Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What are you watching right now?
BearinOz at 3:46AM, May 31, 2019
(online)
Not watching but listening, to “Dot”
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08qlrk5

This is THE heir to Blackadder, but with women and set in the war office in London in WW2.
It's great, very funny and highly recommended… by me ….better than that sad attempt at a Blackadder thing about Shakespere with David Mitchell.
Thanx for the reco' - I'll check it out ! …never watched the Mitchell thing. I like him in quiz stuff, not sit-coms his missus too ! B-)
moizmad at 6:46AM, June 3, 2019
(online)
DARKEST HOUR - Gary Oldman, Kristin Scott Thomas, Lily James, Ben Mendelsohn, Stephen Dillane. Gary got the Oscar for his portrayal of Churchill during the 1940 Nazi invasion of Europe. Winnie goes against the flow and resists talking peace with Hitler and helps organize a battle plan which eventually turns the tide. Well deserved award for Gary and a 3 1/2 on the Moizmeter.
moizmad at 12:25PM, June 9, 2019
(online)
I AM MOTHER - Clara Rugaard, Hilary Swank, (voice of) Rose Byrne. If anyone knows what happened here let me know as I still don't even after reading an explanation thereof. I give it a big ??????????????? on the Moizmeter.
damehelsing at 1:13PM, June 16, 2019
(offline)
I honestly only really religiously watch Supernatural and I got into Castlevania but only one season has come out so far. Also You is actually good too, which I was incredibly surprised about.

But I listen/watch Critical Role which is basically a Dungeons and Dragons podcast with a bunch of nerdy voice actors.
So if you guys wanna watch Illidan and Jaina Proudmoore play D&D together, then Critical Role is for you! ^^
moizmad at 7:26PM, June 16, 2019
(online)
MURDER MYSTERY - Jennifer Aniston, Adam Sandler, Luke Evans, Terence Stamp. Beat cop Adam and wife Jen get invited aboard luxury yacht by Luke. Other weird guests and guess what, murder most foul. Then more murders and the game's afoot. Others liked this more than me but I guess it was amusing. A 2 on the Moizmeter.
moizmad at 12:05PM, June 21, 2019
(online)
BETWEEN WORLDS - Nicholas Cage….gets my Oscar for worst movie ever, I should get Oscar for toughing it out. A Sub-Minus Zero on the Moizmeter.
bravo1102 at 3:07AM, June 25, 2019
(offline)
So have to track down the series that ozoneocean has been mentioning.
Space Battleship Yamato: 2202, Warriors of Love

That subtitle should have been a warning. Remember the great anime emotionless battlerace, set on destroying humanity because of weakness of emotion who discover it and conflict and lots of tears and heart felt angst follows storyline?

That is what SBY:2202 degenerates into. I saw the first half of the series in Japanese so it's tolerable. It's not to schmaltzy. But the Funimation dubbing with all those emoting voice actors, no two of whom pronounced “Yamato ” the same, just drove me up the wall.
The main characters are married now and the woman gets kidnapped once and wounded threetimes in the series! She leaves the ship, guaranteed shell get wounded and Kodai will be angsty at her bedside.
And they introduce another angsty character who saves his dying kid by betrayal and there's the cloned wife of the Gatlantean leader whose original death spiraled him off into this whole “humanity must perish ” thing and activate the stupor destructo device and…
Cliche after cliche just gets piled up and they actually come up with a plot device so there are endless fleets to get blown up again and again.
The ship designs are great, the characters are actually pretty good once you get past the speeches about humanity and love they all spout so model builders and cosplay fans will have lots to do – but – at 26 episodes you feel they should have dropped few of the supporting storylines because it gets confusing.
And like “stop making speeches about love and just end it already!”

I'm a huge fan but the updated character motivations didn't work with the second series.
IronHorseComics at 5:34PM, June 25, 2019
(online)
I don't have anything on my queue atm, but I need to find something, just nothing really tickles my fancy right now. Suppose I can go back and watch Transformers Prime again…
You can read Fluffy 500 right here! https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Fluffy_500/
Ozoneocean at 9:34PM, June 25, 2019
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
So have to track down the series that ozoneocean has been mentioning.
Space Battleship Yamato: 2202, Warriors of Love

That subtitle should have been a warning. Remember the great anime emotionless battlerace, set on destroying humanity because of weakness of emotion who discover it and conflict and lots of tears and heart felt angst follows storyline?

That is what SBY:2202 degenerates into. I saw the first half of the series in Japanese so it's tolerable. It's not to schmaltzy. But the Funimation dubbing with all those emoting voice actors, no two of whom pronounced “Yamato ” the same, just drove me up the wall.
The main characters are married now and the woman gets kidnapped once and wounded threetimes in the series! She leaves the ship, guaranteed shell get wounded and Kodai will be angsty at her bedside.
And they introduce another angsty character who saves his dying kid by betrayal and there's the cloned wife of the Gatlantean leader whose original death spiraled him off into this whole “humanity must perish ” thing and activate the stupor destructo device and…
Cliche after cliche just gets piled up and they actually come up with a plot device so there are endless fleets to get blown up again and again.
The ship designs are great, the characters are actually pretty good once you get past the speeches about humanity and love they all spout so model builders and cosplay fans will have lots to do – but – at 26 episodes you feel they should have dropped few of the supporting storylines because it gets confusing.
And like “stop making speeches about love and just end it already!”

I'm a huge fan but the updated character motivations didn't work with the second series.
Yup
Really, it could have done totally without that series. Just keep the first one. It's really, really badly written because there's way too much in it and it's all over the place.

The stupid thing is that those multiple plots would work FINE in the older show because that was in the traditional format where things happen in an episode and are all resolved at the end. so you can have like 26 different amazing plots happening…
But in the modern style where things always carry on and bleed into other episodes like a soap opera or a novel it gets massively overloading and confusing if you keep introducing new plots. They overlay one over the other, layering on and on.
bravo1102 at 2:12AM, June 26, 2019
(offline)
They were stuck. They didn't want to, but it was expected that they do the second series. Hopefully they'll do a retcon “in between” movie like they did with the first series. Like to see more about Yamato's sister ship. Maybe a spin off eechi series with its nearly all girl crew.

After that I heeded something to ground me to get past all the speeches. So I saw the US edit of Revenge of the Cybermen classic Tom Baker Dr. Who.

I was struck by how the prosthetic make up was better than those annoying nose ridges of Star Trek. And there were no beams and explosions all over in the fights.

And good old “all hair and teeth” Tom Baker.

And that's an awfully sheer top Sarah Jane is wearing and no bra straps … couldn't be… bras just weren't that seamless in the 1970s. Liz Sladden, you daring young thing. 🤣🤣
BearinOz at 3:20AM, June 30, 2019
(online)
Watchmen again. 10 years on - Jeeeez where did all that time go.
Originally, my son took me to see it for my birthday, to one of those ‘up-market’ gold star places, with bigger comfortable seats and waiter service for a few beers and a feed.
It's still the best of its genre for us, with wonderfully faulty characters. The fact that it has a proper plot and kept to the original graphic novel are pluses.
It gets the same 4 Goldilocks I'd given it in 2009, coming out into the sunlight….
Edit 06/07 : I forgot to mention how good the soundtrack music (chosen by Darrell Hall) is too on this !

last edited on July 6, 2019 12:15AM
moizmad at 1:07PM, July 3, 2019
(online)
MARY SHELLEY - Elle Fanning, Douglas Booth, Bel Powley, Stephen Dillane, Tom Sturridge. The woman (Elle) who wrote Frankenstein: The Modern Prometheus after a challenge by Lord Byron (Sturridge) to write a ghost story in 1816, she was only 19 yrs old but wasn't published until 1818, with the help of her goofy husband Poet Percy Shelley. Movie has little to do with her famous book (the Boris Karloff movie version had even less) instead the complicated life of Mary, Percy, sister-in-law Bel and her father Dillane. A good watch getting a 3 1/2 on the Moizmeter.
Genejoke at 1:42PM, July 5, 2019
(online)
Stranger things season 3

It's more stranger things, which, if you like the series as I do, is no bad thing.
bravo1102 at 12:53AM, July 8, 2019
(offline)
The Philadelphia Story(1940) Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Ruth Hussey. They really don't make them like this anymore. A delightfully witty script, great characterization by talented cast and George Cukor directing? For me it was laugh out loud funny with the sharp repartee of the dialogue. You have to realize this is what everyone else has been imitating all these years. See the original.
Abt_Nihil at 5:29AM, July 9, 2019
(offline)
The Tick Season 2
I'd found the first season surprisingly good, but somewhat uneven and occasionally tedious. But the second season is really great. Hilarious and engaging all the way through. The perfect superhero spoof! Compared to many other high-profile shows nowadays it looks a bit cheap, but there's plenty reason to look beyond that.
last edited on July 9, 2019 5:30AM
moizmad at 1:07PM, July 12, 2019
(online)
Finished Stranger Things, not impressed and won't watch 4 if there is one. A 1 1/2 on the StrangerMeter.
BearinOz at 10:26PM, July 12, 2019
(online)
moizmad wrote:
Finished Stranger Things, not impressed and won't watch 4 if there is one. A 1 1/2 on the StrangerMeter.
Er….thanx for that, I was just about to start ! B-)
moizmad at 1:50PM, July 13, 2019
(online)
But can't wait couple of years when Millie Bobby is legal, she is going to be drop dead gorgeous!
ShaRose49 at 3:47PM, July 13, 2019
(offline)
My Hero Academia, X-Men Evolution, Batman Beyond.

That’s all I’ve been getting to lately, and sometimes when my family watches Blue Bloods I join them, usually after the episode has already started.
bravo1102 at 4:09AM, July 14, 2019
(offline)
The Comedy of Terrors(1963) Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff and Basil Rathbone. So slyly funny, ironic and with slapstick. Besides where else can you see all these greats in one movie?

Pencilz at 11:40AM, July 15, 2019
(offline)
Started Tales from the Darkside, since I love old sci-fi/horror stuff like the Twilight Zone and X-Files.

I also want to get around to watching more 90s cartoons.

BearinOz at 3:02AM, July 22, 2019
(online)
“What are you doing, Dave ?” Watching 2001: A Space Odyssey “You can't DO that, Dave” Yes, I can HAL. Kubrick did some great stuff, including what for me was the first ‘proper’ S.F. film, which I'm old enough to have seen on its original cinema release…and maybe twice since in the idiot box. At the time, I know the ending was too weird for some folk. Nowadays, it's nothing radical - just watch a few episodes of “Dust”. It's the only thing I really wanted to peel off from the glut of nostalgia-moon-weekend on Foxy.
It's still pretty good for its age “More than can be said for you, Dave” , although as with all these decades-old S.F.predictive things, we've moved beyond some of their ‘hi-tech’
For its “cultural significance”and general watchability, it still gets a good 3+ Goldilocks
p.s. I'd totally forgotten Leonard Rossiter had a cameo in this - long before he was tipping wine over Joan Collins . Anyone under 50 and/or U.S.based won't have a clue who he was….

last edited on July 22, 2019 3:26AM
bravo1102 at 4:10AM, July 22, 2019
(offline)
p.s. I'd totally forgotten Leonard Rossiter had a cameo in this - long before he was tipping wine over Joan Collins . Anyone under 50 and/or U.S.based won't have a clue who he was….

He also played a very good King John in the BBC/PBS the Shakespeare Plays around the same time he was doing Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. That's the series where John Cleese played Petruchio in “Taming of the Shrew”

Due to intolerable heat I watched movies on YouTube all weekend. Finished off all the Vincent Price Edgar Allen Poe I could find as well as Hawthorne's “Twice Told Tales” who knew many were written by Charles Beaumont. (Have to be Twilight Zone fan to recognize him)

Also saw a couple of the Robert Bloch anthology movies he did for Amicus pictures. (Author of Psycho among others)

Great old time horror when a shadow on a wall and a splash of blood was all you needed and it was the character that mattered not the gore.
last edited on July 22, 2019 4:12AM
BearinOz at 7:27AM, July 22, 2019
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:

He also played a very good King John in the BBC/PBS the Shakespeare Plays around the same time he was doing Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin.
Great old time horror when a shadow on a wall and a splash of blood was all you needed and it was the character that mattered not the gore.
…and plots too ! Remember plots ? B-) I temporarily forgot about Shakespeare and Reggie Perrin… “Rising Damp”'s what I remember him most fondly for, then one episode of an ‘oddball’ story-per-episode series (I totally forget the name of) where he presumably (off-screen) decapitates Joan Collins….which lead to them being signed up together for a series of Cinzano ads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkjidE0WnAI
moizmad at 2:32PM, July 22, 2019
(online)
I've seen 2001 over 30 times, best movie ever in my humble opinion. When it came out I would pay to see it twice a week, blew my mind. And no CGI in 1968 for Mr. Kubrick, had to do it for real and it still looks good. Was a short pulp fiction story by Arthur C. Clarke called The Sentinel. Favourite line: Dr. Heywood Floyd: Don't suppose you have any idea what the darn thing is?
Abt_Nihil at 1:47AM, July 23, 2019
(offline)
2001 is the best, and I'm saying that as someone who first saw it when it was re-released… in 2001.
Genejoke at 10:20AM, July 28, 2019
(online)
The boys. Never read the comics but the series is damn good so far.
BustyLaroo at 3:00PM, July 30, 2019
(offline)
Just started Miss Fishers Mysteries. :O
Froggtreecomics at 7:32AM, July 31, 2019
(offline)
Fleabag - Just finished watching both seasons - It's sort of a demented Brigette Jones.

Killing Eve - One of my newest fave T.V. shows, think I am going through a Phoebe Waller Bridge phase ><
moizmad at 1:59PM, Aug. 1, 2019
(online)
AMERICAN HANGMAN - Donald Sutherland, Vincent Kartheiser, Oliver Dennis, Paul Braunstein. Former Judge Donald abducted by nutbar Vincent and put on internet site for mock-up trial because innocent man was convicted and executed years ago with Donald presiding over case. A lot of unnecessary side characters filing time space and after all that I'm still not quite sure if the actual killer was Vincent or Donald? My personal view is never execute anyone unless it's a slam-dunk no-brainer (Dahler, Gacy etc.) A generous 2 on the Moizmeter.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon