Comic Talk and General Discussion *

There's a NEW DrunkDuck on the way, with a bunch of improvements!
skoolmunkee at 1:12AM, March 6, 2011
(offline)
We've lobbied strongly for black text. Supposedly it will be done, it would be useful if the mock-ups they are posting reflect changes they know will be done. But if it takes a long time to change something I guess that's time better spent on coding.

Actually in Kinh's first post, doesn't he say something about darker text?

Edit: Nope, just that some of the images don't reflect current changes.

Anyway yeah, I'm pretty sure we're getting black text.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
srhdt at 10:29AM, March 7, 2011
(online)
Hippie Van
ozoneocean
As Kinh says in his post- things are balanced out to also make viewing the site smoother on mobile devices.

Does this mean we might see a mobile version of the site sometime in the future? That would be nice. DD is a bit of a pain on my ipood.

Also: MORE with the horrible lack of contrast! Can't we at least have a proper black text for the forums?
Mes pauvres yeux! Why does Wowio want me to go blind? : (

The admins had brought this issue up as well, and I'll reiterate here what I told them. The sample images posted do not represent the final, definitive look of the pages. Especially when it comes to text font colors, that's something that can be easily adjusted at the last minute and most likely will be darkened from what you see here.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
smbhax at 7:40PM, March 7, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
And it is ONLY meant to happen when images are above a certain file size. 350KB was mooted.
If the images are below that then there will be NO changes.

I will have to bring this up again with Kinh, but we did discuss all that pretty thoroughly.
Ah, that's a relief, thanks.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
smbhax at 7:44PM, March 7, 2011
(online)
KAM
Yeah, I stopped using .pngs on color images when I realized that it darkened all my colors obscuring all the effects I was going for.

I did use it for B I use IRFanview for this–save them as 8-bit images, lossless compression, and you'll still have a pretty compact file size. No compression artifacts that way: the lines stay perfectly crisp. That's what I do with my comics, which are all b&w.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
KAM at 12:40AM, March 8, 2011
(online)
Thanks smbhax. :-)
The KAMics - my cartoons
KAM's Fanart - fanart
KAMics Kast - cast pages
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
Larry at 7:18PM, March 11, 2011
(offline)
So I saw the new proposed user page and I have to say it's too crowded, and space isn't used effectively. I've created my own mock-up that admittedly addresses more issues I have with the redesign other than with the fact that the user page puts near-useless features like trophies above our comics or the fact that user pages are going to be even longer than most are now.

Here it is.

The Comics thing would work similar to the netflix rotating dvd cover art thing. Maybe users could even have the option to select which top 3 comics they want to show up in the front. That “See all” link below the comics banner would display just the thumbnails with the titles similarly to how they show up now on the user page now.

You can still edit most of your options on the user page here but it takes up much less screen space.

It's just a lot less crowded than what's currently proposed and I think makes the site look a little cleaner (and for this page, returns the most focus to the comics!).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Loud_G at 7:54PM, March 11, 2011
(online)
May I suggest a FIRST and LAST page for the search results as well as the numbers and such?
Being able to jump all the way to the end or beginning can help speed up a search sometimes.
Find out what George is up to:

Go! Visit George or he may have to eat you!*
*Disclaimer: George may or may not eat violators depending on hunger level and scarcity of better tasting prey.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:46PM
Ozoneocean at 8:09PM, March 11, 2011
(online)
Loud_G
May I suggest a FIRST and LAST page for the search results as well as the numbers and such?
Being able to jump all the way to the end or beginning can help speed up a search sometimes.
Excellent idea!

Larry
So I saw the new proposed user page and I have to say it's too crowded, and space isn't used effectively. I've created my own mock-up that admittedly addresses more issues I have with the redesign other than with the fact that the user page puts near-useless features like trophies above our comics or the fact that user pages are going to be even longer than most are now.

Here it is.
First up, please save that as an 8bit png, it took ages to come up on my screen… doesn't matter how fast your internet is, if there's a slow connection anywhere in the chain that is what the speed will be.

I really like what you did there larry- apart from the horrible grey background. We don't want any of the old nasty greys in the new look of the site. Even black would be better than grey.

Anyway, it looks good. The recommended comics list will probably be gridded with mouse-over descriptions instead of vertical so that will save space.
Next time when Skool and I conference with Kinh we'll ask about your design.
I'm not sure at this stage if changes that significant can be made since the new site is well under construction but I'll ask anyway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Larry at 10:13AM, March 12, 2011
(offline)
Oh, whoops! That was a bit stupid on my part. 8bit png here.

Here

Thanks for looking at my design.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Product Placement at 10:59AM, March 12, 2011
(online)

I love how active of a forum poster 1337 master is :รพ
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
lefarce at 2:19PM, March 12, 2011
(online)
I see suggesting a more “split pea” green was too much of a request.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
lothar at 4:36AM, March 17, 2011
(offline)
my favorite part was green
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon