Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Welp, Oscars is cutting the animation medium from their line up.
Kemonokomic at 7:50PM, Feb. 22, 2022
(offline)
Does the Oscars really celebrate the art of film making and culture of cinephiles?

No, it's just a bunch of rich people patting themselves on the back while giving each other backpads and circlejerks over how mature, adult and thought provoking their elite circle is.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/oscars-cut-animated-short-award-from-live-telecast-213710.html

Aaannnd that circlejerk had shrunk some more, I guess Disney/Pixar isn't getting another award this year.

I just thought I bring up it, and honestly hope this farce can be silently taken to behind the shed and given Old Yeller* treatment.

And I was going to joke about Old Yeller not getting an Oscar, and looked it up and found movies like around the world in 80 days, the Ten Commandments and the King and I, and curious I looked up the last two years and found it.. Lacking..

Anyway, Oscars are not for movie fans and they add another medium they have no respect for. Let's discuss it.
Ozoneocean at 8:55PM, Feb. 22, 2022
(online)
Yup, Oscars exist for a few functions: Circlejerk rewards for industry people; So academy members can virtue signal about how clever they are for liking “intelligent” films; As a way to promote movies.

That last one is not easy to do. They need to lobby academy members hard and in may different way to make it happen.

But those 3 things are why all awards exist :D
kawaiidaigakusei at 11:07PM, Feb. 22, 2022
(online)
How unfortunate. The animated short awards were one of my favorite categories. I liked watching all submissions no matter the outcome.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
bravo1102 at 12:55AM, Feb. 23, 2022
(offline)
The studios invented the Academy Awards as a promotional tool for themselves as well as to give themselves a pat on the back for being responsible artists.
It was part salesmanship and part trying to get motion pictures accepted as an art form as opposed to just popular entertainment.

And the lobbying the members of the Academy to vote for certain pictures has always been a part of it as well as locking out certain films and parts of the industry from the awards.
bravo1102 at 1:00AM, Feb. 23, 2022
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
Yup, Oscars exist for a few functions: Circlejerk rewards for industry people; So academy members can virtue signal about how clever they are for liking “intelligent” films; As a way to promote movies.

That reminds me, so what are the chances there'll be a DD AWARDS this year?
Ozoneocean at 7:58AM, Feb. 23, 2022
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Ozoneocean wrote:

That reminds me, so what are the chances there'll be a DD AWARDS this year?
LOL!!!
Furwerk studio at 4:29PM, Feb. 23, 2022
(offline)
I found out through cartoon brew they're dumping animation so the Oscars can have more time for SNL level skits.
ArrenMcStealsalot at 12:03AM, Feb. 24, 2022
(offline)
Kemonokomic wrote:

No, it's just a bunch of rich people patting themselves on the back while giving each other backpads and circlejerks over how mature, adult and thought provoking their elite circle is.

Well said, that's why I stopped paying attention to all these awards long time ago.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 7:22AM, Feb. 25, 2022
(offline)
If I was to nominate anyone for an oscar it would be this man who sounds just like scraface and this cat that talks human. But just one word.

I suspect it to be about as good, if not better, then anything being nominated at the oscars these days anyhow.

last edited on Feb. 25, 2022 7:24AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon