” section inst working for me. But i see that it's working for alot of other comics.
try the old updater, which is linked directly from the new update page :)
miya_c at 4:12PM, July 21, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
miya_c
try the old updater, which is linked directly from the new update page :)

Thank you so much. It works now :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Plague Doctor at 1:58AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(offline)
Um,I can't find the old updater.How does it look like?
EDIT-Wait,is there a difference in uploading pages when you go to a)My Account or b)MyComics>“i”>comic pages?

Cause yeah,I'm having a problem of my stuff not showing up in “Just in” section.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
Genejoke at 2:16AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(online)
Salsa
I don;t know if this has been mentioned yet. But it appears that when you upload multiple pages, they appear backwards. Seems like whoever coded this is using a stack instead of a queue sorted by live date. In other words. Your putting the last page to go live as the first page of that series of pages, despite the later upload date.

I have been finding this too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
skoolmunkee at 4:21AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(offline)
Plague Doctor
EDIT-Wait,is there a difference in uploading pages when you go to a)My Account or b)MyComics>“i”>comic pages?

Cause yeah,I'm having a problem of my stuff not showing up in “Just in” section.

No, those go to the same place. On the top of the page where you'd normally upload your new pages, there's this: “If you're having problems with this new uploader, you can still use the old one: CLICK HERE.” It's in the grey text area, just under the tabs.

Genejoke
Salsa

I have been finding this too.

We've listed that to them as one of the things we'd like fixed/changed. I guess they aren't concerned because they haven't done it. :[ They put in this new uploader and then don't seem to care about working the bugs out of it. JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER NEW OWNERS
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Plague Doctor at 6:53AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(offline)
skoolmunkee
Plague Doctor

No, those go to the same place. On the top of the page where you'd normally upload your new pages, there's this: “If you're having problems with this new uploader, you can still use the old one: CLICK HERE.” It's in the grey text area, just under the tabs.
I see it,thank you =)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
darth_paul at 10:07AM, Sept. 8, 2010
(offline)
Just uploaded a new page today. Says that it's there under “My Comics” on the right hand side, but won't show up in the “This Just In” section. Do I need to try the old updater as has been suggested to others? huh!?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
skoolmunkee at 1:08PM, Sept. 8, 2010
(offline)
It affects everybody, so yeah, if it's suggested to others it's suggested to you. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon