Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Tablet Recommendation?
Mazoo at 11:24AM, Dec. 18, 2005
(offline)
Hey all! I am thinking of asking for a tablet “for Christmas” (it's my excuse for my parents to spend large sums of money on me. ^^; ) However, I really don't know what kind to get. I'm leaning towards a WACOM Intuos3 A4…. but I'm honestly not sure. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

…I also hope this is in the right thread! :lol:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
ccs1989 at 11:25AM, Dec. 18, 2005
(online)
Wacom is good…let's see what mine is…hmm…Intuos 3. Yeah. Go with that.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Mazoo at 11:43AM, Dec. 18, 2005
(offline)
Yeah, that seems to be the overall most liked one…
Hawk at 5:41PM, Dec. 18, 2005
(online)
I own what you're thinking about… Intuos 3, 6x8. It's a great tablet. The buttons on it make all my work go more quickly.

If price is and issue (it's expensive!) don't feel bad about getting a Wacom Graphire 3. The sensitivity isn't quite as defined, but the difference is not very noticable. Whatever you get, I wouldn't recommend going smaller than 6x8. That size has been ideal for me, while the 4x5 I had before was a little too small.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
CORY at 8:17PM, Dec. 18, 2005
(offline)
*Agree*
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
Chameloncholic at 11:52PM, Dec. 18, 2005
(online)
If you don't want to pay as much for an Intuos 3 but want something better than a Grpahire I believe they may still be selling reconditioned and display model Intuos 2s on the European Wacom website. While stocks last ofcourse.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Ian Jay at 8:01AM, Dec. 19, 2005
(offline)
Yeah. I asked for one of these. Only thing is, when my parents asked for brand names, the only thing I could think of were those laptops that had a keyboard and a tablet screen– I think Toshiba makes them. I don't know how good those things work, but… it's not like I'm gonna complain or anything if I get one.

Does anybody know if these suckers are any good?

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
zactheninja at 9:01AM, Dec. 19, 2005
(online)
I use a Wacom Graphire 3 (I didn't feel like paying more than 112 dollars for a tablet)

And it works fine with the things I use it for.
I might buy a better later, if making webcomics on a regular basis is something I want to do, but the 3 is fine
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM
Liriel at 11:39PM, Dec. 20, 2005
(online)
Ditto on the Graphire 3, it's a good deal in my book ;)

~Liriel
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:35PM
Dan at 6:52AM, Dec. 21, 2005
(online)
Inutos3 (A5, I think?) is the thing I've got and It's pretty nice thing, ‘cept the fact that I never use its buttons. Costs around $350 bucks CND, but I doubt that it’s worth every single penny.
“I like shooting, but I sure as hell don't like being shot at.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
Mazoo at 1:21PM, Dec. 26, 2005
(offline)
Wow! Thanks for all the advice! It helps out a ton! :D
ccs1989 at 5:04PM, Dec. 26, 2005
(online)
Ian Jay
Yeah. I asked for one of these. Only thing is, when my parents asked for brand names, the only thing I could think of were those laptops that had a keyboard and a tablet screen– I think Toshiba makes them. I don't know how good those things work, but… it's not like I'm gonna complain or anything if I get one.

Does anybody know if these suckers are any good?

~IJ

Well, Wacom is the thing for all things tablet-y. As for those tablet screens, I'd imagine they're awesome. But they're also pretentious as hell.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
Ian Jay at 5:46PM, Dec. 27, 2005
(offline)
Well, I have a tablet screen laptop now…

And I'm pretentious…

It's like we're the perfect match!

~IJ

PS: I already gave my tablet a name. I call it Superfly. Whenever I want something, I'm all, “Yo, Superfly! Get me some dang Ritz crackers!” And Superfly just lies there. I guess Superfly can improve human-machine interfaces, but Superfly can't get me my comestibles when I need them. Oh well. Love Superfly, love Superfly's problems.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
ccs1989 at 7:11PM, Dec. 27, 2005
(online)
Hahahahaha…that was one of your best posts in a while…funny stuff…

So I suppose now you have no excuse for messy coloring…dang lucky pretentious tablet…

(dot dot dot)

Chameloncholic at 11:24PM, Dec. 27, 2005
(online)
He can still colour messily, but now he can call it “stylistic choice”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Ozoneocean at 8:35AM, Jan. 6, 2017
(online)
This thread is from about 12 years ago or so…
So it's old.

But tablets have come a LONG way since then, so what are the recommendations now? How have things changed since 2005?

I'm still using my 21 inch Wacom Cintiq which was the cream of the cream back then but now Wacom has far better stuff on offer, there are all sorts of Microsoft Surface tablets and PCs, many Android tablets with pressure sensitive pens, lots of Windows tablets too, there's even a Wacom stylus for the ipad and special option pen you can get for the ipad pro.

So what do people recommend?
HippieVan at 12:15PM, Jan. 6, 2017
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
This thread is from about 12 years ago or so…
So it's old.

But tablets have come a LONG way since then, so what are the recommendations now? How have things changed since 2005?

I'm still using my 21 inch Wacom Cintiq which was the cream of the cream back then but now Wacom has far better stuff on offer, there are all sorts of Microsoft Surface tablets and PCs, many Android tablets with pressure sensitive pens, lots of Windows tablets too, there's even a Wacom stylus for the ipad and special option pen you can get for the ipad pro.

So what do people recommend?

I'm still jealous of your Cintiq, though! I have a nice big Wacom Bamboo Fun that's a few years old now but it still works great. I also use my iPad mini with an adonit Jot Touch pen (the iPad isn't pressure sensitive but the pen is), and that works surprisingly well. The only nuisance is having to charge the pen every so often.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Mika_yi at 6:41AM, Jan. 9, 2017
(offline)
I used to own a small Wacom when they first came out. But I accidentally toss my pen into a water bowel for my dogs and it went dead. I got a bamboo tablet which I had for years until recently. With all the os upgrades I don't think that poor tablet could keep up. But I loved them both very much.

At one point I did debate on getting a larger tablet or a tablet computer. I got a galaxy for Christmas one year it was nice but not the same consistency as a Wacom. What needed up happening was it wasn't that consistent in reading pen to tablet no matter what I used closest was the bamboo pen, still not the best. And I was used to photoshop.

I haven't seen anyone come up with this one but I actually got the surface pro4 , I absolutely love it. The pen reader is on point and the tablet runs photoshop. It's fast and a lot more convenient. I reall do love it and have to say that by far is my favorite. I do however still draw my comics on paper and outline, I do draw on the tablet once in a while but for the most part I color and detail or tone using that.
alejkhan at 7:03AM, Jan. 9, 2017
(online)
I have been using a wacom intuos tablet for the past three or four years, and it does the job but has its flaws. I actually had to replace it a year in to using it because I dropped it, and it fell into its stupidly positioned plug. The plug bent the internal workings and then it stopped being able to take a charge. The replacement has tendency to randomly forget it is pressure sensitive, so I have to restart Photoshop or my computer or unplug and replug it in again. The solution is never consistent. Also, the first pen I had fell apart one day. Totally randomly. The soldered bits on the little motherboard it has inside just crumbled off it.

I've used a cintiq before, the 22 inch one I believe, and while I like the idea of it and it was genuinely responsive and made drawing easier, I felt like I was surely going to develop a tumor in my hand for how flipping hot that screen got.

I'm a bit torn by these things. My intuos works well enough, so I'm not getting rid of it or replacing it until it finally dies, but the idea of a tablet that can actually run software and be completely portable like a digital sketchbook is really appealing. I just wish the ones I would need for both work and fun would not cost over $2000.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon