Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Drunk Duck RADIO PLAY 2013 signups!!!
ayesinback at 6:16PM, June 15, 2013
(online)
Hi Locoma!
Page 20 is officially yours! Thanks – and have fun. The only rule is that it's an E rated comic. Have at it :)

——

Oh Major General,
Hope your dolls like one (or more?) of the four remaining pages
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
HippieVan at 9:27PM, June 15, 2013
(online)
I have finished two whole panels of my page! :P

Who should I send it to when it's done?
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
ayesinback at 4:33AM, June 16, 2013
(online)
Nice going, Hippie Van. Email it to me at drunkduck100@yahoo.com when you're ready
Locoma at 11:45AM, June 16, 2013
(offline)
ayesinback wrote:
Hi Locoma!
Page 20 is officially yours! Thanks – and have fun. The only rule is that it's an E rated comic. Have at it :)

——

Oh Major General,
Hope your dolls like one (or more?) of the four remaining pages
awesome!
Incidentally, has someone made a design (or a description) for Gloria already? I found a design for everybody else except her, and I wanted to be somehow consistent with the rest of you.
I read someone mentioning that bill duck was a duck, but from what I could read in last year's comic he's a blond handsome guy sometimes with a really cool mustache.
HippieVan at 3:13PM, June 16, 2013
(online)
Locoma, the general concensus seems to be that we're not worrying about continuity in terms of how the characters look. The story probably makes more sense if Bill Duck is a duck, but he was described to me as “dashing” so I made mine look like Sam Cooke.

My Gloria is a generic sexy lady with red hair and a golden ball gown.
Ironscarf at 4:01AM, June 17, 2013
(offline)
My Gloria has blonde curls, but my Bill Duck has been through several incarnations - human, duck and all stages in between. Never a soul singer though - might try Otis Redding today, or maybe the Four Tops.
Froggtreecomics at 9:39AM, June 17, 2013
(offline)
Consistancy is over rated.
Kroatz at 12:34PM, June 17, 2013
(online)
There have already been two previous radioplay comics. Everyone should just redirect people to those instead of answering questions with the same answers over and over.

Right?
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
HippieVan at 2:43PM, June 17, 2013
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
My Gloria has blonde curls, but my Bill Duck has been through several incarnations - human, duck and all stages in between. Never a soul singer though - might try Otis Redding today, or maybe the Four Tops.
I would definitely like to see Bill Duck as the Four Tops.

@Kroatz: Do you mean in terms of character appearance? The problem with that is that there were no descriptions given to people who did the previous comics either, at least as far as I know. So there are all kinds of interpretations.

I think for the next radio play we should have a slightly adapted version for the comic form with some stage directions and character descriptions. But whether that happens is up to whoever writes the script, of course.
Ironscarf at 5:01PM, June 17, 2013
(offline)
I tend to agree with Hippie Van on this. I've always believed that tightly defined parameters lead to the greatest creativity. As a person who knows once told me, if you don't have a character with well defined traits and appearance, then you don't have a character.

Besides which, I can't seem to squeeze the Four Tops into one small half-panel.
last edited on June 17, 2013 5:02PM
gene hole at 11:45AM, June 19, 2013
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:
I think for the next radio play we should have a slightly adapted version for the comic form with some stage directions and character descriptions.
Ironscarfwrote:
I tend to agree with Hippie Van on this. I've always believed that tightly defined parameters lead to the greatest creativity.
on the other hand, I find one of the most interesting and entertaining aspects of the DD Radio play comic each year to be the surprising and varied directions each artist chooses to take their portion of the script, not just visually, but also in how they depict the characters and their personalities, as well as the stage directions. It reminds me favorably of a exercise that is often used in acting, particularly in improv settings, called “Contentless Scene,” where the performers are given a fairly generic exchange to memorize, and are given the challenge to develop a unique scenario through the use of varied stage actions and inflections in their line delivery.
an example dialogue:
A: Hi!
B: Hello.
A: Hows everything?
B: Fine. I guess.
A: Do you know what time it is?
B: No. Not exactly.
A: Dont you have a watch?
B: Not on me.
A: Well?
B: Well what?
A: What did you do last night?
B: What do you mean?
A: What did you do last night?
B: Nothing.
A: Nothing?
B: I said, nothing!
A: Im sorry I asked.
B: Thats all right.
I have seen this scene performed as if by two burglars outside a mansion, a married couple eating dinner whose relationship is on the rocks, a parent to a teenager, two spacemen on the moon, and many more, . the differences in the way the actors read and performed this Contentless Scene was the main source of the entertainment, as that is the area where their creativity was being engaged. I kind of like that about this project as well- not that the scripts haven't been creative and inspiring, quite the contrary, but i think having a bit of creative liberty in this instance has the pleasing effect of challenging the artist to
1. make his chunk of the story unique and
2. still fit the overall story arc.
those are the only two rules I think we need for this particular project. (plus the keep it rated E, of course)
Imitation is the sincerest form of mimicry.
last edited on June 19, 2013 11:50AM
Kroatz at 1:58PM, June 19, 2013
(online)
gene hole wrote:
…Some stuff…
Youre a wise man, Mr. Hole. A wise, wise man.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
HippieVan at 3:04PM, June 19, 2013
(online)
I don't think your comparison is spot-on, gene hole. The difference is that they did not have subsequent scenes using different actors and different interpretations but which made up a larger narrative and then would be shown to an audience who was meant to understand the story as a whole. Can you imagine how that would turn out? The spacemen would turn into an old married couple, then two burglars, and so on. The audience would have no idea what was going on. If, on the other hand, each character was identifiable throughout the different interpretations despite other differences, the story would work just fine.
gene hole at 5:12PM, June 19, 2013
(online)
Hippie Van wrote:
I don't think your comparison is spot-on, gene hole. The difference is that they did not have subsequent scenes using different actors and different interpretations but which made up a larger narrative and then would be shown to an audience who was meant to understand the story as a whole. Can you imagine how that would turn out? The spacemen would turn into an old married couple, then two burglars, and so on. The audience would have no idea what was going on. If, on the other hand, each character was identifiable throughout the different interpretations despite other differences, the story would work just fine.
i can easily imagine how it would turn out, having seen 2 previous years' comics as an example. Present in those previous iterations we can see a great diversity of interpretations of the characters I see it as simply a fun challenge and a special way to get artists and writers to have fun working together, to be enjoyed and appreciated for what it is.
Imitation is the sincerest form of mimicry.
ayesinback at 6:03PM, June 19, 2013
(online)
@Hippie Van and Ironscarf: I really appreciate all the artists who give their time and talent to this project, but I need to say your efforts might be even more outstanding given that the protocol (for lack of a better word) rubs a little against the grain. Everyone is a great sport on this project, but you two probably lead the way given that you have different preferences. Well, maybe your second in the parade …

Maybe. Ordinarily the Major General leads the parade. But he seems to be MIA

—just who WAS the one who busted the site for 24 hours, anyway?
Ironscarf at 6:35PM, June 19, 2013
(offline)
Hippie Van wrote:

I agree with Hippies Van's sage like wisdom: improv excercises have their place, but that place is not in front of an audience. If I go to see The Scottish Play for instance, I want to see the same Scottish fellow in every scene, not a different selection of Scotsmen and women - call me old fashioned if you will.

Thanks ayes: the only difficult part was trying to squeeze in the Four Tops - I had to settle for a lone Levi Stubbs in the end.
last edited on June 19, 2013 6:37PM
Ozoneocean at 7:48PM, June 19, 2013
(online)
Continuity of appearance is overrated. :D
bravo1102 at 10:46PM, June 19, 2013
(offline)
ayesinback wrote:

Maybe. Ordinarily the Major General leads the parade. But he seems to be MIA

—just who WAS the one who busted the site for 24 hours, anyway?
Another instance of the Bravo Bug! Bru-hahahahahahaha!

Actually my promotion has gone to my head and I'm taking it easy hoping and praying that four more people come forward so I don't have to do any pages this year.
ayesinback at 8:27AM, June 20, 2013
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
… hoping and praying that four more people come forward so I don't have to do any pages this year.

First the death of James Gandolfini – and now this betrayal from a fellow Jerseyan.

Other than requesting a news item, I have pretty much exhausted my sources – Even submitting an FYC page in the Awards Comic without garnering a single nibble. That's where we are, Captain (you've been demoted).
Ozoneocean at 9:48AM, June 20, 2013
(online)
Hook me up with another page.
I can be a hero :)
Ironscarf at 3:12PM, June 20, 2013
(offline)
Never in the field of humourous comicscript was so much owed by so many to so few.
HippieVan at 5:35PM, June 20, 2013
(online)
How many pages still need to be claimed?
ayesinback at 9:52PM, June 20, 2013
(online)
ozoneocean is doing another page so that leaves pages 17, 18 and 21 up for grabs.
bravo1102 at 9:55PM, June 20, 2013
(offline)
ayesinback wrote:
First the death of James Gandolfini – and now this betrayal from a fellow Jerseyan.
Other than requesting a news item, I have pretty much exhausted my sources – Even submitting an FYC page in the Awards Comic without garnering a single nibble. That's where we are, Captain (you've been demoted).

Thank you, I hate gold braid. Fellow soldiers let us celebrate!

Look at that I sacrifice my promotion and two people come forward to do extra pages!
last edited on June 20, 2013 9:58PM
bravo1102 at 12:31AM, June 21, 2013
(offline)
And for the record as of this second I claim pages 17 and 18 as my own.
Ironscarf at 4:07AM, June 21, 2013
(offline)
Bravo sir, bravo!

last edited on June 21, 2013 4:10AM
Niccea at 5:28AM, June 21, 2013
(offline)
21 still up?
ayesinback at 6:45AM, June 21, 2013
(online)
Precisely, Private Ironscarf: the Captain took two pages, and Niccea is a college graduate, brilliant at math, who realizes there is still one page, page 21 to be specific, yet unclaimed.

First to claim it gets an award!! And the award is page 21. #keepsthingstidy

btw: the goal is to start uploading pages this Sunday (one per day, although I might need some guidance in doing that “upload while you're away” feature).

The thing is: we have some well-intentioned artists (I'm included) who don't know if they're going to make that date. We'll hope for the best.
last edited on June 21, 2013 6:58AM
Niccea at 5:51PM, June 21, 2013
(offline)
I want it? (21)
ayesinback at 7:05PM, June 21, 2013
(online)
Niccea wrote:
I want it? (21)
And Niccea claims the last page available. Woot! We have a complete comic — in the works.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon