Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The duck's 12 step program. Post here if you found a bug/design error.
skoolmunkee at 9:00AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
I'm hoping based on things like people's PQ boxes starting to work again that means someone is doing something to fix things… but I dunno, it is Sunday after all. :]

Little Swanwrote:
Also:
~ My DD alerter doesn't work. I'm assuming that this is probably because of the site changeover, any new addresses/coding and such… but will there be a new Alerter released at some point which is compatible?

They plan to have an API for the new site which would mean they (or someone industrious) could create a future version of the uploader or other apps/widgets or whatever. However yeah, from my understanding the DD Alerter is not going to work from this point on.

darth_paulwrote:
The time stated when I make a post seems to be off. I'm in the Eastern US time zone

Chernobogwrote:
All right, I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so here goes.
Stats.
They do want to have much more robust stats, but it wasn't something they could finish in time for launch. It's on their to-do list. I can't explain why the pageviews and such aren't working though, I've got some numbers in Abby but that could be because it was one of the test comics. None of my other comics have pageview numbers. I also don't know why it says all the comics launched on July 6th, they should have populated that field with the correct info from the old site…

Speedballwrote:
Before, the “comics you own overview” page would have a little panel showing off the most recent comment someone made on one of your pages. There's nothing like that now.

They do also want to have a better comment management system, that's something we were talking to them about from the beginning. I think that's on their to-do list too, but I dunno what order they might be approaching those. (After fixing all the current bugs, for sure.)

abrahamlincolnwrote:
Size of my username: I am the 1337 Master (20 characters, 16 without spaces, supposedly 3 capitals)
Your username isI Am The 1337 Master
Unfortunately I can't force a password reset or anything from my end. :I

The Django messages are from some setting on their end, I think it's how they collect information for working out bugs. You saw it a lot on the preview site. I suspect it's mostly turned off now but maybe they've enabled it for areas they're having problems with?

Image compression
I am very upset to hear about this. In Lawrence's messages and announcements (publicly!) he said that people's migrated images would NOT be touched (unless they were over 950 pixels wide), and I'm sure we'd worked out in various admin meetings that images uploaded under 2mb wouldn't be messed with either. I am really angry to find out that something has actually happened to people's images. I'm going to email them specifically about this.

IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 17, 2011 9:01AM
skoolmunkee at 9:03AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
Sorry about the formatting in my posts. I don't even know why it is doing that when I try to do multiple quotes in one reply. The text editing box isn't very helpful in that regard.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
abrahamlincoln at 9:03AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
oh hello one username I didn't try
(it's funny cause I'm 1337 now and my post is still being put under abraham…hmm…)
I am the 1337 Master.

But you may call me by this not completely stupid name.
last edited on July 17, 2011 9:04AM
skoolmunkee at 9:12AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
abrahamlincoln wrote:
oh hello one username I didn't try
(it's funny cause I'm 1337 now and my post is still being put under abraham…hmm…)
It shouldn't be a case-sensitive field anyway. But that's obviously a problem, having it post under the wrong log-in. did you log OUT of abrahamlincoln before logging in to 1337?

I've just found out the image compression thing was unintentional, so they will investigate it and get back to me.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
skoolmunkee at 9:24AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
OK, bug report, can't delete unwanted comments on your own profile. They appear to delete, but when you reload the page they're still there. (Then if you try to delete them again, all the ones you deleted before disappear.)

I also can't do it as an admin, so although it could be because these are actually the comments you left on other people's profiles so maybe they only have the permissions to delete it, I should be able to as an admin. So maybe it's something else.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
JLG at 9:25AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
Like someone above said, my header image was gone, too. Unlike them, I did manage to replace it, but it's not letting me change the background color. Every time I press “Save,” the page is still white when it refreshes. Also, I don't understand the background choices—-how can a background be “left top” or “center right?”
Plus I don't understand what you're supposed to indicate in the boxes next to the arows in the “Edit Navigation” option window. And anyway, when I click on it at all, the boxes automatically fill in as “none” so all the arrows disappear and are replaced by those Xs that mean there's a missing image.
BTW I'm disappointed that all my stats from before the relaunch are gone. Is this the case for everyone? I first launched on January 11, 2009, but as far as the stats are concerned, it was now launched two weeks ago. The whole stats history has been wiped out… =(
Product Placement at 9:55AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
skoolmunkee wrote:

I'm hoping based on things like people's PQ boxes starting to work again that means someone is doing something to fix things… but I dunno, it is Sunday after all. :]

Well, we may have PQ's again, but it came at the expense of losing all of my old PQ's.
I was saving some of those.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
doodledude at 9:56AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
All I see where my comic should be is a red x on every page.Could somebody help me?
Genejoke at 10:04AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
Product Placement wrote:
skoolmunkee wrote:

Well, we may have PQ's again, but it came at the expense of losing all of my old PQ's.
I was saving some of those.
Me too, should have copied the text across.
srhdt at 10:08AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
Hey everyone,
Sorry for keeping quiet for the past couple of days. We've been monitoring this thread intently as well as the Get Satisfaction feedback to compile a list of on-going issues. I just want everyone to know that we're working on resolving EVERYTHING you guys have brought up both here and via the Feedback tab. I will begin posting news updates with lists of things as they get fixed.
A couple things I wanted to clarify:

The reason you might see a lot of people in your Friends List now is that we've switched to the ‘Facebook’ method of doing Friends, where everyone that had Friended you is now makes you a Friend of theirs in return. This is opposed to the ‘Twitter’ style of Friending that the old site had.
We are aware of the image pixellation issue, and want everyone to know that it is NOT an intentional feature. We do not intend to compress any uploaded comic image on the site. The only thing we're doing from now on is reducing the size of the image if the width exceeds 960px. We're looking into the issue and I will let you guys know when we know more, but I just want to reiterate that this is NOT an intentional feature.
As I wrote in the news post, Stats for your comics are still in the process of migrating. They are NOT gone. It's gonna take a while for all of them to reappear again, but they will, eventually.
We are working on making browser compatibility (especially with Firefox, IE, and Opera) as consistent as possible. This is one of the biggest priorities for us right now, as I know that many of you use Firefox in particular. In the meantime, just know that the site was primarily devloped to work on Google Chrome, so if something is currently not working for you, try it out on Chrome and see if that helps. However, we are DEFINITELY fixing things for the other browsers.

Thanks for the reports so far. Please keep posting your issues!
ayesinback at 10:30AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
The death of the PQ archive has been a blow.
Radio voice voters: I only have votes from these people:

Normal

false
false
false

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:“Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:“”;
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:“Times New Roman”;
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Normal

false
false
false

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:“Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:“”;
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:“Times New Roman”;
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Ally Haert
blindsk
bravo1102
gene hole
gullas
NickyP
OnlyFools
ozone
Salsa

Snevilly

If you're not listed, please either PQ your votes to me or BETTER!! email them to druckduck100@yahoo.com. blame sobriety)
I realize the voice contest is no big community deal, but, damn, the forums are. Look at what this new site did:
made PQing difficult (only from a post)
made posting/reading posts difficut
made assessing comic updates pre 6 July difficult
made customizing comics difficult
Both artistry and community have taken major hits. gotta go – this egg yolk splashed everywhere is just too tough on the eyes.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
I Am The 1337 Master at 10:39AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
skoolmunkee wrote:
But that's obviously a problem, having it post under the wrong log-in. did you log OUT of abrahamlincoln before logging in to 1337?
yeah but I did it in another tab I logged out then in but still kept a tab in which I logged in so I gues i confuzzled it.
Salsa at 11:09AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
srhdt wrote:

We are working on making browser compatibility (especially with Firefox, IE, and Opera) as consistent as possible. This is one of the biggest priorities for us right now, as I know that many of you use Firefox in particular. In the meantime, just know that the site was primarily devloped to work on Google Chrome, so if something is currently not working for you, try it out on Chrome and see if that helps. However, we are DEFINITELY fixing things for the other browsers.

Thanks for the reports so far. Please keep posting your issues!
And you didn't test the site on those browsers before? Geeze, that's Web programming/design 101. You always test the site on several different browsers to make sure it works before you go live!
RAGE!
Hawk at 11:10AM, July 17, 2011
(online)
srhdt wrote:

We are aware of the image pixellation issue, and want everyone to know that it is NOT an intentional feature. We do not intend to compress any uploaded comic image on the site. The only thing we're doing from now on is reducing the size of the image if the width exceeds 960px. We're looking into the issue and I will let you guys know when we know more, but I just want to reiterate that this is NOT an intentional feature.

It's a relief to hear that the over-compression will not be a feature. It would have been a very sore spot for me. But for those of us who do not want our existing backlog of pages to look terrible, do you know if we'll have to re-upload every single page?
skoolmunkee at 11:55AM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
Salsa wrote:
And you didn't test the site on those browsers before? Geeze, that's Web programming/design 101. You always test the site on several different browsers to make sure it works before you go live!

They have, and Oz and I have as well. But it's pretty difficult to account for every version of every browser on every OS.

It really helps if people posting bugs can also post whether they're windows or mac, and what browser/version.

Wowio has been saying we'll still have access to the old site for a little while, so I'm going to try and find out when that will happen so people can save any images etc. they need to (and collect their PQs which didn't make it over). I hope.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 17, 2011 11:59AM
pinali at 12:04PM, July 17, 2011
(online)
Not a pressing issue but thought I'd mention it anyway to add to the list: the filters for the top/random/latest on the front page don't work. I can select/deselect stuff but clicking save does nothing, and when I reload the page they are all deselected again.
I'm using Chrome.
Lopriest at 12:38PM, July 17, 2011
(online)
I am still unable to access my comic, tells me ‘A’ rated comics need login, but I am logged in. Someone mentioned this had been fixed but it isn't for me :(
Matt Tutrip at 1:16PM, July 17, 2011
(online)
Hurricane Ivan wrote:
First
and foremost, whenever I try to upload an image I get a page full of
code of some sort with a message down the bottom saying: “You're seeing this error because you haveDEBUG = Truein your Django settings file. Change that toFalse, and Django will display a standard 500 page.”
I have this same problem, and my comic won't update at all. I've tried multiple times, even restarting the browser, clearing cookies and all sorts of stuff, and yet I'm still unable to update my comic :(
last edited on July 17, 2011 1:21PM
KDog at 1:55PM, July 17, 2011
(online)
My comic's header image, background and comments have all vanished. Will these be reinstated?
Gunwallace at 1:59PM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
skoolmunkee wrote:
Salsa wrote:

They have, and Oz and I have as well. But it's pretty difficult to account for every version of every browser on every OS.

This would sound more believable if the problems weren't so widespread.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Niccea at 2:18PM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
Windows 7, Google Chrome/Fire fox. I can't get my comic header to go up. I select the file, the file name displays, but if press save or leave the page, it says that there is no file selected. I have tried uploaed the image as .jpg and .gif
last edited on July 17, 2011 2:25PM
darth_paul at 2:37PM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
skoolmunkee wrote:

Well, the old site never let you customize the time displays either, but it's something we've said would be nice for people to have as far as site personalization goes. Since the server is in Pacific time that's what all the time displays are.

No, you couldn't customize it, I'll admit that, but I know that on old site the time would display accurately according to the time zone that I was in, which used to be central, but now that I've moved I'm in the eastern zone and everything is in pacific. There may have be something automatic in the old code which isn't there now. It's not a big deal, but it's a bit disorienting.

Gunwallace at 2:41PM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
The live date for putting a page up on the Manage Pages screen seems to be stuck at July 16 …it shows up as the 17th on the side under ‘my comics’, but in the Manage Pages screen it says 16th even though I selected 17th when i posted.
(Mac OS 10.5.8, Firefox 5.0.1)
I can only image how gut-wrenching all these issues are for those of you involved in The Duck, especially those of you who have put in so much of your time and lives into the site and but have had too little input into the overall process.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Scorpion451 at 2:50PM, July 17, 2011
(online)
I've discovered a new error- editing the commentary on an old page makes it disappear from the comic list,
replaced by a bunch of cruft about “page not in list” and ‘error 500’, (one of those super-long django debug pages)
Currently missing page 7 of my intro and the first page of book one on the greening wars because I felt like making some new comments on them.
They are still listed in the pages menu, but when I hit view, I get the same error. here's the link, so you can see what I'm talking about. :http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Greening_Wars/5296415/
Updates every Tuesday!

Visit my deviantArt page to see some of my artwork and what I'm up to when I'm playing the not-working-on-my-webcomic game
last edited on July 18, 2011 6:35AM
El Cid at 2:51PM, July 17, 2011
(online)
srhdt wrote:
Just FYI (and I really do hope you guys are already aware of this), if the original purpose of your image compression feature was or is only to compress images wider than 960px, then it fails even by that measure. The image I used for my comparison was 800 x 1035, 319 kB. There was no reason why it should have ever been touched to begin with.

What I'm most concerned with right now is that I still can't post new images in *jpeg format, 960px or no, without them being ruined. That's really the bigger issue, as the site is completely useless without image fidelity.

*PNG is not an option for me because the PNGs exceed your 1 MB file size limit.
Salsa at 2:55PM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
skoolmunkee wrote:

Salsa wrote:

It really helps if people posting bugs can also post whether they're windows or mac, and what browser/version.

Wowio has been saying we'll still have access to the old site for a little while, so I'm going to try and find out when that will happen so people can save any images etc. they need to (and collect their PQs which didn't make it over). I hope.

Bull.
That is bull, you know it's bull and everyone who reads this and has a lick og sense knows its bull. You can't tell me that they thoroughly tested this thing in even one browser because the styling is messed up all over the place. That's a client-side problem and it's not impossible to test that in the major browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera). Hell with those four you've got at least 99% of people covered, and IE would be the most problematic. and if you factor in the major browser versions you still only have about a dozen to check and just doing a style check to make sure everything is lining up fine doenst take that long. Debugging might take a few days, but these guys had over six months.
I'm sorry, but if they tested it then this has got to be the most unprofessional design and development team to have ever worked on a project like this. Add to that they have practically ignored the users about the color scheme and the name change then you have a recipe for losing members which have already done so, especially to Comicfury. Actually, lets be fair here, you started losing members before the site change and then going offline for almost two weeks didn't help matters.
Simply put, the team either overestimated their own abilities, underestimated the scope of the project, or just goofed off for six months and then cobbled together this Charlie Foxtrot of a site. Are things working now? Maybe, but any programmer worth his salt should, and does know better. Am I saying that I could have done better? No, I don't have the skills or the experience, but I have been through an overhaul of a site before and it went off much more quickly and much more smoothly than this. I should also point out that as bad as the old site was, many people would ahve preferred the look and features of that site over this one.
I would say that this is a farewell, but I still have friends over here. I still have comics that I like to read over here, and I'm still waiting on the results of the radioplay, but I will never post a comic here, and I will be removing myself from the site, and hopefully encourage some people to do the same.
Oh and be sure to check out the site in my sig.
RAGE!
last edited on July 17, 2011 3:01PM
Salsa at 2:59PM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
Oh and another thing.
Nice job breaking the forums, now I have a word limit I guess, either that or you just truncate any post that mentions Comcifury.
Should I start calling the admins the “Thought-Police”?
RAGE!
El Cid at 3:02PM, July 17, 2011
(online)
Salsa wrote:
Oh and another thing.
Nice job breaking the forums, now I have a word limit I guess, either that or you just truncate any post that mentions Comcifury.
Well you're not thinking it, you're posting it!

(btw I'm sure it wasn't done on purpose.)
Salsa at 3:20PM, July 17, 2011
(offline)
El Cid wrote:
Salsa wrote:
Oh and another thing.

Well you're not thinking it, you're posting it!

(btw I'm sure it wasn't done on purpose.)
Yeah, but if it's a bug it's a pretty major one, and it only seems to happen when I say and link to Comicfury.
RAGE!
Genejoke at 3:25PM, July 17, 2011
(online)
well it worked the second time but these forums are still a mess.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon