Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Not a single person has ever .....
memo333 at 7:31AM, July 5, 2023
(offline)
said something, asked me, getting interested at my manga.

that means it sucks? should I just quit?
whats the point of doing something you have passion and love…but people dont care?

then why I should care?

whats a Shepherds without its sheep?

its sad…and demotivating. I feel like I'm hitting a wall.

your opinions?

All my stuff here: https://linktr.ee/memo333
dragonsong12 at 8:02AM, July 5, 2023
(offline)
Honestly, I relate a lot. Sometimes you just feel like you're screaming into the void and it feels like “what's the point?” It can be so frustrating when you pour your heart and soul into something, but it doesn't seem to resonate with anyone. I actually get a little annoyed now with pieces of media that tell the tale of “follow your passion! And it will all work out!” because no…probably not…
Extra frustrating sometimes because I genuinely DO think my comics are kind of bad. I don't recommend them to people I know, sometimes I'm even embarrassed to read back through them myself. So it just feels like it's justifying that belief when no one shows interest.

I don't have an answer for you. All people are different and my mental state and yours might not match, but every piece of advice I could offer would be personally biased. I'm kinda dumb and I'm not qualified to really give advice anyway…

But in spite of everything, I'm still making my comics. I still spend pretty much all my free time working on them, and I will never stop. Why? Because creating things is the only thing that makes me happy. Seeing a lack of comments is depressing, but before that? When it's just me sitting down and creating an entire world out of a blank page? That's the best thing in the world and I'd do it forever if I could. And then I think about what it would mean to be “good” to be “popular” - the demands, the drama, the stress - and I'm honestly not sure I really want it anyway. I really love talking about this stuff, and I'd be so glad to have some people I could talk about the little details and the inspirations with, but as it is it's all mine. I don't have to please anyone because no one is reading anyway, haha! And there's a certain comfort to that.

But as I said, I don't know that that mindset would work for anyone else. I guess it comes down to a question of why you want to make your manga. Is it just to be popular? We all want to share the things we love with others, so I doubt those nagging feelings will ever go away, but if you can get something just from the act of creation? Then as sad as it can be, it's still worth it. You have something to say that only you can say, and maybe even if no one else will listen, you should still say it.
memo333 at 8:17AM, July 5, 2023
(offline)
dragonsong12 wrote:
Honestly, I relate a lot. Sometimes you just feel like you're screaming into the void and it feels like “what's the point?” It can be so frustrating when you pour your heart and soul into something, but it doesn't seem to resonate with anyone. I actually get a little annoyed now with pieces of media that tell the tale of “follow your passion! And it will all work out!” because no…probably not…
Extra frustrating sometimes because I genuinely DO think my comics are kind of bad. I don't recommend them to people I know, sometimes I'm even embarrassed to read back through them myself. So it just feels like it's justifying that belief when no one shows interest.

I don't have an answer for you. All people are different and my mental state and yours might not match, but every piece of advice I could offer would be personally biased. I'm kinda dumb and I'm not qualified to really give advice anyway…

But in spite of everything, I'm still making my comics. I still spend pretty much all my free time working on them, and I will never stop. Why? Because creating things is the only thing that makes me happy. Seeing a lack of comments is depressing, but before that? When it's just me sitting down and creating an entire world out of a blank page? That's the best thing in the world and I'd do it forever if I could. And then I think about what it would mean to be “good” to be “popular” - the demands, the drama, the stress - and I'm honestly not sure I really want it anyway. I really love talking about this stuff, and I'd be so glad to have some people I could talk about the little details and the inspirations with, but as it is it's all mine. I don't have to please anyone because no one is reading anyway, haha! And there's a certain comfort to that.

But as I said, I don't know that that mindset would work for anyone else. I guess it comes down to a question of why you want to make your manga. Is it just to be popular? We all want to share the things we love with others, so I doubt those nagging feelings will ever go away, but if you can get something just from the act of creation? Then as sad as it can be, it's still worth it. You have something to say that only you can say, and maybe even if no one else will listen, you should still say it.

thx for responding.

the reality is that I want/need money.
what I gain at work is not enough.

I will try and raise a PATREON. doing anatomy/anime theory and tutorials.

I hope to get a community.

I at least need to try.

doing my manga gives me pure happiness BUT NO MONEY.

and I need BOTH.

so if I see my manga is not doing well, then I will quit for now.

bravo1102 at 8:19AM, July 5, 2023
(offline)
Regarding shepherds and sheep, your readers aren't the sheep, your manga is your flock and the various elements in that work are the sheep. That's what it's your job to take care of.

Do promotion on social media and elsewhere. Participate on hosting sites. Make yourself a presence out and around. Lots and lots of self-promotion. You want money, sell, sell, sell. Believe whole heartedly in your work and be enthusiastic about it. Readers will catch your enthusiasm and support you. Throw yourself whole heartedly into it and do not give up because it's all about perseverance. Keep going is how you succeed.

But in the end do it anyway because it's fun to put together stories and pictures. No one else appreciates it? Do it anyway.

last edited on July 5, 2023 8:26AM
memo333 at 8:26AM, July 5, 2023
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
Regarding shepherds and sheep, your readers aren't the sheep, your manga is your flock and the various elements in that work are the sheep. That's what it's your job to take care of.

There are folks out there doing mind blowing work that is the webcomuc equivalent of the Sistine Chapel who are getting nothing. There are others doing the equivalent of the second grade pictures your mom put on the refrigerator. They're in the top ten with the readers and comments. It's not fair but then life isn't.

You want to do it? Do it. Don't let anyone stop you. Participate on the site. Promote your comic on social media and what have you. The readers will slowly drift in and if you're me they'll drift back out again and sometimes they stick around and even comment. And sometimes its very lonely.

But do it anyway because it's fun to put together stories and pictures. No one else appreciates it? Do it anyway.

thx for the respond.

imagine you love cooking, food, and u are so passionet that you open a resustaurant. but
guess what….

ALMOST NOBODY goes…….is either the food sucks…the place is not good…people dont like it…etc

what do you do? you have no choice than to close your business.

because how can u pay the rent, workers, etc?

I see my manga similar to this……..

I see no profit. I love what im doing but I dont see any progress.

maybe cooking is not for me . need to try different things.

i need to do what i love WHILE i make money.

perfect combo.

J_Scarbrough at 8:27AM, July 5, 2023
(offline)
I had similar problems many ages and moons ago when I was on Smack Jeeves, however, it was the reverse: if your comic wasn't a manga (or stolen video game sprites, or LGBTQ+), then nobody was interested - that was pretty much the zeitgeist with them.

But that seems to be the nature of the internet in general: everything is based on whatever is trendy at the moment . . . take YouTube for example: it seems like the only videos anybody ever watches are the dull and droll Talking Heads - nobody watches anything of originality anymore, and for the most part, originality on the internet seems to be dead air; if you don't fit into the zeitgeist, nobody will give you the time of day (and if you try to promote yourself, then that just pisses people off because they think you're just shamelessly crying for attention out of desperation - trust me, I've dealt with this so much, this is exactly why I never advertise or promote any of my work anymore).

I too have considered looking into things like Patreon and the like, but the catch is you always have to be able to offer your patrons some kind of perk or incentive in return for their monetary contributions, and . . . I got nothing. I am eligible for monetization on YouTube, but my content is clearly too niche to be seen by the masses, and any revenue I'd make from my content would probably be nickels and dimes (also doesn't help that YouTube itself takes nearly half of your revenue for themselves - that is way too generous a piece of the pie for them, especially considering how often they bite the hand that feeds them).

So I mean, again, that's just how fickle the internet is when it comes to creative content: you either have to try to fit in with whatever the current trends are, or you have to really stand out from the crowd with something original.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
last edited on July 5, 2023 9:34AM
bravo1102 at 8:32AM, July 5, 2023
(offline)
Promote, promote, promote. That's how the guy who loves to cook got his restaurant to succeed. I actually know a few. It was perseverance that paid off.

I also know some writers who sent out hundreds of proposals and manuscripts and finally got the contracts and money. They didn't give up. They still love to write and get discouraged reading numbers on Amazon but then there are the reviews that love their work and the publisher wants a sequel. It was all the perseverance and putting it out there and promoting it.

There is promoting and showing you believe in your work, and promoting where you come off as a jerk. I don't believe in my work very much and when I did promote it showed. I'm a curmudgeon so I have to take me out of the promoting and let the comic do the work.

I could do Patreon, but that's too much like work and I'm too lazy.
last edited on July 5, 2023 8:40AM
memo333 at 9:17AM, July 5, 2023
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
I had similar problems many ages and moons ago when I was on Smack Jeeves, however, it was the reverse: if your comic wasn't a manga (or stolen video game sprites, or LGBTQ+), then nobody was interested - that was pretty much the zeitgeist with them.

But that seems to be the nature of the internet in general: everything is based on whatever is trendy at the moment . . . take YouTube for example: it seems like the only videos anybody ever watches are the dull and droll Talking Heads - nobody watches anything of originality anymore, and for the most part, originality on the internet seems to be dead air; if you don't fit into the zeitgeist, nobody will give you the time of day (and if you try to promote yourself, then that just pisses people off because they think you're just shamelessly crying for attention out of desperation - trust, I've dealt with this so much, this is exactly why I never advertise or promote any of my work anymore).

I too have considered looking into things like Patreon and the like, but the catch is you always have to be able to offer your patrons some kind of perk or incentive in return for their monetary contributions, and . . . I got nothing. I am eligible for monetization on YouTube, but my content is clearly too niche to be seen by the masses, and any revenue I'd make from my content would probably be nickels and dimes (also doesn't help that YouTube itself takes nearly half of your revenue for themselves - that is way too generous a piece of the pie for them, especially considering how often they bite the hand that feeds them).

So I mean, again, that's just how fickle the internet is when it comes to creative content: you either have to try to fit in with whatever the current trends are, or you have to really stand out from the crowd with something original.

ytea bro..i feel you…my youtube is the same. im just so specific and random. the algorimt hates me.

also…i reached 1000 subs BUT no watch outs. cuz they dont like my content. so I stop trying for now.

today or tomorrow I will finish chapter 4. AND THATS IT for now.

all my time and effort will be added to my patreon.

tutorials, digital art and such.

i will do that for 1-2 months and see what happens.

i need to do things different.

memo333 at 9:25AM, July 5, 2023
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
Promote, promote, promote. That's how the guy who loves to cook got his restaurant to succeed. I actually know a few. It was perseverance that paid off.

I also know some writers who sent out hundreds of proposals and manuscripts and finally got the contracts and money. They didn't give up. They still love to write and get discouraged reading numbers on Amazon but then there are the reviews that love their work and the publisher wants a sequel. It was all the perseverance and putting it out there and promoting it.

There is promoting and showing you believe in your work, and promoting where you come off as a jerk. I don't believe in my work very much and when I did promote it showed. I'm a curmudgeon so I have to take me out of the promoting and let the comic do the work.

I could do Patreon, but that's too much like work and I'm too lazy.
look…it's not to be pessimistic but…that fights for your dreams doesn't work for everyone. The truth is that I've been doing this for years and I don't see results. It is good to be positive, but also realistic.

maybe this is not working. something else is needed.

I feel that paying and promoting my manga will not have much results because many people will say that it is not drawn professionally or for an excuse. Something tells me, why am I risking it? things are good by themselves. If you pay for advertising it means that something is wrong.

people respond to what they like. If people don't respond to my manga, I get that they're not interested. and it's sad. The truth is that only one person has commented on it. maybe if someone read it all and said something good it would be great…but no…

I can't force people. And I don't want to pay them to do it, it has to come from themselves.

I will try to do the patreon. I'll announce it when I have some content there. About 10 video tutorials is fine to start.

J_Scarbrough at 10:06AM, July 5, 2023
(offline)
memo333 wrote:
look…it's not to be pessimistic but…that fights for your dreams doesn't work for everyone. The truth is that I've been doing this for years and I don't see results. It is good to be positive, but also realistic.
This. All of this. I have long basically given up on following my dreams, and it's not to say that I haven't tried, it's just that unfortunately, things are different now, and it's nearly impossible for little indies like us to leave are mark on a world that's mostly characters to big media franchises and the like. It's not like back in the old days when studios or networks would provide you with the mean and let you do your own thing while they merely acted as your hosts; nowadays, the “suits” call all the shots and take away from you what you created to profit off of. Not to mention the unexpected turns my personal life has taken over the years that have basically made trying to continue to pursue any dreams I may have once had impractical.

Joseph Scarbrough
J_Scarbrough at 10:08AM, July 5, 2023
(offline)
On the subject of promoting, somebody riddle me this: why is it that these really big YouTuber always practically plead and beg for more subscribers in all of their videos, like, “PLZ SUB! I NEED MOAR SUBS! I GOTTA GET TO 100,000,000 SUBS! PLZ SUB! PLZ SUB!” and people just do it with no problem, if but a little guy like me even so much as says anything along the lines of, “If you like such-and-such, maybe you could look at my channel sometime,” we get attacked and berated for being shameless, desperate, and crying for attention? Just . . . why?

Joseph Scarbrough
memo333 at 1:20PM, July 5, 2023
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
On the subject of promoting, somebody riddle me this: why is it that these really big YouTuber always practically plead and beg for more subscribers in all of their videos, like, “PLZ SUB! I NEED MOAR SUBS! I GOTTA GET TO 100,000,000 SUBS! PLZ SUB! PLZ SUB!” and people just do it with no problem, if but a little guy like me even so much as says anything along the lines of, “If you like such-and-such, maybe you could look at my channel sometime,” we get attacked and berated for being shameless, desperate, and crying for attention? Just . . . why?

yes friend… for that reason social media sucks.

They don't make sense, they're unfair, and it's all about fucking money.

love, feelings, the beauty of life doesn't matter AS LONG as you don't make money. Social networks only serve for creators to get rich while you are eating their crumbs. you are just a pawn to them.

that's why social networks don't matter. It is meaningless.

on instagram someone puts a drawing of a badly drawn dog and it has thousands of likes. I or someone else does something a thousand times better and almost no one pays attention to you.

It's funny… but yes… social networks are a necessary evil. You have no choice but to adapt, or you die.

But yes… it's tiring that the same thing happens to you over and over again while the others go up in followers and money. extremely annoying.

Genejoke at 5:23PM, July 5, 2023
(online)
Writer Cyril Connolly said “Better to write for yourself and have no public than to write for the public and have no self.”
sleeping_gorilla at 7:03PM, July 5, 2023
(offline)
I speak from experience that you will never get anywhere “Chasing the Dragon”. There are maybe a few dozen pencilers working for Marvel and DC for 30k/y. A few, like Todd McFarlane, have had great careers and are worth millions. But for McFarlane that has more to do with his toy line and side businesses.

Personally, I found that learning to be financially responsible changed my life quite a bit. I would advise listening to Dave Ramsey or his daughter Rachel Cruze. I liked Chris Hogan, but he retired.

Start with saving %15 of your income and building an emergency fund. So when bad stuff happens you have money to deal with it.
last edited on July 6, 2023 4:16PM
J_Scarbrough at 7:36PM, July 5, 2023
(offline)
sleeping_gorilla wrote:
Personally, I found that learning to be financially responsible changed my life quite a bit.
Yeah, unfortunately, they didn't teach that stuff in school . . . stuff like that would have been far more beneficial in our adult lives.

sleeping_gorilla wrote:
I would advise listening to Dave Ramsey or his daughter Rachel Cruze.
He, and other rich people like him, are so out of touch with the working class. He recently suggested that Americans themselves are to blame for present state of the economy (not the sky-rocketing inflation that Trump started, but Biden made worse by not doing a damn thing about it) because they won't change their lifestyles or spending habits, but that couldn't be farther from the truth . . . a lot of everyday Americans are having to give up luxuries and frivolities, and make other adjustments to their finances, but they still can barely afford to sustain themselves: rises prices and dwindling or stagnating salaries and wages are the real culprits.

Joseph Scarbrough
bravo1102 at 3:50AM, July 6, 2023
(offline)
I'm not talking “pursue your dreams and it's all sunshine and rainbows”

No, get down in the trenches amd make it happen. You want to know the difference between an amateur amd a professional? The amateur gave up and the professional persevered. I'm a real life Army veteran combat arms. I've done shit that'd make most people dry up amd blow away. We say “fuck it, drive on” (FIDO) and keep going amd not whine about how unfair everything is. It is unfair and everything is up hill but you do it anyway. When you've had to claw your way back from a complete breakdown because of your world falling apart? Then talk about “not being pessimistic.”

And why don't I do it myself? Like I said I'm lazy. I did it for my model building amd hated it. Somewhat successful amd really supplement the income when I was under employed, but when I realized I suddenly hated doing something I loved. It's like the Cyrill Connelly quote. I lost myself. So my comics are strictly for computer viewing and I just want readers and nothing else so I don't lose myself again. Ergo, I know what I'm talking about. Now get going. Move out, FIDO and make it happen. Because a lot of it really is about you and not how unfair the world is.

I've given this talk to a bunch of troubled kids. They're doing all right because they took it to heart. Also gave it to folks when I was in a very dark place myself and we had to help each other back. The therapist called me a survivor because I really had been in some bad spots and made it out. T-shirts? Got a drawer full because I really have been there, done that. Great thing is they don't wear out.
last edited on July 6, 2023 4:05AM
lothar at 4:49AM, July 6, 2023
(offline)
I don't know if my perspective is relevant or not.

I started making comics before I had a computer or access to the internet. Before webcomics were even a big thing. Back then all I could do was put them in a binder and occasionally show them to a close friend. Then I decided to get online and see what was going on. Back then there was pretty much just geocities and the like. After that came Drunk Duck and times were good…. Back in the 2000s. Things are not like they used to be. You get fewer views nowadays. That's my experience at least. And fewer comments. I don't know why. Maybe the newness of it has worn off. I don't know where everyone is now. Seems like there should be more people than ever. Even on another site where I get lots of views, I don't seem to get so many comments. But at the same time I'm less inclined to leave comments on other people's work. Maybe that's a problem. The newness has worn off. But if you have a story to tell or even just a vision to show, I think it's worth it. The current situation kinda sucks. And now you gotta factor AI into it. Sometimes I feel hopeless too. But at the end of the day I gotta do what I'm compelled to do. And I take comfort that at least it's not just sitting in a binder on my shelf waiting for that occasional friend to take a look at it. It's my escape from reality. It's a message in a bottle. I'm resigned to the truth that I'll never be famous, not in this current system that only promotes the familiar and the “safe”. But times change and you never know… Maybe the world will change. Do what you want to do. It's self actualization. It's personal. First and foremost it's your thing. I have stopped dreaming of becoming famous. It's like Tyler Durden says “we were all raised to think that we would be rock stars and movie gods” but shit is different now in 2023. Where are we going? Who fucking knows! Just enjoy the trip
last edited on July 6, 2023 4:55AM
memo333 at 6:56PM, July 15, 2023
(offline)
PEOPLE! thx for the comments..dont worry…I WILL CONTINUE!

it just a BITCH SLAP to me….im not a loser…im a winner…

I really like what im doing…right now Im doing an animation for a part in chapter 5-6 or 7…i dont know..that part will happen sooner or later…
i couldnt resist to do the animation.,,,

if I were a loser I wouldnt even tried…….but this animation proovs that my fighting spirit is still on fire!

im just taking a little rest……but I can stop/quit making what I started

thats for losers. I will do my best to finish it, as good as possible* in my posibilities

. ok..LETS KEEP DOING STUFF BECAUSE TIME DOENST STOPS AND COMES BACK!

I leave my tree , there I will announce all the new details/stuff. take care bye!

https://linktr.ee/memo333

https://linktr.ee/memo333

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon