Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The 2009 Rant, Vent, and Share thread
seventy2 at 10:18PM, Dec. 28, 2009
(online)
i should be sleeping. why am i not sleeping? why is every light so bright? why is every sound so loud? why is it so hot?why can't the pillow stay still?

why is the gym broken?

too much energy. no gym in 5 days. i've done not nearly even 1/4 of the work i would have…gym open soon….
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
PIT_FACE at 12:36AM, Dec. 29, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
PIT_FACE
I JUST TALKED TO DAVE MUSTAINE IN THE MEGADETH CHAT BOARDS! EAT MY GRITZ SUCKERS!
Did he ask you what you were wearing? ^__^

no, but he did call me an some of the other droogs dirty diapered zombies, so i drew this and stuck in on his boards! haha.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
Aurora Moon at 1:02AM, Dec. 29, 2009
(offline)
I finally got around to watching Star trek on DVD.

I friggin' love it. It pretty much gave me an fan-orasgam. :P

I'm off to pester my friends on msn with sylar-spock jokes. :P
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Ozoneocean at 1:37AM, Dec. 29, 2009
(online)
PIT_FACE
no, but he did call me an some of the other droogs dirty diapered zombies, so i drew this and stuck in on his boards! haha.
That's hilarious and disgusting at the same time. T___T
Aurora Moon
fan-orasgam.
That sounds messy but cooling.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
Skullbie at 1:59AM, Dec. 29, 2009
(online)
Aurora Moon
I finally got around to watching Star trek on DVD.

I friggin' love it. It pretty much gave me an fan-orasgam. :P

I'm off to pester my friends on msn with sylar-spock jokes. :P
Did you get that white boxset with the cool design?

I got a really cool name thought up for this comic I'm doing, definition is really relevant too :3

I'm thinking of putting up an ad to be an inker for someone elses comic, but i'm worried all i'll get are really loose anime styles that are hard to ink clearly. Eh maybe i should just focus on my own comics :/
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
skoolmunkee at 2:28AM, Dec. 29, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
Maybe because they're not in “full HD”? Not all digital tv is in full HD so on a HD TV it doesn't look perfect. Also, without an upscaling DVD player (and even with it often), Normal DVDs can look pretty grainy at times.
With the TV it could also be reception?
It's not reception as the stations are getting full… level thingies most of the time (I can check with my remote). Although I do seem to be missing a number of key stations (mosly the BBCs), that may be because they're not broadcasting in this area yet (switchover here isn't til 2011). I'll just use the analog for bbc :3

I think it's just because they're the freely broadcast digital stations. If I had digital satellite service or something, with HD stations, they'd look better. I think these stations are specifically meant to be streamlined so they can fit as many into a normal broadcast range as possible. Or something. I was watching the matrix last night and pretty much stopped noticing, except for a few blips when the signal was lost.

I dunno about DVD player upscaling, though it's only about 6 months old and uses an HDMI cable so I guess it would? I'll have to look up the model. I had an old dvd (muppet christmas carol) in the player to test it and it looked a little blurry, but I'm guessing that's because A: it's an old movie on a bargain dvd and B: the tv was on ‘auto’ resoltion, when I changed them around some looked better than others for stretching, etc. Today I'm going to try some newer dvds.

Video games though, they look amazing! Everything looks really big and clear. I can finally read the text on some of them, haha. :3 Borderlands is even more enjoyable now that I can tell wtf some of those numbers and symbols are in my menus
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
seventy2 at 4:57AM, Dec. 29, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee

if by broad cast, you actually mean you're using an antenna to pick up the channels then what you may be seeing is interference. even when it seems you have full bars. (like ozone hinted at)
then again it may be the stations themselves. i have cable, and the really poor (ie: the spanish channel, the religion channel etc) are the only ones i see grainy anymore….not that i watch those channels or anything…

i'm feeling sick. dang it for sleeping weird the last couple of days…..
facara
Ozoneocean at 6:58AM, Dec. 29, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
Hehehe, messed up quote ^^

I would say the issue is most likely to be non HD digital channels then. -Since interference or poor signal is pretty obvious.
I'm surprised that the BBC isn't broadcasting to your area. Those would be the best channels!
I get crap reception for almost all the digital channels here. There's only 1 HD channel that I get really well and it's always full of crap and ads so there's no point watching it :(
So it's DVDs for me too ^^

I got an up-scaling DVD player sometime this year as well, but the difference isn't that marked. Plus- it only upscales when using the HDMI cable, not component cables (which technically should not mater because HDMI is only better in that it's a single cable), and when the TV is using the HDMI cable it won't let me adjust the aspect of the picture- meaning that older 4:3 ratio DVDs have to be viewed via component (so not up-scaled) in order to avoid the picture being horizontally stretched. –__–

—————–
Speaking of DVDs and picture quality- the Jeeves and Wooster set I got for Christmas has quite grainy footage and faded colours. It looks like the show was filmed on 16m in the mid 70's some time… When it was actually filmed between 91 and 93!
A pretty bloody shockingly crap result considering!
bravo1102 at 9:29AM, Dec. 29, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
I'd be all in favour of that, but Skool is right: the downfall of this thread is in its title! Stupid things has a built in use by date. >___<

—————–

It's almost 2010 and almost no one goes about in skin tight silver costumes with silver rubber boots on! This is a travesty. We should start a fashion movement.

Singing groups tried that in the 1970s. It didn't catch on. :(

Broadway is still trying though. Momma Mia!

I went and saw it last night on B'Way. Beat the living piss out of the movie especially when they did encore Waterloo in full disco mode.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
skoolmunkee at 10:55AM, Dec. 29, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
I would say the issue is most likely to be non HD digital channels then. -Since interference or poor signal is pretty obvious.
I'm surprised that the BBC isn't broadcasting to your area. Those would be the best channels!
I actually checked my tv against a list of digital stations and I'm missing a couple besides bbc. I can't figure why I'd be missing all the BBCs specifically though (there's 4 of them). I would have thought all the digital stations are coming through the nearby rebroadcast station. So, that's why I figured those just weren't here yet… maybe? I had to re-detect the channels today when I turned the TV on. So maybe it is just the antenna. I've got a little thing to put in the window since the roof aerial is for analog. I'd get better reception via cable or satellite, but there's no way I'm paying for tv I rarely watch. I got enough bills. T_T

Took more stuff to the household recycling centre today, my house is now pretty much free of all the random stuff I didn't want to make a trip for, mfc from old ikea furniture, plus some big cardboard boxes and an old tv. :] Just need to sell that old exercise bike somehow, maybe the grocery store bulletin board… With the new table and tv downstairs, some bookshelf doors and a bit of furniture rearranging upstairs, home feels a bit ‘new’ :]

I am thoroughly enjoying my 2-week holiday. Hopefully I will be ready and eager to get back to work next week (because there's a lot that needs to get done quickly). I had hoped to get myself going on art and comics over the break, but it felt too much like work… and I REALLY need to feel like I'm on vacation here before work starts back up.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Aurora Borealis at 11:14AM, Dec. 29, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Speaking of DVDs and picture quality- the Jeeves and Wooster set I got for Christmas has quite grainy footage and faded colours. It looks like the show was filmed on 16m in the mid 70's some time… When it was actually filmed between 91 and 93!
A pretty bloody shockingly crap result considering!
Well, at least it exists. Imagine what would have happened if it was shot in the 60s. Hint: a lot of british shows from that period are gone, because no one thought to store copies for the future. Two examples being “Do Not Adjust Your Set” and “At Last the 1948 Show” (both pre-Monty Python shows and both missing most of their episodes because of that).

- - - - - - - - - - -

Working on a website for the second day already. It's shaping up pretty nicely at this point :D

Still some more work left to do.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
I Am The 1337 Master at 1:04PM, Dec. 29, 2009
(offline)
To go off topic I just had to load the firewood at my house. My little brother helped but as usual, he's no help. Now the freaking woodstove is defrosting me. Is that just stupid or something? I went outside in the freezing cold to move the wood onto a stupid little rack on my porch all to come inside and move it into the fire where it burns, not coming out. Why can't anything make sense anymore?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
Lonnehart at 4:38PM, Dec. 29, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Lonnehart
it was asked that not a thing on it be changed.
They should've. The plastic wheel arches and the black frame between the body and the roof looks so lame

You gotta admit that it's a cute little car though… cuter than the Volkswagen Beetle. :)

Also learned that the guy who made the F1 McLaren didn't like the Buggati(spelling) Veyron very much. Something about how the car was a pointless exercise of speed… I wonder what he must've thought when the SSC Aero came out though…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Ozoneocean at 6:58AM, Dec. 30, 2009
(online)
Lonnehart
You gotta admit that it's a cute little car though… cuter than the Volkswagen Beetle
It's cute, but it'd look 45% less cheap with frames the same colour as the rest of the car and no plastic wheel arches :)

SSC Aero… that is a pretty car, much nicer than the Buggatii Veyron . EW! The anachronistic front grill looks SHITE on that body.
skoolmunkee
I've got a little thing to put in the window since the roof aerial is for analog.
old style antennas will pick up digital TV fine. I'd try hooking the old antenna to the new TV and seeing if you get any more channels ^_^

Here's some more technical info about things… at least how it pertains to the U.S. but I'm sure it's pretty similar everywhere:
digital TV signals link

My main trouble here is a crappy old, old TV aerial with old cabling and bad line of sight from the transmitters. Digital TV can have brilliant picture quality, but it's useless if you can't get a signal. Digital TV signals are not as good as the older ones when it comes to the ease of picking them up. :(
seventy2 at 9:03AM, Dec. 30, 2009
(online)
can't find motivation for….gym….must….go….
facara
Ozoneocean at 11:07AM, Dec. 30, 2009
(online)
seventy2
can't find motivation for….gym….must….go….
Sleep. That's what you should do as much as possible this time of year. Bugger the gym!

————————
I was looking for a good version of the Australian National Anthem on youtube
and came across this piece of shit version here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzTVNNaF5fI

I of course left a comment about how crap it was (as you should always do with bad singing), something along the lines of “Worst version ever. Aussie singing with an American accent in a”kid-who-wants-to-sound-like-a-rock-star voice".
And the dick who posted the clip wrote some inane rude reply and then deleted my comment, so I couldn't comment back…

Whatever, he can do what he likes with his comment space. We have the same system here.
But the thing was, by writing a reply, his comment was e-mailed to me, which made me go back again to check out that page, and I noticed all the rest of the comments orgasmically praising the singer… And then I noticed that shitty singer was from some talent show.
Basically the person posting those clips is some seriously SAD fan of a kid singer on a talent show, and the people who comment so lovingly are the sad fans of said talentless show. (Australian Idol I think).

These talent show reality TV sickos depress me with what they're doing to pop-culture. It made me think about that Rage Against The Machine Christmas No1 in Britain and just who their competition was. It turns out that it was some boring kid who was actually doing a cover version of a Myly Cyrus song!
-Now I don't really know who that Cyrus girl is, but if pop-culture in the UK has sunk so low that the most bought song at Christmas time was almost a cheesy COVER version of a recent cheesy pop-song, that's not a good sign.

——————–
Now THAT was a good rant!
seventy2 at 11:17AM, Dec. 30, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Now THAT was a good rant!
touche' good sir.
————-

so i decided to get going to the gym…and mind you i haven't been there in a week, but it was 4 mile day so it wasn't too bad. so i go and my first mile was pretty quick for my distance time…but immediately i got tired, and the second mile was slow, and the 3rd was slower, and i even got a little vomit action going on somewhere in there…my last mile was super slow, i ended up running the whole thing in like 35:40 or something. Curse the gym for being closed from friday until monday morning, and me being lazy on tuesday…
the worst part was, the (brigadier)general was there, and the dude was trucking it. you have to be like, 100 years old to make it to general. and he wasn't the only old guy…a lot of them were passing me at a rate, that i prolly couldn't match on a good day. those jerks.

and now i don't even wanna do my pushups.

this is what i get for sitting on my but all week…
facara
skoolmunkee at 1:59PM, Dec. 30, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
old style antennas will pick up digital TV fine. I'd try hooking the old antenna to the new TV and seeing if you get any more channels ^_^
:O I never even tried that because when I was reading the digital tv info page it said that older antennas would need to be reconfigured or something. I just figured, pff, I bet mine's that old.

Okay anyway so that's a lot better, more channels and better picture too. :] I'm an idiot, but thank goodness for the drunkduck ‘share or something, whatever’ thread. And thank goodness for ozoneocean. God bless us every one
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Ironscarf at 2:41PM, Dec. 30, 2009
(offline)
Skoolmunkee
I'm an idiot, but thank goodness for the drunkduck ‘share or something, whatever’ thread. And thank goodness for ozoneocean. God bless us every one

Looks like if it wasn't for The ‘Zone, you’d've ended up falling off the roof like Rod Hull and his Emu.
For those who don't know, this is Rod Hull and his Emu. Rod fell to his death whilst trying to adjust his TV aerial - at least that's the official story: I think the Emu done it.

Seven days with no interwires: I got cold turkey in more ways than one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 5:19PM, Dec. 30, 2009
(offline)
PIT_FACE

Hadn't seen that post earlier but that is some kickass art there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
Lonnehart at 5:54PM, Dec. 30, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
much nicer than the Buggatii Veyron . EW! The anachronistic front grill looks SHITE on that body

Gotta agree with that. First time I saw the car I thought “Darth Vader on Wheels!”

Oh, well… tried the thing out in Forza 3. That was one heavy little car. Not sure I'd want drive in for real… so for now I'll just enjoy my favorite Forza Motorsport 3 car. :)

This one…

Coffee and a ton of horsepower never mix well, I think…

T_T
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
lba at 6:40PM, Dec. 30, 2009
(online)
I finally found a modern version of an old car I like, but I'm probably the biggest dork ever for it. Dodge Avenger Stormtrooper

A 4.0 liter engine in a small sedan is something I can get behind. Of course, I'm sold just by the looks. It's a 10x improvement on the clunky piece of a passenger sedan they're trying to pass off as an Avenger these days.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
bravo1102 at 11:25PM, Dec. 30, 2009
(offline)
Real sports cars for real people.

And since when was the Dodge Avenger an old car? Now this is a Dodge Avenger:

As opposed to a Grumman Avenger a true classic.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Draven_Xero at 5:43AM, Dec. 31, 2009
(offline)
8am on the final day of '09, and I already feel like hell…

I got a feelin' I should lay off the alcomohol tonight, as I'd probably SERIOUSLY regret it tomorrow…but dammit, this is one of the only two or three nights of the year that I ever allow myself to get plastered. Decisions decisions. Ah hell, maybe I'll just do it and try a drunk drawing project…never tried it before, so it could be interesting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
lba at 6:46PM, Dec. 31, 2009
(online)
bravo1102
And since when was the Dodge Avenger an old car? Now this is a Dodge Avenger:

Since I grew up in the 1990's. The late 90's were the last time we had cars worth wanting to drive. Everything from the early 90's and 80's sucks, and I wasn't around for the 60's and 70's to develop some nostalgic connection to those ancient things. So in my world, 1997, is old.

And that older style is the model of Avenger I've wanted since I was a kid. I've wanted a 2002 Avenger since I first saw one when I was in middle school. I don't like the new ones by comparison. They're boxy and poky looking.
———————-

I got to go on the yearly holiday trip to Dick Blick's shipping warehouse store and it's massive discount section. I got two shopping cart loads of stuff including some incredibly rare printing materials, all for less than $100. And on top of that, my dad decided he wanted to go to the next town over to go to a big liquor store the size of a supermarket ( place was seriously like every college students dreamland. Enough booze to get an entire campus trashed for at least a week. ) and I managed to get him to pay for a couple cases of my favorite beer that's pretty much impossible to find and about 5 liters worth of red wine to cook with.

This is why I like Christmas. Going to the Blick outlet isn't technically a Christmas present, but since we do it every year around Christmas-time, I get to look forward to setting myself back to square one on all the progress I've made in the past year on clearing out the art supplies in my apartment.
Aurora Borealis at 9:51PM, Dec. 31, 2009
(online)
it's not even 7 hours since midnight and I have finished my first script. A 34 page single story written from an older concept (about 2 years old I think) for my “pencil, ink and color 30+ pages (or at least as many as you can) within a week” challenge. IT's still only a raw script, but with page breaks already, so it's just a matter of working out the thumbnails and writing revised dialogue.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Chernobog at 10:02PM, Dec. 31, 2009
(offline)
First post of the new year? Hope you all had a better time than I did.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
lba at 10:37PM, Dec. 31, 2009
(online)
Can I be the one who gets to start the new bitching thread? Or does it have to be an admin for it to be official?
Ozoneocean at 4:04AM, Jan. 1, 2010
(online)
lba
Can I be the one who gets to start the new bitching thread? Or does it have to be an admin for it to be official?
Whatever, just do it. :)

Happy new year peoples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seventy2 at 9:49AM, Jan. 1, 2010
(online)
i think the new one should be

“the TwentyTen Rant, Vent, and Share thread”
facara

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon