HA Stories

Stories & Storylines
LuchaCoffee at 10:08PM, April 6, 2011
(online)
All this talk of script is reminding me that I gotta finish up mine :P
I like my horror films like I love my burgers…Full of Cheese!!

last edited on July 18, 2011 10:16AM
shastab24 at 10:43PM, April 6, 2011
(online)
Macattack, spell checkers in general seem to hate teleportation. Of course, some hate my last name, as well (Messer). It just goes with their weird priorities. I don't rely on them, but then I am a quite competent speller. When you go through college as an English major, that is one thing you'd better be, above all.

And I have a lot on my plate script-wise. I'm full force into writing scripts for my own superhero universe (which I hope to start the issues for next year–cross my fingers because it's probably a little late into this year for artists to be comfortable). I'm behind on my New Years resolution of writing a script per week, but I'm getting caught up. Only a few more weeks to catch up on, as I have written 9 in my primary superhero universe (with two from last year making it 11), one for my own online comics (added to my one from last year) and my script for this comic. Am I spreading myself thin writing-wise? It's possible, but that's my problem.

Once I'm caught up on that, I'm going to start drawing in force, mainly for my own comics, but I may also sign up for a page for another person's HA script. And should my script be fully approved, I'll also start drawing the first bit of it.
Abt_Nihil at 5:46AM, April 7, 2011
(offline)
shastab24
But the next story I am thinking of is not nearly so sweeping (or so 90s), but I would want to know the status of this story in relation to the rest of Heroes Alliance before I write it.
Feel free to ask about anything you need to know here in the forums.
BTW - I never quite understood what you meant by the script being “so 90s” ^^;

shastab24
And the reason why I don't delineate pages and panels is simple: I just don't know how to envision them. I'm not an artist, really
Well, this is pretty important, and I don't think you need to be an artist to develop this ability. Most comic book writers aren't artists, but write highly detailed scripts. I don't think there's a systematic difference between describing a scene (which is what all writers do) and envisioning a scene. It's not the artist's job to envision it (in fact, any reader should be able to envision a scene when reading a script or a book), but he's the one who can turn the vision into a drawing. That doesn't mean that being able to envision one's script in terms of panels and pages doesn't take practice. But I'd encourage you to try it. Because it's very likely that, unless you can find one artist who will draw all of your script, you have to know where you can divide up your script, and how many artists it will take. While I'm certainly willing to lend my support, this is something that you will have to do as far as necessary. A good way to deal with this is to write a scene, give it to an artist and give them complete freedom in dividing it into panels and pages. For instance, that is what can be done with macattack's script. It is divided into pages, but if I were to draw them, I would divide it further. But it's still a script that can be divided among artists, and we can roughly say how many pages will result eventually.

Try to get a realistic outlook on how many pages your scripts would translate into. I trust you're reading comics, so you should already have some basic ability, it only needs to be developed.

shastab24
And like I said, I will take the criticism, however bad. I am making a character change, anyways–Peligroso instead of Virtus–since Seb brought up valid concerns about how I handled his character. And I could likely cut out the parts featuring Jessica Mason and Glamazonia's fights, like I mentioned before, but also Gen, Topia, Split, Eiderdown, and Fractal's fights…
Again, I hope I wasn't being too harsh. It's the nature of this community project that some projects are realistic, some aren't, and what I was trying to do is make it more realistic that this particular script gets turned into a comic. Think about what's most important about this script, and what you're really trying to say. Then think about what's necessary to make these points. If some scenes aren't necessary, ask yourself if they serve some other purpose that makes the comic better - that makes artists want to draw it and readers want to read it, considering they are not familiar with many of the characters. If you feel you need to cut too much, think of the comic as an adaptation of your original script, not as the comic being identical with the story in your script.
Abt_Nihil at 5:53AM, April 7, 2011
(offline)
Macattack
Unless you say otherwise I think I might just leave it as it is and let the artists decide where would be best to split pages… personally I have no clue :P
Right. As I said, I think some of your single pages might actually be two, some three. I could probably divide them up, so we can at least have an estimate, but leave the final decision up to the individual artists.

Macattack
As for teleportation… ummm… ya I just figured it seemed more dramatic than running away especially since she was there with two speedsters. Plus I guess if she could build a fake doomsday weapon and a cyborg version of herself, building or stealing a teleporter even if it was just a small one wouldn't be tooooo far fetched :P I hope? How rare is teleportation in this universe? I know in HU they had to borrow the teleporter from AEGIS in the Cavalry episode
This is something we need to figure out. I've said this before somewhere on the forums: The fact that teleportation is readily available in the HA Universe has been giving me some headaches. You're right, we can assume Motherboard stole such a device. The question then would be, could everyone steal one? And if so, why are their still planes in the sky, and trains on the tracks etc.? :P This wouldn't be explained by some mild headache teleportation would give you. Most people would prefer a mild headache to flying for hours… which is also known to induce sickness :/

Macattack
PPS: has anyone heard from Wes Nero lately? I REALLY want the Imp in the story and I've got time it seems, but at the same time I don't think he's been online for a while now :/
He sent me a PQ a little more than a week ago, and I don't really know when to expect the next PQ. He still owes me a page ^^;
Abt_Nihil at 6:28AM, April 7, 2011
(offline)
Since this seems to be a common problem, I thought I'd just give you (that is, everyone writing scripts and not knowing exactly how to do this) a quick improvised “Tutorial on how to divide your scripts into pages and panels”. We don't have a fitting thread for this, but the “design and consistency” thread seemed most appropriate. Thus, you can find it there.
shastab24 at 3:06PM, April 7, 2011
(online)
What I mean by “too 90s” is the trend in the 90s to have action without the story. Liefeld is most known for this, but others did it, as well.

And you weren't being too harsh. I am grateful for every concern raised. It's important, as any writer, no matter what level they are at, can always improve, and improvements can only be made when problems are addressed. Couple that with the fact that you know moreso the difficulties in getting artists for these projects and the logistics, and your experience can help those like me.

My problems with breakdowns comes from, in my experience, often not realizing what can fit in a page. I have had pages done of scripts I wrote which I am glad I did not break up, because the artist found how to get the information across in a small amount of space, and found better placement of panels than I could ever envision. But then again, this is an acquired skill, like much of anything out there. Maybe I should have a co-plotter until I can develop this ability myself.
Macattack at 5:00PM, April 7, 2011
(offline)
Saweet! I'm apparently example worthy! And I totally see now what you mean by breaking it down. That layout works out so much better. I think with the entire motherboard stealing a teleporter idea I was thinking this might by a special case as she's doing this as part of a large conspiracy with the ultimate villain. However if that is the case that might also be giving away too much…. OR it could be something that is overlooked now as the heroes are (pardon the expression) less experienced that are involved with this and may not have developed the paranoid suspicion the longer running heroes have. Then later on when pieces start coming together they could refer back to the teleportation device as one of the clues that this is bigger than they thought.MAN I wish I had an awesome idea for the next part in this series as I am falling in love with this conspiracy!
Abt_Nihil at 5:44PM, April 7, 2011
(offline)
I think SympleSymon basically aimed for both the reveal and the demise of “Villains Unite” to happen in the same chapter (but anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong). Personally, I'd really like to have one or two chapters setting it up, so the follow-up to “Crossed Wires” could be the one leading into “Villains Unite”. This would include revealing what JOD had Motherboard steal (or rather, what Motherboard had Wireless steal, while MB was in turn coerced by JOD into doing it :D). Also, I would like to see them assault HA headquarters. In a big way.
Macattack at 5:58PM, April 7, 2011
(offline)
OOO!!! OOO!!! If they do a giant siege of the HA headquarters it would be pretty awesome if they sent out some kind of distress call and half way through the battle other, not main character heroes showed up like Wireless, Kaleidoscope, Bleeder, and just other heroes who have been met throughout the series but don't stay with the others
Abt_Nihil at 4:30AM, April 8, 2011
(offline)
Yes! That would be very cool. But tough to write :D

There should be some villain who controls water. He'll part the sea, exposing HA HQ! ^_^
Macattack at 4:27PM, April 8, 2011
(offline)
O_o water super villain… THAT would be a dangerous villain to fight Wireless. And I dunno.. could be kind of easy. if it was long enough you could have it in two parts. One part they're being attacked at the base and they send out a distress beacon… however not too long after it gets sent out the villains knock out the transmitter, then half way through when they look like they're going to lose. BAM! the other heroes arrive :D I just kind of like how it would bring back all the heroes… OOO Maybe we could even get Clockwork's side kick to come in :D Just thinking too hard again :P
DevanMuse at 2:35PM, April 16, 2011
(online)
not sure if it's the proper time to suggest something like this, or even if i have the merit to yet, but i've had an idea brewing in my head for MONTHS for a massive event that ties together countless characters in a sprawling universe for one massive battle-no, more like a WAR- and i thought i'd share it with all of you….

imagine, if you would, if between our realities–in the empty space separating them–there lived 4 begins with powers that govern all the aspects of reality as we and every universe takes for granted: the Shaper, whose role is to give form and shape to all things; the Timer, whose role is to govern and keep the passage of time constant and endless; the Scripter; whose role is to maintain the passage of events and history; and the Oracle, who governs all the others and helps maintain the balance and separation of all universes and multiverses and dimensions. together, they are the Balancers of the Multiverse, whose benevolent existence has maintained the continuity of universes for eons.

however, one day the Scripter grew bored with his monotonous task of writing down the events of those beneath him; those who did not even know his presence. and out of his boredom, he decided to “push” certain events forward. in his game, he would manipulate events to turn friend against friend, enemy against enemy, and engulf the worlds he helped govern into chaos and violence.

thie carnage wilol forever be known as… The Scripter War

hows that for a first pitch, huh?

and before you ask, yes, i've read Crossoverlord and know about Ringo. these guys are different…
shastab24 at 4:03PM, April 16, 2011
(online)
Well, I will say that when I introduced the concept of my character Tempore on the Heroes Unite board, it was met with lukewarm response. I know Heroes Alliance is a different project, but idea of multiple universes is something that is not what the writers here tend to go with. That said, my script involves characters from multiple universes, so it can be dependant on how you do it.

It does seem to be a new writer thing, as well, to do a grand, epic story. I wrote a large script and have been cutting it down. Note what Abt says above about my script: it's hard enough to get artists for 30-page scripts, and if you have an epic story, it is likely to take up a lot of pages. If you can write this story effectively in 30 pages or under, that would be the ideal situation. Of course, if you are willing to draw a lot of pages, go crazy with the length, I say. But I would advise in such a situation to make sure you have a large backlog so that the comic can update more frequently than usual. That way, other people don't wait forever to see the own scripts happen, and readers don't get pulled away for too long from the overarching story (as I assume this script would not be part of the main story of the mole and the tensions between Heroes Unite and Heroes Alliance).

That said, I would love to see what you could make of such a script. I would hope, as well, that some of my characters might be used. Of the ones submitted to Heroes Alliance (and Heroes Unite, if you want to check out those ones), only Sparkle, Astral and The Floccinaucinihilipilification are from the Heroes Alliance universe. But, your beings are pan-dimensional, which could mean my other characters aren't exactly out of reach.

But one thing I will say about such multi-universal elements: I personally like to think a little smaller in scope. Note that Tempore does not patrol the omniverse–he has a multiverse. He doesn't know who created him, but knows his purpose in that multiverse, which is to maintain order. Were I to have gone on a grander scale, I would begin to create a new theology about how existance was formed. Considering the nature of crossovers, this is tricky territory. One person's omniversal theology may not fit another's, and when two universes of different such ideologies are permitted to meet, the concepts will immediately clash. It would be as if somebody in the Heroes Unite/Alliance universe visits Hell, and said place does not match that which Nepath has depicted in Saroth: Surviving Hell. While an ideological difference is understandable, such a glaring difference is going to be highly noticable. This is part of the reason why I eventually decided the aforementioned Tempore is not in control of anything in the Heroes Unite/Alliance universe, and patrols a multiverse of my own making (and which will include my print comics when they finally are available–read drawn and then put up on IndyPlanet), but left it open for him to come to other multiverses (a concept I will explain in one of my comics when I eventually get it up) and for other multiverses to have their own guardians of order. Therefore I suggest a smaller scope. Maybe these characters only work with a megaverse, or multiverse. Having them work with the omniverse says that they also deal with Marvel, DC, Archie, Image, and other such universes, including our own. In effect, you would have to be working so the characters fit every one of these, and give a plausibles to why, out of all the universes they decided to screw with, they went with the Heroes Unite/Alliance universe.

And I think I should stop typing now. This is a long response and my computer is going slow. I have to wait a long time after typing just to make sure that I don't have any typos, and that my computer decided to count every keystroke (it doesn't always).
DevanMuse at 4:28PM, April 16, 2011
(online)
shastab24
Well, I will say that when I introduced the concept of my character Tempore on the Heroes Unite board, it was met with lukewarm response. I know Heroes Alliance is a different project, but idea of multiple universes is something that is not what the writers here tend to go with. That said, my script involves characters from multiple universes, so it can be dependant on how you do it.

It does seem to be a new writer thing, as well, to do a grand, epic story. I wrote a large script and have been cutting it down. Note what Abt says above about my script: it's hard enough to get artists for 30-page scripts, and if you have an epic story, it is likely to take up a lot of pages. If you can write this story effectively in 30 pages or under, that would be the ideal situation. Of course, if you are willing to draw a lot of pages, go crazy with the length, I say. But I would advise in such a situation to make sure you have a large backlog so that the comic can update more frequently than usual. That way, other people don't wait forever to see the own scripts happen, and readers don't get pulled away for too long from the overarching story (as I assume this script would not be part of the main story of the mole and the tensions between Heroes Unite and Heroes Alliance).

That said, I would love to see what you could make of such a script. I would hope, as well, that some of my characters might be used. Of the ones submitted to Heroes Alliance (and Heroes Unite, if you want to check out those ones), only Sparkle, Astral and The Floccinaucinihilipilification are from the Heroes Alliance universe. But, your beings are pan-dimensional, which could mean my other characters aren't exactly out of reach.

But one thing I will say about such multi-universal elements: I personally like to think a little smaller in scope. Note that Tempore does not patrol the omniverse–he has a multiverse. He doesn't know who created him, but knows his purpose in that multiverse, which is to maintain order. Were I to have gone on a grander scale, I would begin to create a new theology about how existance was formed. Considering the nature of crossovers, this is tricky territory. One person's omniversal theology may not fit another's, and when two universes of different such ideologies are permitted to meet, the concepts will immediately clash. It would be as if somebody in the Heroes Unite/Alliance universe visits Hell, and said place does not match that which Nepath has depicted in Saroth: Surviving Hell. While an ideological difference is understandable, such a glaring difference is going to be highly noticable. This is part of the reason why I eventually decided the aforementioned Tempore is not in control of anything in the Heroes Unite/Alliance universe, and patrols a multiverse of my own making (and which will include my print comics when they finally are available–read drawn and then put up on IndyPlanet), but left it open for him to come to other multiverses (a concept I will explain in one of my comics when I eventually get it up) and for other multiverses to have their own guardians of order. Therefore I suggest a smaller scope. Maybe these characters only work with a megaverse, or multiverse. Having them work with the omniverse says that they also deal with Marvel, DC, Archie, Image, and other such universes, including our own. In effect, you would have to be working so the characters fit every one of these, and give a plausibles to why, out of all the universes they decided to screw with, they went with the Heroes Unite/Alliance universe.

And I think I should stop typing now. This is a long response and my computer is going slow. I have to wait a long time after typing just to make sure that I don't have any typos, and that my computer decided to count every keystroke (it doesn't always).

that's quite a bit to think about, and i guess you make a lot of sense. what i was pitching here was more of the massive crossover event, not necessarily a comic story. i see that something like that is a bit much to throw completely out of the blue, so i'll wait on this until the time comes to use it, if it ever comes at all. thanks for the advice. i'll start thinking of *smaller scale* stories to pitch.
shastab24 at 4:51PM, April 16, 2011
(online)
Well, a big event, like the Crossover Wars, could work. However, I think you might want to create a central comic and see who wants to branch off from there. Also, considering most webcomics reside in the same multiverse, it would make it easier to limit the scope to multiversal and still include everybody (but if you can get Marvel and DC involved, I commend you).

But what I mean about the central comic: Marvel's Civil War had its own book called Civil War, and same with Secret Invasion, Siege, DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths, and so on. These could be read without any of the tie-ins and still make sense (sometimes), but would have the larger picture shown in the tie-ins. Heck, this even happened in the Crossoverlord and I've heard it's happening in Crossoverkill. But you could create a comic called “The Scripter War” for the set-up and major picture for it all. From there, each individual comic could do their own tie-ins and things could expand to interesting proportions.
shastab24 at 10:56PM, April 18, 2011
(online)
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to say something unrelated to DevanMuse's idea:

I was wondering if there was anybody who would be willing to break my script into pages and panels. If so, I can send it as it is now, and hopefully things can move a little better from there. Though Nepath and SympleSymon have not gotten back to me, I want to start moving forward. If the script is broken up, I'll have a better idea of how things might work (and what further cuts I might need to make, if it's still too incredibly long).
Abt_Nihil at 2:09PM, April 21, 2011
(offline)
DevanMuse
stuff about The Scripter War
shastab24 has said a lot of things that have to be considered. However, I want to emphasize that it isn't entirely unrealistic to make this happen. I would really like to do a big multiverse story sometime soon. I just think these won't come around too often, and we should take ideas we already have and weave them into one story. We've had several ideas for multiverse stories, and I think it would be both unfair and a waste to just pick one and discard the others. Rather, we should settle on something we would all like to see, so everyone has a part in it and is motivated to contribute.

As far as I can see, the only thing that's actually in the planning stage right now, and which is on this sort of scale is SympleSymon's Villains Unite story, since it deals with time travel and the very nature of time. If we're going to have a multiverse story, we should make sure it differs enough.

The most important thing to consider here is that HA should be relevant for as many existing webcomics as possible. So, the less you have to create from scratch, and the less it relies on something from one single comic, the better. I did create supplementary characters for HU and HA, but I tried my best to make them relevant for the existing characters, and that's something I expect from everyone working on HA. The great thing is that I know that everyone who's interested in working on HA is a fan of several webcomics that are tying into it, so I expect contributors to submit their ideas about characters whom they've always liked reading about. It's like… for anyone who likes, say, Relik, writing an HA chapter that features Relik is like writing fan fiction about him.

As for tie-ins, we've never done that in a systematic way, which is a very good reason to finally do it. Nepath's comics and Shell have been tying into HU/HA, and I'm not sure whether there actually were any other substantial tie-ins. So, if we're going to do a multiverse story, we should make sure that there are at least four or five other webcomics that are tying into it directly, and are updating around the same time. This would require quite a bit of effort, and I'm not sure something like this has been done before (in webcomics) – but please correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't been able to keep up with Crossover Wars and Crossoverkill, so there's bound to be lots of stuff I'm unaware of, but which would be relevant to consider or compare).

shastab24
I was wondering if there was anybody who would be willing to break my script into pages and panels…
I'll definitely be too busy over the next four weeks or so, but if nobody's done it by then, I might take a shot.
AzuJOD at 12:41AM, April 29, 2011
(online)
I think that if we ever make a multiverse story, it should be about different versions of the HUverse. That silver age cover that was posted recently would be a good starting point for a Silver-age universe. Other universes could be a Medieval Fantasy universe, a Gender-Flip universe (all male characters are now female and vice versa), a Cartoon Animal Superhero universe (like Spider-Ham), a Steampunk universe and, of course, a Mirror universe (where the good characters are bad and vice versa)
Macattack at 5:02AM, April 29, 2011
(offline)
I definitely like AzuJod's idea if for no other reason than I'd LOVE to see the variations on the heroes!

By the by I still need Wes Nero's and Tempest's confirmation that I can use their characters! just because I like getting these things out of the way… When the duck crashed and we lost all comic pages since January did that work for inbox messages as well? I can resend if anyone needs it
AzuJOD at 2:31AM, May 1, 2011
(online)
Well, nobody's seen Tempest in a while, she's seems to have disappeared…

As for Wes, he disappeared for a while too, but he's back now, just try resending it.
Macattack at 9:15AM, May 1, 2011
(offline)
aye… tempest is still alive… I talk with her a bit now and then but ya I haven't seen her on here in a while
shastab24 at 11:33PM, May 1, 2011
(online)
I haven't heard drom Tempest myself. I just inferred from her long absense and history of inability to make it to the computer that I could go along without her input. But I would still love to know what she thinks of my script.

That said, I've been full-force into the scripts for my own superhero universe. It's a lot to work with, but I do believe it's something I can make worthwhile. What remains difficult is finding artists willing to draw superheroes, and also I find that the LGBT (especially transgender) issues can sometimes draw an artist away. It makes me wonder about my “What You Believe” script and about how I'll acquire artists for it outside of you guys, if need be.
Macattack at 2:41PM, May 31, 2011
(offline)
shoot… I totally wrote this in the wrong board before. This was supposed to go in here

ORIGINAL POST

okay… this is probably a bad place to ask this but I couldn't think of where else to ask this. I've been working on the script for the chapter of Wireless where his nemesis Shock is finally brought down and it's fairly important to the script later on that Wireless is not the main force behind it. Therefore, I need a team up! As I said earlier I really want to make Wireless tie in with the HA Universe… which is really fairly simple as you guys I don't think have EVER mentioned Canada before :P Anyways, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to let me use their character

Criteria

They're going to have to be fairly strong. Shock's got every power Wireless has minus his force powers and has Super strength and invulnerability on top of that. Also they're going to have to sneak in somehow as Canada is still an anti meta human zone… minus the hundreds of super villains who don't care about the laws :P So, if anyone's interested at all, respond and if by some chance I get more than one volunteer I'll decide based on power sets and character traits which one works best and will inbox you for further discussion on how to fit them in Timeline wise this happens a short time after the Crossed Wires episode of HA

So thanks ahead of time and if this is the wrong place to post stuff like this… SORRY!!! *don't hurt me*
Abt_Nihil at 3:35AM, June 2, 2011
(offline)
Macattack: Any of my characters is up for grabs :-)
Macattack at 6:21AM, June 2, 2011
(offline)
huzzah! though I should warn you, as I've mentioned before I stink at drawing the female form :P Still; I'm kind of chuckling to myself picturing the Canadian army trying to confront Bombshell :P We tend to get awkward enough telling off other countries :P
AzuJOD at 7:38AM, June 2, 2011
(online)
Macattack: My characters are also availablevif you want them. So is Kaine the Whiteshadow.
Abt_Nihil at 2:52PM, June 2, 2011
(offline)
Macattack
I'm kind of chuckling to myself picturing the Canadian army trying to confront Bombshell
You know I'd love to see that :D
Macattack at 3:29PM, June 2, 2011
(offline)
You know, I was thinking about it, and the main problem isn't so much the military as it's the angry mobs of anti meta protesters who get violent when they think they have the upper hand….. Okay, now I've GOT to figure out a way to fit that into the script because I'm rolling around laughing imagining it :P
Macattack at 3:24PM, June 13, 2011
(offline)
Okay… so I know this is a REALLY time consuming and extreme suggestion. But have you guys ever thought of doing a short animated work? You know. Write up a story, send out the scripts to actors like what they tried with the Drunk Duck Radio show, maybe have people practice lines together on skype, send in recordings of them saying their lines, find some absolutely insan…. I mean DEVOTED artist who has animation experience to draw it and then post it? I'm not saying like an hour long production but like a 5-10 minute short on youtube… could actually be pretty epic if it were humanly possible… but I'm not an animator so I have NO idea what that all entails
shastab24 at 7:32PM, June 13, 2011
(online)
Macattack, I read your post and kept thinking of fukujinzuke's animated pages for Shell. If he had time, I'd tell you to ask him, but I have a feeling he doesn't.

It's like me thinking it would be cool to get Heroes Unite/Alliance characters on MUGEN: interesting concept, but it's hard to find somebody with the proper time and motivation.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon