Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2019! General discussion thread
Ozoneocean at 7:57PM, March 20, 2019
(online)
That's tragic man. Extremely tragic.
I'm sad for you and your family.
Ironscarf at 8:20AM, March 21, 2019
(offline)
I'm really saddened to hear that Genejoke. My daughter is sixteen and the thought of what you all must be going through, well I can't begin to imagine.
Banes at 10:31AM, March 21, 2019
(offline)
So sorry to hear about this Genejoke - I can’t imagine anything worse happening to a family. Wishing you all the best

Gunwallace at 1:01AM, March 22, 2019
(offline)
Sorry for you loss. That's a terrible tragedy for you and your family.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
El Cid at 7:29AM, March 22, 2019
(online)
Aw man, that's brutal. I just don't understand the mindset of someone who thinks that's the solution to their problems. My condolences. You guys will get through this.
usedbooks at 8:09AM, March 22, 2019
(online)
I'm so sorry, Genejoke.
Genejoke at 2:56PM, March 22, 2019
(online)
El Cid wrote:
Aw man, that's brutal. I just don't understand the mindset of someone who thinks that's the solution to their problems. My condolences. You guys will get through this.

To be honest, I'm not sure fully understanding the mindset is really possible. depression and anxiety often bring irrational thinking.
Genejoke at 2:57PM, March 22, 2019
(online)
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm doing okay, but it's been hard.
ayesinback at 4:42PM, March 23, 2019
(online)
I just saw your very sad news, Genejoke. I'm so sorry for how your niece must have been feeling, and what you and your family are going through. It's incredibly difficult to identify depression in another, particularly if that other doesn't want to be identified.

Try to be especially good to each other, and to yourself.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Ozoneocean at 8:02PM, March 25, 2019
(online)
The Zine-scene is apparently taking off again these days. weird. I can't keep up with the webcomic scene and now that… haha!
Who else here is doing Zines?
Genejoke at 1:32AM, March 26, 2019
(online)
Zines?
bravo1102 at 4:20AM, March 26, 2019
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
Zines?
Short for magazine. Usually a self published– well more than a newsletter and a hard copy for publishing or downloading as opposed to a website or blog even though the content could be similar.

I haven't done one since 1994 or so?

Tried a blog and just didn't keep up with it, my deviant art account is sorely neglected even though I have tons of content I could put there that just don't fit in my comics.

A zine? No thanks. Maybe I'll go on Instagram so I'll have another social media site for self promotion that I can ignore and neglect like my Facebook, deviant art and Twitter accounts. ;)
last edited on March 26, 2019 4:24AM
Ozoneocean at 6:27AM, March 26, 2019
(online)
I know right?
Passions can only be spread so thin…

So many times I feel like leaving facebook but I know I need it for all sorts of stuff so I can't. Damn social media!

I was chatting to Noelle (an erstwhile DDer) who has to wipe her account on FB due to family issues. She's huge in the zine-scene in Melbourne here in Australia. Hyenea Hell is massive in the Zine Scene in the states! And Gunwallace is massive in it in NZ. All the cool people are doing it.
last edited on March 26, 2019 6:28AM
fallopiancrusader at 6:39AM, March 26, 2019
(offline)
I remember zines from the 80's. Frequently handed out at punk concerts. Typically a bunch of xeroxed sheets folded in half and stapled together. Zine-style comic books are a perennial favorite at independent comic cons, like MOCCAfest
Ozoneocean at 8:00AM, March 26, 2019
(online)
That's exactly what they're doing.
People are also doing them more professionally too. It's a strange revival… Webcomics basically grew out of the tradition and are inherently superior for a lot of reasons but people are going back.

It's akin to the whole vinyl thing: records were a dead medium, inferior to CDs in every way, till online music distribution came along which devalued CDs because all they had over online music was the artwork and records do THAT aspect better.
The record revival was initially driven by hipsters because they wanted to separate themselves from the mass commodification of music and get a more “authentic” experience, and then the market followed (as well as a revival of the myths about sound quality).

Zines are similar… Webcomics are now so common, people are getting back to a more hand-done, original feel of work and a more personal experience by buying directly from the creator.
Genejoke at 11:22AM, March 26, 2019
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
I know right?
Passions can only be spread so thin…

So many times I feel like leaving facebook but I know I need it for all sorts of stuff so I can't. Damn social media!

I was chatting to Noelle (an erstwhile DDer) who has to wipe her account on FB due to family issues. She's huge in the zine-scene in Melbourne here in Australia. Hyenea Hell is massive in the Zine Scene in the states! And Gunwallace is massive in it in NZ. All the cool people are doing it.

I would love to ditch Facebook but too many family and friends are overseas it makes it easier to stay in touch.
bravo1102 at 11:32AM, March 26, 2019
(offline)
And a true audiophile will play a CD on top of the line equipment and then play vinyl and swear that the sound is more true than the CD. And run it through various equipment and there's less noise and feedback and distortion from the vinyl. And start talking about physical contact and the need for a super clean needle and my mind goes back to when I first heard Dark Side of the Moon on CD with headphones and I thought I was somehow inside the music. And I was totally sober and straight.

Audiophiles are weird. Especially when they talk about the superiority of 30 year old studio tape to digital recording. Yeah my eyes glaze over – but it was one way to pass a slow afternoon in the garage.
Ozoneocean at 9:16PM, March 26, 2019
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Audiophiles are weird.
It's a religious preoccupation XD

bravo1102 at 10:10AM, March 27, 2019
(offline)
So a 19th century engineer with his wife and child take a balloon ride. They get caught in a storm and end up in a tree. He builds a shelter there and tries to fix the balloon. He finds a group of orphans– except they're elfin with pointed ears sticking out the side if their head and completely adorable.

He tells them a story to cheer them up. They say he's a great storyteller. Hisvwide says that's Jules Verne. So the orphan elf's start calling him Jules Verne.

There are monsters in this world who kill elfs and the engineer builds machines to stop them. The orphans and he defeat them, explore the world and over time his children (he adopts the orphans and has more children who surprisingly are elfin. The ears appear at puberty) become kings and queens and marry into royal families and save many of the people in the world.

Years pass and the orphans and children now grown come to visit Jules on the anniversary of his arrival. He has saved the elfin people who are now thriving. His children (there are seven including five orphans. His real children marry two of the orphans) and grand children throw a party and he lines them up to embrace and kiss them all. He wants to go home with his elfin wife (his human wife died in the battles)and tells them how proud he is and how happy.

He's lived so long as Jules Verne he no longer remembers his real name. But he wants to go home. But finally his children convince him that this is his home and he should stay.

It was so sweet and the elfin orphans and the engineer teaching them and seeing them grow and recreate their world and it was a lovely story. I wished I remembered more of it or at least enough of the steampunk flying machines (inspired by the engineer's love of the works of Jules Verne) they use to rescue the world. Machines that fly and work partially on magic.

Anyway I wanted to record it and share it. It felt so good waking up from this marvelous story.

Ozoneocean at 6:00PM, March 27, 2019
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Anyway I wanted to record it and share it. It felt so good waking up from this marvelous story.
That could sell :D
Sounds like a brilliant idea for a series… Book series, movie and then TV series based on the film, all aimed at kids.
Brilliant idea!
bravo1102 at 5:52AM, March 28, 2019
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
That could sell :D
Sounds like a brilliant idea for a series… Book series, movie and then TV series based on the film, all aimed at kids.
Brilliant idea!
You believe I even came up with sale pitch synopsis? Connecticut Yankee in the Faerie Queen's court meets steampunk Jules Verne as done by Miyazaki.
usedbooks at 4:05PM, March 28, 2019
(online)
I close on my house tomorrow. It has been a nerve-wracking and insomnia-inducing process. I gave myself a sinus infection from crying.

Really super anxious to get out of my air-conditioning-less hundred-year-old apartment and into my hundred-year-old house with a brand new heat pump and windows with screens. (Not a moment too soon either. Weather is just starting to turn afternoon-uncomfortable.)
fallopiancrusader at 4:06PM, March 28, 2019
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
And a true audiophile will play a CD on top of the line equipment and then play vinyl and swear that the sound is more true than the CD. And run it through various equipment and there's less noise and feedback and distortion from the vinyl. And start talking about physical contact and the need for a super clean needle and my mind goes back to when I first heard Dark Side of the Moon on CD with headphones and I thought I was somehow inside the music. And I was totally sober and straight.

Audiophiles are weird. Especially when they talk about the superiority of 30 year old studio tape to digital recording. Yeah my eyes glaze over – but it was one way to pass a slow afternoon in the garage.

There was a sub-culture in the early 90's in Chicago and New York that was obsessed with 8 track tapes. Some friends of mine produced a zine called 8 track mind. I'm not sure if they are still active.
Ozoneocean at 9:01PM, April 1, 2019
(online)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
There was a sub-culture in the early 90's in Chicago and New York that was obsessed with 8 track tapes. Some friends of mine produced a zine called 8 track mind. I'm not sure if they are still active.
That made an interesting read!

———————

For my latest creative project I will make a pair of boots inspired by these from the Night's Watch painting:

I will cheat and modify a pair of ankle boots :)
That way I avoid the bother of stitching the upper to a sole.
Ozoneocean at 8:33PM, April 3, 2019
(online)
Spilt tea on my office desk, keyboard and tablet. The cup just slipped out of my hand -_-
Such a pain to clean up. It was a small spill, probably not more than 15ml but it spreads so far!
Ozoneocean at 6:16PM, April 4, 2019
(online)
Call Me Tom wrote:
Am I a bad person?
Of course not
Stop thinking that you are!
You're a jolly good old sort! A perfect bean. A man of the finest water!

Call Me Tom you are simply one of the best chaps around and I for one would love to have you around a LOT more!!!

You are a cool person, a GOOD person, a kind person, and a smart person.
Certainly NOT a bad person.
last edited on April 4, 2019 6:18PM
Genejoke at 9:21AM, April 6, 2019
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Call Me Tom wrote:
Am I a bad person?
Of course not

Call Me Tom you are simply one of the best chaps around and I for one would love to have you around a LOT more!!!

Genejoke at 9:22AM, April 6, 2019
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Call Me Tom wrote:
Am I a bad person?
Of course not

If you are asking, the answer is most likely no.
usedbooks at 6:44AM, April 7, 2019
(online)
I had a pet rat euthanized Thursday. He was three years old and had a degenerative nerve condition (causing hind leg paralysis). Three is basically the rat equivalent of 100. His elderly son passed away Wednesday.

Anyway, yesterday I decided to adopt a kitten. At three months old, he's past the “baby” stage and already has a personality (which includes a lot of purring, chewing my hands to shreds, and swatting and chewing on the dog). He's also neutered, vaccinated, and microchipped. I named him Zenigata.

Genejoke at 7:40AM, April 7, 2019
(online)
Awe kitty!

I'm in hospital with a spinal injury, waiting to find out if surgery is needed. Apparently I'm at threshold between it'll heal fine with rest or one wrong step and you're paralyzed.
I can't take more than a couple of stops and best case scenario is a few months of physio therapy.
It's proving to be one hell of a few weeks here.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon