Comic Talk and General Discussion *

"Not fitting in" in animation cliques.
Furwerk studio at 7:38PM, Sept. 23, 2020
(offline)
I love animation, I want to make animated shorts and work towards that goal so I try to learn everything I can. From working hard, to short cuts an cheats to the rarely talked about business and marketing, I study pencil test from around the world and try to follow news about animated projects (which is very hard as western animation news networks are extremely politically driven and personally bias many times, while anime news is pure fluff).

I tried this traditional animation discord, and it was pretty okay with a few conversations in the general chat but I never could get a good discussion going in anything animation.

I'd admit it I wasn't much active because instead of how something was done, or can this be done or discovering new artists within the field it felt like a twitter feed, there was a scattered piece on some behind the scene productions of Don Bluth projects like Beauty and the beast (which never made it past planning? I need citation) but it felt like everything was just posting some youtuber doing an essay, rant or review and nothing else.

I kind of stepped over the line after a discussion of why so many modern American adult shows are ugly, by saying that it feels like it's a way to cheat the animators and shave the cost towards actors/producers. Which is kind of funny as other members were saying the same thing, and much worse and meaner things, but the mod, or at least I think it was a mod, hard to tell really, said I crossed the line because I don't have proof with a tone of how dare you.

Rather than fight to the bitter death arguing my case and pointing out things in the industry like crunch, the animators of Sausage Party not getting credit, and other cases I just left the server to save myself the grief because I know I did not fit in.

Maybe I'm bitching too much but I felt kind of mislead, thinking it would be discussions of how to revive the art of hand drawn animation, the business of getting your work distributed while keeping the rights while showing off our works.

I don't know, maybe it's me but it feels like many forums dedicated to animation it seems the case across the board. I mean there is no talks of Rock n Rule, the studio behind that Nelvana, American Pop and it's director Ralph Bakshi. How to get out there and noticed like Mike Judge at Festivals, or collecting animation magazines.

It seems to me to be more, “Pocahontas was great, wasn't it great? It was great.”, “animation is expressive, that's why we will never try,” and “this youtuber has the exact same views as me, it validates my views!”

Well, I'm turning it over to you guys. How was your encounters with the internet animation cliques?
Andreas_Helixfinger at 11:43PM, Sept. 23, 2020
(offline)
Furwerk studio wrote:
I love animation, I want to make animated shorts and work towards that goal so I try to learn everything I can. From working hard, to short cuts an cheats to the rarely talked about business and marketing, I study pencil test from around the world and try to follow news about animated projects (which is very hard as western animation news networks are extremely politically driven and personally bias many times, while anime news is pure fluff).

I tried this traditional animation discord, and it was pretty okay with a few conversations in the general chat but I never could get a good discussion going in anything animation.

I'd admit it I wasn't much active because instead of how something was done, or can this be done or discovering new artists within the field it felt like a twitter feed, there was a scattered piece on some behind the scene productions of Don Bluth projects like Beauty and the beast (which never made it past planning? I need citation) but it felt like everything was just posting some youtuber doing an essay, rant or review and nothing else.

I kind of stepped over the line after a discussion of why so many modern American adult shows are ugly, by saying that it feels like it's a way to cheat the animators and shave the cost towards actors/producers. Which is kind of funny as other members were saying the same thing, and much worse and meaner things, but the mod, or at least I think it was a mod, hard to tell really, said I crossed the line because I don't have proof with a tone of how dare you.

Rather than fight to the bitter death arguing my case and pointing out things in the industry like crunch, the animators of Sausage Party not getting credit, and other cases I just left the server to save myself the grief because I know I did not fit in.

Maybe I'm bitching too much but I felt kind of mislead, thinking it would be discussions of how to revive the art of hand drawn animation, the business of getting your work distributed while keeping the rights while showing off our works.

I don't know, maybe it's me but it feels like many forums dedicated to animation it seems the case across the board. I mean there is no talks of Rock n Rule, the studio behind that Nelvana, American Pop and it's director Ralph Bakshi. How to get out there and noticed like Mike Judge at Festivals, or collecting animation magazines.

It seems to me to be more, “Pocahontas was great, wasn't it great? It was great.”, “animation is expressive, that's why we will never try,” and “this youtuber has the exact same views as me, it validates my views!”

Well, I'm turning it over to you guys. How was your encounters with the internet animation cliques?

I don't really have any experience at all with animation cliques, so I can't really help you there. But have you tried the animation forum on Newgrounds perhaps?
last edited on Sept. 23, 2020 11:44PM
bravo1102 at 2:50AM, Sept. 24, 2020
(offline)
It's like that on a lot of discussion boards not just animation or even art.

You can see the same behavior among the historians, model builders, gamers etc anywhere in social media and often at club meetings and shows. It's typical human behavior.

There are cliques that form up, sometimes right before your eyes. There is the echo chamber and there's that some can say things that others will be castigated for.

It's group dynamics. Having been in some therapy groups it can be seen there too. But a good therapist will see it and steer the group appropriately for the benefit of the members. But other groups aren't that lucky.

Most board moderators aren't mental health care professionals. ;)
last edited on Sept. 24, 2020 2:52AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon