Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2019! General discussion thread
usedbooks at 2:53PM, Jan. 27, 2019
(online)
I'm so sorry kawaii.

I'm still hating house hunting. At least it's an excuse to see my parents more frequently. They've met with me several times to look at houses. Godawful broken houses. Or beautiful perfect houses that require traversing the temple of doom to get to and have no place to park when you get there.

With the government (temporarily) functioning, maybe I can actually get my loan approved. Big *maybe.* I am filled with dread and self-doubt. I'm going to get rejected. This is all going to fall apart.
Ozoneocean at 6:43PM, Jan. 30, 2019
(online)
same wrote:
Can I get… uhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Hello Irish ducker!

——————

I'm sick :(
Ill
Poorly
Under the weather
Ailing

I went to the doctor and got some antibiotics… I think it's a bacterial throat infection. I'm getting worse :(
It's probably not helped by staying up till 2am every night and sewing like a mad person.
JaymonRising at 8:08PM, Jan. 30, 2019
(offline)
@ozoneocean Oh dear, I'm sorry about that. I hope you get better soon, though.
last edited on Jan. 30, 2019 9:46PM
Ozoneocean at 8:17PM, Feb. 4, 2019
(online)
Thanks Jaymon
It's probably a flu :(
bravo1102 at 9:09AM, Feb. 5, 2019
(offline)
Constant sniffles, daily sinus headaches, occasional migraines and stabbing pain in both eyes.

No wonder I'm depressed. And it doesn't look like anything is changing soon.

And comics? Could help, if there was any desire to work on it.
last edited on Feb. 5, 2019 9:13AM
Ozoneocean at 8:23PM, Feb. 5, 2019
(online)
Working with a pair of toxic fake leather shoes did that to me. Exactly that. especially the sinus aches, it was extremely painful.
I used to get the same issues working with MDF, when cutting tools produced smoke and dust from the material. I think it's the formaldehyde in the material.Regardless, I had to wear filter masks with a full seal around the face to mitigate it.

Are there any faint chemical smells in your workplace?
kawaiidaigakusei at 10:03PM, Feb. 5, 2019
(online)
@bravo

You can always do your taxes! That could make you feel better, 70 more days to go.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
bravo1102 at 12:56AM, Feb. 6, 2019
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Working with a pair of toxic fake leather shoes did that to me. Exactly that. especially the sinus aches, it was extremely painful.
I used to get the same issues working with MDF, when cutting tools produced smoke and dust from the material. I think it's the formaldehyde in the material.Regardless, I had to wear filter masks with a full seal around the face to mitigate it.

Are there any faint chemical smells in your workplace?
:D :D
I work at a petroleum distribution terminal! But it's not the smells.

Its light and vision. The distortion left after the last surgery is very disorienting. And the sniffles have been with me ever since I've had a nose.
Ozoneocean at 3:37AM, Feb. 6, 2019
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Its light and vision. The distortion left after the last surgery is very disorienting. And the sniffles have been with me ever since I've had a nose.
I have chronic Rhinitis too, because of poorly developed sinus channels in my cheekbones, that makes me prone to sinus ache/infections and therefore a trigger for migraine, but it's not the direct cause.

External irritants like certain fumes or pollen etc have an easier time of it when they affect me. That could be the case with you as well?

Though I don't dispute distorted vision making you ill. That can really affect you. Trying to look though high magnification lenses quickly gives me migraine symptoms.
fallopiancrusader at 6:50AM, Feb. 6, 2019
(offline)
I was able to get Mindfold onto Comixology (amazon). I probably won't be earning any money from it, but it's at least fun to know that I now have a microscopic foot-hold in the publishing world

http://bit.ly/2HD1u2e
bravo1102 at 7:07AM, Feb. 6, 2019
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
I have chronic Rhinitis too, because of poorly developed sinus channels in my cheekbones, that makes me prone to sinus ache/infections and therefore a trigger for migraine, but it's not the direct cause.

External irritants like certain fumes or pollen etc have an easier time of it when they affect me. That could be the case with you as well?

Though I don't dispute distorted vision making you ill. That can really affect you. Trying to look though high magnification lenses quickly gives me migraine symptoms.
Breaking a couple of falls with my face and getting punched in the face in 2001 made my sinuses much worse.
But having built models for over 40 years I'm really not too sensitive to many chemical smells. Superglue really gets to me and I'm careful around lacquers and MEK. Fan on. Window open and keep it sealed when not in use.

And all my acrylic paint has probably dried up. :|
Ozoneocean at 7:30PM, Feb. 10, 2019
(online)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
I was able to get Mindfold onto Comixology (amazon). I probably won't be earning any money from it, but it's at least fun to know that I now have a microscopic foot-hold in the publishing world

http://bit.ly/2HD1u2e
Wow! Congrats F-cru!
usedbooks at 1:05PM, Feb. 14, 2019
(online)
I put an offer on a house, and it was accepted! If inspection and assessment go well, I'll soon be a homeowner!
Ozoneocean at 7:15PM, Feb. 14, 2019
(online)
Go for it UB ^_^

I'm going to a masquerade tomorrow dressed in my creative outfit that I've been working on for quite a while… I hope it works out.
bravo1102 at 2:49AM, Feb. 15, 2019
(offline)
usedbooks wrote:
I put an offer on a house, and it was accepted! If inspection and assessment go well, I'll soon be a homeowner!

Congratulations! Make certain to look behind and under everything so there are no hidden surprises.

And heat and hot water and air conditioning and windows and insulation and storage– triple check everything!
usedbooks at 5:02AM, Feb. 15, 2019
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
usedbooks wrote:

Congratulations! Make certain to look behind and under everything so there are no hidden surprises.

And heat and hot water and air conditioning and windows and insulation and storage– triple check everything!

This place was just completely renovated, so it has a new electrical system, heat pump, water heater, windows, floors, kitchen cabinets… Only weird things about it are very little storage inside the house (but a beautiful spacious basement), and a weird clawfoot tub with one of those curtain rings. The house was built in 1924, so some of those things are par for the course. (Same age as my apartment, same super high ceilings. Maybe why it feels like home.)

The back deck has a gorgeous view of Mill Mountain, Roanoke's most notable landmark.

Anyway, I'm having a home inspector in this week. And according to the contract, the seller has to have a pest inspection done. So it should uncover any significant issues in case my parents and I missed something.
rcleary171 at 9:34AM, Feb. 17, 2019
(offline)
Anyway, I'm having a home inspector in this week. And according to the contract, the seller has to have a pest inspection done. So it should uncover any significant issues in case my parents and I missed something.

Congratulations! Welcome to the world of home ownership. I was lucky and purchased my home at a good time and just finished paying off the mortgage.

IMHO - it's a great long term investment (even after the new roof, bathroom plumbing, all new windows, new chimney, finished basement, blah, blah, blah..) But those expenses were over a 20 year period.

There's something about owning your own space in the world and I wish you luck.

Bob
tupapayon at 5:05PM, Feb. 27, 2019
(online)
Wow! It's been a long time since I was in the Duck.

It has been a rough time. I'm gonna have cataract surgery next month. I have to get dyalisis frequently. But I don't suffer from infections anymore. On bad news I regret to say that I lost my leg… No, wait, it's behind the chair. Found it!
bravo1102 at 1:03AM, Feb. 28, 2019
(offline)
tupapayon wrote:
Wow! It's been a long time since I was in the Duck.

It has been a rough time. I'm gonna have cataract surgery next month. I have to get dyalisis frequently. But I don't suffer from infections anymore. On bad news I regret to say that I lost my leg… No, wait, it's behind the chair. Found it!
Welcome back! Cataract surgery is intimidating at first but they can put new lenses in your eyes these days that can really improve your vision. Hope you don't need both eyes done. The going back and forth with eye patches gets really tiring.

I have a friend who calls and we chat during his dialysis. I'm told its a good time to catch up on your reading.
Banes at 8:48PM, Feb. 28, 2019
(offline)
Welcome back, tupa! Hope you recover well and soon!

Congrats, Used Books! Exciting stuff! Very happy for you.

Ozoneocean at 5:18PM, March 4, 2019
(online)
Niel Purcel, AKA Mr Niel who does the comic Daisien also lost his foot last year due to diabetes. 2018 was the year of misplaced feet.

——-

I got a new sword :D
-no connection to the missing feet.
usedbooks at 5:35PM, March 4, 2019
(online)
I've filled out the on-boarding paperwork for the Blue Ridge Parkway job starting in May. Hoping to close on my new house by the end of the month. Two of the appliances don't work (dryer and range), so the seller is removing them for me. I can live without both temporarily, as there is a sturdy clothes line in the yard, and I have a large microwave.

My parents offered to buy me new ones, since they apparently need to use their Sears credit card anyway.

I am seriously looking forward to being able to do laundry without going downstairs and outside, waiting on other tenants, and cleaning other people's filth from the lint filter.
tupapayon at 7:56AM, March 11, 2019
(online)
@UB: make sure you're not moving into an Amityville like house.

@OzoneO: perhaps we should start an amputee cómic club. Keep playing with your swords and you might be able to join.
Ozoneocean at 12:10AM, March 13, 2019
(online)
Two things I hate:

1. People who refuse to get out of your face and let you get on with your thing.
- No, I don't want to chat right now, read the ****ing signs and pissoff!

2. People that insist on making every type of communication into a story; whether it's a request, a question, an answer, or a news article.
- Tell me the relevant simple facts first and THEN you can get into your stupid story. I have not the time nor patience to pick the sparse bits of useful knowledge from your massive, long, dogshit of a poorly thought out boring story.

Stories have their place, and they can be marvellous and entertaining! But that place is not in requests, questions, answers, or news articles.

-“Where's the masking tape?”

“I bought some on Tuesday. I normally buy the red tape, but they didn't have any so I got the blue with the green writing instead. I wonder why…”

-“Ok, but where's the tape?”

“I'm getting to that. Where was I? Um, I bought some on Tuesday. I normally buy red tape, but they didn't have any so…”

-“Argh! Kill me”

“Don't interrupt. I bought some on Tuesday. I normally buy the red tape, but they didn't have any…”
last edited on March 13, 2019 12:14AM
Amelius at 7:59AM, March 13, 2019
(offline)
(Man it's annoying when the thread's gonna page so it doesn't show you any previous posts!)
@Call Me Tom: That is such a shame! Their minis look really good, too. It seems like it's getting rough in the miniature business right now, SodaPop is closing down too, they made Super Dungeon Explore, which between that and Arcadia Quest, I liked SDE's minis a little better. SDE's problem was the rules were confusing and at some points made absolutely no sense.

@ozone: I know right! That's every recipe website, some inane story from some person with a really boring life waxing nostalgia for 5 paragraphs when I just want to know what seasonings I'm going to spill all over my stove for this meal. Apparently it's because you can't copyright recipes but you can if it's content included in a story? The news articles (scientific ones especially) are frustrating as all get out. I don't have time for the padding, and don't care what all the science people they interview LOOK like, just what science they did and what they found out!! Get on with it! Why is it relevant that we know what the science people look like? It's not a pageant!

(Edit- it didn't page, it's just being a jerk, and told me there's no posts when I posted this! whaaat)
last edited on March 13, 2019 8:00AM
Amelius at 1:41PM, March 13, 2019
(offline)
Oh definitely, a lot of them don't know what they are getting into with production costs and find the estimation they got from the company doesn't match what they got in the end, or distribution snags on top of that, and while they're working on fulfilling goals, they still have to pay and give their art teams something to do. SDE even sent an apology email out and a full rundown of the problems they ran into and where all the expenses went to.

We ordered some odd-sided dice from a site once and it took about a year or two to get them, thanks to the one solitary dice factory being in a log-jam on production for other companies. I've got a 12,16,18,14,7,5,9,3,24,11,22, and a 30 side die, and a nonstandard d4. Because!

I still like Kickstarter and crowdfunding for the good things we get that big companies won't take a chance on, but it does have a lot of issues and pitfalls. It's having to entice people with so many extras that is where people really dig their own graves and end up in debt.
Ozoneocean at 7:46PM, March 14, 2019
(online)
RE figures: I think 3D printing has ruined the market for a lot of companies. Plus people who dream big with the idea of mass-producing amazingly cheap models in plastic because they're cheap to make and ship, unlike the metal ones… But the moulds cost THOUSANDS so start-up costs are massive. Whereas metal might be more expensive for each piece and cost more to ship because of the weight, but they're super cheap to set up.

Amelius wrote:
@ozone: I know right! That's every recipe website, some inane story from some person with a really boring life waxing nostalgia for 5 paragraphs when I just want to know what seasonings I'm going to spill all over my stove for this meal. Apparently it's because you can't copyright recipes but you can if it's content included in a story? The news articles (scientific ones especially) are frustrating as all get out. I don't have time for the padding, and don't care what all the science people they interview LOOK like, just what science they did and what they found out!! Get on with it! Why is it relevant that we know what the science people look like? It's not a pageant!

Exactly! Very worst are tutorial videos. - Just show me how to do the thing, I don't need a 5 minute into on why you prefer windsor knots over other knots, I just want to tie the damn tie, I'm late enough for the thing as it is!

(That posts bug is a pain)
Genejoke at 3:16AM, March 20, 2019
(online)
Have had the worst few days, and I mean that without hyperbole. On Sunday my 16 year old niece went missing. In the early hours we were informed she may have taken her own life. It was confirmed Monday evening. The way she died conjours up horrible mental images and at times like this I wish I didn't have such a vivid imagination. It's only just beginning to sink in. Poor girl to have felt that bad so young. I know suicide is always tragic, but damn.
bravo1102 at 4:59AM, March 20, 2019
(offline)
I am so sorry. I know all the explanations and whys and wherefores but it doesn't make it any easier. There's often the feeling , “if only… because I could have helped.”

I've been told more than once that my words saved someone's life and I wonder what was it I said.

I've read that teen years and the 50s-60s for men have the highest suicide rate.

But I stop myself because I remember Hamlet's soliloquy “for in that sleep of death, what dreams may come when we've shuffled off this mortal coil,”
Genejoke at 6:02AM, March 20, 2019
(online)
Thanks Bravo, we've been through those thoughts and are beginning to accept that we couldn't have done more than we did. Obviously it's harder for my sister but Tbh my niece hid it really well. I thought she was at the run away fantasy stage.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon