Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Spring Cleaning?
hushicho at 4:22PM, March 31, 2021
(offline)
I love the Duck, and I'm happy to support the site because the site supports me as a creator. I'll always be in the corner of any such host or community, because whatever our differences, when it counts, they're there to support me and I'm there to support them. Creators need the help and support of a strong community with good leadership that will stand behind them when challenged, and that community needs the robust output of those creators.

I love the site and its design, and I'm very comfortable here. I have been thinking about ways to improve the site, though, and I have thought of a couple:

- I think there could be a bit of tidying of the comics hosted here. There are so many that I see that were either false starts, very short runs, or just abandoned.

My idea is that any comic that is under five pages in length and hasn't been updated in over a year should be archived and taken out of the random selection.

I also think it would make the site look more consistent in general if comics are required to have an icon. There are just too many without them, though most of those are quite old, and many are abandoned.

Just these two things, I think, would make the community more lively and look better in general. It's unfortunate if a casual visitor stops by, looks around, and finds primarily long-abandoned comics and false starts. There are far too many comics that have only a title, or two or three pages, and nothing else; these are obviously not very practical to have as examples of the beautiful creative works that are hosted here.

- I'd also like to suggest that Adult-rated comics at least have their icons visible to visitors who aren't registered, instead of the vague comic page icon with an A on it. We all work within the same rules here, and icons should be presentable to a mostly general audience, especially if they were to be required. Their purpose is to catch the eye, and they should be allowed to do that.

Any way the registration process can be streamlined, of course, I'm all for. Though I don't think it's difficult or complex, or time-consuming at the moment. As someone who works in Mature and Adult material, to use the classifications of the site, I am interested in expanding readership, both for myself and other more mature-minded creators and comics.

Just some ideas, but maybe they'll be helpful! I love the site and how it functions, and I'm very fond of the community here. I think with a few little improvements, it could be even better! I hope you'll agree.
♥*♡∞:。.。 Official Site 。.。:∞♡*♥
last edited on March 31, 2021 4:27PM
Ozoneocean at 7:36PM, March 31, 2021
(online)
Good ideas.
The comic icons would have to be manually approved for the adult comics though. There are people who just don't think or look at rules about that stuff.

I agree about archiving one and done comics.

Also, comic lists, rank and search should always be done by recent updates.

And our thumbnails need to be at least twice the size they are now.

What else?
lothar at 6:20AM, April 1, 2021
(offline)
I don't know about the manually approving the thumbnails for adult comics. I usually change my thumbnail every time i update…. Sometimes

And, personally, I like looking through quails random. You can find a lot of weird stuff in there but I understand why it can be kind of offputting to some people. Some of those have been abandoned since 2007.

There should be a way to see more than just the 10 most recently updated comics… Like a link that says “more”

How about a page that functions like a comic but everytime you go to the next page it's a random page from a different comic.

Also …. PERSONAL PORTAL
bravo1102 at 8:03AM, April 1, 2021
(offline)
Seeing others suggest all these great features and I realize I'm not even using the features that are here. Feel so stupid sometimes. Nah, it's just I put so much into the pages just forget about everything else.

Gotta pay closer attention if ever going to get back to the readership the stuff once enjoyed.
hushicho at 2:12PM, April 4, 2021
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
Good ideas.
The comic icons would have to be manually approved for the adult comics though. There are people who just don't think or look at rules about that stuff.

I agree about archiving one and done comics.

Also, comic lists, rank and search should always be done by recent updates.

And our thumbnails need to be at least twice the size they are now.

What else?

Those were really my only suggestions, because I didn't know how much was possible and I didn't want to just say HEY, HERE'S MORE WORK FOR SOMEONE! But I do think these two fairly small things I suggested might make the site look better. I've grown to really care for and about the Duck, so I've been trying to participate more, personally.

As much as I like looking through the random selection, it just has too many comics that are one or two pages, or never went anywhere and haven't been updated in over a decade. We should keep it vital. At the very least, if something is going to appear on that list, even if it is over a year (or some other decided standard) since it's been updated, it should have a decent enough page count so that a random reader can be satisfied with what they got. There are just far too many things that are obviously not anything the author was dedicated to, or did for a (very brief) kick, and I've even stumbled across titles that were migrated elsewhere but left a placeholder here…and the place they migrated to doesn't exist anymore, so all it ends up being is a sad, disappointing placeholder for something that will never update again. There are particularly a few that were only ever just title pages and sketches, which never went to any story.

While I'm fine with those persisting, I'd prefer just not to see it on the random selection, and I think random visitors are more likely to be engaged if they see at least something of a significant page count or a title which has been updated relatively recently. The random assortment would really excel when its purpose, I think, is to introduce an audience to titles they otherwise might not see or know about, so that they can become interested and follow those titles' updates. It's a bit disappointing, even depressing, if the bulk of the random suggestions lead to titles no longer updated (or never really begun) for years.

But there could be two random selections, like Fresh! and Anything at all, or if someone is available who has the skill to do it, even optional filters for a random selection; the individual user might choose an “older than…” or “newer than…” option. I wouldn't want everything that's ended or the story told to be thrown out with the bathwater, as it were, and there are creators who have passed on with their work still posted, I'm sure, so I wouldn't want to just throw it out or anything like that, just to explain.

As far as icons being manually approved…I'm of a mixed opinion on this. Everyone, of course, should have to go by the standards, I think: nothing explicit on an icon. There are so many ways to be attention-grabbing without putting something inappropriate on an icon, and I don't consider it censorship. And (some of) you know me – I'm a ride or die when it comes to fighting censorship.

I trust most of the people here enough to give them the benefit of the doubt. We don't have a phenomenally huge number of Adult-rated comics, and I have yet to see anything on an icon that wouldn't be acceptable for general audiences, at least in most places. It could just be done on a case-by-case basis; I don't think we're going to see much in the way of people defying that, as long as it's mentioned unequivocally.

I do agree with lothar that it would be great to have a “more” button, to see all the latest comic updates. I do think that a personal portal would be nice, but I've seen a lot of sites do that really poorly, so I'm not as attached to it. I do think it's a pleasant idea, I just don't know if it's possible to do well, and I'd rather it not be done at all than implemented as poorly as most sites.

But that's just my two bits. I hope the suggestions will be helpful, and though I don't know what I can do to be of assistance, I'd be happy to try and pitch in wherever I can. Thanks so much for listening and taking the suggestions. I do appreciate it, and I do like this community a great deal!
♥*♡∞:。.。 Official Site 。.。:∞♡*♥
last edited on April 4, 2021 2:28PM
L.C.Stein at 2:37PM, April 4, 2021
(offline)
I agree with these suggestions. Chances are, if someone has not updated their 3 page comic in 5 years, I doubt they would miss it. Front page real estate is key so if a lot of abandoned comics are showing up and pushing the regularly updated ones out of an opportunity for visibility, its not ideal. No one wants to drive through a neighborhood of foreclosed and neglected houses.

I do have a “scrapbook” comic for Duck fan art and stuff basically so I can easily post pics in the forums, but if that can be archived, that would be great.
last edited on April 4, 2021 2:38PM
bravo1102 at 12:55AM, April 6, 2021
(offline)
I would hope that completed comics with high page counts wouldn't get lost in an archive of “one page stands”

They may no longer update but are completed stand alone projects so should maybe have their own section in the archive. A drop down option of how recently updated something is would still pass over older completed comics so creators who finish projects could be lumped with those who only barely started.

It would also pass up comics on long term hiatus. I know to some it's a dirty word but a handful of established titles have returned from long pauses. Should we leave them out of random? Maybe a new random reader might trigger a restart.

Though of course one could occasionally throw up promo pages to keep the older stuff relevant. Just something to think about.
last edited on April 6, 2021 12:58AM
Ozoneocean at 7:29PM, May 19, 2021
(online)
midea wrote:
Once, a mother pig sent her three little children into the world. They needed to look after themselves.adult toys

You sir are phuking imbecile of a spammer and your account will soon be terminated. I hope you die.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon