Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Pour one out for Smackjeeves...
Ozoneocean at 6:45PM, Dec. 12, 2019
(online)
What should we copy from Smack Jeeves and Comic Fury to make things better here?
El Cid at 9:01AM, Dec. 13, 2019
(online)
One thing I like about Comic Fury's layout is that they have a bulletin on the front page with the most recent forum posts on it. That probably helps funnel people into the forums who otherwise wouldn't be paying attention to them.
bravo1102 at 11:01AM, Dec. 13, 2019
(offline)
Setting the time of day an update can go live as opposed to just immediately or everything dumped at 3AM EST.

The archive, page editing. You could reorder and insert pages. I remember forgetting pages and being able to go back and inserting them and editing the order when I got it wrong. It was good for loading mirror archives in one sitting.
Ironscarf at 3:37PM, Dec. 13, 2019
(offline)
A minor detail, but the thing ComicFury has and we used to have that I miss most, is that real time list of users at the bottom of the forum that shows who's online.
More significantly, they both display comics in larger boxes on the homepage and look less cluttered. It's also easier for new users to work out how to upload a comic, on ComicFury at least - can't speak for Smack users.
elektro at 5:15PM, Dec. 16, 2019
(offline)
I never thought I'd post here again after what happened in 2011, but never say never I guess. I heard what happened to SmackJeeves, and all I can say is I'm glad DD and Comicfury are still around. I may not really do anything with webcomics anymore, but I have been following the internet for a while, and I'm not liking what I'm seeing with the shift toward a “safe”, more corporate internet, which the SmackJeeves buyout reminds me of. I never used that site much (only as a mirror), but it had its niche. Anyway, back into the ether I go. Just wanted to chime in.
Ozoneocean at 8:13PM, Dec. 16, 2019
(online)
Good suggestions!!!
elektro wrote:
I never thought I'd post here again after what happened in 2011, but never say never I guess. I heard what happened to SmackJeeves, and all I can say is I'm glad DD and Comicfury are still around. I may not really do anything with webcomics anymore, but I have been following the internet for a while, and I'm not liking what I'm seeing with the shift toward a “safe”, more corporate internet, which the SmackJeeves buyout reminds me of. I never used that site much (only as a mirror), but it had its niche. Anyway, back into the ether I go. Just wanted to chime in.
Come baaaaccck…
elektro at 11:44PM, Dec. 16, 2019
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Come baaaaccck…

I don't really do webcomics anymore, but that doesn't mean I won't pop in once in a while. I've mostly made music for the last four years or so. I don't want to turn this into self-promotion, but I did want to leave a link to my stuff.

https://buskers.bandcamp.com/
Ozoneocean at 9:14AM, Dec. 17, 2019
(online)
elektro wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:
Come baaaaccck…

I don't really do webcomics anymore, but that doesn't mean I won't pop in once in a while. I've mostly made music for the last four years or so. I don't want to turn this into self-promotion, but I did want to leave a link to my stuff.

https://buskers.bandcamp.com/
Awesome! I'll check it out.
I remember you were really into art back then, selling your Comics etc.
elektro at 10:36AM, Dec. 17, 2019
(offline)
I'm still doing that, but production has slowed down quite a bit in recent years. I used to go to the local conventions/zine fests to sell my stuff, but I've had some setbacks in recent years that currently make it impossible for me to get the books printed. My stuff is still for sale on Indyplanet, though.
Ozoneocean at 8:22PM, Dec. 17, 2019
(online)
You should link that in your forum sig and your profile page here to help funnel people to you :)
All back-links help! :)
MegaRdaniels at 9:17AM, Dec. 18, 2019
(online)
Whoa whoa! i missed a million dots. What happened? what is NHN? Are they a dictatorship? What about Smackjeeves?
Ozoneocean at 6:19PM, Dec. 18, 2019
(online)
MegaRdaniels wrote:
Whoa whoa! i missed a million dots. What happened? what is NHN? Are they a dictatorship? What about Smackjeeves?
NHN are a Korean company that makes money providing content specifically to phones. They have a system in place for comics already. They were looking for an established comic website to expand their comic system to English users as well as get more content for their phones and maybe sell their phone focussed content services.

They approached us but were not going to get the full control over us that they wanted. Then they approached Smack Jeeves who gave them everything. Now Smack Jeeves members are finding themselves playing second fiddle to corporate content, some community features removed and having no say what happens with their site.
MegaRdaniels at 4:45AM, Dec. 19, 2019
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
MegaRdaniels wrote:
NHN are a Korean company that makes money providing content specifically to phones. They have a system in place for comics already. They were looking for an established comic website to expand their comic system to English users as well as get more content for their phones and maybe sell their phone focussed content services.

They approached us but were not going to get the full control over us that they wanted. Then they approached Smack Jeeves who gave them everything. Now Smack Jeeves members are finding themselves playing second fiddle to corporate content, some community features removed and having no say what happens with their site.

That's horrible! Though, I post most of my stuff here, I have post some stuff on Smackjeeves but never payed attention to it that much because I didn't feel that I could grow my content there.

So a phone company approached this site, offered money, then you found the caveat, you said no because you knew what would happen, then you discovered Smackjeeves bent over and gave everything to NHN. Woooooow.

Looks like I missed a lot on here, mainly because my parents were moving without me or my sister so I was far more focused in saving my money in getting a apartment and allocating my money to savings rather than my project. Plus A LOOOOOOOT of personal issues. So sorry for the LONG hiatus. lol.
MegaRdaniels at 4:47AM, Dec. 19, 2019
(online)
My idea for the site? Um…I dunno. Everything is quite fine right now, I dunno, something about having some animation content or something, not sure.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon