Comic Talk and General Discussion *

So... I hear that the golden age of the internet is over...
lothar at 7:13AM, Nov. 6, 2019
(offline)
I was watching the YouTube as i often do and i came across a video about how the internet is becoming more corporate and sites like ours after becoming ghost towns. It seems to be true… Even though i don't like it. I would like to go back to how it was about 12 years ago.

What are your thoughts? It's there a future for little sites like DD? IT seems ridiculous to call dd a little site, back in the day it was the biggest online comic site. I can't stand shit like FB and etc.

Do you think they're will be a Renaissance of smaller sites and more freedom in generally? Or are we doomed to a we 1984 type scenario where China controls the internal and people are limited in their artistic expression?
El Cid at 8:40AM, Nov. 6, 2019
(online)
When the regular internet becomes Disney Land, the Dark Web will become the regular internet.
lothar at 4:53PM, Nov. 6, 2019
(offline)
Fuck ! Even disneyland used to be better. I remember when groups of drugged out goths and punkers roamed that place.

Where does DD for in in all of this? Are we becoming dark web… Grey web ? The interzone?
Ozoneocean at 10:44PM, Nov. 6, 2019
(online)
It's been over for years. Very soon after the rise of Facebook, the iPhone coming out and Google buying everything. Probably about 2015 or a bit earlier is when it was officially over.

DD survives on the fringes, like some sort of mythical little Mad Max oasis town in the middle of the desert.

We can go on ok in the shadow of these monsters but even we could be snapped up by one of those giants and become a crappy corporate. You never know.
bravo1102 at 1:52AM, Nov. 7, 2019
(offline)
So far the internet monsters have been leaving certain niche groups to themselves.

Comics, movies and all their licenses are where it's big, but some hobbies are skating under the radar.

But licenses for Disney products did bring down one of the great model companies. Dragon pretty much gave up producing superior models for making Disney licensed toys. (MCU, Star Wars etc.)

Even the 1/6 market is saturated with super expensive Disney licensed properties. Their licenses broke the $100 per figure price point and are going for the $200. The detail is great but not $200 worth of great.

When Disney and Google owned the world: a look back at the 21st century" that title will probably sum up our century. I think I glimpsed the title on Picard's bookshelf.

last edited on Nov. 7, 2019 1:54AM
plymayer at 2:00AM, Nov. 9, 2019
(online)
You young kids and your interwebs and you tubes.

Things are always changing. Good? Bad?
Wasn't that long ago messages were sent around the world on FIDO net and usenet and BBS's.

Miss dialing up and catching up on my favorite BBS in the middle of the night when online traffic was slower.

I love it here. Hope the new net leaves us alone at least for awhile.
rickrudge at 5:25PM, Nov. 12, 2019
(offline)
Actually my main complaint is that most web sites are no longer properly maintained, even by businesses with dedicated web publishers.

My favorite motor scooter web site lacked any new forum postings for awhile, and then I started seeing a bunch of spam postings. Nothing was done to clean them up. A couple of days ago, the web site simply vanished, along with important information.

It’s kind of ironic that the bad old days of the Internet, people had to do so much more work to keep them up. From the old BBS’s to active web sites takes a lot of dedication. This was before the latest software made it possible to create web sites by trained monkeys. You still need to be on top of it.

The Drunk Duck is very active and it’s to the credit of the people managing it that it is a good success. I feel lucky to be able to post to it.

— Rick Rudge
last edited on April 25, 2020 1:56PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon