Comic Talk and General Discussion *

DrunkDuck is being redesigned! Pics and info inside!
Ozoneocean at 12:56AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
What you're talking about sounds like a typical CSS problem to me and I know that template relies on them heavily: if the CSS does not load correctly for whatever reason then formatting will go to crap. Often text and background colours are set in CSS, of it doesn't load right thos is the sort of thing that happens.
It may just be that the server can't find the address of an external css?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Genejoke at 1:15AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
okay I cannot access comics I assist on AT ALL anymore, I cannot access the old style “my account” and the new takes me to my profile editor but no way to edit comics. Obviously I can click edit on individual comics on the my comics but as mentioned my assisted comics do not show.

It is getting faster which is cool though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
Ozoneocean at 1:34AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
Genejoke
okay I cannot access comics I assist on AT ALL anymore, I cannot access the old style “my account” and the new takes me to my profile editor but no way to edit comics. Obviously I can click edit on individual comics on the my comics but as mentioned my assisted comics do not show.

It is getting faster which is cool though.
You should still have the old style sidebar in the forums. Click on “my comics” to expand the list of both your own and the ones you assist on. You can go to your assisted comic that way :)

Uploading isn't working though :(
Genejoke at 2:05AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
No it doesn't work at the moment. I could yesterday but not today.
Ozoneocean at 2:24AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
Uploading or accessing assisted comics?
Because I can access assisted comic that way fine, but not update.
AzuJOD at 2:51AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
Is anyone else seeing this?

EDIT: Link to a bigger image
You might want to look into fixing that…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
skoolmunkee at 2:56AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(offline)
Yeah, we've told them the forums are spitting out weird error and code messages, but your screenshot is useful. Thanks!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
Genejoke at 4:35AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean

I cannot access them at all, it just takes me to the new style account management. Also cannot update them as I cannot access them. We're going to wait to update cubicle, we'll do it when the dust has settled.

EDIT!
It worked this time.
Niccea at 7:08AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(offline)
Here is an odd thing to just make note about for the future. This actually was also in the old site. Whenever TheFlyingGreenMonkey (and I suppose anyone with an equally long user name) posts in a thread, the green moderator tags slide to the left.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
ayesinback at 8:13AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
Haven't seen anyone else mention this, but “my friends” are not showing up in my profile or account, in none of the new tabs. I liked being able to link to their profiles to check out the comics – it was an easy nav.

Last, I can't upload a little 30K avi jpeg. I hit upload and the browser (this is firefox) seems to being running through the connects before it reaches “Done” with nothing happening.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
SpANG at 8:36AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
Genejoke
ozoneocean

I cannot access them at all, it just takes me to the new style account management. Also cannot update them as I cannot access them. We're going to wait to update cubicle, we'll do it when the dust has settled.

This should explain things…

OLD FORMAT shows comics assisted:

NEW FORMAT does not, just comics owned:
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Ozoneocean at 9:35AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
SpANG
This should explain things…
Yep, noted. It;
's the forums that people have to use it in.

@Ayes: Your friends should show… That will need looking into. I'm off to bed now though…

@Niccea- yeah… TheFlyingGreenMonkey Grrr! Stoopid longname hoolagan! :( Should be warped to fit.
skoolmunkee at 11:04AM, Nov. 3, 2010
(offline)
ayesinback
Last, I can't upload a little 30K avi jpeg. I hit upload and the browser (this is firefox) seems to being running through the connects before it reaches “Done” with nothing happening.

This is to do with the image server being full. No new images are being accepted (and new comic accounts cannot be made, and changes to custom html won't take).

Check my most recent newspost for a summary of the bugs we know about so far and their status…es.

Sorry for the problems guys, some of these things are getting fixed though, and Oz and I are trying to keep on top of collecting/reporting these to Wowio. Yesterday wasn't fun. :
IT'S OLD BATMAN
usedbooks at 10:18PM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
Some stuff I noticed:

~The comment I received on my comic as well as the most recent news posts have vanished. I remember that happening with previous server moves, so I'd guess the same causes at work.

~My pre-uploaded page for Nov 4 updated automatically. The date is wrong (Nov 3), so it seems the clock is still off.

~The recently updated list on the front page HAS changed. Also the (new) control panel now shows the most recent update date as Nov. 1 (same as the “old” control panel). Neither yet shows the latest update, which went live at 1 AM EST (about 20 minutes ago).

EDIT:

In the last ten minutes, DD seems to have reverted back to its previous form – and all the changes that have happened in the last 12 hours or so seem to have been undone (the vanished news and comments reappeared; minor edits I made in my author notes have been undone; a pre-uploaded page I deleted reappeared). The clock is correct now too.

Uploads still don't work.

I'm curious to find out what the plans and timeline are now.

EDIT again:

Uploads DO work, despite the long list of errors that appear after I upload.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Medinoc at 10:43PM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
Well, I can only thank the administrators for going back (at least partially) to the old layout: The new Favorites dropdown sucked big-time (literally, because of the additional time and clicks it took to access it).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
kyupol at 11:08PM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
lmao now its back to the old drunkduck (which is much better). haha.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
SarahN at 11:52PM, Nov. 3, 2010
(online)
Welllll….so much for that. It was just a Beta though so I hope it comes back…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
Chernobog at 12:49AM, Nov. 4, 2010
(offline)
Thank the maker. Geez…

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
skoolmunkee at 2:42AM, Nov. 4, 2010
(offline)
Medinoc
Well, I can only thank the administrators for going back (at least partially) to the old layout: The new Favorites dropdown sucked big-time (literally, because of the additional time and clicks it took to access it).

Well, if by administrators you mean me and Oz, we didn't do it. :] It seems the people at Wowio decided to revert back while they get this server stuff worked out. It wasn't the beta that was causing most of the problems, it was the server and things to do with the actual move/changeover. There were loads of looping processes running in the background and lots of internal links being messed up, or something.

Anyway it's a surprise to me this morning that it's reverted, but when they let us know anything we will pass it on. Meanwhile I guess it's back to business as usual. :] Oz even did a feature! (I didn't do one Monday because the site was so crazy…)
IT'S OLD BATMAN
harkovast at 4:10AM, Nov. 4, 2010
(online)
DD seems to have reverted to its original version and is working again.
Has this redesign nonsense finally been abandoned before it completely kills the Duck?

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:44PM
skoolmunkee at 6:10AM, Nov. 4, 2010
(offline)
Haters gonna hate.

If you read the post right above yours, I've explained that most of the problems were to do with the server transfer, which is a complicated process. DD is a strangely coded site with a lot of stuff on it and a lot of databases, many of the things that went wrong they weren't able to anticipate and didn't have quick fixes.

They've just taken the new site down while they fix a bunch of the problems, rather than have everyone suffer through a partially-functioning site while they fix them. They can take their time to fix it properly, less stress for everybody. I know the expectation of the internet is “everything has to magically work perfectly immediately” but that's just not reality. We have to have a bit of patience and a couple days of a website working poorly is not going to hurt anybody.

A redesign isn't going to kill Drunk Duck, it's gone through far worse and come out better. Wowio is deeply invested in the site and unfortunately it's going to take some time to get some of its background/coding issues fixed up, but they are committed to updating the site to be better-looking and have better features. We all know that some people are simply resistant to change in any form but 98% of the time after people get used to it they are happy with it.

I really don't see how years of stagnation and neglect are preferable to a situation where money is invested, programmers are dedicated to the site, and upgrades are happening. The longer DD went on being unchanged the bigger the backend/database problems got. DD was unsustainable and unprofitable and Wowio is taking positive steps to change all that, both for their own benefit and to make the site a better, more usable place.

All we can do though is just ask for some patience. :] There have been some temporary inconveniences but Wowio is committed to making DD a better site.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
michael roche at 6:23AM, Nov. 4, 2010
(online)
The new design is nice, but maybe I'm just old. I really appreciate the ease of the old design. It was simple, fun and easy on the eyes.

Perhaps a new feature could be DrunkDuck selects a registered user each week and allows that registered user to spotlight 5 of their favorite comics on this site…
One popular, one that's not so popular, one for the writing, one for the artwork and one that is their own creation. (5 total)

Just an idea. Aside from that, i LOVE this website and am sp grateful to have the opportunity to post my work, rather than have it sit in a pad under my bed or on a shelf. Great work on this site.

Michael Roche
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
michael roche at 6:26AM, Nov. 4, 2010
(online)
oh yeah. i will be patient. You guys/gals defintiely work hard on this site.
Great job and I look forward to the new design being totally up and running.
roche
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
smkinoshita at 6:30AM, Nov. 4, 2010
(online)
I was surprised to see the site reverted. A lot of complaints are coming from people who have probably never had to deal with legacy code before. Speaking as someone who has, I know it can be a real nightmare.

Because everyone wants what they've done to stay the same. But the old site probably has tonnes of wonky code we never notice because those features are disabled and enough kludges are in place to keep things moving smoothly.

Please be patient. A few days without your DD comics won't kill you. If you manage to forget the storylines in that short period of time, that's what the ‘archive’ buttons are for. ;)

Remember, the Duck is a great community site. It's got its fair share of problems but at least you can run your own ads on it and have a lot more control and features than other free comic hosting. I already own web space and I still prefer the Duck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
JillyFoo at 6:45AM, Nov. 4, 2010
(online)
kyupol
lmao now its back to the old drunkduck (which is much better). haha.

Yeah it is back…

WEIRD!! It was all just a bad dream?

EDIT: Other than the glitches the redesign is good. I especially like the easy scroll over and read comic descriptions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
harkovast at 7:22AM, Nov. 4, 2010
(online)
Sorry to be negative, but that revamp was pretty disasterous.
I dont mind change, they can make the site look however they want, but it needs to carry on working! It is not chagne I am resistant to, its not being able to use the site that I dont like!
I dont honestly have any opinion on the redesign yet. I have yet to see what it is like when it works so I am reserving judgement till then.

smkinoshita- Wont kill me…but it has come close a few times!
ALso, the great community you speak of didn't do much good yesterday because the site redesign made all the forums go down, thus rendering me unable to interract with the community.

But ust ot prove I can be helpful and not just angry…here is a suggestion-
What if there was a section on the front page for new comics? Not ones that just updated, but ones that just started. It would be fun to see what new comics were popping up.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:44PM
skoolmunkee at 8:01AM, Nov. 4, 2010
(offline)
Guys, let's keep new suggestions to the suggestions subforum, otherwise they'll get lost! :]

Sorry if it sounded like I was annoyed or anything, but your post did kinda sound like “well that was inconvenient, I hope they give up forever” :)

On the whole people have been really patient and supportive of the changes, and the people with complaints have been very reasonable. We're not trying to tell people they have to be happy about it, just be understanding of some of the difficulties we may not see. It is likely the functionality of the site will change to some degree, but hopefully all of our old features will be retained. We really do have a bunch of people who care on the Wowio end and they are listening to us. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Ozoneocean at 8:12AM, Nov. 4, 2010
(online)
Suggestions aren't for here man, sorry. They're great ideas, but they'l get lost here and the new design isn't going to include them anyway, since it takes so long to implement that sort of thing and the new design has already been finished.
Best to pop those in the suggestions forum! :)

If you need to talk to the D community when DD id dead, our old traditional fall back in times of disaster is our LJ group:
http://community.livejournal.com/drunkduck/

We also have two Facebook groups
Closed one where you have to ask to join, but people usually talk to each other so it's good;
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_163513653676302&view=permalink&id=169185826442418#!/home.php?sk=group_163513653676302

Open one where anybody can post but only usually advertise their stuff so it's sometimes a bit lame…
But lately there have just ben complaints. lol!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_163513653676302#!/group.php?gid=2307463656

Of course there's also Twitter… Not as social and community but still somewhere where you can find out stuff and lots of other DD people are members so you can follow the friend links and see what they're doing or talk to them:
http://twitter.com/DrunkDuck

And I'm also there:
http://twitter.com/ozoneocean
Niccea at 8:37AM, Nov. 4, 2010
(offline)
Yay! We are back in my timezone. Now I won't get confused anymore. (Not that I minded about the change of time, it was just so sudden).
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
lefarce at 8:46AM, Nov. 4, 2010
(online)
Thank you for rolling the site back. I never thought I'd be happy for this version of DD.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon