Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Which one is the "lead singer" - the Artist or the Writer?
Ozoneocean at 4:38AM, Nov. 30, 2012
(online)
I'm so curious about this analogy!!!!

Is it the Writer or the artist that's the “lead singer”? And who fits in other roles…
In music: backing vocals, drummer, rhythm guitar, lead guitar, bass, keyboard, weird instruments…
In comics: penciler, colourists, flatters, inkers, editors, web page designers…

Personally I think it's the writer whp's normally the “lead singer”, but I could be wrong. They're definitely the one who “writes all the songs”, hahaha!
PIT_FACE at 8:32AM, Nov. 30, 2012
(online)
i wonder how many friendships you just ended on here,hahahahaha!

Byth1 at 10:17AM, Nov. 30, 2012
(online)
I have no idea XD.
-
I mean the writer writes the story and characters. But without the artist, it just be a script. And they both get pretty much the same recognition, so…I guess they both are?
Updated every friday!
Updated every monday!
Call Me Tom at 12:58PM, Nov. 30, 2012
(offline)
Wrighter Is the Singer, Aritist is the lead Gutar, Colourist is the Base and Leatter is the Drums.
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
Ozoneocean at 1:34PM, Nov. 30, 2012
(online)
Call Me Tom wrote:
Wrighter Is the Singer, Aritist is the lead Gutar, Colourist is the Base and Leatter is the Drums.
I'd have to agree with that.
PIT_FACE at 9:36PM, Nov. 30, 2012
(online)
i 3rd that.

Gunwallace at 11:47AM, Dec. 2, 2012
(offline)
Depends … in general I think the artist is the lead singer/lead guitarist, providing the colourful draw to the band (literally) and the writer is the rhythm section (bass/drums) that drives the song along. In some comics the writer is more to the fore … the Alan Moore's, Neil Gaiman's, Grant Morrison's of the comic band world are the bassist/singers drummer/singers (The Sting's and Phil Collin's if you will, maybe even the Brian Wilson's?). In some music/comics the bass and drums get lost in the wash, in other's they are the hook.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Genejoke at 12:48PM, Dec. 2, 2012
(online)
The artist is the lead singer, the writer is the genius who writes his songs.
FormerDDer at 2:37PM, Dec. 2, 2012
(offline)
Good writing would probably get you no where if the art wasn't at least palatable. Likewise, I think we've all enjoyed comics/TV shows/movies that have terrible writing but good art.
You know, like the average Hayao Miyazaki movie. Oh, stop looking at me like that; Ponyo was a plot-hole filled mess and you know it! But I still loved it. We all did. It's because of the second-only-to-Disney animation.
last edited on Dec. 2, 2012 2:38PM
Kota at 8:10PM, Dec. 2, 2012
(offline)
I'm gonna say the artist is the lead singer. The art is the front man and the public face of the comic band. The writer is, well, the writer and probably lead guitarist. Singer can't go any where without the music, can he? I have no idea how the inker/penciler dynamic would break down though. Probably like Eddy Van Halen and David Lee Roth. :)
Kota Otan
http://www.drunkduck.com/Mailbox_Rocketship/

http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Errant_Apprentice/
and
Kota's World: Broadband
-
“If Jeff Bridges is stupid enough to do this, I'M stupid enough to do this!”
Ozoneocean at 4:02AM, Dec. 4, 2012
(online)
So people who identify more as artists think it's the writer and those who identify more as a writer think it's the artist? hahaha, I can see both sides here ^_^

OK then if you're a comic bandmember, given whatever role, what style are you?
I.e. what music star's style best explains the way you are as a writer or artist?

———–

With Pit Face, some sort of Thrash Metal comes to mind obviously, but the clever, more artistic sort, if there is such a thing? :)

With me I've always identified with old style Glam Rock, T-Rex (and maybe the 80s style Glam Metal too), that sort of thing, due to my tendency towards bright colours and bombastic over the top imagery with the explosions and big machinery, women etc.
But if I was a “lead singer” artist I flatter myself massively by saying I was more a Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin days) style: Flamboyant, self indulgent, aware of many styles and influences but obsessed with my own version of them, somewhat skilled, a show-off.
Kota at 8:25AM, Dec. 4, 2012
(offline)
Since I'm the writer and the artist on my stuff I'm more of a one man band with a drum on his chest, a kazoo in his mouth and an accordian between his knees.
As for styles, my comics were inspired by certain songs and genres.
EA is a late era XTC. Apple Venus era to be exact. That and celtic folk music.
Mailbox Rocketship is some kind of punk/ska/techno hybrid thing with a little prog rock thrown in to drive people nuts. :)
Kota Otan
http://www.drunkduck.com/Mailbox_Rocketship/

http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Errant_Apprentice/
and
Kota's World: Broadband
-
“If Jeff Bridges is stupid enough to do this, I'M stupid enough to do this!”
Gunwallace at 5:06PM, Dec. 4, 2012
(offline)
Hmm, the rhythm section of Booker T. and the MGs; versitile, funky, solid, able to switch styles at a moments notice, and take any old tired tune and jazz it up a bit giving it a new lease on life. That's what I'd like my writing to be, ideally, or at least what I strive for, never, ever reaching the goal … (I play the bassline to Green Onions all the time, and some guitarist and keyboard playing friends of mine have been known to do 25-minute rambling versions of that tune with me on occassion.)
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Hawk at 12:43PM, Dec. 5, 2012
(online)
You know, there are some comics I read because of the good art, and some I read because of the story. So I think that the “lead singer” in my mind is the person who is doing the part I like most.

But then there are situations where one of the two is simply the more vocal one… for instance, maybe the writer is the one that makes the author's notes or blog posts most of the time. That's often the lead singer to me.
bravo1102 at 7:46AM, Dec. 6, 2012
(offline)
This is going to seem like a cop-out but I see the writer/artist relationship as a partnership like Simon Harrison and Starr knew they were also-rans in the partnership of Lennon and McCartney becasue that was the magic with occasional input from George and Ringo. It's the same magical parasitic relationship between writer and artist.

And think about this, the writer may produce a script but what can an artist produce anything without that script? Will a lead singer have anything to sing without the song writer? But to extend the metaphyr how the singer interprets the lyrics can vary widely so it's more than just words and that's a parasitc relationship, because one isn't much without the other and one's work needs the other to be worth anything as a whole.
Ozoneocean at 8:28AM, Dec. 6, 2012
(online)
(Heh, With Simon and Garfunkel though, Simon was always really the leader there, the brains… and Garfunkel was the main voice.)

The thing is, yeah it is a partnership thing, of course, but who do you identify with what role? The roles are different and distinctive, just like they are in comic making. One isn't necessarily greater than the other, that's not the point, but which one is most alike to its analogue in comic making?
last edited on Dec. 6, 2012 8:33AM
Tantz_Aerine at 9:09AM, Dec. 6, 2012
(online)
From my experience in our collab with Pit Face on BR I'd say for a comic to be great, there is needed a DUET. Both the writer and the artist have to be able to both support and lead, when the time is right. Otherwise you got an unbalanced outcome in the end, let alone frustration and/or friction between the writer and the artist.
Both artist and writer lead and accompany, so that the end result is harmonious.
ATBL at 7:04PM, Dec. 6, 2012
(online)
Hmm…I've never thought about that before. I'm a writer myself, but I'll say that the artist is the lead singer. The “front man” is, let's be honest, usually the more attractive out of the whole band - he/she draws (heh) the audience in with his/her aesthetics and charm. I like the idea that the writer is, well, the songwriter. Ithink that when a singer is also a songwriter, that makes the music all the more real and emotional. Same withcomics - if the illustrator is also the writer, they can producevery incredible things. Not to say thatcollaboration doesn't work wonders in most cases,but there's something about being in control of bothfacets that can bring on some powerful stuff.

Banes at 11:25AM, Dec. 8, 2012
(offline)
Interesting!

Agreed that the artist is generally the lead singer…and the writer is either the songwriter or the rhythm section.

If I had to divide bandmembers into the various functions of comics:

Songwriter/Rhythm Guitar - Writer
Lead Singer - Penciller
Lead Guitar - Colors (makes it pop; noticable…'kay, this isn't a perfect analogy…)
Bass - Letterer (almost invisible if it's good; devastating to the whole if it's bad)
Drums- Inks (ditto, but more noticable than bass to most ears)
Keyboard/Horns/etc - Shading/Hilights

I haven't collaborated on comics - I'd equate my collab with Ozone to Ike and Tina Turner.
Me belittling and abusive; Ozone jogging in place and wearing feathers.

Ozoneocean at 7:25PM, Dec. 8, 2012
(online)
It's ok, I forgive you baby!
bravo1102 at 8:08AM, Dec. 9, 2012
(offline)
The writer is the song smith. The lead singer is the artist. The lead guitar would be the colorist as the lead musician usually compliments the singer. Inker/penciller would be a vocal duet since in most comics they are really inseperable. (NO THE INKER JUST TRACES! Shut up collector from Chasing Amy)The letterer is the drummer as he sets the pace of the music. The producer would be the guy who has final okay on the page layout whether editor or whoever.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon