Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Windows XP is being discontinued. Microsoft must be really "Soft" in the head.
SpANG at 11:15AM, May 16, 2008
(online)
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Ozoneocean at 11:19AM, May 16, 2008
(online)
Ooooo
*blush*
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
anonymousposterchild at 6:24PM, May 16, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
In which case I shall have to marry and then cheat on you with a series of artistic itinerant lovers.

Fine.

As long as we consummate.
Official DrunkDuck curmudgeon
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
spacehamster at 5:16AM, May 18, 2008
(online)
Well, obviously they're going to pull their old OS from the market eventually. That's how it works. There seems to be more resistance to Vista than previous Windows versions, so it seems more like MS is “forcing” people to use their substandard new product that nobody wants now, but it was to be expected that XP wouldn't be produced anymore soon.

As for how we're all going to be using Vista soon and then everyone'll stop complaining, Vista was the main reason why I switched to Mac, and at the moment, I don't see myself putting up with Windows ever again. I've used Vista for a grand total of five minutes, and I immediately wanted to throw the laptop it was on out the… window, not to mention the way it's dressed up to look as much as OSX as they can legally get away with is effn' ridiculous.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Ozoneocean at 5:49AM, May 18, 2008
(online)
anonymousposterchild
As long as we consummate.
Of course. Be gentle :(
spacehamster
Well, obviously they're going to pull their old OS from the market eventually. That's how it works.
Yup, but the complication there is that XP works better on older machines.
People here aren't realising that that is what makes Vista different from earlier Windows OSs. ;)

Because of the way hardware and software development has gone in the past few years: you don't need the latest gear to run things. So people haven't upgraded as much. Is it worth upgrading to a new system just for an OS that will run the same programs anyway? Not really…
——–

And again: Vista is fine. On newer machines. It really is. Works great ^_^
spacehamster at 7:38AM, May 18, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
Because of the way hardware and software development has gone in the past few years: you don't need the latest gear to run things. So people haven't upgraded as much. Is it worth upgrading to a new system just for an OS that will run the same programs anyway? Not really…

Yeah, but if you have an older machine, you'll also have whatever OS it came with, so I fail to see the problem here. The only scenario where this is an issue is if someone somehow buys an older PC with nothing installed and wants to get a copy of XP to run on it.

By the way, the notion of an operating system that in and of itself requires so many resources that it only runs on state of the art machines makes me shake my head so uncontrollably, my neck is cracking. But maybe that's just me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
SpANG at 1:37PM, May 18, 2008
(online)
Since Microsoft actually develops a lot of the software for Mac, and has an invested stock share in the company, switching to a Mac is a little less “defiant” than you might think. Sure Macintosh may be better. But it's also waaaaaayyy more expensive and exclusive too. I work in the tech support field, Mac has their share of issues too. The only reason there are less is because there are less machines out there.

As far as the “state of the art” machines only handling Vista, yep, that's really a no-brainer. You wouldn't be running XP on a 486 either. That's just the nature of technology. Soon these “state of the art” machines will be antiques, too.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Ozoneocean at 4:28PM, May 18, 2008
(online)
spacehamster
Yeah, but if you have an older machine, you'll also have whatever OS it came with, so I fail to see the problem here.
There's no problem, that was an explanation for the slow take up of Vista ;)
sandy at 7:31PM, May 18, 2008
(online)
Now that I know that there are support drivers for older peripherals I feel a lot better about switching over to Vista when the time comes. For me that may not be for another five years yet, because I just purchased this new computer last october.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
Llama_Comic at 9:40AM, May 23, 2008
(offline)
Maybe newer computers aren't having as many problems with Vista since it has been out a while, but mine was bought a few months after Vista release, let me give the run-down.

- There is no functional driver for my 10/100 Ethernet card. I've tried them. I've rolled them back. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled the card. Nothing.

- Vista thinks my DVD burner is a CD burner only. See above for my attempts to fix this.

- It crashes at least once a day, particularly if trying to run Photoshop.

- I have 3 computer games that just won't run on Vista. I've even tried dealing with the run environment settings. Nothing again.

Generally, the slight upgrades and few new features definitely don't outweigh the problems and massive resource consumption. A Mac with the same hardware setup would freakin' fly compared to this machine. I am waited with baited breath for Service Pack 1. My next machine with me a Mac with Open Office. Hoo-rah!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Aurora Borealis at 5:49PM, May 23, 2008
(online)
SpANG
As far as the “state of the art” machines only handling Vista, yep, that's really a no-brainer. You wouldn't be running XP on a 486 either. That's just the nature of technology. Soon these “state of the art” machines will be antiques, too.

This is my problem with ANY new version of Windows. Does it REALLY have to take so much space? I mean, XP is bloated with useless crap and I've seen perfectly functional versions floating on the net that were trimmed from all the excessive fat. They take perhaps 300mb and make your pc fly (although it ends up incompatible with some software plus you're using a hacked version so no updates).

From this point, Vista is even more bloated. But it's not fat, it's the gasses inside a rotting dead body swimming in the sea.

If you look back at the history, each new version has unreasonable high requirements without offering much in return. XP with the latest service pack, couple of patches and some theme pack to give it some fancy look will work better on the same configuration. Hell, you can get the same visuals on a linux that runs on 1/4th of Vista's requirements. Operating system should be transparent and running in the background, not eat half of available memory at the start.

The more I am typing this, the more I miss the good old days of Amiga and Workbench which came on five floppies. And AmigaOS itself, the really really background stuff needed to run everything, was sitting in a 1mb ROM Kickstart.

Ok, I am ranting so I'll stop :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Scheiden at 3:46PM, Sept. 23, 2008
(offline)
I don't really have a new laptop but my friends at school does. Everytime I'll borrow their laptops for editing my work in photoshop, it would always hang up on me. Photoshop is also not compatible with Vista. My other friend says that despite her antivirus and Vista's security thingy majiggy, she still gets viruses into her systems despite her not going to dangerous sites. 70% of my school uses vista and all of them says that it sucks.

And so I said…

So why not buy a Mac? Mac = work efficiency. If you still want Xp. You could boot Xp in Mac! It's just that easy!

You'll have to have a lot of money though -___-''''
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
Custard Trout at 5:56PM, Sept. 23, 2008
(offline)
Although I prefer to ignore this sort of thing, I'd like to ask- no, beg you, to stop fucking necroposting please or I swear to god I'll ask you again. The discussion is no longer relevant, ok? It was over months ago.

Also, Photoshop works fine in Vista. Vista is fine, the only problem is that it's a resource whore and you need a good machine to run it properly.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
subcultured at 6:48PM, Sept. 23, 2008
(online)
dont be rude, the user is new
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
Custard Trout at 7:25PM, Sept. 23, 2008
(offline)
It's common sense, how long she/he's been here has nothing to do with it.
subcultured at 8:05PM, Sept. 23, 2008
(online)
i understand what you are saying, but there are better ways to say it without cussing out the new user.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
Custard Trout at 8:29PM, Sept. 23, 2008
(offline)
Yeah, probably. It just pisses me off.
Lonnehart at 8:58PM, Sept. 23, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
It came out with the introduction of Vista man… games are already using it. :)

True. But one day games will come out that will only run on Vista. That'll be the day I switch to Vista. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Ironscarfs Ghost at 3:35AM, Sept. 24, 2008
(offline)
Subcultured
i understand what you are saying, but there are better ways to say it without cussing out the new user.

You should also know he's remaking his ex comic. Creative struggle make short fuse!

Hey Sub' - your comic looks great! Plus you look like a guy I wouldn't wanna meet in a spaghetti western. :stache:
Er……..boo!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Custard Trout at 5:20AM, Sept. 24, 2008
(offline)
I wish you'd stop bringing that up.
Ironscarfs Ghost at 5:41AM, Sept. 24, 2008
(offline)
Custard Trout
I wish you'd stop bringing that up.

I genuinely wasn't intending to take the piss, but I see from your lack of expletives that you're getting genuinely annoyed.

My lips are sealed :-O
Er……..boo!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon