Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Overrated things
bravo1102 at 8:55AM, March 6, 2024
(offline)
I was talking more early 1960s like the Dick Van Duke show and The Addams Family and Bewitched as opposed to The Odd Couple. The Odd Couple was based on Neil Simon which was a little more sophisticated than I Dream of Jeanie or The Brady Bunch.
A lot of the plotlines in The Flintstoneswere lifted from Life of Riley and almost cartoonish by later sitcom standards.
That's what I meant. the Flintstones isn't too far off from Make Room for Daddy whereas The Odd Couple was on its way to the Mary Taylor Moore Show if not All in the Family.
J_Scarbrough at 10:09AM, March 6, 2024
(offline)
Even so, those shows were intentionally kooky and way out because at the time, television was a form of escapism: the 60s were a very tumultuous decade in American history, particularly as the Civil Rights Movement really fired up, among other sadder moments (assassinations); the magical worlds of Samantha Stephens or Jeannie offered everyday people a brief respite from the harsh realities they had been seeing unfold all around them.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
sleeping_gorilla at 12:19PM, March 6, 2024
(offline)
Friday the 13th. I don't know why this series is so popular. Jason is a pale comparison to Michael or Freddy, all of the mystique attributed to the character was actually done by someone else. It's like everything bad in the slasher genre was started by these movies.

The best Jason movie is The Final Girls, a parody that has a better script and is better made than any of the actual series. The only one I like is the one in Space, which is just a remake of Leprechaun 4.
last edited on March 6, 2024 2:46PM
Ozoneocean at 7:23PM, March 7, 2024
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
I'm not particularly a fan of adult animation anyway; I find that more often than not, most of the focus goes into the shock value over anything else, and usually for no other reason than, “Hur-hur, look what we can get away with in a cartoon!”
There are ups and downs. There are some great shows for “adults” and some crap.

Anything that focusses on drug jokes and sex jokes for a lot of the content is bad- NOT because of sex and drugs but because that content is extremely juvenile. There are clever ways to talk about sex and drugs but they rarely do that in adult animation.

That brings be to something that's massively overrated:
Drugs

There a huge focus on marijuana and usually the jist is "hur hur hur, we do marijuana LOL! It's always a juvenile approach, no matter how old the people are when they talk about it.
Alcohol is very bad for your health and it causes a lot of negative social issues, but at least there's also a culture of class that surrounds a lot of it.

Also, for all the bad alcohol is responsible for (and it really is), I've had far, far far more good interactions with people who drink VS people on any sort of drug- from marijuana to speed, to meth, ecstasy, cocaine, heroine, glue, etc you name it.
People who're a bit tipsy are very good socially (people who are very drunk though are definitely not), while people under the influence of anything else, even mildly, tend to be unbearable and intolerable.

Aside from that when things like cocaine are mentioned in pop-culture it's always in this moronic sniggering way of “oh we know it's illegal but is so fun and naughty” without even one fraction of a second spared for the devastating cost of that drug on the human lives involved in production and shipping. It makes blood diamonds, weapon smuggling, human trafficking, even terrorism look like a softball game. And with their dumb sniggering attitude they ensure the continued popularity and spread of the industry. All because these young college grad writers are now earning enough money to indulge and they think it's so interesting that have to include heaps of references to it in whatever they create.
J_Scarbrough at 10:54PM, March 7, 2024
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
Anything that focusses on drug jokes and sex jokes for a lot of the content is bad- NOT because of sex and drugs but because that content is extremely juvenile. There are clever ways to talk about sex and drugs but they rarely do that in adult animation.

Thank you, you just resurrected a thought that has been rattling around inside my brain for so long: how and why is it that “adult” humor is so juvenile and immature, while, in some cases, kiddie humor is actually more sophisticated and even mature (as in grown-up, not TV-MA).

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
bravo1102 at 3:44AM, March 8, 2024
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Ozoneocean wrote:

Thank you, you just resurrected a thought that has been rattling around inside my brain for so long: how and why is it that “adult” humor is so juvenile and immature, while, in some cases, kiddie humor is actually more sophisticated and even mature (as in grown-up, not TV-MA).
Any number of reasons.
-The writers are pretty juvenile themselves and don't deal with “adulting” too well.
-They are aiming at teens and twenty somethings who don't quite know what responsibilities are and want to have fun.
-They're focusing on the silly juvenile stuff real adults do to reduce the stress of being a responsible type all the time.
-Lots of adults are still very juvenile in how they think about a lot of stuff.

Take your pick. My adult co-workers and I can get very silly and juvenile to blow off stress because we realize just how ridiculous the situations we find ourselves in are. Being crazy is how we stay sane. Maturity can be a scarse commodity in the real world and the juvenile attitudes of many so-called adult shows more than reflects that reality.

Be around some people who can take on real adult stuff with maturity and poise and you'll find some little kids who just want to be silly. It's the scene in Full Metal Jacket of the squad moving out as the artillery goes off around them and they're singing the Mickey Mouse Club song. That really happened. And then when resting tell disgusting but madly funny stories about bodily functions. Been there, done that and then sat back and realized I was living one of those stupid adult as kids movies as opposed to how I always saw adults as a kid.

Yeah, that's only an act adults put on for the kids. Real people doing real stuff can be very silly and immature to vent off some of the intense gravity of the real shit.
last edited on March 8, 2024 3:50AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon