Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2019! General discussion thread
BearinOz at 10:30PM, July 12, 2019
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
A few years from now I envisage myself sitting in an armchair in a forgotten corner of some institution, babbling incessantly to a series of invisible friends.

Everyone will just assume you're on the phone. Put a little earbud in your ear and no one will notice.

I'll probably have an app to take dictation. I still like the feeling of a keyboard.
I feel terribly let down by technology - I'd envisaged the full, slip-on, virtual reality bodysuit to “retire into”, with all sensations … we'd all be “talking to ourselves” in our suits, in our little cubicles, I thought… never happened. B\
Ironscarf at 9:47AM, July 14, 2019
(offline)
I'm going to Kensal Green Cemetery tomorrow, to take reference photos for my contribution to our hypothetical fundraiser comic. If the hypothetical comic doesn't happen, at least I'll have an exciting day amongst the mausoleums to remember.
AverageArtistAmber at 3:13AM, July 16, 2019
(offline)
Hey, um, I've got a bit of a dilemma at the moment.
So, I've been on hiatus from Demon Demolition Duo since December (Since I was finishing uni) and I wasn't sure whether to start it up again.

My formatting and art style has changed since the last uploads, and I have done a few of the new pages, so I could keep going.

However, there's a part of me that's considiering shelving the project for now and doing a couple of shorter comics instead. So I can start DemoDemo over some time in the future because I think it deserves better than the treatment I've been giving it.

So, what do you think?
Ozoneocean at 8:55PM, July 16, 2019
(online)
AverageArtistAmber wrote:
Hey, um, I've got a bit of a dilemma at the moment.
So, I've been on hiatus from Demon Demolition Duo since December (Since I was finishing uni) and I wasn't sure whether to start it up again.

My formatting and art style has changed since the last uploads, and I have done a few of the new pages, so I could keep going.

However, there's a part of me that's considiering shelving the project for now and doing a couple of shorter comics instead. So I can start DemoDemo over some time in the future because I think it deserves better than the treatment I've been giving it.

So, what do you think?
Role it into Demolition Duo as a spinoff :)
I do that all the time with Pinky TA.
AverageArtistAmber at 12:13AM, July 17, 2019
(offline)

I could try that. Maybe some of my stuff could be in the same “universe”?
Ozoneocean at 12:58AM, July 17, 2019
(online)
Exactly!
That way you don't need to set up the world again :)
It can be another tale from the same world.
bravo1102 at 1:02AM, July 17, 2019
(offline)

Always the same universe that way you only have to write the rules once. And a universe is vast lots and lots of room for lots of variety.

And according to science anything really can happen. The odds are pretty high but alternative selves can exist.
last edited on July 17, 2019 1:03AM
BearinOz at 2:54AM, July 17, 2019
(online)
Always the same universe that way you only have to write the rules once. And a universe is vast lots and lots of room for lots of variety.

And according to science anything really can happen. The odds are pretty high but alternative selves can exist.

Yeah, I've seen a school of thought that says every decision leads to the creation a of new pair of universes. That makes infinity rather large! Hahaha… it also means there's a bunch of great versions of me out, having a f#cking ball ! …but then probably some long dead on foreign reefs, or in 3rd world gutters B-)
bravo1102 at 4:32AM, July 17, 2019
(offline)
BearinOz wrote:

Yeah, I've seen a school of thought that says every decision leads to the creation a of new pair of universes. That makes infinity rather large! Hahaha… it also means there's a bunch of great versions of me out, having a f#cking ball ! …but then probably some long dead on foreign reefs, or in 3rd world gutters B-)

No. In a large enough population it is quite likely there is another you in this universe.

An example, in 10,000 years with trillions of humans across the universe there were any number that were your twin. Those are the numbers I work with in my comics for casting the same OCs across different stories, even if several are presented as actors playing a role the real person could have been their doppelganger.

Kind of like how Christopher Lee bore an uncanny resemblance to the life portraits of Vlad the Impaler.
last edited on July 17, 2019 4:37AM
BearinOz at 1:55AM, July 18, 2019
(online)
[

No. In a large enough population it is quite likely there is another you in this universe.

An example, in 10,000 years with trillions of humans across the universe there were any number that were your twin. Those are the numbers I work with in my comics for casting the same OCs across different stories, even if several are presented as actors playing a role the real person could have been their doppelganger.

Hmmm….actually, I think I might've had at least one, in the same bloody city ! Back in Cardiff, Wales, late 60s I constantly used to get people abusing me for not having spoken to them in the street, or seeing me in “my mini” (I've never owned one), with my “my blond girlfriend”, when I either didn't have one, or had a brunette - I mean really insistent it was me…it had to be, as I had my surfboard on the roof (there weren't more than a couple of hundred of us back then…or the same tee-shirt/ sweater/ whatever…it was f#cking bizarre and went on for a couple of years !
Ozoneocean at 9:56PM, July 21, 2019
(online)
Call Me Tom wrote:
Alright so I think I've worked out the cycle I keep going thru. It starts when I feel guilt from anyone saying something nice about what I'm making because it feels like I'm undeserving of praise. This than makes me seek out punishment to sate the guilt I'm feeling. Which than leads to people trying to help me with kindness that causes to more guilt that keeps feeding this cycle. Don't quite know where to go from here as I'm feeling guilty just talking about this.

When someone says something nice about your work just agree with them and say thanks :)
bravo1102 at 4:13PM, July 23, 2019
(offline)
Call Me Tom wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:
When someone says something nice about your work just agree with them and say thanks :)

That's easy to say when you've not been dragged beneath the black wave. Under there the kindest truths sound like hollow lies and the most cruel lies sound like the brightest truths.
Bite your tongue and let it remind you that the black wave does not reflect reality but only your own feelings. Know the perception is wrong and false. Force a smile and say “thank you” and remind yourself that you are worthy of praise and it can be just as true as the black wave.

It has to start somewhere and you have to let yourself accept praise as well as obsess over shortcomings. And work towards making that obsession less every day.
Ozoneocean at 7:12PM, July 23, 2019
(online)
Are you on medication? :(

———————-

OMG Boris Johnson is the new PM of the UK XD
It was bound to happen.

I'm not sure, but I think that countries like the USA and UK are more prone to super populist morons at the moment. It's what their domestic entertainment media LOVES. Those idiots strike a chord with the masses.
Ironscarf at 7:05AM, July 24, 2019
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:

OMG Boris Johnson is the new PM of the UK XD
It was bound to happen.

Another Eton mess, as if the last one wasn't bad enough.
Abt_Nihil at 8:15AM, July 24, 2019
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
Another Eton mess, as if the last one wasn't bad enough.
I just googled “Eton Mess” and it looked far more delicious than Boris Johnson.

ozoneocean wrote:
I'm not sure, but I think that countries like the USA and UK are more prone to super populist morons at the moment. It's what their domestic entertainment media LOVES. Those idiots strike a chord with the masses.
I'd say Trump and Johnson have more to do with unfortunate election systems (Hillary having been seen as a terrible choice, when she was the only other choice beside Trump, and Johnson not being elected by the populace at all AND riding the Brexit wave.) But populism has generally become frightfully popular lately.
last edited on July 24, 2019 8:20AM
Ozoneocean at 10:06AM, July 24, 2019
(online)
Abt_Nihil wrote:
I'd say Trump and Johnson have more to do with unfortunate election systems (Hillary having been seen as a terrible choice, when she was the only other choice beside Trump, and Johnson not being elected by the populace at all AND riding the Brexit wave.) But populism has generally become frightfully popular lately.

What I mean is that their parties pick them based on what they think will be popular with their electorates.

We had a spate of that here in Australia to a much lessor extent:
Both major parties went through a series of prime ministers (when each had their turn in power), based on what they thought would make them most electable.I think each party fielded 3 different people each, for a total of SIX different prime ministers in recent years. That is a record for us, it's simply never happened before.
last edited on July 24, 2019 10:07AM
bravo1102 at 12:02PM, July 24, 2019
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Abt_Nihil wrote:

What I mean is that their parties pick them based on what they think will be popular with their electorates.

We had a spate of that here in Australia to a much lessor extent:
Both major parties went through a series of prime ministers (when each had their turn in power), based on what they thought would make them most electable.I think each party fielded 3 different people each, for a total of SIX different prime ministers in recent years. That is a record for us, it's simply never happened before.

And in the US there are 24 people vying for the nomination of the Democratic party. Once you get past 9 or 10 the rest are just blurs. There is just too many for the size of the prospective electorate. If all things were equal each would get 4% of the polling? Laughable.
Ironscarf at 5:09AM, July 27, 2019
(offline)
Abt_Nihil wrote:

I was thinking of the ongoing political mess made in recent years by ex pupils of Eton school. If only they would stick to inventing puddings we would all be much better off.

It feels very strange not having a comic after all this time. I really want to advertise here for a mere $2!

Talking of ads, has anyone looked into this new alternative to Project Wonderful yet?
last edited on July 27, 2019 5:11AM
Ozoneocean at 6:15AM, July 27, 2019
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
Abt_Nihil wrote:

I was thinking of the ongoing political mess made in recent years by ex pupils of Eton school. If only they would stick to inventing puddings we would all be much better off.

It feels very strange not having a comic after all this time. I really want to advertise here for a mere $2!

Talking of ads, has anyone looked into this new alternative to Project Wonderful yet?

Oh god… another thing to take our money away T_T
Genejoke at 10:41AM, July 27, 2019
(online)
I'm not sure what to think about Boris Johnson as PM bit as Ozone said it was bound to happen. I wouldn't vote for BJ, I'm too left leaning for that, but I do consider him an improvement on Theresa May who was spectacularly awful. The pushing out of the EU no matter what worries me, but I guess at this point there's nothing to be done but see what plays out. Obviously Jeremy Corbyn is pushing for another election, which I doubt will happen, but even if it does I don't think he can win it. So we have BJ as PM for a few years at least, fingers crossed I can afford to emigrate in a couple of years.
bravo1102 at 12:31PM, July 27, 2019
(offline)

Well at least you have $2. I don't have that. You wonder why I haven't participated in any of the crowd funding?

No money for anything but bills.

And I now have high blood pressure. Yup, my genes finally caught up to me. Good thing is it might cut down my headaches.
Ironscarf at 4:37AM, July 30, 2019
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:

Well at least you have $2.

Actually no, I really don't, but that doesn't stop me wanting an ad. :)
Ozoneocean at 5:41AM, July 30, 2019
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
fingers crossed I can afford to emigrate in a couple of years.
Where would you emigrate too?

——————-

OMG I am sick of chatting to people online. All people are interested in doing is bloody monologuing! WTF? Has it always been this way and I didn't notice it because I was a weirdo?

I'm talking about private chat conversations here, not open posts.
Sure, there's back and forth with some people but they seem to be in the teeny minority. most people just seem to want a person to talk at for whatever reason. There's zero need for responses virtually. And don't bother making observations, offering insight or asking questions, just stand there and bathe under the torrent of inanity.

I really do wonder if I'm a strange exception in wanting back and fourth in a conversion… Because I know plenty of people who monologue at you in person too. Or is it just that most people are shit communicators?

I HATE feeling like I'm monologuing at someone- just talking at them. That makes me feel awful. That doesn't seem to be an issue for most though.
bravo1102 at 7:07AM, July 30, 2019
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Genejoke wrote:
fingers crossed I can afford to emigrate in a couple of years.
Where would you emigrate too?

——————-

OMG I am sick of chatting to people online. All people are interested in doing is bloody monologuing! WTF? Has it always been this way and I didn't notice it because I was a weirdo?

I'm talking about private chat conversations here, not open posts.
Sure, there's back and forth with some people but they seem to be in the teeny minority. most people just seem to want a person to talk at for whatever reason. There's zero need for responses virtually. And don't bother making observations, offering insight or asking questions, just stand there and bathe under the torrent of inanity.

I really do wonder if I'm a strange exception in wanting back and fourth in a conversion… Because I know plenty of people who monologue at you in person too. Or is it just that most people are shit communicators?

I HATE feeling like I'm monologuing at someone- just talking at them. That makes me feel awful. That doesn't seem to be an issue for most though.

Same here. But I tend to rattle on and it's always like the listener is just looking for a chance to cut me off and continue their speech.

That being said, over the years I've cone to like listening and have found that people are really grateful for someone to listen.

And I learn so much from listening.
Ozoneocean at 7:20AM, July 30, 2019
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
And I learn so much from listening.
There is a limit :)
And that limit is repetition. Once the person has reached the end of their Repertoire all that's left if for them to go over it again…
And again…
And again…
And again…
You can't learn much from that.

(BTW I think we all really love reading what you have to say even if you can seem like a wilful contrarian at times :D)

It also comes down to being “present”.
What I mean is that's more than saying “hi” or even saying anything, it's actually indicating that you're aware you're speaking to other living, breathing humans with independent minds. Too often we fall into the trap of just acting like we're speaking at constructs from our own minds.

Lonnehart was a great example of that. I really miss that guy, but it was like he was on a separate planet to the rest of us. He'd just pop in, say something unrelated to anything and then go away. Talking TO him was like talking at the ocean.
Ironscarf at 2:59PM, July 30, 2019
(offline)
I must be a good listener because for as long as I can remember people have been telling me the shocking details of their lives at great length. This may be because I never offer a word or expression of surprise or judgement, I don't know. It's all good material though.

I would suggest looking at it that way but yes, it does grow old quickly if they keep going over the same ground. I had this happen to me with one ex-friend and it became too much to continue.
last edited on July 30, 2019 3:00PM
BearinOz at 12:38AM, July 31, 2019
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
I must be a good listener because for as long as I can remember people have been telling me the shocking details of their lives at great length. This may be because I never offer a word or expression of surprise or judgement, I don't know. It's all good material though.
Hmmm… I must be too. I mentioned on a comic comment a week or so back, about being party to ‘gossip’ and assorted revelations from both male friends and colleagues, and female ones, over the decades. The work ones presumably from working odd hours in small mixed teams. I knew things about couples they didn't know about each other, it definitely is - all good material though B-) Maybe we're both “true neutral” alignment ! Hah ! My “Welsh druidic” background…
BearinOz at 12:54AM, July 31, 2019
(online)
OMG I am sick of chatting to people online 1. All people are interested in doing is bloody monologuing! WTF? Has it always been this way 2 and I didn't notice it because I was a weirdo?

I'm talking about private chat conversations here….3

I really do wonder if I'm a strange exception in wanting back and forth in a conversion 4… Because I know plenty of people who monologue at you in person too. Or is it just that most people are shit communicators? 5

I HATE feeling like I'm monologuing at someone- 6 just talking at them. That makes me feel awful. That doesn't seem to be an issue for most though. 7
…and 1 yes, 2 no, 3 yes, 4 no. 5 Yes ! 6 Yes… 7 no. Now there's great communication B-)
It wasn't always…and I go back pre-browser ! The irony of all the hi-tech comms devices…and no-one around the table in the coffee shop is communicating with each other (at least verbally) probably taking shots of the cheesecake and posting somewhere. Or texting someone in Moscow . I hate not getting a response - and guilty if I don't give one !
bravo1102 at 1:06AM, July 31, 2019
(offline)
When I hear the same story there are times, I listen for the changes the person has made since last time.

Besides it's not all about me. All humans need to talk to someone and it might as well be me.

There's always another point of view and mine may not be the right one. So the mind has to remain open to possibilities. It's been a long road to get here.
Ozoneocean at 2:32AM, July 31, 2019
(online)
BearinOz wrote:
OMG I am sick of chatting to people online 1. All people are interested in doing is bloody monologuing! WTF? Has it always been this way 2 and I didn't notice it because I was a weirdo?

I'm talking about private chat conversations here….3

I really do wonder if I'm a strange exception in wanting back and forth in a conversion 4… Because I know plenty of people who monologue at you in person too. Or is it just that most people are shit communicators? 5

I HATE feeling like I'm monologuing at someone- 6 just talking at them. That makes me feel awful. That doesn't seem to be an issue for most though. 7
…and 1 yes, 2 no, 3 yes, 4 no. 5 Yes ! 6 Yes… 7 no. Now there's great communication B-)
It wasn't always…and I go back pre-browser ! The irony of all the hi-tech comms devices…and no-one around the table in the coffee shop is communicating with each other (at least verbally) probably taking shots of the cheesecake and posting somewhere. Or texting someone in Moscow . I hate not getting a response - and guilty if I don't give one !

Hahaha! Exactly!
But I don't mind people using their phones and tablets as long as they're extending their range of communication… unless they're ignoring their partner to do it.

@Bravo and Scarf- I'm talking about conversation as opposed to being a human dear diary. If you could just as easily be replaced by a page in a notebook for a bathroom wall then there's not much point to you being there. :)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon