Comic Talk and General Discussion *

QUACKCAST 54 -Creative backgrounds, under the influence.
Ozoneocean at 4:27AM, Nov. 28, 2011
(online)
For Quackcast 54 I want to know about your creative background and how that influences your work!

What kinds
of things from your life have had an influence in your work and what you
put in your comics?

-I'm talking about every aspect, from what influenced your art style (classes at art school for example), to how you came up with your writing technique, to the fact that you have a supporting character based on your friend Dave and you have your characters eating apples because YOU love apples, you have a Cutlass Supreme in your comic because it was your first car, you lead character always wears red because you fricken LOVE red, and part of your story is based on a funny thing that happened to you and your fiends on your 16th birthday…

Yeah, I want all that sort of thing! Talk about Music, Movies, stuff from real life, whatever, if it had an influence on your comic tell me about it- Tell me about how that thing changed your work! ^_^
Genejoke at 6:23AM, Nov. 28, 2011
(online)
Interesting, will sort something out for it tonight.
Abt_Nihil at 7:28AM, Nov. 28, 2011
(offline)
Ooooh, very interesting topic. I could probably fill a whole quackcast by myself, talking about these things :P

My mother is a librarian, and she used to bring me novels and comics as a kid, so I'm equally used to prose and sequential storytelling. The idea that comics can tell just as complex and mature stories as “high literature” is at the core of my understanding of comics. Animation and movies also fascinate me, and I often find myself trying to achieve a feel that is more akin to the cartoons/animes or movies I watch, than sticking to, say, the norms of what a good illustration in a comic should be.

Prime examples of that would be my trying to channel the sheer awesomeness of 2001 and the kinetics of FLCL in everything I do. Other influences are progressively added on top of that… (Holon openly pays tribute to a lot of my current influences; there's a “references” subpage on the comic site.)

I've never taken any art or creative writing courses, so everything I do is based on trial and error. I think when I first started making longer comics, my writing was quite convoluted. Any progress since then can be attributed to (1) feedback (making webcomics is obviously great for that), (2) reading more books and comics and watching more movies, studying the way they do it, and (3) refining my own inherent/“innate” techniques.

Content-wise, my comics mainly build on my frustrations with the real world, which are partly of a political/sociological nature, and are partly centered around specific persons in my life. Then I disguise that with (hopefully) interesting visuals and some philosophical meta-topics.

One popular misconception about me is that since I'm an artist, I have to be a good observer. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I don't care about a lot of things in real life, and I just don't look at things that aren't interesting to me. I don't make art for art's sake, where I see something and it just strikes me and I need to put it on paper. That's not the way I work. I'm all about ideas, relationships, intangible things which are rarely ever associated with clear visuals, and the visuals in my comics are just my best approximation of my ideas… I guess the only real-life object in which the raw immaterial idea and the actual visual coincide is an attractive woman. That's why my comics always have those at their center! :P
last edited on Nov. 28, 2011 7:35AM
FormerDDer at 10:33AM, Nov. 28, 2011
(offline)
Damn OZ, this QC will be cake for you. The contributions and recordings from us alone will easily fill up the timeslot. You might not have to do anything!

I'll probably record something. It'll be short though, because the creative background of my comic is prettysimple.
Genejoke at 2:00PM, Nov. 28, 2011
(online)
This is a big broad topic, I could discuss so many things and I have no idea what will be most interesting. Rather than record something I'm just gonna type this up here.
Art wise i've enjoyed drawing since a wee baby and whatever I saw inspired me, be it insects, people animals or things on TV. If I like something or get into anything I have to draw it. I'm fairly easily inspired so the trick for me is not to let things inspire me too directly. I've been into role playing since I was a kid and the art in the books always inspired me, just as much as the writing and settings of the games did. I used to pour over the art of things like the DSometimes that art style of computer games too.

It was usually more to do with the way the images inspired my imagination rather than the technical proficiency. Although that never hurt.
ayesinback at 3:09PM, Nov. 28, 2011
(online)
yes - huge and interesting topic.

maybe I'll record something - but in case I don't, I know for a
fact that my first drawings (and I've saved a few from kindergarden) were of
people. Characters were my first interest, and I haven't changed much
from that other than having characters in certain situations. Generally,
the situations are mundane, often ironic. Sometimes they domino into a
fantasy.

And I have had a lifelong respect (? is that the word? maybe
hunger) for illustration, particularly children's illustrators: Rackham,
Pyle, Wyeth(s), Beatrix Potter, Kate Greenaway, Jessie Wilcox Smith, Kay
Nielson – oofa, and the contemporaries!! jaybus, it goes on and
on.

But as much as I love art, the art is not the stay. It's the
writing that draws and keeps me. If the storytelling isn't there - well,
I just may not come back to a piece. And I don't have anyone to point
at as an example – no pinnacle. It's like obscenity, I know good
writing when I see (read) it.

For my stuff, I don't have hang-ups about the writing. No doubt
it can be improved, but I've generally been able to express myself in words so
much more aptly than I have in art. What I'm working on (and It will be
ongoing for an unforseeable future) is to find my own style, without aping
someone else.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
gullas at 6:41PM, Nov. 28, 2011
(offline)
might actually want to record myself for this one. When is the deadline for submissions?
Ozoneocean at 7:52PM, Nov. 28, 2011
(online)
The deadline is this Friday. That's the 2nd of December.
Friday night that is. So you have until midnight on Friday to have your submissions in. :)

Thanks for the great stuff so far! Keep it coming!
PIT_FACE at 8:43PM, Nov. 28, 2011
(online)
aesome! gona slap something together. (twirls mustache) FEAR NOT! I GOT A NEW MICROPHONE!!!

ayesinback at 6:30AM, Nov. 29, 2011
(online)
PIT_FACE wrote:
FEAR NOT! I GOT A NEW MICROPHONE!!!
but THIS, precisely, has been The Fear. now realized. :P
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
RPGgrenade at 11:25AM, Nov. 29, 2011
(online)
I can't say that my comic's style wasn't heavily influenced by manga, cuz then I'd be lying, i used to read all sorts of manga and webcomics of all sorts, either bad or good or whatever. And i just grabbed little bits and pieces from that and turned it into comics.

My writing style isn't really something i think about, i just think of “how can i make this aspect of bartending interesting?” (since that's kind of the premise of my comic), I just try to make something so mundane actually entertaining without turning it into a pure action comic.

The story of the comic though, that started during a time when i was very depressed over a fight with a best friend (the fight lasted a year, too) and i was so depressed that i was willing to read “Bartender”, a manga that's about a bartender (How'd you know?!). Back then i was super prejudiced about alcohol and all things drug related, so i thought if i read this i'd at least get what all the fuss was about….and i did. I learned hardcore, I learned of alcohol's extreme depth, complexity and cultural aspects, both the good and the bad, i started researching, buying cocktail books, and admiring the house Bar that i used to despise.

Then as my family was on vacation, my sister showed me something (i'd been doing comics for a while by then, but stopped because of the depression) in the newspaper, it said there was going to be an international wine comics competition (inspired by the super popular Manga about wine called ‘Kami no Shizuku’), originally that's what the comic was going to be about, but i then learned i was too young to even partake in said competition, and i didn't know anything about wine, only the super basics, so i decided to make it about bartending instead, i wasn't about to give them the character rights, too. And that's how my comic was born.

As for the protagonist's name, as it used to be about wine, i wanted to the protagonist to have a name related to wine that wasn't too lame. My sister (once again) blurted out “maybe name him after that greek god of wine”, i didn't know the greek one's name (dionesius) so i used the roman one's name, thus Bacchus was born.

some of the major parts of my comic are inspired off of manga as well, for example the ‘cocktail battles’ is something i got from another manga called “addicted to Curry” where they had “curry battles”: basically just trying to make a better curry than your opponent. so i figured i could use that for my comic (and that's where i thought of the tournament). As for the style of the ‘battles’ I used a mix of two tropes that are heavily used in two different manga. One being the “What do you mean it's not awesome?” trope heavily used in “Death Note”, where basically every mundane thing you do is totally awesome or super dramatic and meaningful like here where http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeXMt_H7N6k
there have a been a load of suggestions from friends on what to do in my comic and really i don't pay attention to most of them because they are pretty dumb ideas most of the time but i usually incorporate some more or less.

Other than all that all i can really think of that helped inspire my comic would be all the bartending stuff i've done at home, testing out new drinks, learning about wines and drinks till exhaustion, learning the extremely complex theory of mixology and other things. I thank manga for giving me that little push.

The liquid creations of Gods passed down to man, but sometimes an object of the gods' realm can cause chaos in the mortal realm.
Read Nectar of the Gods!
FormerDDer at 1:59PM, Nov. 30, 2011
(offline)
So I recorded something, but it's exactly six minutes long. Is that a problem?
Ozoneocean at 4:46PM, Nov. 30, 2011
(online)
6 mintes IS a bit long… Half that is usally better.
I could cut it in half though and have a bit here and a bit there… :)
FormerDDer at 12:00AM, Dec. 1, 2011
(offline)
Nah, I'll just rerecord a shorter one. No problem!
Genejoke at 1:54AM, Dec. 1, 2011
(online)
One of the reasons I didn't record anything,or more accurately I did record but abandoned it as the length wouldn't work. You should get some guests on for it, there will be plenty to talk about. you could possibly get a few QCs out of it with fdifferent guests.
Ozoneocean at 3:58AM, Dec. 1, 2011
(online)
For this one it's going to be focussed on contributions. If I had a guest it would be massively unfair to them because they'd only have a small amount of time to shine. With a guest I like as much focus to be on them as possible, I don't want to keep on cutting out to read contributions and play recordings etc. :(

So please, please record your thing! If you're worried that it'll be too long, just focuss on a couple of things that mean the most to you. Try and keep it to 2 or 3 mins max. I think those are good times?
Genejoke at 4:56AM, Dec. 1, 2011
(online)
I suppose I could talk really fast. will giv eit a shot.
Ozoneocean at 5:43AM, Dec. 1, 2011
(online)
Thanks man! That'd be great ^_^
PIT_FACE at 7:45AM, Dec. 1, 2011
(online)
ayesinback wrote:
PIT_FACE wrote:
FEAR NOT! I GOT A NEW MICROPHONE!!!

but THIS, precisely, has been The Fear. now realized. :P
oh….
well then TREMBLE ye of inferior sonic indiscresions!!!

last edited on Dec. 1, 2011 7:48AM
FormerDDer at 12:01PM, Dec. 1, 2011
(offline)
Rerecorded, focused on the most important idea, and it's three minutes with two seconds. OZ, mind PQing me an email address that I can send the file to?
Ozoneocean at 6:41PM, Dec. 1, 2011
(online)
@Nicky- ozoneocean AT gmail.com

@Pit “inferior sonic indiscresions!!!” sounds like you're talking about farts. :)
PIT_FACE at 8:52AM, Dec. 2, 2011
(online)
never said i wasnt.

Genejoke at 1:33AM, Dec. 3, 2011
(online)
It's probably too late but I just sent you a recording, days got away from me.
Ozoneocean at 4:47AM, Dec. 3, 2011
(online)
That's fine man. No worries!
Ozoneocean at 6:27PM, Dec. 4, 2011
(online)
This one is done with now too. I've edited it up together and now I just have to do the notes and put those in as well.

OK, quackcast 55! I have to go though my topic list and see which one is best… I will have to have a guest on this week too. I will get back to you guys about a topic so you can organise contributions, if it's that sort of topic :)

Maybe something Christmas related…? Only two Quackcasts to go before Christmass…? Naw. 26 will be the Christmas one!
last edited on Dec. 4, 2011 6:30PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon