Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The 2009 Rant, Vent, and Share thread
Skullbie at 12:54AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
So we've not only found water on the moon but also another planet that seems to be composed of entirely water from just one months use of the new telescope for finding earth-like planets.

What if water covered planets are extremely common? We've just started to find extrasolar planets in this last 10 years, what if we find alien life in this lifetime?? God the thought is so incredible i hope it happens before i die :( (since virtual reality will apparently not be invented until i'm dead)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
Ozoneocean at 2:21AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
bravo1102
snow driving
Ew. That will never, ever happen here, but I think I'd still like it if it did :)
Skullbie
what if we find alien life in this lifetime??
How? I can't imagine a telescope being that good… Maybe if we had a transmission then we'd have a sort of proof. Or maybe if they came to us? But I don't know how we could find them otherwise, unless we have some new fantastic unimagined technology coming along to help us. I hope we do though ^_^

———————–
Two things-
Today I had a severe headache, but I still went to work anyway. The pills weren't killing it, they just made me tired and a little floaty. A bit too floaty probably since when the ladies in the office were gossiping for the 1 billionth time about Tiger Woods and his innumerable marital infidelities and happened to ask me whether I honestly thought that sort of bad behaviour was justified I just burst out laughing and said that it was really no body's business but his own, that Tiger Woods was just a stupid sporting celeb and I couldn't care less about anything to do with him, especially whether he sleeps around or not. And then laughed and laughed. T_T

I just couldn't help it. That all just burst out. Between the crazy pills and the terrible head pain it's hard to be tactful. Thank heavens I go on holiday soon!

Second thing-
So I love my two hussar jackets, all black with silver lace. They're great and I've got most of the rest of the uniform for them. But I've been searching around the net for some reason, trying to find other hussar jackets for sale. Alarmingly it seems there are crappier, cheaper, simplified versions for sale as fashion items at the moment. Most alarmingly of ALL is that an Emo band called “My Chemical Romance” wore black and sliver versions similar to my own jackets (except cheaper looking)!
Emo of all things Gah!

At least I know mine aren't just mockups like those.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
Ironscarf at 2:35AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(offline)
Ozoneocean
Alarmingly it seems there are crappier, cheaper, simplified versions for sale as fashion items at the moment.

If you'd been chewing on fashiontoast as I recommended, you'd have known that all kinds of faux military and band jackets have been doing the rounds for some time. Why do you think my new character Emily is wearing one?

Honestly, it doesn't take long to polish off a slice of fashiontoastover breakfast: you owe it to yourself.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
Skullbie at 2:36AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
bravo1102
snow driving
Ew. That will never, ever happen here, but I think I'd still like it if it did :)
Skullbie
what if we find alien life in this lifetime??
How? I can't imagine a telescope being that good… Maybe if we had a transmission then we'd have a sort of proof. Or maybe if they came to us? But I don't know how we could find them otherwise, unless we have some new fantastic unimagined technology coming along to help us. I hope we do though ^_^

That's the thing though, that earth-finding telescope was launched only a month ago and it's already found a water planet 40 lightyears away. And the first extrasolar planet was discovered barely a decade ago. Technology is getting so insane and powerful who knows what it'll be capable of doing in 2030 *foams at mouth*

Ozoneocean at 3:38AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
Ironscarf
fashiontoast
VERY interesting stuff! ^^
Skullbie
Technology is getting so insane and powerful
Less the tech and more the clever people working out new ways to interpret the data in a way that'll show if there's a planet or not.

But yep, you're right. ^_^
At the rate they're going they could indeed work out a way to see if there's life or not out there, depending on how they look at the data.

———————–
ARGH! Had to edit this post something like 3 times so it wouldn't sound so arrogant and dickish -_-
seventy2 at 7:29AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
We've already began the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence.

This is a program which uses any home computer to process the incredible amount of data constantly being received from outer space.
In 2004, there were 2 unexplained spikes in the RF….however, scientists did a mathmetical calculation of the trajectory of the signal….and it came from a binary star system with “No possible chance of an occupied planet.”

On top of that, the government is hiding something…
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
Ozoneocean at 8:31AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
seventy2
We've already began the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence.
That's true… But it's based on the assumption that there's “intelligent” life somewhere that will be using that particular kind of EM radiation to communicate with and that it will intercept earth during our lifetimes. That's all pretty chancy really :(

It's passive detection based on hope. Whereas what Skull is imagining is a more active search. If there was any possible way to factor in signs of life to the current planet searching methods, I'd be pretty amazed because I've no conception of how they'd do it… But if they could, it'd be pretty bloody amazing. And even if all the planets we've detected so far didn't have any life (and most of them wouldn't), at least we could cross them off the list.
lothar at 8:35AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean

hidden away withen in the rocks of these deserts are a people known as the FREMEN
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Ozoneocean at 9:32AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
lothar
ozoneocean

hidden away withen in the rocks of these deserts are a people known as the FREMEN
lol! Fixed. :)
lothar at 10:12AM, Dec. 22, 2009
(offline)
hehehehe

the spice !!!!!!!!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
skoolmunkee at 12:16PM, Dec. 22, 2009
(offline)
Now they look like the somewhat grown up versions of those creepy mind control kids from…. that one movie.

I have an ikea table and 2 bookcase doors (for bookcases I already own) that I've intended to put together for a while now… it would have involved some moving about of house stuff, but I didn't think it was too much. 3.5 hours later I was finally done. I ended up having to dismantle a deck-style armchair and the old unwanted table, move 2 bookcases around, relocate some further shelves' worth of stuff, dig the spare dining chair out of the understair closet (and then refit things into the closet), move my drawing table, fineagle with some wall sockets and power strips, and cart some stuff to the car boot in anticipation of a trip to the tip…. and that time also didn't include the ‘Oh, I should clean/fix this while I’m at it' things I also did.

Still, my house is tidier now. Somehow the bookcase doors make the rooms look more boring though… seeing the book spines was more interesting to look at, but cat hair and dust and stuff kept blowing into them. :[
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
Ironscarf at 2:16PM, Dec. 22, 2009
(offline)
Skoolmunkee
those creepy mind control kids from…. that one movie.
Don't remind me: I still have nightmares…

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
seventy2 at 7:30PM, Dec. 22, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
It's passive detection based on hope. Whereas what Skull is imagining is a more active search. If there was any possible way to factor in signs of life to the current planet searching methods, I'd be pretty amazed because I've no conception of how they'd do it… But if they could, it'd be pretty bloody amazing. And even if all the planets we've detected so far didn't have any life (and most of them wouldn't), at least we could cross them off the list.

Passive it may be, but It is still easier than searching.

RF is everywhere, even without us transmitting our own, we get it from the sun the earth, other planets and stars. It reacts and looks a certain way. But when it is Modulated, then it is super easy to tell the difference. The problem then lies within extracting the intelligence off the signal. But having a signal with intelligence then becomes proof positive.

Going out and searching each planet would take longer…

—————-

I drew Ulquiorra last night, but my scanners drivers don't work with the wifes computer so i can't show it off….
facara
Ozoneocean at 1:09AM, Dec. 23, 2009
(online)
RF is everywhere, true, because it's just a part of the natural world. Thinking of the odds of artificially emitted RF aimed at you from somewhere in the universe is very remote when you not only factor in the size of the universe, but the time-scales involved. -It travels at what? Just under the speed of light? And how many millions of years would that take to reach us from the nearest stars?
How many more millions from the ones farther away?
In what part of that time would life reach a point when it could do things with RF, and then probably eventually die out?
What are the chances that intelligent life would even evolve in such a way that they would need to utilise RF the way we do?
Humans have only been able to scan those intelligently for about 100 years at the outside. But we've only been really looking for outside stuff for about 60 years or so.
There could have been signals sent our way before we were even evolved and we'll never know- those alien civilisations having been and gone…

In the end, our window for receiving alien transmission is so amazingly terribly narrow that even if signals were sent out pretty commonly throughout the universe by life everywhere (when it reached that stage), it would still be very lucky if we could pick them up. -not only because they wouldn't always be directed at us, but because they could have reached us and been no more in the last few million years already, or could be yet to come, when both we and the original senders are no more.

Prety awesome to think about really o_o

————————

Almost Christmas time! ^___^
I just got my own Christmas present from E-bay today! yet ANOTHER sabre… But it's the nicest one yet, better than the other two. It's the proper French Hussar style, VERY shiny and pretty, lovely balance to the weapon, very comfortable guard… Nicely made, AND it was cheaper than the other two, I was a great auction piece ^^
So now I've got my nice pretty shiny Hussard sabre, my rougher antiqued looking sabre, and the big ginormous heavy simple but nice looking sabre.
skoolmunkee at 4:10AM, Dec. 23, 2009
(offline)
My christmas present to myself this year was the 6-season box set of Oz, and one of those back massagers which you put on a chair. It has rolly balls that go up and down your back and can do different stuff on the remote control. also it is heated. So my office chair will undergo increased awesomeness once the thig gets here. I will be happy to sit on my butt and work for hours!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
gullas at 8:25AM, Dec. 23, 2009
(offline)
Well hopefully you all 'have yer wonderfull christmas time… I myself will be celebrating it tomorrow(yup, the magic happens around here on the 24th.)
:Þ

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
seventy2 at 9:37AM, Dec. 23, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean

It doesn't even have to be aimed at you….like the 1932 berlin olympics….who knows where that will end up? it was just broadcasted to the entire world, solar system….galaxy…universe.

We have light from 13 billion ly away….so given that, and that it only took us 65 million regular years to evolve into what we are today….what does that say about life on other planets?

also there are recievers for this all around the world,so it's not like we're only looking from whereever utah is pointing.

Modulated Rf is easily distinguishable from natural….trust me, it may or may not be my job :)
facara
Ozoneocean at 2:09PM, Dec. 23, 2009
(online)
seventy2
We have light from 13 billion ly away….so given that, and that it only took us 65 million regular years to evolve into what we are today….what does that say about life on other planets?
Not much unfortunately :(

It does matter where where it's pointed too in that RF isn't broadcast through a planet to begin with. And after that you have suns and various things in the way all over the place.
And still only a merge 60 year window VS the multi-million year timescales involved. Unfortunately we haven't had any call waiting or messaging service in our galaxy over the last couple of billion years. :(

skoolmunkee
So my office chair will undergo increased awesomeness
what a pampered bottom!!!!
HippieVan at 5:23PM, Dec. 23, 2009
(online)
Just got back from a cabin we were staying at for a few days. I wasn't meant to come back until tomorrow but I had a stinkin allergic reaction and had to come back to the city because there's no hospital out there. Fortunately it wasn't too bad, I caught it in time so I didn't even get to the throwing up part. :)
And my parent's presents finally came in the mail!
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
bravo1102 at 12:56AM, Dec. 24, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
Unfortunately we haven't had any call waiting or messaging service in our galaxy over the last couple of billion years. :(

There is but it seems only the dolphins can access it. One showed me something about an interstellar highway construction project. Luckily I had my towel.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Skullbie at 10:01AM, Dec. 24, 2009
(online)
Well mom said that this was ‘the christmas that diarrhea made~!:O ’ so i guess no tablet. I got legos for my x-mas eve present though lol.

seventy2 at 8:39PM, Dec. 25, 2009
(online)
it's a christmas miracle! my computer is running…. with a new harddrive
facara
crocty at 4:48AM, Dec. 26, 2009
(offline)
Hm…I find a lot of threads I post in suddenly die.
And if they don't everyone ignores me!

I mean, I'm not asking for attention, just that at the sight of me you don't say “OH SHIT TIME To ABANDON THREAD D:”

…Although it's probably an unfortunate coincidence, I'm sure…Right?

OH SHIT PIKMIN IS TOUGH. Stupid yellow pikmin dying a lot….
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
Ozoneocean at 5:17AM, Dec. 26, 2009
(online)
crocty
OH SHIT TIME To ABANDON THREAD D:
gullas at 6:21AM, Dec. 26, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
crocty
FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU-
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
bravo1102 at 7:04AM, Dec. 26, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
crocty

Nah, give this thread its last five days before the 2010 Rant, Share and Vent thread begins.

So I worked Christmas and missed out on all the family get togethers, plus I'll be doing New Years and miss all that too. But I get time and a half holiday pay.

Christmas was very quiet and when making my rounds I entertained myself by reciting the dialogue from the 1951 Alister Sim A Christmas Carol

Someone suggested I shouldn't give up on that webcomic I stopped four months ago. So I started re-write #11 just on a goof. lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Skullbie at 10:13AM, Dec. 26, 2009
(online)
Lol i'm playing morrowind and there's this mean cockatiel in a cage next to me who gives me a menacing look now and then. So when he tries to climb up his cage from the bottom i move my hand towards him and he quickly climbs back down. We do this 5x til he moves to the next side of the cage where it begins again.

He's totally tsundere though, when i ignore him he goes to the bottom again and does that lame bird sway and squack that my parakeet does for attention.
Chernobog at 11:15AM, Dec. 26, 2009
(offline)
Been assembling a bookcase with glass windows my mother wanted. Now I find out the thing is a complete piece of chinese crap. There's a bunch of random shaped nodules being used for screws, except they're not meant to fasten to anything. In other words, the thing is designed like a set of lincoln logs, minus the stability. The backboard is held together with a strip of tape!

She's out of the house now so when she gets back I have to see if she can get her money back on this thing. There's no way in hell this was worth $90. If they used actual screws or nails, it might not be so bad, but it's like they just picked random objects to be fasteners. The slots don't even match properly.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
I Am The 1337 Master at 11:22AM, Dec. 26, 2009
(offline)
bravo1102
ozoneocean
crocty

Nah, give this thread its last five days before the 2010 Rant, Share and Vent thread begins.

Oh noes! I gotta rant about something!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
crocty at 12:42PM, Dec. 26, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
crocty
Gah, stupid shift key.
Need to start using caps lock I guess, this shift key sometimes refuses to work.

Oh well! It's official that all the games I got for Christmas are awesome. Bowser is so kickass in his inside story!
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon