Comic Talk and General Discussion *

So what about the aliens?
Andreas_Helixfinger at 7:46PM, Sept. 10, 2023
(offline)
So! As we all should be aware about now, lots of crazy stuff is happening in these times. You have climate change. Pandemics. Financial crisis. Superpowers invading countries. This whole AI thing going nuts. It's a weird time to be alive. So!? What about interdimensional aliens showing up anytime soon?

WHat do you guys think the aliens would be up to here on Earth? Would they invade us? Or spy on us? Or maybe see all of our problems and help us fix that maybe because they feel like it? Will we finally see an attack of the Robofemoids actually happen - hello Bravo, welcome;)

This is just a funny little spitball thing that I just felt like doing on a fly, trying to just have a laugh at the scary times - or exciting times depending on how you look at it - we're all in right now, you know. So what are your thoughts on the aliens coming over to visit us? Please, let me know.
last edited on Sept. 10, 2023 7:52PM
lothar at 8:18PM, Sept. 10, 2023
(offline)
And I pray

OMG do I pray

I pray every single day

For alien invasion
kawaiidaigakusei at 8:56PM, Sept. 10, 2023
(online)
lothar wrote:
And I pray

OMG do I pray

I pray every single day

For alien invasion

Lothar, your prayers have been answered!!

“What’s Going On??” - 4NonBlondes
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
takoyama at 10:11PM, Sept. 10, 2023
(online)
Andreas_Helixfinger wrote:
So! As we all should be aware about now, lots of crazy stuff is happening in these times. You have climate change. Pandemics. Financial crisis. Superpowers invading countries. This whole AI thing going nuts. It's a weird time to be alive. So!? What about interdimensional aliens showing up anytime soon?

WHat do you guys think the aliens would be up to here on Earth? Would they invade us? Or spy on us? Or maybe see all of our problems and help us fix that maybe because they feel like it? Will we finally see an attack of the Robofemoids actually happen - hello Bravo, welcome;)

This is just a funny little spitball thing that I just felt like doing on a fly, trying to just have a laugh at the scary times - or exciting times depending on how you look at it - we're all in right now, you know. So what are your thoughts on the aliens coming over to visit us? Please, let me know.

All those things you mentioned seem sort of normal. we always have dealt with some kind of bad weather for years, the pandemic was new to some but to others around the world not that new, we have had bad inflation and depressions for years and plenty of wars around the world too. the big difference is coverage, we use to get informed by the evening news and papers but now we have more access. if aliens came they would just be another story for a year or two then just fit in.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 11:50PM, Sept. 10, 2023
(offline)
takoyama wrote:

All those things you mentioned seem sort of normal. we always have dealt with some kind of bad weather for years, the pandemic was new to some but to others around the world not that new, we have had bad inflation and depressions for years and plenty of wars around the world too. the big difference is coverage, we use to get informed by the evening news and papers but now we have more access. if aliens came they would just be another story for a year or two then just fit in.

Well, it is true I think from an historic perspective. The world has gone through climate changes and enviromental disasters in the past. We live on a planet that's made up of volcanos after all. We've seen pandemics worse then the Covid one. Wars indeed is nothing new. Nor is financial uphheavals. We've always had these mind blowing innovations that are dangerous i. e. the atomic bomb, or ones that a lot of people may have considered dangerous. Just take lamp posts for example.

When those became a thing people were protesting about them because they considered them just as another way for the ruling class to control the masses, not too dissimilar from how we look at security cameras and spyware being all over the place in modern times.

As for aliens, well, I saw this video of Sadghuru, the famous mystic from india, where he visited Lake Manasarovar in Tibet and speculated that this lake was, or still is, a gathering place for something of another dimension entirely. Maybe the aliens that originally created humanity or is trying to become humans themselves in order to enter our reality or perhaps even create a brand new humanity to populate the world.

Pretty exciting speculation I think, or at least the way it's presented^^ But one thing for sure, as you say, is that we do live in a time with more media coverage then ever before. A LOT of information. Possibly TOO much information, true or false, reaching us everyday,

last edited on Sept. 11, 2023 12:03AM
bravo1102 at 7:02AM, Sept. 11, 2023
(offline)
Silly people. Earth is under quarantine because Earth humans are a violent primitive and backwards species. We don't even have practical Interstellar space flight yet.
No invasions. Earth is a quarantined protectorate like some backwards child race under the British Empire in the 19th century.
Humans are the biggest joke in the galaxy. Earth is the very definition of primitive and backwards. Amywhere in the galaxy someone says something stupid they tell them they sound like an Earther.
We're lucky we aren't targeted for extermination.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 8:15AM, Sept. 11, 2023
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
Silly people. Earth is under quarantine because Earth humans are a violent primitive and backwards species. We don't even have practical Interstellar space flight yet.
No invasions. Earth is a quarantined protectorate like some backwards child race under the British Empire in the 19th century.
Humans are the biggest joke in the galaxy. Earth is the very definition of primitive and backwards. Amywhere in the galaxy someone says something stupid they tell them they sound like an Earther.
We're lucky we aren't targeted for extermination.

I wonder if ancient civilizations like Atlantis were onto stuff like interstellar space travel. Maybe that's why the aliens had to sink it:P A Coverup sabotage like those that earth goverments will pull off from time to time in order to stay on top of the food chain:P
last edited on Sept. 11, 2023 8:16AM
InkyMoondrop at 9:32AM, Sept. 11, 2023
(offline)
As far as I've heard, chimpanzees engage in wars, cats and dolphins engage in acts of cruelty out of pleasure and we don't have to introduce humans of course. If it has anything to do with intelligence, we do not want any challengers to appear on that front. A virus or something on an asteroid is far more likely to exist (and wipe us out) than little green men waging secret wars on us. And no amount of information on how to solve our problems will make a difference as long as people in all the confusion and complicated lives they have fail to utilize it. We individually have access to more knowledge than we could ever possibly learn, we have the means to seek enlightenment, to save pets and the environment day and night, we have the means to not be dicks to each other time after time some stranger disagrees with us on the internet. But we also have preferences and emotional wiring. Engaging in fantasies about intergalactic encounters and such beats reality, so we do it. If it'd be our reality, we'd be in for a disappointment.
last edited on Sept. 11, 2023 9:35AM
Andreas_Helixfinger at 10:42AM, Sept. 11, 2023
(offline)
InkyMoondrop wrote:
As far as I've heard, chimpanzees engage in wars, cats and dolphins engage in acts of cruelty out of pleasure and we don't have to introduce humans of course. If it has anything to do with intelligence, we do not want any challengers to appear on that front. A virus or something on an asteroid is far more likely to exist (and wipe us out) than little green men waging secret wars on us. And no amount of information on how to solve our problems will make a difference as long as people in all the confusion and complicated lives they have fail to utilize it. We individually have access to more knowledge than we could ever possibly learn, we have the means to seek enlightenment, to save pets and the environment day and night, we have the means to not be dicks to each other time after time some stranger disagrees with us on the internet. But we also have preferences and emotional wiring. Engaging in fantasies about intergalactic encounters and such beats reality, so we do it. If it'd be our reality, we'd be in for a disappointment.

Though, even if it is just temporary, reality can be wilder then fiction sometimes.
last edited on Sept. 11, 2023 10:43AM
kawaiidaigakusei at 11:34AM, Sept. 11, 2023
(online)
I like studying about dinosaurs and the meteor containing iridium that hit the Yucatan peninsula and spelled out the dinosaurs demise.

I'll bet the aliens are here, and like the bathroom scene in The Shining, they have always been here.

Carl Sagan quoted David Hume in Cosmos, saying that, “comets were the reproductive cells–the eggs or sperm–of planetary systems, that planets are produced by a kind of interstellar sex.”

That being the case, I am sure there have already been several space objects like the Voyager I and II shot up into space containing human reproductive cells with the hope that they will crash land on a moon or rogue planet with the hope of creating life elsewhere.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Andreas_Helixfinger at 7:18PM, Sept. 11, 2023
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
I like studying about dinosaurs and the meteor containing iridium that hit the Yucatan peninsula and spelled out the dinosaurs demise.

I'll bet the aliens are here, and like the bathroom scene in The Shining, they have always been here.

Carl Sagan quoted David Hume in Cosmos, saying that, “comets were the reproductive cells–the eggs or sperm–of planetary systems, that planets are produced by a kind of interstellar sex.”

That being the case, I am sure there have already been several space objects like the Voyager I and II shot up into space containing human reproductive cells with the hope that they will crash land on a moon or rogue planet with the hope of creating life elsewhere.

Could be. Everything's going according to plan in that case.
Ozoneocean at 8:16PM, Sept. 11, 2023
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
meteor containing iridium
The alien stuff is nonsense but iridium is so cool. It's one of the hardest,densest elements, and doesn't react with much, though when it does it makes very pretty coloured salts, hence its name. It's related to platinum, along with Osmium which is just as hard and dense but quite poisonousness.

Anyway, I would love an iridium piece of jewellery and must get one some day.
bravo1102 at 12:05AM, Sept. 12, 2023
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

They found out that it really wasn't necessary. The bits necessary for life seem to arise and come together all by themselves given enough time.
The work is vast, fascinating and on going. Seems we just might have a handle on the formation of self replicating proteins.
Ozoneocean at 7:32PM, Sept. 27, 2023
(online)
lothar wrote:
For alien invasion
You have to wonder what an alien “invasion” would really look like.
Almost all media shows a very unimaginative, unscientific version of the concept with usually humanoid aliens that are human sized and use pretty normal weapons to attack.

I think a cleverer version of it is maybe the Kaiju in Pacific Rim or the monster in Cloverfield.
But really aliens can't look like anything produced by earth genetics, so no head, no same amount of limbs, no similar heights etc.

You also have to factor they they had to travel at almost the speed of light to get here or warped in some way so their tech is so far beyond ours that it's basically magic. There would be zero way to defend against an alien invader. They'd just sterilize us from a million kilometres way- using directed energy weapons like X-ray or gamma ray blast, or causing the sun to fry us with a massive plasma ejection, or a just lob a moon sized meteor at us.

Most likely though they'd just be interested in watching and never interacting because life in the universe will be rare and hard to find and incredibly valuable from what it can teach you about yourself and how life evolves and changes- we can only learn so much because all life on earth came from one single source, but aliens who can view life from other sources can learn SO much more.
bravo1102 at 12:06AM, Sept. 28, 2023
(offline)
Why would they want to interact or conquer? If they have space flight, they probably also don't need real estate or slaves. With Interstellar space flight there's a lot of other places to play with. And if they are so alien as Ozoneocean says why would they want to actually interact and not just study? And can they even interact with us? The biologies could be incompatible and it's not worth the effort to explore in EV suits when you can just send down some drones to look around.

That is actually one imagined scenario behind the Greys and alien abduction. The Greys are actually a drone species created by someone else.
That is actually why all the aliens reported in encounters are roughly humanoid. The actual entities created roughly humanoid drones or entities to interact with us because they can't do it themselves. There is also a tendency for alien descriptions to reflect depictions of aliens TV shows and other media. A prototype Grey appears on the cover of a pulp SciFi magazine from the 1940s. Additionally an episode of Outer Limits had aired a month before Betty and Barney Hill's abduction with aliens that matched their descriptions.
The description of the “alien” chupacabra matches the alien from the movie Species which the original witness saw in the movies a night before her “encounter”.
last edited on Sept. 28, 2023 4:07AM
PaulEberhardt at 8:55AM, Sept. 28, 2023
(offline)
There's a school of thought that the invasion has already happened, but we forgot about it. The aliens were us! Or they brought us here as prisoners to be disposed of.
Think of it: human expansion on this planet has all the hallmarks of what an invasive species does to an ecosystem, like rabbits and cats in Australia.
Apes and fossil remains of so-called proto-humans would be the degenerated descendants of those who remained behind after earlier invasion waves, scouting missions perhaps.
Some people still have 22 or 26-hour sleep cycles, and why else does the sun look yellowish to us, when we should have evolved to see his peak emissions as white?
Also, we're a warlike species that has always found space irresistibly fascinating, and if that's not enough: we've got Elon Musk…

😁

Of course, I was just kidding.
Anyone with some scientific training could probably debunk this rubbish in the blink of an eye.
It's a fun idea to fool around with, though.
last edited on Oct. 1, 2023 12:21PM
Ozoneocean at 10:20AM, Sept. 28, 2023
(online)
A yellow sun is something I've always been mystified by… I see the sun as white. i never understood why people say they see it as yellow XD

I mean at sunset and sunrise it can get yellowish but then it can also be pink or red or orange so none of that counts.
PaulEberhardt at 11:36AM, Sept. 28, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
A yellow sun is something I've always been mystified by… I see the sun as white. i never understood why people say they see it as yellow XD

I mean at sunset and sunrise it can get yellowish but then it can also be pink or red or orange so none of that counts.

Congratulations, Oz - you're good at debunking: I live something like 20 degrees of latitude further away from the equator and the tropics than you, so in Germany or the UK the sun won't get high enough in the sky to look perfectly white for about one half of the year. It's the same effect as with the sunsets, only weaker. And since yellow smiling suns feature in all kinds of picture books and astronomers will say it's yellow, too (when compared to Sirius and Vega anyway, so it doesn't really count), there will always be enough people who will automatically say it's yellowish.

Fun fact - to help us get back to aliens: an astronomer told me that on a planet around a red dwarf, which has a much redder spectrum, we'd still see it as rather whitish when it's high in the sky at noon, partly because our eyes would adapt to it eventually.
last edited on Sept. 28, 2023 11:21PM
bravo1102 at 4:15AM, Sept. 30, 2023
(offline)
At one point in the history of science there were debates about the whiteness of sunlight versus yellow. So they set up.a bunch of experiments and determined that the sun is indeed yellow. It's atmosphere and climate that determines our perception on the planet, but our sun is indeed a yellow dwarf star.

What humans experience or think they experience isn't necessarily what is physically there. We are very flawed but there are ways to control for that. Incredulity can be one of the biggest blocks to accepting and evaluating the evidence. That's why there's the so-called skeptic's toolbox or bullshit detector.

Sure the stories about Deep Underground Military Bases and aliens can be cool. Sure Planet Serpo and MiB stories are fun. Sure Rendlesham forest and Roswell are great examples of modern myth creation, but get out Occam's and Hitchens' razors and it's just a bunch of neat story telling with as much fact to it as the labors of Hercules.
last edited on Sept. 30, 2023 4:16AM
lothar at 8:03AM, Sept. 30, 2023
(offline)
The sun is indeed yellow. Just look at it. I can't do that now cuz it's midnight.
Ozoneocean at 7:07PM, Oct. 1, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
but our sun is indeed a yellow dwarf star.
Scientifically the sun is yellow but as much as I can see it, it is white.
You get me? It's like the earth is round, but as far as I'm concerned in my daily life it's flat- Neither of those things is wrong because they're both correct in different contexts. :)

It's like the sky is blue to us because that's what we see but in reality it's colourless and there is only black out there with white specks. Both things are correct!
bravo1102 at 4:51AM, Oct. 2, 2023
(offline)
As someone who's taught land navigation- even for short distance you are affected by the earth's curvature doing any kind of navigation or surveying. I've been personally affected and was off on the long leg of a land navigation problem because of not allowing for curvature. Didn't bother reading the map legend.

I did read that at certain latitudes the sun's yellow light is not apparent so it's nothing special just observational conditions. That's why there was debate and it was felt necessary to do experiments to verify the actual wavelengths of light. And whether you see it or not they remain yellow. Whether you have to account for curvature doing navigation or not, the earth remains curved.

A clear day, visibility unlimited and calm seas you can see it. I woke my wife up jumping up and down telling that I'd seen evidence of the curvature while watching a vessel on the horizon. I am easily amused and it was a potentially boring sea day on the cruise.
PaulEberhardt at 11:31AM, Oct. 5, 2023
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
As someone who's taught land navigation- even for short distance you are affected by the earth's curvature doing any kind of navigation or surveying. I've been personally affected and was off on the long leg of a land navigation problem because of not allowing for curvature. Didn't bother reading the map legend.

I did read that at certain latitudes the sun's yellow light is not apparent so it's nothing special just observational conditions. That's why there was debate and it was felt necessary to do experiments to verify the actual wavelengths of light. And whether you see it or not they remain yellow. Whether you have to account for curvature doing navigation or not, the earth remains curved.

A clear day, visibility unlimited and calm seas you can see it. I woke my wife up jumping up and down telling that I'd seen evidence of the curvature while watching a vessel on the horizon. I am easily amused and it was a potentially boring sea day on the cruise.

I teach geography, myself, and thus I can totally relate. I guess having to live with others shaking their heads at what kind of things people like us can get excited about is part of the job. 😉 Teaching English as well possibly adds to making me a hopeless case in this respect.
On the other hand, it might help me stay relatively calm if the aliens came invading: after all, I work with teenagers every day…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon