Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Funny, stupid words and things specific to your country, region whatever...?
seventy2 at 9:39AM, Aug. 2, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
seventy2
i always thought it would be more like fesh and cheps.
Eh, could be… I dunno, I'd have to get a Kiwi and ask him how I sound

that's how crocodile Dundee sounds :P
———————–

also regarding my accent: i spent my first 8 years in florida, which isn't known for having a “seperate” accent in america. i spent 4 in arkansas, but that southern accent only comes out when i speak slow. Mostly when giving people proper spellings of things or numbers. so when i talk over a radio, it comes out heavily. go job! anyways, i've spent the other 11 in a half and half with indiana, and nebraska, also not known for their accents. so unless i speak slowly, no-one knows where i'm from.

tl:dr
i've been all over, and majority of non proper people add the “stressed a” sound to alot of words. not just my region.

does anyone outside america say “tattle-tail”?
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
Ozoneocean at 10:07AM, Aug. 2, 2009
(online)
You're in the airforce. On all the old cartoons and stuff, the guy on the other end of the radio ALWAYS had to have a laconic southern drawl.
It's the rukes.
seventy2
Nope. We just say “snitch” and “dobber”.
——————

My accent changes a bit- When I'm talking to Americans it gets more Orst-ray-lee-an. But when I'm woofing on, expostulating theories at some great length (usually when I'm a but drunk at a party), people think I sound English… my voice takes on this pretentious posh quality. I picked that up when I was little, watching stuff like “To the Manor Born” and “The Good Life”, and trying to imitate Kenneth Williams in the Carry On films.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
HippieVan at 10:12AM, Aug. 2, 2009
(online)
seventy2

In Canada we do.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
seventy2 at 1:35PM, Aug. 2, 2009
(online)
Hippie Van
seventy2

In Canada we do.

canada, is just the 51st state.
facara
Faliat at 8:36PM, Aug. 2, 2009
(offline)
Here's a few phrases and words I could bring into this post.

Scooby : Rhyming slang. Scooby Doo rhymes with clue.
“A don't huv a Scooby.” - “I don't know.”

Tube : Idiot.
“Ya tube!” - “ You idiot!”

Manky: Dirty/Smelly
“Yur hauns are pure Manky, by the way!” - “Your hands are very dirty, you know.”

Bam: Mentally Challenged Person.
“Wit ya daen, ya bam?” - “What are you doing you mentally challenged person?”

Boak (Boke): To vomit or gag.
“Yur manky dug is makin' me boke!” - “Your smelly dog is making me gag.”

F**kup: Shut the f**k up.
“F**kup ya tube, ye!” - “Shut the f**k up, you idiot you!”

I'll add more later…

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
seventy2 at 9:50AM, Aug. 4, 2009
(online)
Hoss-a crappy pronunciation of horse.
meant for people who are built like a good workhorse. muscled, hard workers, etc.
facara
Ozoneocean at 10:07AM, Aug. 4, 2009
(online)
seventy2
meant for people who are built like a good workhorse. muscled, hard workers, etc.
That probably has something to do with “Hoss” from Bonanza I reckon. That show was MEGA popular at one time and Hoss was quite well known for being a massive guy.
Croi Dhubh at 10:57AM, Aug. 5, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
seventy2
That probably has something to do with “Hoss” from Bonanza I reckon. That show was MEGA popular at one time and Hoss was quite well known for being a massive guy.
More likely to do with Dukes of Hazard and “Boss Hoss”.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:55AM
Faliat at 5:27PM, Aug. 5, 2009
(offline)
Here's a few more oddities.

Chib: Stab
“Ma pal, Lewis got chibbed in the heid last week.” - “My friend, Lewis was stabbed in the head last week.”

Mind: Remember - As well as having the traditional English meaning, it is also a verb.
“Mind that auld guy that used tae live over the road? His dug got slashed.” - “Remember the old man that used to live over the road? His dog got cut with a knife.

Dinghy/ied: To ignore, be ignored or having nobody care either way.
”Haw! Dinghied!“ - ”Ha! You've just been ignored!“

Nigel/ed: Being left on your own or left to wait for longer than expected for someone to turn up.
”Wit did ya dae tae get pure Nigeled?“ - ”What did you to to get left alone like this?“

Banjo: Batter. - As well as the term for the musical instrument, it is also used as a term for beating someone up.
”Ma maw went mental and banjoed me last night.“ - ”My mum went crazy and beat me up last night.“

Bass: Bastard. - As well as the regular meaning for the fish, it is a shortened, friendlier and more PG rated version of the old insult which no longer has any potency since a lot of people these days are one. At least where I was from.
”Where's ma bucky, ya bass?“ - ”Where's my Buckfast, you bastard?"

Again, i'll bring up more when I think of them. I'm less likely to come across reminders down here so bear with me.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Ozoneocean at 5:47PM, Aug. 5, 2009
(online)
Croi Dhubh
ozoneocean
seventy2
More likely to do with Dukes of Hazard and “Boss Hoss”.
Except that was "Boss Hogg" ;)
seventy2 at 2:31AM, Aug. 6, 2009
(online)
i just made one up. a phrase.

“they don't send superman to water gardens” they don't send an expert to do something easy.

me and the wife were watching TV and the gI joe commercial came on, and she said “i'd be happier about you training for your new job, if they had those suits”
and i responded with “are you kidding? they'd send me to super dangerous places if we had those” and then she was all like “why” and then i responded with “they don't send superman to water gardens”
facara
Ozoneocean at 3:21AM, Aug. 6, 2009
(online)
seventy2
and then she was all like “why” and then i responded with “they don't send superman to water gardens”
lol!
Brilliant! ^___^

Now who says Aluminium and who says Aluminum?
Personally, I prefer the former, but that's because I was brought up with it. I suppose whichever you were raised with is the one prefer more…?
Ironscarf at 3:30AM, Aug. 6, 2009
(offline)
Ozoneocean
I suppose whichever you were raised with is the one prefer more…?

It's Vegemite/Marmite again!
Actually, I didn't realise ‘til just now that aluminum was actually a real word; I thought it was just mispronouncinination. I’d have to go with aluminium as I don't want to see that sort of thing encouraged: I mean, titanum? aquarum? it gives me a pain in the cranum. :(

I sometimes fail to be understood when I ask for cobs. Cobs are bread rolls, right?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
AQua_ng at 9:55AM, Aug. 6, 2009
(offline)
Whaaaaaaat. I thought Sulphur/Sulfur was bad enough, but Aluminum is actually a word?

I am shocked. SHOCKED.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon