Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What are you watching right now?
Ozoneocean at 6:19PM, Oct. 10, 2018
(online)
I watched The Magnificent 7 last night!
I'd never actually seen it before. Being an older film means it's slower than we're used to now, the acting is often more hammy too, apart from the stars Coburn, Brynner, Bronson and McQueen. They were excellent.
The music was heavily Copland inspired and over done, playing way too obnoxiously over some moments, like a musical. I love musicals but this was NOT a musical.
It's an OK film. I could not see why it gets its reputation apart from having so many A-list stars. The plot is ropey but there are some goo politically and socially progressive messages in the story. The traditional native dances of the villagers was interesting to see.

BustyLaroo wrote:
Star Trek TNG. :D Never got to see much of it growing up, so the husband and I are doing a netflix binge!

Enjoy! Loved that series!

moizmad wrote:
ANNIHILATION

Sounds pretty cool actually.
Tantz_Aerine at 9:06AM, Oct. 12, 2018
(online)
Currently watching “The Guest” which is a korean drama series, a crime thriller with demonic possessions, exorcisms and serial killings. Just right for Halloween! Very atmospheric, very suspenseful and quite frightening without relying on gore (though there is that too) Highly recommend! Can be found with english subs (obviously, I don't speak Korean).

Here's a teaser trailer. The Guest Teaser
moizmad at 4:00PM, Oct. 12, 2018
(online)
SALMON FISHING IN THE YEMEN - Emily Blunt, Ewan McGregor, Amr Waked, Tom Mison, Mary Jones, Kristen Scott Thomas. Super rich Sheik wants to fish salmon in The Yemen no matter the cost. He hires Emily and Ewan to organize his plan even though most think it's ridiculous. Aside from that, Emily and Ewan start to fall in love, altho both have others to consider, and some enemies of the Sheik also try to thwart the scheme. Will it work, watch and see. Gets an Emily inspired 3 1/2 on the Moizmeter.

SEVEN IN HEAVEN - Travis Tope, Haley Ramm, Gary Cole, Jake Manley. Something about a mysterious closet that alters reality so much that I couldn't care less what happened. A generous 1/2 on the Moizmeter.
Ozoneocean at 3:49AM, Oct. 14, 2018
(online)
No lions or witches in it? :D

——–

I rewatched both Mannequin and Bachelor Party for the first time since the 1980s.

Mannequin was a fun, moronic fantasy, very queer-positive for the 1980s. Lots of classic 80s fashion and pop.

Bachelor Party didn't hold up at all, Tom Hanks was fantastic though. He really elevated a stupid sex-comedy to a place it never deserved to be.
Froggtreecomics at 5:16AM, Oct. 14, 2018
(offline)
I am watching Star Trek Voyager. I've never really gotten into Star Trek before but it's bloody marvellous! Also, I can see where Steven Moffat has ROBBED loads of his “Matt Smith- Doctor Who” stories from ! Moo Hoo Hahaha.
bravo1102 at 5:54AM, Oct. 14, 2018
(offline)
Speaking of Star Trek, I watched all the episodes of Star Trek: Discovery. The idiot just had to ruin the best and most developed alien race that Star Trek had. Go from noble Mongols in space to a mish-mosh of H.R. Geiger and Babylon 5. At least put the freaking hair back on them. They deserve that much to preserve their honor.

They really straddled Star Trek: Enterprise and The Original Series given the underrated series ST: Enterprise its just due. It was also among the best depictions of the mirror universe yet. After the first few episodes it really begins to work. But I really wish they'd resist the urge to re-design just for the joy of re-design. The Mirror universe episode of ST: Enterprise showed how the Original series designs could work within a modern budgeted series. It's a specific retro-aesthetic that might just evolve at some future date as opposed to the dark, gritty technical stuff designers keep putting out there today.

It's really a lot better than I thought it would be and had some honest surprises. And I love Michelle Yeoh and Jayne Brook.
last edited on Oct. 14, 2018 6:00AM
moizmad at 2:07PM, Oct. 14, 2018
(online)
22 JULY - Anders Danielsen Lie, Jonas Strand Gravli, Jon Oigarden, Seda Witt, Thorbjorn Harr, Maria Bock. Based on true event, July 22, 2011 re murder of 77 people and over 200 injured by a racist nutbar in Norway. Chilling performance by Lie as the murderer. Covers the horrifying killing spree, the arrest, the trial and one family's recovery. I was surprised that movie is in English even tho completely done with Norwegian actors. Scary to think that by Norwegian law, murderer only has to do 21 years, so 6 down and he could be released in 15 more. If there is a case for execution, (extermination is a better word here) this is it. Very good watch getting a 4 on the Moizmeter.
Genejoke at 3:07PM, Oct. 14, 2018
(online)
I really liked ST:D but agree the Klingons were a redesign too far. Not just cosmetic but making them more space Muslims was a bit on the nose.

Currently watching the haunting of hill house, very good ghost story. Just about to watch the final episode.
moizmad at 2:48PM, Oct. 15, 2018
(online)
INFERNO - Tom Hanks, Felicity Jones, Omar Sy, Irrfan Khan, Sidse Babett Knudsen, Ben Foster. Tom & Felicity race across Europe looking for clues (in famous artworks) re horrible virus that will wipe out….hopefully movies like this. Kind of like The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons except even worse. A 1/2 on the Moizmeter.
moizmad at 2:59PM, Oct. 16, 2018
(online)
RED SPARROW - Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton, Matthias Schoenaerts, Charlotte Rampling, Mary-Louise Parker, Ciaran Hinds, Jeremy Irons, Joely Richardson, Thekla Reuten. Needing money, ex-Bolshoi ballerina JLaw's rich uncle? has her trained to be a hooker and lock-picker?? I couldn't figure out if she is sent after CIA man Joel or if he is sent after her? In fact, I couldn't figure out most of this complex cold-war yarn, who is who, what is what, etc. There's a mole somewhere in Russia's braintrust and JLaw must find out who it is in return for a bunch of money, I think. A very confusing 2 on the Moizmeter.
moizmad at 6:21PM, Oct. 21, 2018
(online)
TERMINAL - Margot Robbie, Simon Pegg, Mike Myers. Lasted 35 minutes before getting the kybosh, too stupid for words. Producers must have got a bundle from tobacco co.'s for all the smoking (far as I went anyway). A golden goose-egg on the Moizmeter.

in desperation I settled for:

LAKE PLACID - Bill Pullman, Bridget Fonda, Oliver Platt, Brendan Gleeson, Betty White. From 1999, seems a gigantic croc is eating up folks in Maine lake, Bridget is called in to identify a tooth and Bill, Brendan & Oliver are there to help catch the monster. Betty feeds it cows. I was pulling for the croc, who scored a 1 on the Moizmeter.
moizmad at 6:10PM, Oct. 24, 2018
(online)
I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER - Max Records, Christopher Lloyd, Laura Fraser, Christina Baldwin, Dee Noah. Max is weird and watches his even weirder neighbour Lloyd kill people. Max's family run the morgue so business is booming. Little or no police involvement either! Max seems to lean towards following Lloyd's example until the old boy comes to a sticky end on the morgue table and what a mess he makes. A 2 on the Moizmeter.
moizmad at 2:44PM, Oct. 26, 2018
(online)
THE CURED - Ellen Page, Sam Keeley, Tom Vaughan-Lawlor, Stuart Graham, Hilda Fay, Paula Malcomson. A horrible virus turns folks into flesh-eating zombies in Northern Ireland, but a cure has saved most except for 25% who are resistent? Sam is cured and lives with his sister-in-law Ellen (hey, it's Treena Lahey!) but troubles arise when some of the cured realize the government is going to kill them anyway. At least I think that is the story but with the Irish accents and mumbling I couldna understand some of the dialogue. Then Ellen's young son gets bitten? and Sam takes him to the hills? and I have no idea what happened as film suddenly ends with Ellen looking at something on the TV set???? A very confusing 1 1/2 on the Moizmeter.
moizmad at 2:18PM, Nov. 3, 2018
(online)
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO - Rooney Mara, Daniel Craig, Stellan Skarsgard, Christopher Plummer, Robin Wright, Steven Burkoff, Joely Richardson, Geraldine James. Watched it again, first time so confusing with all those characters present and past. Super performance by Rooney, why no Oscar? Stellan was scary. Finally realized why my first viewing was so confusing, I thought Geraldine and Joely were the same person! Now it makes sense. They look so much alike, couldn't figure out what Harriet was doing in Sweden when she was supposed to be hiding out in England. Oh well, a very good watch, getting a 4 on the Moizmeter.
moizmad at 6:39PM, Nov. 5, 2018
(online)
First here's a couple of stinkers to avoid:
BENT - Karl Urban, Andy Garcia…. 0 on the Moizmeter.

JASON BOURNE - Matt Damon, Julia Stiles, Alicia Vikander, Tommie Lee Jones, Vincent Cassell. Maybe some like this but not this woman, got the kybosh after about 40 minutes of too stupid for words.

THE PURGE: ELECTION YEAR - Elizabeth Mitchell, Frank Grillo, Mykelti Williamson, Joseph Julian Soria, Betty Gabriel, Terry Serpico, Kyle Secor.
Elizabeth is running for President against bad guy Kyle. She's against the purge and Frank must protect her on purge night, cuz the bad guys are-a- comin'. Who will win? Actually the purge isn't a bad idea, as they say “crime is good for business”! Keeps a lot of people working, and it gets a generous 2 on the Moizmeter.
mks_monsters at 9:28AM, Nov. 6, 2018
(offline)
Right now, the Flash on Netflix. I really like this superhero series. It's not as dark as the others and a much more original take on the Flash storyline.
Genejoke at 6:09PM, Nov. 8, 2018
(online)
mks_monsters wrote:
Right now, the Flash on Netflix. I really like this superhero series. It's not as dark as the others and a much more original take on the Flash storyline.

I gave up on the flash ages ago, way too cheesy for my liking. Same withbkack lightning later seasons of arrow. Still the main actor does a good job as the flash and Barry Allen. Far better than the movie version.

I've just binged watched all four seasons on the killing. That was good stuff.
A_H_Amin at 2:04AM, Nov. 9, 2018
(offline)
Ali's Wedding. I had no idea that this Australian made true story romantic comedy would be THAT good. This is a definitely a feel good comedy that I recommend for everyone.

P.S. stick for the post credit to see the actual people in real life.
moizmad at 2:18PM, Nov. 10, 2018
(online)
FUTURE WORLD - James Franco, Suki Waterhouse, Milla Jovovich, Jeffrey Wahlberg, Snoop Dog. An outright theft of Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome with the crazy bikers buzzing across the wasteland, Franco taking Vernon Wells part, Milla got Tina Turner's Aunty Entity and Suki as Savannah Nix, except the fight in the Thunderdome was changed to an empty swimming pool and not Barter Town but Love? Town. A 1 1/2 on the Moizmeter.
moizmad at 7:09PM, Nov. 12, 2018
(online)
DISOBEDIENCE - Rachel Weisz, Rachel McAdams, Alessandro Nivola, Allan Corduner. Orthodox Jewish community in London sees the return of ousted Weisz from NYC as her father has died. Her brother Alessandro is married to McAdams, who was Weisz' lesbian lover some years before. The 2 women quickly pick up the sizzling affair which soon gets noticed. McAdams asks Alessandro for her freedom and will he comply? Lots of Jewish rules and regulations, men always with the beanies or black broad rimmed hats and facial hair but I didn't know the women always wear plain jane wigs in public. Hot sex scenes with the 2 Rachels gets it a 3 3/4 on the Moizmeter.
moizmad at 7:51PM, Nov. 13, 2018
(online)
SWEET VIRGINIA - Jon Bernthal, Christopher Abbott, Imogene Poots, Rosemarie DeWitt. 3 sudden murders in smalltown Alaska (actually Hope, BC not even close to Alaska) by sadistic hit-man Abbott, hired by wife Poots in hopes of collecting lots of insurance $$$. Turns out hubby had no insurance and was deeply in debt. Doesn't go over well with hit-man. Many scenes I couldn't understand, like this woman who had lots of $$$ in her wall safe, no idea what that was from and I think Poots told hit-man about it but not sure, but leads to violent show-down. A 1 1/2 on the Moizmeter.
moizmad at 8:31PM, Nov. 15, 2018
(online)
COLLATERAL BEAUTY - Will Smith, Kate Winslet, Helen Mirren, Michael Pena, Keira Knightly, Ed Norton, Naomi Harris, Jacob Latimore. Will falls into depression after the death of his young daughter. His business partners think up a strange idea to bring him back to reality. They hire 3 actors to physically become these fantasy objects Will has written letters to and a private detective videos their meetings. Will also reluctantly attends a support group for others who have lost children. Will any of it work? and a surprise ending to boot. Good watch getting a 3 3/4 on the Moizmeter.
moizmad at 1:26PM, Nov. 17, 2018
(online)
AMERICAN ULTRA - Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart, Topher Grace, Connie Britton, John Leguizamo, Bill Pullman. Stoner Jesse doesn't know he's a CIA experiment with lethal abilities. Kristen is his gf and she has a secret too. Bad guy Topher wants to terminate Jesse but that won't be easy, with battles galore. A 2 on the Moizmeter.
fallopiancrusader at 5:49PM, Nov. 19, 2018
(offline)
“What she said” A documentary about Pauline Kael, one of the most notorious film critics of her generation. A very well made movie using contemporary footage and interviews with film directors who were influenced (or pissed off) by her writings in New Yorker magazine
moizmad at 2:10PM, Nov. 20, 2018
(online)
KINGS - Halle Berry, Daniel Craig. ????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
??????????????? only Ms. Berry's beauty kept me watching and saved it from a Golden Goose-Egg, a 1/2 on the Moizmeter.

Another couple to avoid at all costs: BRAVEN & BODY OF DECEIT both getting Golden Goose-Eggs on the Moizmeter.
Ozoneocean at 11:55PM, Nov. 21, 2018
(online)
My god you guys are a good resource :D
We should get a weekly recording from moizmad for the Quackcast! ^_^

————–

While I'm convalescing I decided to try some new anime to pass the time…
Some caught my eye because they were all similar in theme:
They're all based on the idea of people in a historical fantasy setting, either they were transported there or they were born there.

The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar
Goblin Slayer
Ulysses: Jehanne Darc to Renkin no Kishi
That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime

The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar
This one is STUPID!!!!!!! Bad storytelling for a start. It drops you right into the middle of things with no setup. Sometimes that's ok but here it feels like you missed out on 13 previous episodes and you're watching the crappy sequel.
It's the WORST kind of harem anime: Girls look way too young and cute and they all call the guy “father” or “big brother”. VOMIT!
The story is that this boy got sent back in time to some fictional mix of Scythia or Eutruscan Greece or the land of the Vandals or whatever, but he has a solar powered smartphone so he can set himself up as a great general based on his knowledge. But it's a way stupider show that it sounds.
During alliances with other clans their leaders swear fealty by becoming “family”, hence the creepy father daughter, brother, sister crap.

Ulysses: Jehanne Darc to Renkin no Kishi
A boy in France during the hundred years war wants to defend the country and protect all the pretty girls… so he makes a deal with a fairy to master the philosophers stone and become the new “Ulysses” like Jesus, Alexander the Great, Charlemagne and all he other guys in the past…
This one is the typical BIZAREEEEEE mashup of European history that Japanese love to do. This isn't cool, the ignorance here borders on racism, it really does.
If you can ignore the dogshit they make of the premise and setting it comes off as a brutal, but forgettable fantasy.

That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime
A 37 year old Japanese sallaryman gets stabbed to death in the street while protecting his best friend and his GF. He gets reincarnated in a fantasy world as a lowly slime monster trapped in a cave. He finds a dragon and makes friends and learns to get new powers. Eventually he breaks out and becomes friends with some goblins and makes their lives better.
This one was original and great! Highly recommended!

Goblin Slayer
This one starts out with a nooby girl priestess joining the adventurer guild and joining a party of fellow noobs to go and hunt puny goblins…
Who are NOT so punny it turns out. This one is EFFING brutal and punches you in the guts. I seriously considered never watching this again after the first episode and I warn anyone before attempting it. Yes, that's right, a TRIGGER warning. Because it's that bad. I will give a spoiler bellow.
I gave this on a big rest before I could steel myself to watch more because even though it was FAR more brutal than I can normally tolerate, the premise was very unique and that's so rare in anime.
It's about a high level knight who only hunts goblins, who're meant to be the lowest monsters. He pathologically hates them, for good reason. SO he's the best of the best and has all sorts of tricks and strategies… everyone else despises him for his weird obsession but he doesn't care because he's obsessed.

—Spoiler–
The show starts with a plucky group of young adventurers going into a care to hunt goblins, one young guy and two girls, plus the young priestess. Things seem to go ok, but then the goblins ambush them and brutally slaughter most of the party, capturing and sexually assaulting one of the girls.
It is absolutely horrible.
This weird knight comes along and saves the priestess and together they manage to turn the tide on the goblins… They rescue that poor woman and slaughter all the goblins including the frightened young babies.

Watch at your own risk.
moizmad at 1:10PM, Dec. 4, 2018
(online)
Finally finished The Haunting Of Hill House series, wasn't the House but the whole family was crackers, best I can do is a 2 on the Moizmeter.

10X10 - Luke Evans, Kelly Reilly. Luke abducts Kelly in public parking lot? Wow, many things could have gone wrong there. Puts her in soundproof 10 X 10 room, why you ask? He has his reason and she knows what it is. We slowly start to see why. Luke is so good-looking, how could Kelly be afraid of him? No winners here but maybe he'll get off lightly? A 3 on the Luke-O-Meter.
moizmad at 1:45PM, Dec. 7, 2018
(online)
SPINNING MAN - Guy Pearce, Pierce Brosnan, Minnie Driver. Professor Guy seems to charm young female students even tho he is happily married to Minnie (with 2 kids too). Then 1 young girl goes missing and some evidence seems to point to Guy's car, and steadfast detective Brosnan pecks away at his prime suspect. Things finally unwrap when girl's body is found. Ending a bit confusing for me, can't figure out what those matches were about. Kept me interested thru-out and a 3 on the Moizmeter.
moizmad at 6:17PM, Dec. 8, 2018
(online)
CREEP 2 - Mark Duplass, Desiree Akhaven, Karan Soni. Desiree bombs making boring videos on line but gets an intriguing contact from Mark who claims to be a serial killer. Of course she can't resist but doesn't remotely believe this guy. She travels to his fancy house in the woods and he tells her his story, even shows her a video of a recent kill. Finally he explains his fantastic idea for his finale where he gets killed. Or maybe he kills her instead? Is the final scene the ending or beginning? Many different opinions on line. A 3 3/4 on the Moizmeter. (btw, in movies the bad guy gets hit once and it's assumed he's dead, but I'd never stop hitting him until his brains looked like ground beef all over the floor and I'd still hit him a few more times for good measure, then I'd run away)
moizmad at 1:16PM, Dec. 20, 2018
(online)
Have I seen some bad ones lately, so bad they got the kybosh. But last nite:

WOLVES AT THE DOOR - Katie Cassidy, Elizabeth Henstridge, Adam Campbell, Miles Fisher. Another take on the Manson family murders of Sharon Tate in ‘69. Sharon, Abigail, Jay & Woyjack? plus a stereo salesman. Only see the 3 killers in distant shadows, a 4th was just a look-out. We all know what happened. The 3 plus another one from the next night plus leader Manson should have all been exterminated 48 years ago, 2 are dead now but 3 still live. Hard to believe the human piece of shit Tex hasn’t been “done” in prison but I still have hope. A 2 1/2 on the Moizmeter.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon