Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Character Voices
J_Scarbrough at 7:48PM, Sept. 14, 2022
(offline)
This was another interesting thread over at ComicFury, so I thought it could be something we could discuss here as well.

Now granted, I myself have never been particularly interested in seeing VAMPIRE GIRL animated (I have played with the idea of adapting it into a live-action short though), however I have been asked occasionally over the years what sort of voice actors have I ever had in mind for the characters, and admittedly, it is something that I've thought about from time to time, and I do believe I have an ideal voice cast in my mind. . . .

• Levana: Nika Futterman; I definitely hear her Mike (from MIKE, LU honestly, just her natural voice would suffice for me (on an unrelated note, she was supposed to appear out our local con this year, but she canceled for unknown reasons).
  • Dr. Charmin: Tom Kane; like Professor Utonium, but just a little higher, but sometimes Professor could have that smooth sort of a voice, which would definitely match Dr. Charmin's charming demeanor . . . unfortunately, since Tom had a stroke a few years ago and can no longer do voices, I can't really think of any other voice actor whose range is similar enough to sound like him. Maybe Jeff Bennett? Not sure.
  • Vampire Hunter: Michael Dorn; just Michael Dorn, nuff said.
  • Goofy Idiot Sidekick: Rob Paulsen; likewise, just seems to be a natural fit, since he's great at those kind of nerdy/neurotic sort of voices.
  • Sigfred N. LeRoy: John Byner; specifically his Jackie Mason impersonation that he used to voice Blue Aardvark in those old THE ANT AND THE AARDVARK cartoons.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
bravo1102 at 6:10AM, Sept. 15, 2022
(offline)
If one of my comics was animated I'd do all the male voices myself. Those guys on South Park and Family Guy can do it so can I.

Live action I'd be one of the Grey Guys. I'd have it written into the contract. I actually read a lot of the dialogue out loud to tweak flow and cadence.
J_Scarbrough at 2:17PM, Sept. 15, 2022
(offline)
Karumtoo - This robot sheriff has his own gruff voice with either a southern accent (like Warden Chalmers from WordGirl voiced by Tom Kenny) or just a flamboyant American accent of any kind. I could do this voice myself or get an actor to do this.
Considering I'm from Tennessee, and many of my non-southern friends are quick to point out I have an accent (albeit apparently an inconsistent one that seems to come and go), I could probably do such a voice, lol. But otherwise, a robot with a flamboyant American accent sounds like such an amusing concept.

Joseph Scarbrough
J_Scarbrough at 1:26PM, March 22, 2023
(offline)
This video essay of MIKE, LU & OG features clips of the show from PAL broadcasts, and the specific clip at the 6:58 mark (not to mention the narrator's comments about Nika Futterman as her voice actor) provides exactly the sound for Levana's voice that's been in my mind since I created the character. (“Look Princee Pouty, I don't know who stole it, and neither do you, but I know one thing, it wasn't me.”)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVEKy81SBN0

Now that some new characters have been formally introduced in the comic, I have some thoughts about their voices as well, starting with Saul & Paul: the twin brothers who look nothing alike. For Saul (the shorter of the two), I definitely hear a Joe Pesci/Bruno Kirby type of voice in my mind, and as such, I had actually thought of Chick Venerra (the voice of Pesto from THE GOODFEATHERS on ANIMANIACS) . . . but he died while I was still in the process of working on the strips that have been published in recent months, and the only other one I can think of who can really do a decent Joe Pesci kind of voice is Carlos Alazraqui (or perhaps Bill Hader, but I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to handing voice acting jobs on silver platters to former SNL castmembers, thus depriving actual voice actors of their own work). Paul (the taller of the two) is much trickier, and honestly, I would probably even do his voice myself, if only because I can't think of any prominent voice actor who could do the kind of voice I have in mind for him . . . except for maybe Tim Kelly, who's actually a friend of mine who's done quite a bit of character acting over the years (mostly for his brother's indie films and series).

For the Vampiress, going back to Nika Futterman again, and specifically that really raspy and Transylvanian-accented voice she uses for Lucy's friend Boris from THE LOUD HOUSE.

Joseph Scarbrough
kawaiidaigakusei at 12:24AM, March 23, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
(or perhaps Bill Hader, but I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to handing voice acting jobs on silver platters to former SNL castmembers, thus depriving actual voice actors of their own work)

You have been an active user on DD for less than one year, so you may have missed the art request I made for the 2014 Secret Santa:

a cartoonish drawing of Bill Hader as himself (Actor from Saturday Night Live) wearing thick-rimmed glasses with a zany facial expression.”

(-.-) !!!
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on March 23, 2023 12:25AM
Ozoneocean at 3:50AM, March 23, 2023
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
J_Scarbrough wrote:
(or perhaps Bill Hader, but I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to handing voice acting jobs on silver platters to former SNL castmembers, thus depriving actual voice actors of their own work)

You have been an active user on DD for less than one year, so you may have missed the art request I made for the 2014 Secret Santa:

a cartoonish drawing of Bill Hader as himself (Actor from Saturday Night Live) wearing thick-rimmed glasses with a zany facial expression.”

(-.-) !!!

Haha!

As to being a voice actor though, I'd say Hader was 100% an actual voice actor now. That's hos main line. It's like Tom Kenny or Clancy Brown from Sponge Bob, or most of the Simpsons cast- all really good live actors in their own right but perfectly transitioned to voice acting work, unlike live actors who just take roles here and there… i.e. Tom Hanks, Chris Evans etc.
J_Scarbrough at 10:31AM, March 23, 2023
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

(-.-) !!!
Yeah, I wasn't even really in the webcomics game in 2014, lol.

Joseph Scarbrough
J_Scarbrough at 12:06AM, Aug. 9, 2023
(offline)
John DiMaggio for the recently-introduced Dr. Marsala.

Yeah, I know he's basically everyone's go-to voice actor for everything these days, and apparently he can be a little difficult to work with at times (like the FUTURAMA reboot), but I can't hear anyone else's voice coming out of this particular character.

Joseph Scarbrough
last edited on Aug. 9, 2023 8:51AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon