Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Are my comic pages big enough?
Socratatus at 6:28AM, June 19, 2021
(offline)
Hi guys.
One issue I'm having with posting pics is how does it come across to the viewer. Is it too big too small?

Now someone has mentioned that my pics appear to be getting smaller, and so, harder to read. I always thought they were too big! They look enormous on my monitor!

So if anyone is able, please take a look at my pages and let me know if it's too big or too small or just about right and then I can tailor my pages sizes to work to what most readers findeasy to view. Just pop a mention to what you think of the size and legibility on the page itself.

Cheers in advance.
last edited on June 19, 2021 6:30AM
Andreas_Helixfinger at 1:14PM, June 19, 2021
(offline)
Well, I think the last pages you posted today were just about the right size. Page 9, 28, 29, 36 is where I find it so small that I'm having trouble reading the text without zooming. But if you could keep it all in the same size as the last page that would be the way to go for me.
Socratatus at 3:30PM, June 19, 2021
(offline)
Thankyou very much. I'll be going over and fixing it.

Thanks again.
bravo1102 at 1:11AM, June 20, 2021
(offline)
A good rule of thumb is a page sized image (8 by 10, 8 1/2 by 11) at 100-150 dpi for screen viewing. The image is best below 1000 dots wide for a page comic. Strip comic can go wider. The page can be as long as you want.

You can use any number of templates but make sure to resize to 100-150 dpi before posting so the site doesn't resize the image. If too big it will resize and bug everything up.
Socratatus at 10:03AM, June 20, 2021
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
A good rule of thumb is a page sized image (8 by 10, 8 1/2 by 11) at 100-150 dpi for screen viewing. The image is best below 1000 dots wide for a page comic. Strip comic can go wider. The page can be as long as you want.

You can use any number of templates but make sure to resize to 100-150 dpi before posting so the site doesn't resize the image. If too big it will resize and bug everything up.

That's useful. I got the dpi right, just getting the size good that's the issue. I will also make use of this. Thanks.
last edited on June 20, 2021 10:04AM
Ozoneocean at 6:07PM, June 20, 2021
(online)
Always best to go bigger than smaller.
I would say make them the maximum size: 960 pixels wide.

Have a look how the page apears on your phone and different sized monitors, not just the one.
Normaly on smaller laptop, phone and tablet screens small comic pages are much harder to read.
bravo1102 at 1:38AM, June 21, 2021
(offline)
I'm not a fan of side scrolling and like just a bit of border on both sides when I look at a page so I go for 800-850. 960 fills up the whole screen and have to side scroll which can be a pain for a long page. Scroll down, side to side, down, side to side. Can't just scroll down. Hey I'm pre-arthritic here! :D

There is method to my madness. ;)
Socratatus at 2:55PM, June 22, 2021
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
Always best to go bigger than smaller.
I would say make them the maximum size: 960 pixels wide.

Have a look how the page apears on your phone and different sized monitors, not just the one.
Normaly on smaller laptop, phone and tablet screens small comic pages are much harder to read.

Thanks. :)
rickrudge at 9:43PM, July 6, 2021
(offline)
Hi Socratatus,

Well, I know that most web browsers can adjust the size of images and type. I would like to think that my web browser is set at a pretty medium standard size, but your pages (excellent artwork, by the way) does look slightly smaller than most.

As Ozoneocean said the maximum width is 960. One of your pages is 566 pixels wide and my pages are usually 900 pixels wide. I’m not sure what the file size you would have if you made them bigger, though.

Have you tried looking at “Staff and Steam” on different devices; phone, tablet, computer. It all will look slightly different.
Socratatus at 3:34PM, July 10, 2021
(offline)
rickrudge wrote:
Hi Socratatus,

Well, I know that most web browsers can adjust the size of images and type. I would like to think that my web browser is set at a pretty medium standard size, but your pages (excellent artwork, by the way) does look slightly smaller than most.

As Ozoneocean said the maximum width is 960. One of your pages is 566 pixels wide and my pages are usually 900 pixels wide. I’m not sure what the file size you would have if you made them bigger, though.

Have you tried looking at “Staff and Steam” on different devices; phone, tablet, computer. It all will look slightly different.

Hi there.
Didn't know you'd posted or I would've responded sooner. Sorry.
Thankyou for your comments.

Yes, I went through the pics and began to see where some were huge and some were smaller in size (like the 566 one).
I also loaded up on my mobile. I almost never do anything on the phone, so this was a little new to me. It's interesting seeing my book on the phone!

I noticed though, that small pages can be scrolled bigger.
Anyway, I have adjusted everything to 960/950 pixels, (another site I'm lookingg at says 950) which seems to work.

As you guys may have guessed, I'm still pretty new to putting artwork stuff up on the net, as I'm a pen and paper artist originally, but I'm getting it.

Thankyou, all.
last edited on July 10, 2021 3:39PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon