Networking & Community Projects*

Drunk Duck Awards 2018 - Volunteer Sign Ups
Niccea at 5:50PM, July 3, 2018
(offline)
The Drunk Duck Awards is only able to happen every year because of the dedication of the volunteers. If you have some spare time during August and September, please consider volunteering to help out the awards. Here are the two most common positions, what they entail, and how to sign up (different rules for each one.) You can take an as many volunteering duties as you want. No artistic or judging skills necessary.

Presenter

Do you like being in the spotlight? Do you want the everyone to see your art? If so, being a presenter is right for you. The presenters will have the months of August and September to create their presentation pages for the awards.

Structure
The presentation pages need to have the nominees for the award, and leave a space for the name of the winner to be placed on the page. Some people leave a white space at the bottom and others leave speech bubbles. Either way it is up to you. The only rule regarding the presentation pages is that they have to be viewable by everyone. So, keep the pages PG at the worst and no slanderous/insulting remarks against other users/comics.

There are two ways to sign up to be a presenter this year. Whichever way you sign up to be a presenter please state if you want to do more than one page and any likes or dislikes for the categories. We will try to accommodate. You can either PQ me or email me at niccea(at)gmail(dot)com. Please include Presenter Signup in the subject line. You can also sign up on this thread.

Judge

Do you like telling other people what you think? Do you quietly observe comics like a stalker in the corner? Consider judging. The judges are the heart and soul of the awards. It is up to them to decide the winners from each category. This is also done during the months of August and September.

Structure
Judges, though they are not expected to be professional art critics, are required to put some thought behind their decision. The best way for judges to show this is to do a pro and con comparison of the nominees. Though anything is all right as long as it is easy to see that some thought went into picking the winner. Judges are only responsible for reading the last years worth of comics for the nominees. (July 2017 August 2018). The only exception to this is the Best Completed Comic where the judges are encouraged to read the entire comic.

If you already have an account on theJudges Forum. Go ahead and go to the thread set aside for judging sign ups and sign up.
If you havent made an account yet, go ahead and create one. Post here or PQ me with the user name that you have used, so I know to activate the account. From there you can sign up to be a judge for this year on the forum.
Please remember to post on the sign up thread on the other forum, so we know for sure that you are signing up to judge.

Other Opportunities

If you wish to contribute in any other way, please let me know here or by PQ. Extra pages are always accepted. Do what you do best.
usedbooks at 12:46PM, July 4, 2018
(online)
Please PQ me my log-in name etc. from the judging forum. I have gotten a new computer in the off-season, and I have no memory in my own brain.

Also, I volunteer to judge (probably start with three categories, like before), and I'm sure I can set some time aside for a presentation.
bravo1102 at 2:38AM, July 5, 2018
(offline)
Judge! It's not like you have to be a genius or some great talent! All you need is an opinion that you are willing to Express. It's totally private and none will ever know except your fellow judges and they are a very tight lipped group.

And not only that, but you'll discover and see all kinds of new and interesting comics you otherwise would never have experienced! It's a real win-win.

You also often learn lots of new and interesting techniques and styles and even get inspired with all kinds of new ideas. It's a win-win-win!

And presentations? You thought fyc were fun? A little self deprecating humor goes a long way and you can attract new readers to your comic by having your characters interact while giving an award. You can even play with costumes! What would they wear to a formal awards show?
KimLuster at 6:45AM, July 5, 2018
(online)
What Bravo said!

I'll volunteer for my typical 3 judgings, 3 presentations, possibly volunteering for more if there's a great need when crunch time comes and my time allows!
Genejoke at 10:33AM, July 6, 2018
(online)
I'll do some judging and presenting. judging say 3 categories and I'll happily do more if needed. presentations, well let's say one, but happy to help with more if needed.
Mika_yi at 6:45AM, July 9, 2018
(offline)
I wouldn’t mind doing some presentations this year.
I am a terrible judge so I can’t do that, but I’ll do some presentation again.
Albino Ginger at 6:49AM, July 15, 2018
(offline)
I’ll volunteer as a presenter if you guys still need them. not shore how much free time I will have, so I’ll say one page for now, but I might be able to do more.
El Cid at 5:07PM, July 28, 2018
(online)
I can do a presentation, and I can judge some categories. Hmm, how many categories? How many fingers do I have? One… two… three. I can judge three categories!
usedbooks at 9:15PM, July 28, 2018
(online)
I cannot remember my login for the judges forum (handle or password). Could you message me?
Tantz_Aerine at 4:46PM, July 29, 2018
(online)
Judge as always :) Just please remind me my damn password…

oh, and 3 categories to start with. No adult please!
last edited on July 29, 2018 4:47PM
KDog at 2:55PM, July 31, 2018
(online)
I'll judge. Any category, aside from completed. Fine with the nudie comics! :-D

I'm signed up under KDog - need an account activation. Thanks!
last edited on July 31, 2018 7:26PM
Banes at 1:26PM, Aug. 4, 2018
(offline)
I'll do 3 presentations as well!

Banes at 2:42PM, Aug. 15, 2018
(offline)
I'll take another 5 presentations if it's needed!

bravo1102 at 3:01AM, Aug. 16, 2018
(offline)
Me too. I'll take up to another 5 if needed but definitely two more would work well. Got lots of tuxedos and gowns. Or maybe some will get outfits painted on.
El Cid at 2:45PM, Sept. 21, 2018
(online)
Are there any judging or presentation spots we're still short on?
usedbooks at 10:14AM, Sept. 27, 2018
(online)
Hey all. I feel bad about backing out of a category after having lost any time I could devote to giving a proper read and critique, so I'm going to step in with some admin stuff (if Niccea doesn't mind).

Here's where we need help!

This category has NO judge (assigned judge went MIA) and is most critical.
Best Dialogue

These categories are looking for a second judge.

Sci-fi
Protagonist
Overall Story
Manga
Humor
Horror
Completed Comic
Comic Layouts
Anthropomorphic
All Ages
Adventure
Action

Let me know what you can step into, and I'll make it happen.
last edited on Sept. 29, 2018 7:41AM
Niccea at 7:17AM, Sept. 29, 2018
(offline)
I haven't check back on this paticular thread in a while. I am not sure if I gave out presentations to those that said they can do more. Please PQ me.
KimLuster at 11:39AM, Oct. 3, 2018
(online)
I'm winding up on the extra judging I did - how many more presentations are needed? I might can take one or two more (might have to keep 'em kinda simple)!
usedbooks at 12:17PM, Oct. 3, 2018
(online)
If anyone wants to get involved in deciding the 2018 DD Award winners, there are just seven judging slots up for grabs now!
Lightfoot at 11:54PM, Oct. 14, 2018
(online)
Do you still need judges? What things are done but you're waiting on someone, versus you're waiting for someone to volunteer? Or is it all going smoothly?
Niccea at 7:50AM, Oct. 16, 2018
(offline)
We are all wrapped up. Just haven't closed the thread.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon