Comic Talk and General Discussion *

I hate AI. the world would be better off without it.
Ozoneocean at 4:47AM, April 17, 2023
(online)
All I can saw is “eww”. :P
I don't even use a sewing machine when I sew, not because I'm a Luddite or don't like technology (far from it), rather its that I don't like the artifact of mechanisation in what I create.
If I use a sewing machine the stitches will be all super regular and the garment will look modern and artificial, which is fine for modern clothes but an anathema to the old styles of clothing I make.

My art is done in digital art programs on digital tablets, but I don't use filters and or the same brushes or even the same programs as most other digital artists so unlike their work my stuff comes out looking more unique and less like it was all done by the same person (60% of all Deviant art).

It reminds me of a discussion about modern sword production on Youtube recently: Albion is considered by many to make the very best real replica medieval swords available in the modern day. But they're all milled by CNC machines using CAD programs, they're perfectly engineered…
So you're not getting anything like a medieval sword. Up close they're nothing like one at all. Real swords were not perfectly flat, symmetrical or even, not even the very best ones ever made, it's impossible with handmade weapons.
The antique sabres I have all have human caused flaws and it makes them seem more “real” than they would if they didn't have any. They were all made at the beginning of the industrial era so the smiths used mechanisation for their steam hammers and polishing wheels, but it all have to be carefully controlled by hand, very different to a modern CNC machine that takes over the work totally.

Music is another one- I like electronic music, but I have a limited tolerance for it. when the beats are too regular it gets grating and eventually revolting to me. Most modern popmusic that's been edited on Garage Band or other popular programs has a similar issue in that the editing points, timing, leveling and compression etc that they all use is much the same every time which makes it sound too much like all the other music in structure and therefore it becomes boring very quickly.
(because of the production- if it's played live it doesn't have that issue).

————–

The thing is we need to use tools in such a way that we don't have lazy artifacts of mechanisation or similarity in them. That's bad use of the tools. We should never get them to do our creative work FOR us.
last edited on April 17, 2023 4:51AM
bravo1102 at 5:30AM, April 18, 2023
(offline)
You can do CAD with built in imperfections. A period weapon with all its variations could be scanned and used as the model. A program could be written with various imperfections and variations in it so the computer would put them into a design. That is the thing with some AI, it can mimic human design imperfections.

As for using filters I mostly use them to hide my goofs in composition. Hide the seams so to speak.

My former next door neighbor was a trained seamstress. You could not tell her stitches from a sewing machine. Old masters of a craft were machine perfect where it can't be told except by modern instruments. I watch a lot of those videos about “ancient high tech” and slow methodical work by an experienced master of a craft you need magnifying glasses and even microscope to see the flaws that tell it was handmade. And then there's stuff where it's really obvious.

All that being said nothing beats a vintage garment or other item made the vintage way by hand.

I prefer scratchbuilding to 3D printing. My scratchbuilding doesn't have scan lines on it even if the angles aren't perfect. I've actually started eyeballing detail painting as opposed to masks because I like the mess ups. I feel like a kid again where perfect didn't matter and it was about enjoying what I'm doing.
last edited on April 18, 2023 5:31AM
kawaiidaigakusei at 9:20AM, April 18, 2023
(online)
Genejoke wrote:

There are some chatGPT written stories coming up in lite bites. Two of them I added a fair bit, but one is pretty much exactly what chatGPT came up with. Look out for a story called Stage 5 which start 21st may and one called the Armchair that starts June 5th.

I am very much looking forward to reading Stage 5, Genejoke! Thank you for letting me know about its June release.

lothar wrote:

Then I looked up comic generators

comics made using midjourny

Keep in mind that this is just the beginning

Say these generated comic pages were being used as conceptual movie storyboards—It would be like handing the role of Lighting, Director of Photography (DP), AND overall production direction to someone with a different vision.

I remember dreaming up all the camera angles while in my relaxed state and playing the whole scene out like a movie before getting it down on the page. Angles are some of the most interesting parts of a framed shot.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on April 18, 2023 9:23AM
Ozoneocean at 5:20PM, April 18, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
You can do CAD with built in imperfections. A period weapon with all its variations could be scanned and used as the model. A program could be written with various imperfections and variations in it so the computer would put them into a design. That is the thing with some AI, it can mimic human design imperfections.
That takes away the benefits of mass production and basically just does what I said - takes away the artifacts of mechanisation. Which is the point :)

As for using filters I mostly use them to hide my goofs in composition. Hide the seams so to speak.

My former next door neighbor was a trained seamstress. You could not tell her stitches from a sewing machine. Old masters of a craft were machine perfect where it can't be told except by modern instruments. I watch a lot of those videos about “ancient high tech” and slow methodical work by an experienced master of a craft you need magnifying glasses and even microscope to see the flaws that tell it was handmade. And then there's stuff where it's really obvious.
This isn't actually true. As an experienced amateur sewist I can spot the differences between handmade and machine made (up close). It's not just regularity and timing of stitches but the ways you have to make machine stitch - it's complex to explain but it's the difference between being able to walk somewhere or drive- cars need flat surfaces, walkers don't.
plus the backing XD Biggest giveaway.

Old masters work wasn't really “machine perfect”, there's an idea that it was but it's a but of a modern myth. It was pretty amazing, but it's a very different look from modern stuff. (talking any type of craft)
bravo1102 at 1:21AM, April 19, 2023
(offline)
One problem with machine design is having tolerances so fine that the parts can't be assembled into a whole. There is no gimme space to move things around until it's done. There's occasionally no space in the fit of pieces to allow for a coat of paint!

This is true in scale models as well as most anything needing assembly like bicycles to furniture.

And then if one little thing in the CAD is wrong There's no wiggle room to fix or adjust it and the whole thing has to be junked. But at least it's just a bunch of images on a screen and not a whole built up prototype. Well, most of the time anyway. With tight deadlines and budgets you'd be surprised what gets past in all its machine designed “perfection”.

sleeping_gorilla at 11:44PM, April 29, 2023
(offline)
This a prompt intended to improve the response when you are creative writing.

I. Scene Breakdown:
A. Each scene includes:
1. Inciting incident: In “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen, the inciting incident is when Mr. Bingley, a wealthy bachelor, arrives in the neighborhood, sparking excitement and speculation among the local society.
2. Turning point progressive complication: In “Macbeth” by William Shakespeare, the turning point occurs when Macbeth sees the apparitions and hears the prophecies that fuel his ambition and ultimately lead to his downfall.
3. Crisis: In “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins, the crisis arises when Katniss volunteers to take her sister's place in the Games, setting the stage for a life-or-death battle against other tributes.
4. Climax: In “Romeo and Juliet” by William Shakespeare, the climax unfolds as Romeo and Juliet consummate their marriage and make plans for their future, despite the looming conflict between their families.
5. Resolution: In “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald, the resolution occurs when Gatsby's funeral is sparsely attended, revealing the true emptiness of the extravagant lifestyle he pursued.

B. Value Shifts:
- In “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee, there is a value shift in the courtroom scene as Atticus Finch defends Tom Robinson, challenging the deeply ingrained racial prejudices of the society.

II. Narrative Lens:
A. Focus on Specific Details:
1. Point of view: In “Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn, the narrative alternates between the perspectives of husband and wife, Nick and Amy Dunne, revealing their contrasting viewpoints and adding layers of suspense and mystery.
2. Senses: In “The Picture of Dorian Gray” by Oscar Wilde, the narrative vividly describes the decadent tastes, vibrant colors, and haunting scents of the opulent world that surrounds Dorian Gray, reflecting his descent into moral decay.
3. Strong verbs and adjectives: In “Moby-Dick” by Herman Melville, the narrative employs powerful verbs and adjectives to depict the relentless pursuit of Captain Ahab and his obsession with hunting the white whale.

B. Progress the Narrative:
1. Move the narrative forward: In “The Hobbit” by J.R.R. Tolkien, the narrative maintains a brisk pace as Bilbo Baggins embarks on a journey to reclaim the dwarves' homeland, encountering various challenges and triumphs along the way.
2. Don't describe everything: In “The Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger, the narrative selectively focuses on key moments and impressions in the life of Holden Caulfield, capturing the essence of his adolescent rebellion and search for authenticity.

C. Add Depth through Characterization:
1. Character-based layer: In “Wuthering Heights” by Emily Brontë, the narrative delves deep into the complex and turbulent emotions of Heathcliff and Catherine, illuminating the destructive nature of their passionate and doomed love.
2. Inner dialogue: In “To the Lighthouse” by Virginia Woolf, the narrative provides insights into the characters' inner thoughts and perceptions, allowing readers to delve into their innermost desires, fears, and insecurities.

D. Enhance Immersion:
1. Imagine the scene from a fixed perspective: In “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” by Robert Louis Stevenson, the narrative adopts a fixed perspective that closely follows Mr. Utterson, intensifying the suspense and gradual revelation of the dual nature of Dr. Jekyll.
2. Connect similes and metaphors to the story world: In “The Old Man and the Sea” by Ernest Hemingway, the narrative employs vivid metaphors and similes to describe the relentless struggle of the old fisherman against the marlin, creating a profound connection between the reader and the natural world.

E. Set the Tone and Pace:
1. Word choices for tone: In “The Tell-Tale Heart” by Edgar Allan Poe, the narrative uses chilling and haunting language to convey the narrator's increasing madness and paranoia, setting a dark and suspenseful tone.
2. Vary sentence length for pace: In “One Hundred Years of Solitude” by Gabriel García Márquez, the narrative rhythmically alternates between long, intricate sentences and short, impactful ones, mirroring the ebb and flow of the generational saga.

III. Dialog Techniques:
A. Active Dialog:
1. Characters' goals and actions: In “Hamlet” by William Shakespeare, the dialogues between Hamlet and other characters reveal his strategic plans, his quest for justice, and his internal struggle.
2. Rule breakers: In “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” by Mark Twain, the dialogues between Huck Finn and Jim challenge societal norms and expose the hypocrisy of racial prejudice.

B. Conflict and Tension:
1. Attack/defend dynamics: In “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen, the dialogues between Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy showcase their initial clash of personalities, leading to misunderstandings and eventually a transformative realization of their love for each other.
2. Philosophical arguments and logical fallacies: In “Crime and Punishment” by Fyodor Dostoevsky, the dialogues between Raskolnikov and Porfiry Petrovich delve into complex moral and existential debates, exposing the flawed reasoning behind Raskolnikov's crime.

C. Building Conversations:
1. “Yes And” technique: In “The Importance of Being Earnest” by Oscar Wilde, the dialogues between the characters utilize wit, banter, and rapid-fire exchanges that build upon each other's statements, resulting in comedic misunderstandings and absurd situations.
2. Describing what characters see: In “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald, the dialogues between the characters at Gatsby's extravagant parties offer glimpses into their perception of the opulence and shallowness of the Jazz Age society.

D. Emotional Depth:
1. Empathy and shared emotions: In “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee, the dialogues between Atticus Finch and his children, Scout and Jem, foster empathy and impart valuable life lessons, evoking a range of emotions in the readers.
2. Three Wells of Dialog: Background, Physical, and Emotion: In “The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseini, the dialogues between Amir and Hassan convey their shared memories, physical interactions, and emotional bonds, illuminating the complexity of their relationship.

E. Character Complexity:
1. Strong beliefs and convictions: In “Les Misérables” by Victor Hugo, the dialogues between Jean Valjean and Inspector Javert represent the clash between Valjean's belief in redemption and Javert's unwavering commitment to the law, highlighting the depth of their contrasting convictions.
2. Subtext and layered meaning: In “The Sun Also Rises” by Ernest Hemingway, the dialogues between the characters often contain unspoken tensions, underlying desires, and hidden emotions, reflecting the disillusionment and lost generation of the post-war era.

IV. What Not to Write:
A. Avoiding

Redundancies:
1. Redundant adjectives and adverbs: Instead of writing “dark night,” simply use “night.”
2. Filler phrases: Instead of writing “in my opinion,” use “I believe” or simply state the opinion.
B. Streamlining Writing:
1. Trimming excessive prepositions and conjunctions: Instead of writing “due to the fact that,” use “because” or “since.”
2. Avoid excessive sensory descriptions: Instead of describing every detail of a scene, focus on the essential elements that contribute to the atmosphere or character development.
3. Eliminating confusingly complex sentences: Break down complex ideas into simpler sentences for clarity.

C. Engaging Writing Style:
1. Active voice over passive voice: Instead of writing “The ball was caught by John,” use “John caught the ball.”
2. Minimizing line-level clichés: Instead of relying on clichéd phrases, seek fresh and original language.
3. Balancing descriptive and concise writing: Provide enough detail to engage the reader's imagination without overwhelming them with unnecessary information.
last edited on May 25, 2023 11:11PM
Ozoneocean at 8:45PM, May 25, 2023
(online)
ThrisbyDude wrote:
Since AI videos keep popping up on my YouTube recommendations (I'm 85% switching to Invidious and Piped instances due to ad-blockers not working), here's my view on AI.

I feel like AI should only be used as a tool for accomplishing tasks, such as redrawing frames for your own {personal hand-drawn} animation projects, and for controlling non-playable characters in video games.

For {hand-drawn} animation projects, AI can redraw frames for you, and if a frame looks off, you can either get rid of a frame or erase part of a frame and draw to make it look right.
Aren't video games already using computer software to control NPCs? I think video games were using AI before AI became more relevant in today's times.

AI can produce funny results (The Burger King Guy and Arby's Guy commericial memes; there's even a cover of Micheal Jackson ‘singing’ a cover of Mario movie's Peaches).
However, even using that for those can go too far.
Using samples of voices and using it as slander and harmful pranks can make that person say “What?! I didn't say that!”.

ChatGPT to cheat on assignments is a no go for me. I'd rather hand-write my answers if it goes to far.

And of course, I don't side with AI stealing {elements of other's} art to create masterpieces (and claiming it as your own) or forcing AI on people.

Any time I see AI created animation I feel cheated. It's just so lame.
It's exactly like a person running a “drawing” filter over a photo and saying it's something they drew.
With AI animation they pass off the crap look bay saying it's “arty” or satire but it's neither, it's lame and disappointing.

Anyway, I agree with you: use it as an assist for real work by a real human with training, talent, and ability. Trying to replace that just doesn't work.

————-

@Bravo- with model making theoretically you could just do a 3D scan of any object or machine and get an AI to cut up the computer model in a way that can be reproduced in a mould to make a model for assembly.
But like you say even with a human working on the CAD files it's easy to mess it up.
AI has NO chance at the current level because it's just not good enough. It can't tell about overlapping shapes very well for example, It really needs a human.

It's like in my graphic design- Tech-bros have been trying to replace us for decades, and ignorant people think they already have, but in reality the AI tools used in the industry are just basic. I treat AI produced stuff like work from an extreme neophyte- it needs extensive fixing, so much so I usully junk it and and just re-do it.
davidxolukoga at 1:25AM, July 4, 2023
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
sleeping_gorilla wrote:
I have always considered myself a writer and not a visual artist. I think the hardest part for any writer is “getting the words down”. This is what Chat GPT does for me. I give it characters, tell it the basic story, tell it the more detailed aspects, give lines of dialog, the internal feelings, and details on the genre and tropes I want to use. Then it puts 1000-4000 words down that I can edit.

I am all for seeing an entire comic story screenplay written completely by ChatGPT, then paying some working artist on fiver to create the first three pages or better yet, Dall-E. I am curious tO see what type of webcomics AI can come up with, really curious.

There are some chatGPT written stories coming up in lite bites. Two of them I added a fair bit, but one is pretty much exactly what chatGPT came up with. Look out for a story called Stage 5 which start 21st may and one called the Armchair that starts June 5th.
Stage 5: https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Lite_bites/5733998/
Armchair: https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Lite_bites/5735656/

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon