Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Jobs of DDers
skoolmunkee at 11:55PM, Jan. 21, 2007
(offline)
I'm an instructional designer at a university, which is related to what Tantz Aerine does - I'm here to help them with pedagogy, learning methods, course and lesson design, etc - more specifically in an e-learning context but the same rules apply to face-to-face learning too. :) I felt like you did when I was going through university, that my professors could stand to take some education courses - I was probably critical because I was taking education courses myself.

However now that I'm ‘behind the scenes’ I'm surprised at how many of them actually are interested in that kind of thing and are always trying new ways to do things, reading journals, etc. There will always be some who are into professorship because of the research and subject instea of the teaching, but the problem that most professors have when it comes to educational methods is that they're terribly underpaid for their time and they have priorities. If they got paid to take some educational courses the world would be a much better place, but no one wants to do that. :/ That would basically be admitting that their teachers don't know how to teach, and won't unless they're offered something in return (a pretty ungenerous view of the situation). When it's more often a case of a lack of time on top of so many other responsibilities.

MiniMyth
Tantz Aerine
I train educators on teaching methods, class curriculi and class composition. I also am a full time author.

I don't sleep, either ;)

I know a great many college professors who could benefit from this. :P Seriously, I wish there were a requirment for profs to take some education courses.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Mark at 2:15AM, Jan. 22, 2007
(offline)
I am a secret spy for my country and go on missions to defeat the terrorist scum of the earth, of course I'll probably have to kill you now that I've told you

Or you could try to forget about that and pretend that I'm a student
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
Generic Human at 8:56AM, Jan. 22, 2007
(online)
subcultured
Generic Human
I work at an ice rink. I do all the basics there (skate guarding, working the counter, and the snack bar) and I teach learn to skate ice hockey.

plus you flirt with the customers ^_-

If only I got paid for that bit! That was a one time thing anyway… >_> Most of the time I'm the mean old hag telling people to tuck their laces into their skates.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Vaoni at 9:36AM, Jan. 22, 2007
(offline)
i work in a cinema.
selling tickets and snacks, restocking, cleaning, restocking some more, cleaning some more.. and kicking annoying little kids out.
its all good. sounds so boring but its fun.

- Updated! 1.10.06
“You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? ”Hey man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
Terminal at 9:38AM, Jan. 22, 2007
(online)
I'm still a student, but I work part-time at a travel agency.

(jebus, I hate all having to put those stupid little airline pamplets in order. the cool thing are those scale models of planes and those neat little things airlines usually give out. That's fun.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:10PM
Aeon at 10:20AM, Jan. 22, 2007
(online)
I'm unemployed… or ‘freelance’ if you prefer. My area of expertise is theatrical wardrobing. I've got a job lined up for the summer working as Assistant Wardrobe Manager for an opera company for the second year, but I'm still looking for some work to tide me over till June. Even as I type this I'm putting off writing a cover letter for a wardrobe sub job… I hate cover letters. I always sound like a half-wit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM
HyperrrMouse at 10:37AM, Jan. 22, 2007
(offline)
I'm a Costumer Service employee at REI (Recreational Equipment Inc.) It's a pretty stressful job, the other day I was yelled at for 15 minutes on the phone for something neither I nor the company had any control over. It's not my fault the gent has arthritus and is going to have surgery soon and go on a REALLY dangerous trip. The Boundary Waters in Minnisota and Canada don't qualify as REALLY dangerous to me.

*SIGH* so I'm planning thinking, and luckily this job allows me time to do both, about what I want to do with my life, because working CS is denfinetly not horrible, but not what I want to do forever.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
kitsunekage at 4:17PM, Jan. 22, 2007
(offline)
I am a host at Red Lobster.

I am currently looking at colleges for the fall.
When good people do nothing, the ignoble will rise.
http://www.wevolt.com/Crostons_Method_Comix/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Volte6 at 4:39PM, Jan. 22, 2007
(online)
I work on a website you might have heard of…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:43PM
Abby Greenwald at 4:57PM, Jan. 22, 2007
(offline)
I'm a draftsman at a polystyrene factory. Most commonly called “Styrofoam”. I draw shapes on a CAD program I give it to a machine that then cuts a shape from a big block o' foam with hot wires. My “work” is then covered with mesh and stucco to look like solid cement and attached to buildings. Most commony used a parapet caps and cornices. I just sorta fell into it when my boss got an order for foam that wasn't the standard flatboard and he remembered that at my previous job, I had made three dimensional airplane parts based off of five dimensional blueprints and told me to learn CAD. I had nothing else to do, so I did.

Of course, we also make bridge parts. Happy driving!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
Terminal at 5:47PM, Jan. 22, 2007
(online)
Volte6

Huh? Which site is that?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:10PM
jgib99 at 9:41PM, Jan. 22, 2007
(online)
Warehouse inventory (real exciting work). Its a bit of a step down from my original job as a gigolo.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
draxenn at 11:19PM, Jan. 22, 2007
(online)
Volte6
I thought you made the interweb.

I'm an operation support centre co-ordinator at our inbound call centre.
In short, i'm a report monkey. I take loads of raw data and put it into easy to read reports for my managers, supervisors and administration teams.
I also have my hands involved in workforce management, which is a nice word for ‘scheduling’
and i file stuff.
Screw the money! I have RULES!
. o O ( Evil )
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
LowResAtari at 12:14AM, Jan. 23, 2007
(offline)
Volte6

SmackJeeves?

loljoking
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
Roguehill at 7:03AM, Jan. 23, 2007
(offline)
skoolmunkee
I'm an instructional designer at a university, which is related to what Tantz Aerine does - I'm here to help them with pedagogy, learning methods, course and lesson design, etc - more specifically in an e-learning context but the same rules apply to face-to-face learning too. :) I felt like you did when I was going through university, that my professors could stand to take some education courses - I was probably critical because I was taking education courses myself.

However now that I'm ‘behind the scenes’ I'm surprised at how many of them actually are interested in that kind of thing and are always trying new ways to do things, reading journals, etc. There will always be some who are into professorship because of the research and subject instea of the teaching, but the problem that most professors have when it comes to educational methods is that they're terribly underpaid for their time and they have priorities. If they got paid to take some educational courses the world would be a much better place, but no one wants to do that. :/ That would basically be admitting that their teachers don't know how to teach, and won't unless they're offered something in return (a pretty ungenerous view of the situation). When it's more often a case of a lack of time on top of so many other responsibilities.

Oh yes! I teach proper use of Blackboard and ITV to instructors, and one of the things that I've been facinated by is the resistance to….learning. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of faculty at our university that flock to online learning tools, but I get so many statements that blow me away, like:

1. Can't I just teach my entire class through email?
2. I had training 5 years ago, but I'm pretty sure the technology hasn't changed..
3. Can't I just come in at the very end and get full credit for training?
4. I don't believe in the existance of learning styles.
5. My GA is going to handle my online section by putting up all my powerpoints…

Yeah.

Anyway, it's a facinatingly small world!)

GHOST ZERO
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:09PM
Black_Kitty at 7:18AM, Jan. 23, 2007
(online)
Roguehill
4. I don't believe in the existance of learning styles.

…I am both laughing and crying inside.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
artisthazzard at 11:50AM, Jan. 23, 2007
(offline)
I graduated college got my B.F.A in illustration.. but currently working as a graphic designer for a company called dynamic works..
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
LIZARD_B1TE at 4:14PM, Jan. 23, 2007
(online)
I'm a freshman in high school.

….

My sister's in the FBI, I wish my life sounded as cool.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
skoolmunkee at 12:09AM, Jan. 24, 2007
(offline)
Roguehill
Oh yes! I teach proper use of Blackboard and ITV to instructors

I used to admin and teach Blackboard stuff too at my old university (before I finished my master's and went over to my current instructional design job)… I've heard all those statements before, or variations. :) There is definitely reluctance and/or ignorance there… sometimes the hard part is even convincing someone they should at least give something a try.

Curse you Blackboard 6! >:[ You didn't help!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Roguehill at 6:37AM, Jan. 24, 2007
(offline)
skoolmunkee
I used to admin and teach Blackboard stuff too at my old university (before I finished my master's and went over to my current instructional design job)… I've heard all those statements before, or variations. :) There is definitely reluctance and/or ignorance there… sometimes the hard part is even convincing someone they should at least give something a try.

Curse you Blackboard 6! >:[ You didn't help!

One of the best things we ever did for our Blackboard training was to have it co-taught by our Instructional Designer. When you include alot of best practice guidelines in the training, it really ups the quality and usefulness of the product. We've had faculty that have gone to our training rave about the quality and they become our department's best friends. The tough part is to “trick” them into coming to training in the first place. Fortunately trainers are tricky people…)

GHOST ZERO
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:09PM
ShadowsMyst at 12:50PM, Jan. 24, 2007
(online)
Full time Graphic Designer for a canadian University. I also do instructing periodically for stuff like Photoshop and Illustrator. I work on my comic stuffs in the evening as I can. Family obligations and crap.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
Adariel at 3:58PM, Jan. 24, 2007
(offline)
Bank Employee (*boring*)
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Phantom Penguin at 4:16PM, Jan. 24, 2007
(offline)
I'm a PFC in the United States Army
Armor corps. Tankers lead the way.

…..just not when it comes to paychecks.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
ProfessorF at 5:16PM, Jan. 24, 2007
(offline)
News Producer for a CBS Affiliate in a medium-market city.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Beaums at 5:52PM, Jan. 24, 2007
(offline)
I work as a warehouse receiver for a company that sells automotive parts called The Hitch Company. So basically, when we get a shipment of parts in, it is my job to determine where it goes and to lug it over there myself. Of course, I also clean up, wrap stuff up, organize stuff, etc. Work's been pretty good lately, but I'm hoping to work as a retail clerk at this store soon. Woo!

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
anystar at 7:29PM, Jan. 24, 2007
(offline)
I work part-time as a filing clerk, general gopher, and website management person for a small construction company :3 I'm hoping to find an easy secretarial/filing type job when I move to Savannah in a couple months though. @_@

I also do commissions for small crafts, like plushies, and artwork XD I'm hoping to become a full time published comic artist after college.
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Door_in_the_Rock/ >> Fantasy Graphic Novel in Black and White :3
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
Speck at 8:55AM, Jan. 25, 2007
(offline)
Full-time student, part-time theatre technician. It doesn't pay all that well, but gods is it fun.
I also do some freelance graphic design for my former high school's plays and musicals. Hourly, doesn't pay well, pretty fun. And it gives me an excuse to come in an visit all of my younger, still-in-high-school friends.

Honestly, between school and theatre work, I don't know how I have time to do a comic. Which might explain why I needed a month-long break from my comic when I really had no school.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
KomradeDave at 10:01AM, Jan. 25, 2007
(online)
Right now I'm unemployed. I just finished working at a book store in charge of their Graphic Novel and Humor section. In two weeks I will be doing linguistics for the Marine Corps. Until then I am hanging out at the supply store willing to do anything menial for some cash.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: The Anti Sprite Coalition on fire off the shoulder of Cut and Paste. I watched Top Drawer glitter in the dark near the Forumhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, likeā€¦ tears in the rain.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
Jillers at 5:45PM, Jan. 25, 2007
(offline)
Toys R Us employee. If nothing else it's given me the strength to not punch people in the back of the head when they're being a stupid asshole, which, it turns out, is quite often.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Priceman at 6:15PM, Jan. 30, 2007
(online)
Air Force network admin. And part time college student.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon