Comic Talk and General Discussion *

LIST OF BUG FIXES FIXED: please check for further issues.
Ozoneocean at 12:42AM, May 11, 2016
(online)
1. When pre-uploaded/queued comics go live on the set date they do not appear in the “recently updated” list, and sometimes have the wrong date.
New issue: ONLY pre-uploaded pages are appearing in the updated list, NOT manually updated comic pages.

3. Multiple page/bulk uploader sometimes ends up with pages out of order. The uploaded comic pages need to be ordered by the order they were arranged when uploaded: i.e. the page at the top of the screen is first, the next one down is second and so on. Currently it orders them by whichever page uploads first.

4. When a new comic page has the same filename as an old one it replaces that old file. Image files need to be assigned random alpha numeric names so they don’t overwrite.

5. Image links have Amazon server information tacked on after .jpeg portion (eg: Signature=cCEKIH3iAG7NUYrNVgWtqjMpMz8%3D&Expires=1459154303&AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJNTWODVRHV3VHO4A), all that needs to be removed wherever images are posted.

6. The “Quote” bug in the forums needs to be fixed: The closing quote tag is spelt “qoute” so this causes an error when used.
last edited on May 11, 2016 12:43AM
Ozoneocean at 12:44AM, May 11, 2016
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:
1. When pre-uploaded/queued comics go live on the set date they do not appear in the “recently updated” list, and sometimes have the wrong date.
New issue: ONLY pre-uploaded pages are appearing in the updated list, NOT manually updated comic pages.

3. Multiple page/bulk uploader sometimes ends up with pages out of order. The uploaded comic pages need to be ordered by the order they were arranged when uploaded: i.e. the page at the top of the screen is first, the next one down is second and so on. Currently it orders them by whichever page uploads first.

4. When a new comic page has the same filename as an old one it replaces that old file. Image files need to be assigned random alpha numeric names so they don’t overwrite.

5. Image links have Amazon server information tacked on after .jpeg portion (eg: Signature=cCEKIH3iAG7NUYrNVgWtqjMpMz8%3D&Expires=1459154303&AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJNTWODVRHV3VHO4A), all that needs to be removed wherever images are posted.

6. The “Quote” bug in the forums needs to be fixed: The closing quote tag is spelt “qoute” so this causes an error when used.

Quoting works
Ozoneocean at 1:07AM, May 11, 2016
(online)
I can't upload ANY pages at all.
HippieVan at 6:28AM, May 11, 2016
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
I can't upload ANY pages at all.

WTF?!
Nope, me neither. Getting a bad gateway response if I try to upload.

I'm also getting reports from at least one user that they're getting a bad gateway error when they try to log in.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Ozoneocean at 6:34AM, May 11, 2016
(online)
Thanks Hippie!
I don't want to logout to test that… :(
Ozoneocean at 6:38AM, May 11, 2016
(online)
YEP, I tested logging in with an alternate account and I got a 502 bad gateway :(
Ozoneocean at 11:09PM, May 11, 2016
(online)
I think logins are fixed and also image uploads.
Manually uolaoded comics still aren't showing on the front page though.
El Cid at 8:06AM, May 12, 2016
(online)
Image uploads still aren't working, for me at least. 504 Gateway Time-out.

I tried logging in on a different web browser to try an image upload there, but it won't let me log on.
Ozoneocean at 8:31AM, May 12, 2016
(online)
Yes. It WAS fixed yesterday but the timeouts resulting in 502 bad Gateway errors are back agin.
Alexey is currently trying to work out what is causing the high database load.

So the issue is logins and image uploads again :(
HippieVan at 9:02AM, May 12, 2016
(online)
Should I do up a newspost about this?
Ozoneocean at 9:31AM, May 12, 2016
(online)
Yes please! About all these bugs that have been fixed and about the current issues of not being able to upload images, login and 592 errors and the reason why (heavy database loads)
You can save it for tomorrow though, give Bane's post some time in the sun :)
Amy_Of_Darkness at 1:48PM, May 12, 2016
(online)
Yay for bug fixes, bummer about the setbacks/resulting bugs! It sounds like a whac-a-mole game, hit one and another pops up somewhere else!
I'll just wait it out before I update…
usedbooks at 4:26AM, May 13, 2016
(online)
Before I get logged out of the one place I'm still logged in, I'll let you know I can't login.

I'll be in the usual storm cellar watching for updates. ;)
HippieVan at 8:17AM, May 13, 2016
(online)
Yeah, I really hope we get the login issue fixed quickly! I can't log in on my phone and I use it a lot to do stuff on the site. :/
Genejoke at 12:37AM, May 14, 2016
(online)
well, I can log in again.
Ozoneocean at 12:47AM, May 14, 2016
(online)
Yep, uploads and logins are working right now so do em while you can!
EssayBee at 7:26AM, May 19, 2016
(offline)
Not sure if this is related to the fixes, but Fusion got knocked off the Top Ten list; there are now two comics that haven't updated in over a year on the Top Ten list, and I thought there was a cap on a “Last Update” timeframe for Top Ten consideration. Did the criteria for Top Ten get changed?

Just asking because (and I feel kinda vulgar for doing this, ‘cause I don’t wanna knock anyone else's work) Fusion has more likes than several of the comics on the list, and it continues to update weekly. If the criteria have changed so that Fusion no longer qualifies, that's cool, but I don't wanna lose the promotion and visibility my comic gets from being in the Top Ten because of a glitch.

Ozoneocean at 7:48AM, May 19, 2016
(online)
I understand your distress.

What's happened is that both the top ten and "Comics“ tab are now sorted by popularity, like they used to be in the old days.
If you want to find your comic's absolute rank, just click on the ”comic" tab and look though the pages there.

The comics in the list now, even the ones that aren't updating, are getting a lot of hits so that's why they're there.

This system is definitely NOT perfect and will need tweaking in various ways to make it more fair.

——

The system you're used to was worked out manually by HippieVan. Every week she would look at how many likes comics had and whether they'd updated recently and would reorder the top ten, but it was a lot of work for her, this way it's automatic.

As I say though, it definitely needs a LOT of tweaking and the current form is only the start.
Ideally it will be based on a 3 or 4 day average of the unique views a comic has received, this way comics will be able to move up and down on the list, no matter how many hits or likes they've had in the past.
HippieVan at 7:51AM, May 19, 2016
(online)
I'll make sure to note this in tomorrow's newspost. I should probably change the relevant help page as well.
usedbooks at 8:15AM, May 19, 2016
(online)
I noticed you can sort comics by ones that updated in the past week or month, so maybe some simple criteria like that would keep the top ten “fresh.” Finished, abandonned, or comics on hiatus don't benefit much from exposure.
EssayBee at 8:29AM, May 19, 2016
(offline)
The system you're used to was worked out manually by HippieVan. Every week she would look at how many likes comics had and whether they'd updated recently and would reorder the top ten, but it was a lot of work for her, this way it's automatic.

As I say though, it definitely needs a LOT of tweaking and the current form is only the start.
Ideally it will be based on a 3 or 4 day average of the unique views a comic has received, this way comics will be able to move up and down on the list, no matter how many hits or likes they've had in the past.

Ugh. That sounds like a lot of headaches for HippieVan, so I definitely understand the need for an automated process. (And let me take this moment to give a BIG THANKS to HippieVan for all the work you put into the old list. I appreciate it!)

Anyway, thanks for clarifying the process and for all the time that you folks spend running the site.
Amelius at 1:18PM, May 19, 2016
(offline)

EssayBee, I'm glad you said you didn't want to knock any of the comics, because there were people here who wouldn't have hesitated to drag them down in the past. You're completely justified in feeling a bit frustrated that your comic got dropped off for something that's not even updating!

I'm glad the automation is taking a load off poor HippieVan too.

I suppose we can look forward to the second fundraiser for implementing a new way to calculate the list! As Ozone said in another thread, we don't have a system for calculating unique hits yet so the large-archive comics have an advantage (and in the case of the abandoned ones, an unfair and self-perpetuating one as people are going to notice them and read through their archives boosting their hits!) and with the current bug fixes being worked on, there's no budget to cover the cost of that yet.

If you all want visibility though, network, advertise! Those dead comics got there because somewhere offsite they must have a ton of links directing them here, and only one archive on DrunkDuck (as opposed to multiple mirrors with DD treated as low-priority). Just a few people going through their archive is all it took to get it in the top ten. Also important; those links are probably reasonably up-to-date. If you get exposure for say, something like TV Tropes and the examples links are shot, people assume the comic is gone.

Main-page exposure should really only be your passive stuff and never something you depend on, get a campaign going and I'm sure that list will shake up. You don't even have to fork out the money for ads, just encourage your audience to spread by word of mouth or on social media.

HippieVan at 3:24PM, May 19, 2016
(online)
Aw man, we have the greatest and most understanding community, for real. <3

usedbooks wrote:
I noticed you can sort comics by ones that updated in the past week or month, so maybe some simple criteria like that would keep the top ten “fresh.” Finished, abandonned, or comics on hiatus don't benefit much from exposure.

This is a really good idea if it's at all possible.
Ozoneocean at 6:22PM, May 19, 2016
(online)
Rather than a fundraiser I'll pay for that fix myself. Faster that way. I don't know how much it will cost yet though. Hopefully not that much.

If it's a lot we can factor it into the next fundraiser to help pay some of it back. If not I'm ok with wearing it. :)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon