Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2023! General Discussion Thread
Ironscarf at 10:57AM, Feb. 5, 2023
(offline)
The most deadly animal by far in the UK is the cow. Almost everyone assumes they are harmless and for that I blame Emintrude from the Magic Roundabout, but in reality they are cold blooded killers. Can't say I blame them considering the treatment they get from us.
Ozoneocean at 8:02PM, Feb. 5, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Not enough people in Australia to do that. And most of Australia is downright inhospitable whatever the critters may do.
True, Humans are more dangerous in the USA XD
Yeah, you're right about the relative population VS animals and environment. Any deaths here from those factors are more significant…
And there are a few each year… spider bites, snakes, sharks, venomous sea life (fish, shells, octupi), crocodiles, bees,ants, even kangaroos, cassowaries, and wild dog packs of dingo hybrids.
And getting lost in the outback is usually a death sentence.

In fact a girl was killed in the local river by a shark on the weekend. It was pretty tragic.

There's an interesting pop-culture trope about nature-wise indigenous people being able to survive easily in the dead heart of Australia where white people will die, which is actually completely false. Most of the people who fall afoul of the dangers out there ARE the indigenous people because many tend to live in remote areas where it's easier to come in contact with that stuff and it's further from rescue services and hospitals. :(

Ironscarf wrote:
The most deadly animal by far in the UK is the cow.
Cows, horses, goats, dogs, and sheep are surprisingly deadly! All kill, despite what anyone says.
I got trampled by a big young steer once. Lucky I got away with only bruises, but it was pretty scary!
last edited on Feb. 5, 2023 8:06PM
Ozoneocean at 4:15AM, Feb. 7, 2023
(online)
All the posters for the new Black Panther movie super suuuuck… SOOOOOOOOo boring.

It's an action comicbook film, I don't want to see a bunch of people standing around looking in different directions. It looks like a album cover for a woman's gospel band. DULL!
Dull dull dull dull!
I hate it.

It deserves a better cover!
J_Scarbrough at 8:16AM, Feb. 7, 2023
(offline)
Movie posters have sucked in the past twenty years or so, but apparently, simplicity is the way to go for advertising in general . . . guess people are supposedly too mind-numbed to be able to handle visually-interesting/engaging ad products.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
InkyMoondrop at 9:24AM, Feb. 7, 2023
(offline)
Probably since posters of many “recent” superhero films are generally just as much about generating hype and discussion as the trailers. Find your favorite characters, look for clues, etc. Promotional value in a different sense. One could do a hefty collection from alternative movie posters and book covers made by fans that just look so much more interesting or cretive than the ones out there, I'm surprised one can't hear about projects where studios and publishers involve fans in a form of contest to produce more. I remember Sigur Rós had a project where fans were allowed to make music videos for their songs and they presented several in a film. That was refreshing.
J_Scarbrough at 10:06AM, Feb. 7, 2023
(offline)
Here it is the month of Valentine's, and yet I heard not one but two Halloween songs at random today.

Joseph Scarbrough
kawaiidaigakusei at 5:44PM, Feb. 7, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Here it is the month of Valentine's, and yet I heard not one but two Halloween songs at random today.

I just rewatched Scream the other night. Looks like February is starting to feel a lot like October.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
lothar at 7:17PM, Feb. 7, 2023
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:

Was it Monster Mash ?
That's kinda a valentine's day song
J_Scarbrough at 7:31PM, Feb. 7, 2023
(offline)
Nope. “Werewolves of London” and “Don't Fear the Reaper.”

Joseph Scarbrough
InkyMoondrop at 7:38PM, Feb. 7, 2023
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Nope. “Werewolves of London” and “Don't Fear the Reaper.”

I listen to those at least once every month or so.
lothar at 8:01PM, Feb. 7, 2023
(offline)
I always thought of Don't fear the reaper as a summer song
Ironscarf at 7:26AM, Feb. 8, 2023
(offline)
Me too. It would have to be Fear The Reaper to make my Halloween list.

Romeo & Juliet
Burn together in purgatory
We can scream like they are
So fear the reaper…

Etc

The cowbell is quite scary if you're afraid of cows, and you should be.
last edited on Feb. 8, 2023 8:50PM
bravo1102 at 8:54AM, Feb. 8, 2023
(offline)
I despise the song “Don't fear the reaper” it's a song encouraging suicide. So into any suicide prevention center and you'll hear a story of the song playing in the background of calls or people quoting the song when talking about how they want to die.
It's been called “the anthem of teen suicide.”

Werewolves of London on the other hand is one of my favorites. It's a year round song like most of Zevon's catalog.
Unka John at 9:17AM, Feb. 8, 2023
(offline)
Between the two, I've always considered Valentine's day to be the scarier.
J_Scarbrough at 9:42AM, Feb. 8, 2023
(offline)
According to Blue Oyster Cult, it's not a song about suicide, even though it's often been mistaken/misinterpreted as such; the song was meant to be about how because death is inevitable, it shouldn't be feared. The songwriter did admit that he was inspired to write the song after he thought about what would happen if he died at a young age, but I believe many of us have wondered similar things - I can attest to this myself, because in my nearly lifelong struggles to lose weight, it's been a lingering concern in the back of my mind that what if my weight problems contribute to an early death in me? I mean, look at the likes of John Pinette, Dom DeLuise, John Candy, Chris Farley, and others . . . they died at either young or reasonably respectable ages, and their weight played a factor in their deaths . . . I really don't want that to happen to me.

But anyway, heard yet another “Halloween” song at random today: Edgar Winter's “Frankenstein.” Granted, listening to it, you wouldn't think of it as a Halloween song, you'd think it was some kind of psychedelic instrumental that you'd hear on the beach or something. Similarly, listening to Bob Marley's “Dracula” certainly wouldn't put you in the mind of Halloween either, but that's often played as a Halloween song too.

Joseph Scarbrough
J_Scarbrough at 8:14PM, Feb. 8, 2023
(offline)
Pixar is now coming out with a TOY STORY 5. That's right . . . a TOY STORE 5.

Pixar has now officially lost all credibility.

Joseph Scarbrough
kawaiidaigakusei at 8:41PM, Feb. 8, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Pixar is now coming out with a TOY STORY 5. That's right . . . a TOY STORE 5.

I have always, always, always been more curious to know how Sid Phillips has been handling adult-life as his upbringing (as shown by the aged interior of his house, the parent asleep surrounded by empty aluminum cans, and his odd fixation of taking apart toys and putting them together again). Years ago, when Toy Story 3 came out, it was rumored that he was the garbage man with the headphones.

I want to know More. What has Sid been up to all these years?!?
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
J_Scarbrough at 8:49PM, Feb. 8, 2023
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Years ago, when Toy Story 3 came out, it was rumored that he was the garbage man with the headphones.
He was; that was actually confirmed.

Joseph Scarbrough
bravo1102 at 12:00AM, Feb. 9, 2023
(offline)
My college roommate was one of those overweight people who died young. Massive heart attack at 40.
Ozoneocean at 6:14AM, Feb. 9, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
What about the Buzz Lightyear movie?
UGH…
It was supposed to be what the original kid loved as his his fave movie and why he liked the Buzz Lightyear toy. But it had NOTHING in common with the sort of space adventure film that the boy would have watched back then.

It SHOULD have been stylised, traditional space opera action thing. Very stylised and heroic…
Instead what we got was a very serious and very modern 2022 story about the dangers of travel at relativistic speeds and making the best of things as they are etc.
In its own right it was an ok movie. Standing on its own it wasn't horrible.
But in relation to Toy Story is stupid.
Banes at 2:54PM, Feb. 9, 2023
(offline)
Back in the day, and as a fan of the first Toy Story - and the second…why not - I couldn’t wait to see Toy Story 3. The story wasn’t over. The third movie promised to answer the question ‘what happens when Andy grows up?’

The movie delivered spectacularly - as for Toy Story 4, I couldn’t have cared less. The story was over. Sure, there was the promise of seeing Bo Peep again. Not quite enough, haha. I guess it did well enough to greenlight a fifth. Surprising! All the best to them - I ain’t going. I guess not having kids I’m not representative of the audience.

J_Scarbrough at 3:16PM, Feb. 9, 2023
(offline)
Honestly, the whole plot of TS4 sounded more like one of those “What if?” kinds of fanfics that people write when there's a certain character or plot element they felt didn't get enough of the spotlight in the canon of what they write about, and in this case, it seems like a fanfic that would've also been written by a Woody/Bo Peep shipper.

Also, TS3 has wrapped up the whole story so beautifully, and looked as though that Woody and the gang would've lived happily ever after with Bonnie (or at least until she grew up) . . . then TS4 comes along and showed that Bonnie was an ungrateful little snot who didn't even care about Woody anyway.

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 8:04PM, Feb. 9, 2023
(online)
I still haven't actually seen a single Toy Story film XD

I have Disney+ now so I could I suppose, and I've watched all of the other Pixar things, even Cars, which I didn't think I'd like, though the sequels and shorts were arse. But I just still haven't yet. I suppose the crappy early CGI is a bit of a turn off at this point.
J_Scarbrough at 9:31PM, Feb. 9, 2023
(offline)
From a technical and artistic standpoint, no, unfortunately the original TOY STORY has not aged well at all. It's amusing to think that once upon a time, that was such a big, groundbreaking deal, at it was the very first full CGI movie ever made. Of course, this was back during a time when CGI was still new and advancing rather rapidly, not to mention not everybody was doing it; Pixar certainly laid out the foundation, but then DreamWorks came along specifically to compete with Disney and Pixar (mainly because Jeffrey Katzenberg was ousted from Disney because he tried to make TOY STORY all dark, edgy, and raunchy), so both of these studios had to continually bring their A-game to try to top the other . . . then Blue Sky came along with ICE AGE, so that just raised the bar even higher, and the competition became more fierce.

Fast-forward to today; there are now umpteen different animation studios who put out movies all the time, almost all animation is CGI now, the novelty has long died, studios are no longer bringing their A-game because there's practically no competition anymore.

Joseph Scarbrough
bravo1102 at 1:56AM, Feb. 10, 2023
(offline)
TS4 ? How can it be worth anything with my two favorite character voices gone? No Don Rickles or R. Lee Ermy? Who cares.

Never liked Buzz or Woody, I was there for Mr. Potato head and the Green army men.
J_Scarbrough at 8:25AM, Feb. 10, 2023
(offline)
I loved Mr. Potato Head too, but then again, Mr. Potato Head was one of my very favorite childhood toys.

But from I understand, they apparently had enough archived material recorded of Don Rickles voice that they were able to manipulate it into whatever brief dialogue the character had in TS4 without having to recast him altogether . . . and some people were upset about that, considering TS3 completely recast Slinky Dog due to Jim Varney's death (though, to be fair, Blake Clark was good friends with Jim Varney in real life, and did his best to capture Varney's essence when voicing Slinky).

Joseph Scarbrough
elektro at 11:42AM, Feb. 10, 2023
(offline)
What is the point of a fifth one if the fourth one was unnecessary?

If you think the first Toy Story's CG is off-putting, look up Tin Toy: one of Pixar's earliest animations.

One last thing: how many people know that there was an officially sanctioned Potato Head comic strip? It didn't last very long, and was made by the same team that made Garfield.
J_Scarbrough at 12:07PM, Feb. 10, 2023
(offline)
elektro wrote:
One last thing: how many people know that there was an officially sanctioned Potato Head comic strip? It didn't last very long, and was made by the same team that made Garfield.
Holy crap! I remember that! I read it everyday when it ran in my newspaper!

Joseph Scarbrough
Banes at 10:20AM, Feb. 12, 2023
(offline)
There's some controversy online (I know, it's hard to believe!), with YouTube Star Trek commentators and season 3 of Picard.

I'm hearing some enthusiasm for the season that's got me very excited! And some understandable cynicism as well.

For me, I'm going to avoid as many spoilers as possible and go in with hopeful optimism. It would be very nice to see the Next Generation crew get a satisfying sendoff; they deserve it.

Banes at 10:24AM, Feb. 12, 2023
(offline)
(Granted, they HAD a satisfying sendoff in their TV series - but hey, I'll take another one xD)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon