Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Has Ozoneocean Been Hacked?
J_Scarbrough at 8:31AM, April 26, 2024
(offline)
I received a very fishy PQ this morning from Ozoneocean requesting my personal info, because, “A very generous DDer from outside the US wants to send me a gift,” but they're also, “totally not a stalker or anything.”

Yeah, this is exactly the kind of shit hackers say, so I'm not buying it; nobody's getting any info out of me.

And FWIW, this street address this “very generous DDer” has is not my address, and I have never lived at the address they think I live at - I'm not the only person with my name who lives in this town, let alone this country.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
last edited on April 26, 2024 10:04AM
InkyMoondrop at 9:19AM, April 26, 2024
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
I received a very PQ this morning from Ozoneocean requesting my personal info, because, “A very generous DDer from outside the US wants to send me a gift,” but they're also, “totally not a stalker or anything.”

Yeah, this is exactly the kind of shit hackers say, so I'm not buying it; nobody's getting any info out of me.

And FWIW, this street address this “very generous DDer” has is not my address, and I have never lived at the address they think I live at - I'm not the only person with my name who lives in this town, let alone this country.

He just posted about technical issues today, so I suppose the two might be connected…
J_Scarbrough at 10:10AM, April 26, 2024
(offline)
Everything about it is setting off red flags. The fact that this “very generous and anonymous DDer” took the time to try to find out where I live and is apparently wanting my personal number so I can confirm a gift being sent to me via Amazon does not sit well with me whatsoever - and again, this address is one that I have never even lived at, so this could very well be some other person in my town with my same name they found the address for . . . who else does that but stalkers, hackers, or Nigerian princes?

Joseph Scarbrough
InkyMoondrop at 10:15AM, April 26, 2024
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Everything about it is setting off red flags. The fact that this “very generous and anonymous DDer” took the time to try to find out where I live and is apparently wanting my personal number so I can confirm a gift being sent to me via Amazon does not sit well with me whatsoever - and again, this address is one that I have never even lived at, so this could very well be some other person in my town with my same name they found the address for . . . who else does that but stalkers, hackers, or Nigerian princes?
I'd be careful, anyone who takes the time to hack an admin of a site would take the time to dox as well. Not sure if anyone received similar messages, but it seems targeted. Are you sure it was his account, not something made that would appear to be it? Like characters that similar but not the same?
Hapoppo at 10:21AM, April 26, 2024
(online)
No doubt in my mind that's a scam, I'm sure he has some sort of back door solution to fix the problem but in the mean time, I'd avoid any messages he sends until we get something here or on the main page that he's got the problem fixed.
Ozoneocean at 10:37AM, April 26, 2024
(online)
Oh god 😭

No I habe not been hacked.
Jesus man, you try and do a good turn for someone…

A fellow DDer wanted to help you out by sending you equipment you can use for your art but they want to remain anonymous and contacted me for help and to be a middleman.
The only thing I could think of to do was contact you directly about it and ask.
I never realised it would turn out this way πŸ˜“πŸ˜§
Ozoneocean at 10:44AM, April 26, 2024
(online)
InkyMoondrop wrote:

He just posted about technical issues today, so I suppose the two might be connected…

Ugh no.

I had to do a newspost because Lothar had to quit his Friday newspost a couple of weeks ago.
I chose to do it on tech tissues because that's been on my mind since my computer had an issue duribg the Quackcast before the last one.

If you STILL don't beleive this is me I will contact Bames and Tantz to vouch for me.

For the record I find this alarming but also hillarious.
Mostly alarming though.
InkyMoondrop at 10:45AM, April 26, 2024
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
InkyMoondrop wrote:

Ugh no.

I had to do a newspost because Lothar had to quit his Friday newspost a couple of weeks ago.
I chose to do it on tech tissues because that's been on my mind since my computer had an issue duribg the Quackcast before the last one.

If you STILL don't beleive this is me I will contact Bames and Tantz to vouch for me.

Mostly alarming though.

Sorry. Was trying to help. :D
Hapoppo at 10:46AM, April 26, 2024
(online)
Ozoneocean wrote:
InkyMoondrop wrote:

Ugh no.

Mostly alarming though.

Eep! Haha, well this IS the internet so you can never be too careful… good to know you weren't hacked though XD
Ozoneocean at 10:56AM, April 26, 2024
(online)
Thankyou. It's good to stay vigilant and I applaud that but it's really scary to be on this end of it πŸ˜…

I've let Banes and Tantz know about the full story (identity of the anonymous doner) so they can help me with anymore misunderstandings.
Tantz_Aerine at 10:58AM, April 26, 2024
(online)
Okay I was an eye witness to Oz's woes with his computer, it's definitely him. I also saw other evidence that there is no hacking. @J_Scarbrough, I saw who the “generous DDer” is that wanted to gift you something, and what that something is. Hope this helps and everyone is at ease!
J_Scarbrough at 11:47AM, April 26, 2024
(offline)
I've had this happen to me too many times before to not be suspicious about anything: friend's accounts being hacked and sending me strange messages, doxxing, being the victim of credit fraud . . . and admittedly Ozoneocean, just the way you worded your PQ to me sounded like you were speaking on behalf of one of those aforementioned Nigerian princes, which as I said, set off red flags for me.

Still, the very idea somebody I don't know (or at least, is hiding behind anonymity) took the time to try to find out where I live and wanted my personal number does not begin to describe the level of discomfort this has given me, having been doxxed before . . . however, if all of this is legit, it's not for this reason that my response to the whole thing this is, “Thanks, but no thanks.”

I'm not at all trying to be ungrateful or unappreciative, and the fact that somebody out there wanted to do this random act of kindness for me is a touching gesture and a little overwhelming, but I'm in a position right now where I really can't accept such gifts - and even if I did, given what dire straits I'm in, I can't guarantee that I wouldn't turn around and resell it so I could put the money towards rent, or bills, or other debts I'm still swimming in right now thanks in no small part to America's tanking economy. Between caring for and supporting my elderly and disabled mother, and my “real job” having me work even more shifts now, making art is unfortunately not even a priority for me at this time . . . and even so, I still have other non-comics projects that have been vying for my continued time and efforts, such as Steve D'Monster's latest movie, which has been in queue for nearly four years. I'm also currently mapping out exactly the sort of new computer I wish to have built for my specific needs to get into layaway as quickly as possible, so making art again will definitely be on the horizon, but again, it's not a priority at this time.

I'm glad Oz has not been hacked, and others have confirmed such, that's one worry/suspicion of mine that's been alieviated, and if my seemingly kneejerk reaction may have bruised or hurt any feelings, I do apologize; like Inky said, with this being the internet, one can never be too careful of anyone else's intentions. Again, I'm touched by the offer and gesture, and it's nice to know I apparently do have some fans out there who want to support my art and creativity, but I can't accept something like this, I'm sorry.

Joseph Scarbrough
last edited on April 26, 2024 11:48AM
Ozoneocean at 9:27PM, April 26, 2024
(online)
No worries at all. No harm done!

It's good to be on your guard!

If I ever DO get hacked or you seriously think that I have been please message Tantz, Banes, Kawaii, Niccea, HPKomic or Gunwallace. Maybe some others, I can't recall.

They will be able to sort things out or let you know that I haven't been.

—–

Now, You've all won a bunch of MASSIVE YACHTS!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdi6E-qzS1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsYoeoEE3ww

-Comedy skits by Mitchell and Webb that humorously tackles just this sort of thing.
Not spam links XD
last edited on April 26, 2024 9:31PM
kawaiidaigakusei at 10:19PM, April 26, 2024
(online)
J_Scarbrough, take it as a compliment that there is someone out there on the planet who appreciates your work and wants to see more of it. But yes, it is understandable that giving away sensitive/personal information on the Internet is up to the discretion of the individual.

In the states, Amazon does have an option to pick-up deliveries at local pharmacies like CVS so you do not need to disclose a home address.

I am not sure what the mystery item is, whether it is brand new or used, or if it is technology hardware. In any case, your safety is top priority.
( Β΄ β–½ ` )οΎ‰
sleeping_gorilla at 1:52PM, April 27, 2024
(offline)
No. Oz has always been Niel Gaiman robot…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon