Platinum buying wowio?
bongotezz at 12:52PM, June 30, 2008
(offline)
i found this article and thought some of you might be interested in reading it

http://blog.newsarama.com/2008/06/30/platinum-negotiating-to-buy-wowio/
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
Hanzou at 1:25PM, June 30, 2008
(online)
Very surprising move. I wonder why they want to purchase Wowio.
PSK Every Monday and Friday

http://www.webcomicsnation.com/measley/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:42PM
liz at 4:00PM, June 30, 2008
(offline)
I hope Wowio stays that same, or isn't changed much. I've never been there, but from what I hear it's a great site for comics and such. There are a lot of mixed responses from fans of Wowio on Platinum Studio's move.

Updates every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday! =D
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
Red Slayer at 4:24PM, June 30, 2008
(online)
I hope that this helps wowio go international if it happens.

I have seen really awesome comics there that i can't adquire because i no americano residento.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:03PM
Aussie_kid at 7:18PM, June 30, 2008
(online)
Red Slayer
I hope that this helps wowio go international if it happens.

I have seen really awesome comics there that i can't adquire because i no americano residento.

Same. I have a few things I'd like to make into an eBook, but can't (The name should give you a clue as to why)
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
Ozoneocean at 7:53PM, June 30, 2008
(online)
Good to see it finally went through :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
Blues at 10:16PM, June 30, 2008
(offline)
Is Platinuim ever going to try buying something that makes enough money to justify the purchase?
theres this girl i know, she's a lovely person and all, but she's absolutely obsessed with me… she speaks to me on msn every day and says she loves me and wants to be with me forever, all that shit, theres just one problam…
she's my cousin
and i dunno what to do… she's 100% serious
apparently (according to my mother) she spoke to my mother and asked if it was okay… my mum then proceeded to come in and say “go for it”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
SpANG at 10:45AM, July 2, 2008
(online)
Blues
Is Platinuim ever going to try buying something that makes enough money to justify the purchase?
You're posting on it. ;)

But that's kind of an ignorant statement, since you don't know HOW MUCH it is being negotiated for.

The Wowio deal hasn't gone through yet, to my knowledge. I don't even know if other parties are looking at it too, since this article doesn't mention it either way.

There are already some changes afoot with Wowio, as it seems that it will be going GLOBAL soon (not just the U.S.).

Wowio is a great thing for PS to acquire, though. Why re-invent the wheel? Plus, it may get a lot of talented DD people a chance to make some moolah, too. :)

“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
bongotezz at 12:56PM, July 2, 2008
(offline)
I was thinking about signing up to distribute my comics. depending on what comes of this i might just do it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
WadeTheFade at 1:56PM, July 2, 2008
(offline)
It is scary really… I've been away from the scene at about when Platinum Studios bought DrunkDuck, how have they been to you guys?
—-> Choicecomics.net Webcomic Directory. Improve your search rankings!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:43PM
Blues at 10:14PM, July 2, 2008
(offline)
SpANG
Blues
You're posting on it. ;)

So you're saying that Drunkduck is turning a profit? I could be wrong and they somehow are, but if it was then the fixes people have been bringing up for months would've been fixed months ago cos they'd have been be putting some real amount of focus on the site as opposed to you guys not even knowing what was happening. And no, this isn't an attempt to bring up the bug issue some more, it's an example.

SpANG
But that's kind of an ignorant statement, since you don't know HOW MUCH it is being negotiated for.

I never said they've purchased it, but it's clear they're trying

SpANG
There are already some changes afoot with Wowio, as it seems that it will be going GLOBAL soon (not just the U.S.).

Until wowio is back up there's no telling how well it will do globally and how sustainable it is

theres this girl i know, she's a lovely person and all, but she's absolutely obsessed with me… she speaks to me on msn every day and says she loves me and wants to be with me forever, all that shit, theres just one problam…
she's my cousin
and i dunno what to do… she's 100% serious
apparently (according to my mother) she spoke to my mother and asked if it was okay… my mum then proceeded to come in and say “go for it”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
SpANG at 8:09AM, July 3, 2008
(online)
Blues
So you're saying that Drunkduck is turning a profit? I could be wrong and they somehow are, but if it was then the fixes people have been bringing up for months would've been fixed months ago cos they'd have been be putting some real amount of focus on the site as opposed to you guys not even knowing what was happening. And no, this isn't an attempt to bring up the bug issue some more, it's an example.
Drunk Duck makes enough money to keep itself online and in existence. You never asked about profits. But even if it isn't making a profit, the value of DD is pretty clear.

I never said they've purchased it, but it's clear they're trying
I never said you said they purchased it. Why don't you start reading posts before you respond to them?
You said…
And I said you have NO IDEA what they are negotiating. In other words, how do YOU happen to know if it's justifiable or not?

Until wowio is back up there's no telling how well it will do globally and how sustainable it is
No kidding. The same could be said about the success of anything new that launches. Why be negative about it? It could be one of the best things that could happen. You're a real negative nelly. :P
crocty at 8:20AM, July 3, 2008
(offline)
Hey great, they can buy it, then not allow the site admins to work on the site!
Those marketing geniuses!
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:52AM
lefarce at 8:21AM, July 3, 2008
(online)
Someone
And I said you have NO IDEA what they are negotiating. In other words, how do YOU happen to know if it's justifiable or not?

Now hey SpANG, we're all adults and can agree on what is plain as day. Platinum has had a shakey history of ill-fated purchases, not paying people, etc etc. This is out in the open information, doesn't take more than a google search to locate.

I think from experiance being a bit concerned about them spending more money is perfectly reasonable and not ignorant. However, you make an excellent point. The public does not know the specifics of the deal. It can be a bust or a boom.

From what I heard (and this is purely rumor, I'm not going to go find the site that mentioned this I'll be honest) Wowio is paying Platinum with some sort of incentive to buy them. Person who told me this colorfully put it as “a hooker approaching a hobo”, which makes sense. It's an interesting deal, and if profitable enough it could turn the tables for Platinum.

Then again if it turns sour, well, it seems as if the company can't afford many more nails in their coffin, or so to speak.

Again, my info is a bit hazy. I kinda just stopped giving a shit after the whole not getting paid thing that went on a while ago. :/

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
SpANG at 9:43AM, July 3, 2008
(online)
lefarce
Platinum has had a shakey history of ill-fated purchases, not paying people, etc etc.
lefarce
I think from experience being a bit concerned about them spending more money is perfectly reasonable and not ignorant.
lefarce
From what I heard (and this is purely rumor, I'm not going to go find the site that mentioned this I'll be honest) Wowio is paying Platinum with some sort of incentive to buy them.
Uhhh. Didn't you just make my point for me? The fact of the matter is that none of us know the inner workings of the deal yet. We don't even know if PS paid anything out-of-pocket. If your source is right, it doesn't look like they did.

Look, Wowio is a great site. It pays artists for their work. I can't see it being a bad acquisition.
lefarce at 6:48AM, July 4, 2008
(online)
Someone
Uhhh. Didn't you just make my point for me?

Hey no, sarcasm was a totally reasonable response to an argument that wasn't even there.

Yes I was agreeing with your point, and I was being pretty obvious about it.

I was just trying to make sense of Blue's concern as well, saying that both of you make pretty good points and that not one of you quite fits the bill of “ignorant”.

My personal opinion on the matter is: so what. Platinum has made plenty of good buys that have later turned into debacles. So long as they handle this well, who cares?

SpANG at 6:53AM, July 4, 2008
(online)
Fair enough.
Bekefel at 6:55AM, July 4, 2008
(offline)
I love starting pointless arguments because I'm so arrogant with my opinion!

Who am I?
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
lefarce at 6:55AM, July 4, 2008
(online)
Yeah after reading that post again I sounded confusing as fuck. My bad. I guess that's what happens when you type about buyouts right before you passout.

ANYWAY

Ozoneocean at 8:53AM, July 4, 2008
(online)
Bekefel

Who am I?
I do that more than anyone else. Look at how seriously I took that gender transformation thread! lol!

And that's just a tiny sampler… it gets worse! o_O
SpANG at 8:58AM, July 4, 2008
(online)
Bekefel

Who am I?
99% of forum posters worldwide?
Ozoneocean at 9:03AM, July 4, 2008
(online)
SpANG
99% of forum posters worldwide?
Way to burst my bubble :(
ccs1989 at 6:17PM, July 5, 2008
(online)
When Plat took over DD they helped it. Hopefully they will allow Wowio to continue mostly the same way and also become better. Seems that's already started happening.

I may dislike a lot of Platinum Studio's comics, but they have good business sense.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
c_arnold at 5:01AM, July 29, 2008
(offline)
It's disappointing this thread devolved into a pointless argument as quickly as it did. I'm actually curious about the Platinum buyout of wowio. Since I didn't see any recent news on the Platinum buyout of wowio on yahoo business other than the were making a move to do so, I looked around and found that apparently PublishersWeekly.com, “The Beat”, says that it's already happened, Wowio's been bought.

Reading the various web-comic sites I like and the miscellaneous news following the buyout, it doesn't read like the pending changes past the whole fact that they're going global are entirely welcome, but what change ever is. Mainly seems to be centered around “vague” terminology in the contracts. I'm also concerned that there are folks departing wowio with the buyout, rather than being removed, that never bodes well. I find it really alarming when you've also got artists saying they're not going continue with Wowio.

Either way, I'm curious as to what, if any, improvements that Platinum can make to Wowio.com that's as beneficial to the various web-comics that have stuck with Wowio to date, or would seek to use the service. Now that they're planning to take it global, they're going to face some really interesting challenges.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
Ozoneocean at 5:17AM, July 29, 2008
(online)
A lot of the anti stuff just stems from some sort of nebulous juvenile distrust and dislike of Platinum. They're like “the commies” to these paranoid comic people…

From what little I know of the buyout, Plat wasn't taking over Wowio. The joining was more like a marriage of mutual benefit.
lefarce at 12:17PM, July 29, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
A lot of the anti stuff just stems from some sort of nebulous juvenile distrust and dislike of Platinum. They're like “the commies” to these paranoid comic people…

I know what you mean duder, it's almost as juvinile as not paying people. I mean wtf is up with that amirite?

SpANG at 1:43PM, July 29, 2008
(online)
lefarce
I know what you mean duder, it's almost as juvinile as not paying people. I mean wtf is up with that amirite?
I know. “Not having capitol” is exactly like “being juvenile”. The phrases are synonymous. Like when you ranted about not being able to pay your rent because of your hospital visit. That was so juvenile of you.
Eirikr at 1:58PM, July 29, 2008
(online)
I just looked up Juvenile in Urban Dictionary, here's the definition for it: Juvenile- The last two posts.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
Skullbie at 1:58PM, July 29, 2008
(online)
SpANG
Like when you ranted about not being able to pay your rent because of your hospital visit. That was so juvenile of you.

Yeeouch Spang ;)
But that's a pretty good example on how to look at Platinum's situation before… i think this wowio deal is going to turn out good since Platinum seems to provide a more ‘nurture and help’ role- like re-starting DD and the webcomics they pay people to make. ^^
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
lefarce at 7:59PM, July 29, 2008
(online)
SpANG
lefarce
I know. “Not having capitol” is exactly like “being juvenile”. The phrases are synonymous. Like when you ranted about not being able to pay your rent because of your hospital visit. That was so juvenile of you.

SpANG how do I explain this to you… I would imagine like a two year old, since it's kinda' hard speaking to a blubbering vindictive woman like yourself, too bitter about old grudges to admit fault or shake your opinion to the bitter end.

Lets say Marry gives Joe a contract. In this sheet of paper there are words, words bound by law (something you cannot break). These words say that Marry can sell lemonade and grinders on Joe's property. Joe wants some money from Marry's lemonade and grinders, but in turn Marry gets a cut of the profit. The two shake hands and Marry signs the contract. The two are quite happy with their understanding that both will be making money.

But as time goes on Joe's property loses value, and he needs more of Marry's lemonade and grinder money to cover costs on his plot of land. Marry, in turn, does not get paid for any of these lemonade or grinders she sold. Joe takes all the money to cover his costs, and eventually the two have a falling out.

Joe gets his property back on track and couldn't be more pleased with himself, and eagerly goes out to find more people willing to sell their products on his property. He approches you and asks if you would like to sell something on his land.

Do you accept the contract, even though Marry and various others have not only gone unpaid for their hard work fixing up delicious grinders and lemonade, or do you, SpANG, just grab that pen and punch it through the sheet of paper and go “WELL SHUREE BUDDY”

Do you put on your little newspaper hat and get to work, or are you going to sit back and put a thumb to your chin wondering if such a thing would actually pay off.

Platinum was in debt sure (or whatever phrase your want to look up online to make yourself look smart), that doesn't excuse the fact that they said in writing that they would pay money where it was due. It's shady, lets face facts. Either you trust Platinum Studios or you dont. And y'know what, no one is really wrong, SpANG. But in your world someone has to be. There NEEDS to be conflict. Because if you aren't right then y'know what this world just doesn't make sense anymore. They need you right now. When they dont; they'll cast you out. Like a leper. See, their contract, their code: it's a bad joke. They're dropped at the first sign of trouble. Platinum is only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show ya. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster; I'm just ahead of the curve.

tl;dr: I would rather shoot blood out my ass for the rest of my life than live with whatever warped sense of logic you have every single day.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon