Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What do americans think of the British?
DAJB at 3:20AM, Dec. 1, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
I thought Americans thought of British men as effete and gay sounding….
I believe that time has been and gone. Now, thanks to the typecasting of British actors like Charles Dance, Timothy Dalton and Jeremy Irons, I'm sure they must think we're all calculating super villains.

And, apparently, that England is somewhere in Eastern Europe! ;-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
Bekefel at 6:00AM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
ozone
I thought Americans thought of British men as effete and gay sounding….

Well I am simply faaaaaaabulous darling! Unfortunately not all of my peers sound quite so charming and well mannered. In fact I was confronted by a young lady only the other week who simply asked in her peasant tone “buy me some fags wud'cha?” to which I replied “certainly not you filthy young vagrant, good day!”. Marvelous fun it was, mhm yes, quite.

I've always enjoyed the Scottish accent, think it's kinda cool. Hottest accent, despite the mockery of the nation, has to be French. With the right voice speaking French, damn. As for the American accent, I'm honestly not keen on it. It often seems to seap out arrogance, or just a general annoyingness. Of course thats generally thanks to the kids you speak to on Xbox live or the girls you see in programs like My Sweet 16, Next, Date my Mom and all the trashy over dramatic American programs like The OC or 90210. I know all of America isn't like that, but damn those shows are hard to stomach.

But really, everyone loves a different accent that differs from the normality of those around them.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
zaymac at 9:53AM, Dec. 1, 2009
(online)
Hmmm… Since I have the uncanny ability to imitate most accents, I"ll have to do a social experiment as to which one scores best with the ladies.

My preliminary guess… Chinese.

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:55PM
kyupol at 12:01PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(online)
I think that British are generally a polite and intelligent people with a high level of patience.

In fact, they seem to be a little too patient with Big Brother. The UK has more CCTV cameras than China and is the world's most surveilled state.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 1:10PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
kyupol
I think that British are generally a polite and intelligent people with a high level of patience.

Wait for it…

kyupol
In fact, they seem to be a little too patient with Big Brother. The UK has more CCTV cameras than China and is the world's most surveilled state.

BAM!
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
crocty at 1:33PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
kyupol
is the world's most surveilled state.
The UK isn't part of the United States, numbnuts.

Jeez…

Also I have no idea what you mean by surveillance…Do you mean the government issued happiness-recorders? Or maybe the micro fun-detectors they place in our skulls?
Oh, it's beeping again…
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 2:08PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
crocty

Maybe someday soon. ;)
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Hakoshen at 2:09PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
Atom Apple
crocty

Maybe someday soon. ;)

Somebody link United States of Eurasia for me. I can't do it at work.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
AQua_ng at 2:48PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
kyupol
In fact, they seem to be a little too patient with Big Brother.

This is true, it seems like I'm the only one who hates that show.

And as a Brit living in Britland, when I think of British people, similar images to this comes to mind.

Yeah I don't go outside much. Too much sunlight and oxygen.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
Faliat at 3:05PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
usedbooks
Aside from that, I can't think of any real differences. But people will notice if you have an accent. They will likely think you are more sophisticated until you prove otherwise. ;)
That sounds like you think all British accents are sophisticated! Lol.

The two accents I grew up speaking certainly ain't.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Airman at 5:44AM, Dec. 2, 2009
(online)
crocty
kyupol

Jeez…

Also I have no idea what you mean by surveillance…Do you mean the government issued happiness-recorders? Or maybe the micro fun-detectors they place in our skulls?
Oh, it's beeping again…

Hey, numbnuts, “State” and “country” can be used interchangeably when speaking about international affairs. Watch the news, especially the BBC. They refer to other countries as “states” quite often.

Also, Kyupol is speaking about this: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/25/world/europe/25surveillance.html

Not that most of the “Big 5” are any better, since Britain, France, America, Russia and China all rate the lowest.
“The problem with being avant-garde is knowing who is putting on who…” Bill Watterson
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
harkovast at 7:12AM, Dec. 2, 2009
(online)
Is now a bad time to tell you I was sent by the British government to spy on you all here so we can work out who to arrest?

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:44PM
Ironscarf at 8:51AM, Dec. 2, 2009
(offline)
Harkovast
Is now a bad time to tell you I was sent by the British government to spy on you all here so we can work out who to arrest?

And we're still waiting for your findings. :mad:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
crocty at 11:19AM, Dec. 2, 2009
(offline)
Airman
crocty
kyupol

Jeez…

Oh, it's beeping again…

Hey, numbnuts, “State” and “country” can be used interchangeably when speaking about international affairs.
Really!
I had no idea. :|
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
Hakoshen at 1:47PM, Dec. 2, 2009
(offline)
harkovast

So that WAS you I saw in town the other day berating some fool for saying “cookies” and not “biscuits” and then having him thrown into an unmarked van! I had a feeling there was only one anthropomorphic cat in a suit of plate mail walking around!
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
bravo1102 at 11:05PM, Dec. 2, 2009
(offline)
For my generation when I think British I think of the Monty Python Gumby.

See everything through the prism of Python.

Any anthropomorphic Cats you see in armor are in fact disinformation put out by the MiBs.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Hakoshen at 5:25AM, Dec. 3, 2009
(offline)
bravo1102
Any anthropomorphic Cats you see in armor are in fact disinformation put out by the MiBs.

Then I… buy my whole… if that's not…. *head explodes*
-Harkovast
mlai at 6:37AM, Dec. 3, 2009
(online)
AQua_ng
And as a Brit living in Britland, when I think of British people, similar images to this comes to mind.

Wow, all them brits look alike to me. I can't tell them apart!

Original poster:
NJ is awesome. Close to Manhattan, without the NYC income tax.
And if you hate Manhattan like me (I'm native NYer), you won't need to get close to it (which is not the case if you live in NY).
And everybody hates Bush and loves Obama, even the old ppl.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Ozoneocean at 6:48AM, Dec. 3, 2009
(online)
Ever see East-Enders or Coronation Street?
JEEEEBUS! D:

Back in the 80's Australia traded some SHITE TV shows with the Brits: Prisoner: Cell Block H, Neighbours, and Home and Away. This crap was bottom of the barrel by 80's standards, really potato and two vege TV. Crap in the form of a TV show basically.

If a good show is a man is a business suit, then Neighbours etc was the equivalent of a dick in a pair of tracksuit pants with a shaved head that hangs around a petrol station at 3am in the morning sniffing glue.

And they gave us Coronation Street and EastEnders.
After seeing neighbours etc I'm sure many were turned off the very idea of Australia.

After watching Coronation Street and EastEnders, Australians started to see the British Isles in a very, very different light…

I suppose that explains most of the sorts of Aussies that DID go there after those shows and the kind of Brits that came here after Neighbours etc. It all makes a horrible sort of sense now T___T

————————–
On an interesting related note- A while ago I heard some British critics making some stupid point about Neighbours and how Australians tried to project an artificial view of themselves as bronzed, blonde haired and blue eyed…
Which was extremely funny when I learned that when they were selling the show to the U.K., BBC executives had actually demanded that there BE more blonde haired and blue eyed actors in it so it would match British expectations of what Australians were. lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
harkovast at 9:36AM, Dec. 3, 2009
(online)
ozone you realise of course that all those crappy shows you sent to Britain became massively insanely popular over here?
Not denying they were shit, but people seemed to love em!

Bravo- You can try and ignore the orange cat all you want, but in the end my giant comedy foot will still come down from the sky and squash you.

ERasER at 9:46AM, Dec. 3, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Which was extremely funny when I learned that when they were selling the show to the U.K., BBC executives had actually demanded that there BE more blonde haired and blue eyed actors in it so it would match British expectations of what Australians were. lol!
Wait a second! Are you saying australians aren't all blonde haired with blue eyes??
BackSeat Gamers
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
DAJB at 10:07AM, Dec. 3, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
After watching Coronation Street and EastEnders, Australians started to see the British Isles in a very, very different light…

I suppose that explains most of the sorts of Aussies that DID go there after those shows
Considering both those shows seemed to take place almost entirely in pubs, it may also explain why, during the whole of the 1980s, around 97% of all bar staff in the UK were either Aussies or Kiwis!

(Not now, I hasten to add. Now they're all from Poland or the Balkans!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
Faliat at 10:34AM, Dec. 3, 2009
(offline)
Bekefel
I've always enjoyed the Scottish accent, think it's kinda cool.
Problem with that is, like in England, there's loads of different Scottish accents.

The last thing you'll want if you're a lassie and say “OMG THE SCOTTISH ACCENT IS SO HAWT!” is for domebody sounding like this guy to turn up on your doorstep trying to chat you up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y5s2gfT4-o

It may be a parody, but the accent is based on reality. Trust me, I've met my fair share of folks that sound like that.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
skoolmunkee at 11:52AM, Dec. 3, 2009
(offline)
mlai
Not only that, but those young fellows are the epitome of idiot trash chavs who knock over frail cancer survivors, film it with their phones and post it on the internet. Or harrass a neighborhood family with an autistic child and set their house on fire and the mom sacrifices herself to save her son. Or assault 3-year olds then stab their dads to death when the dad tries to stop them.

Occasionally they manage to do harm to each other, but when that happens, suddenly they're a good kid with bad friends.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
Bekefel at 9:50AM, Dec. 4, 2009
(offline)
And occasionally, they hurt themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UgAARkpwLgD
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
harkovast at 10:11AM, Dec. 4, 2009
(online)
That video never stops being horrible….and hillarious!

Ozoneocean at 5:00AM, Dec. 9, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
mlai
Not only that, but those young fellows are the epitome of idiot trash chavs who knock over frail cancer survivors, film it with their phones and post it on the internet. Or harrass a neighborhood family with an autistic child and set their house on fire and the mom sacrifices herself to save her son. Or assault 3-year olds then stab their dads to death when the dad tries to stop them.

Occasionally they manage to do harm to each other, but when that happens, suddenly they're a good kid with bad friends.
Henry the V: original chav….

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon