Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Soothing entertainment
hushicho at 4:53PM, Jan. 19, 2022
(offline)
Sometimes, I just need something soothing that isn't too challenging but makes me feel better. I need comfort, and I need to be able to put something on to watch or listen to that I know will not upset me. Some of the best sources of this are shows for children, but those can be really enjoyable because they have to make them easy to engage with and generally lovable.

I know not everyone here will find it as exciting as I do, but the dearly beloved series The Clangers has an official youtube channel. While I don't have much love for youtube, I do dearly love the Clangers, so I wanted to spread the word and the joy!

Clangers Official Channel

It's a wonderful series about adorable beings called Clangers, named after the sound the doors make on their tiny world. They have wonderful friends like the Soupdragon and the Iron Chicken! And perhaps best of all, they speak in a slide whistle sort of sound and are easy to understand.

I just want to spread the love for the Clangers. It's such a pure and delightful series, and I really have felt comforted by just turning on something nice on their channel.

I would also like to point you to the wonderful Molang and Piupiu, a series about a round bunny and his dearest friend, a small bird prone to stress. It's a series I found great comfort in at one of the hardest times of my life, and it's so sweet and comforting, and very life-affirming. I hope you'll all enjoy it.

Molang Official Channel

If you all have any other freely available or accessible soothing entertainment, please feel free to mention it here! I hope you'll all feel happiness and comfort from Molang and the Clangers, some of my very favorites of all time.
♥*♡∞:。.。 Official Site 。.。:∞♡*♥
Andreas_Helixfinger at 10:08AM, Jan. 20, 2022
(offline)
Clangers really reminds me of some of those old kid shows I used to watch back in the 90's. It made me think of this other show that I used to watch back then called I Mumindalen, or Tales from Moominvalley for the english-speaking. A japanese-finnish kid show from 1990 based on the books about a family of trolls called the Moomins, written by finnish-swedish author Tove Janssons.

I haven't really watched the show since, but I remember it being very soothing and nice. It's a beutifully drawn and animated show to boot. Perhaps you've already heard of them. I found this Youtube playlist on some episodes, titled The Moomins, in english in case you wanna check it out.
last edited on Jan. 20, 2022 10:11AM
hushicho at 5:24PM, Jan. 20, 2022
(offline)
Thank you so much for adding the wonderful Moomins to this celebration of soothing entertainment! One of my very dearest friends is a huge fan and has many of the books and other fun things. They're always wonderful to see!

They have an official channel too! With plenty of wonderful fun and adventures. They also have an official site with lots of fun to discover! Molang and the Clangers also have official sites.

Molang Official Site
Clangers Official Site

I hope we'll see even more lovely relaxing, comforting entertainment here.

I'd love to add Bagpuss, but unfortunately there is no official Bagpuss channel yet. One day perhaps! We can hope.

You can watch the official VHS release converted to digital here. It's not the quality we're used to, but it's perfectly fine and may even be more soothing for its fuzziness! I love Bagpuss so very much.

last edited on Jan. 20, 2022 5:29PM
kawaiidaigakusei at 12:01AM, Feb. 8, 2022
(online)
Thank you for this topic, Hushicho. I am very thankful for Sprout Television and the show that warms my heart the most is Kipper the Dog. There is one episode in particular called “Fun in the Sun” that I turn to whenever I feel a massive headache coming on and I just want drift off to sleep watching two dogs and two pigs riding on a sailboat and building sand castles on the beach.

The Clangers was also a joy to watch, with those crocheted creatures and motion stop animation. It reminds me of claymation.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Feb. 8, 2022 10:56PM
Ironscarf at 2:39PM, Feb. 8, 2022
(offline)
Not sure I should admit to watching The Clangers when they first appeared in 1969, but I was quite young at the time. Iron chickens, music trees, blue string soup served up by a dragon - you can't get much more 1969 than that! Lovely stuff.
last edited on Feb. 8, 2022 2:40PM
hushicho at 4:24PM, Feb. 8, 2022
(offline)
I'm so glad you're all enjoying the soothing programming, and I hope to see even more wonderful stuff here that we can all enjoy! It's rare to see such works that just get it so right and are so comforting, and it's well worth sharing.

That's so wonderful you got to see the Clangers when they were first on television! I think the Clangers are brilliant, and I've always loved them since the first time I saw them. The Iron Chicken is always my fav!
Ozoneocean at 10:04PM, Feb. 8, 2022
(online)
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

I watched that when I was younger.

A British friend introduced me to bagpus at uni. The fix-it song by the mice was very charming.
She also introduced me to Zippy and his gang. Bungle the bear was horrifying!

In Australia we had Mister Squiggle :)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon