Comic Talk and General Discussion *

DrunkDuck is being redesigned! Pics and info inside!
Product Placement at 2:22PM, Sept. 29, 2010
(online)
I still support the idea of including a feature where readers are allowed to choose their own color scheme.

I've seen sites do that before and it's nice feeling to be able to personalize it a bit. It doesn't even have to be that many choices, maybe the original color scheme, this one and few others. It aught to silence all nitpicking about the current/future color, since people will feel appreciated to be able to pick the scheme they hate the least :Þ
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
srhdt at 3:13PM, Sept. 29, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
I still support the idea of including a feature where readers are allowed to choose their own color scheme.

I've seen sites do that before and it's nice feeling to be able to personalize it a bit. It doesn't even have to be that many choices, maybe the original color scheme, this one and few others. It aught to silence all nitpicking about the current/future color, since people will feel appreciated to be able to pick the scheme they hate the least :Þ

I can say that this is definitely a feature we are planning to implement into DD. This will happen eventually. Probably as part of the next feature roll-out after this one coming up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
Salsa at 3:30PM, Sept. 29, 2010
(offline)
Much Better on the color. Other than that, I'm just going to wind up parroting what others have said about moving the feature row down below the logo and advertisement bar.

Okay I lied. I do have one other thing. Is there going to be a news/blog archive button on the left like with the featured comics archive?
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:18PM
srhdt at 3:43PM, Sept. 29, 2010
(online)
Salsa
Okay I lied. I do have one other thing. Is there going to be a news/blog archive button on the left like with the featured comics archive?

You can just click on the “News” button in the header and have access to the entire news/blog archive. :)
Niccea at 4:11PM, Sept. 29, 2010
(offline)
Thank you very much for taking what we said about colors and Quail's random into account. I'm really happy that you listen to user feedback and don't go blazing on ahead. Means a lot to us.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Macattack at 4:55PM, Sept. 29, 2010
(offline)
so supposedly like a day and a little bit left till we see this go live. I must say I'm pretty pumped for this
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
DAJB at 11:17PM, Sept. 29, 2010
(online)
srhdt
Secondly, based on the general feelings of most of the people here, we've decided to keep the Quail's Random row in the homepage and keep the Most Liked row out for now. We actually have some really cool plans for the Like button in the near future, such as incorporating a “recommended comics” feature into the site based on the comics that you “Like”, kind of like what Netflix or Amazon does. But until we can implement that kind of stuff, I don't want to take away a feature on the home page that so many people clearly enjoy and replace it with something that isn't quite as fully utilized as it will eventually be in the future.
You're a star!
;-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
JustNoPoint at 3:54AM, Sept. 30, 2010
(online)
Wow. Not to sound like an arse but I wasn't expecting the Most Liked Comics list to be removed. Past experiences and all.

I think you guys won a whole lot of respect points! From me for sure but I figure from MANY others here!!!

Thank you thank you for really listening! And testing! I look forward to seeing the new and improved DD you guys are creating!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Ironscarf at 8:20AM, Sept. 30, 2010
(offline)
Yes, you've certainly impressed by the way you've addressed everyone's concerns here, not just paid lip service to them. We're not used to this kind of treatment. Actually, we're not used to any kind of treatment!

Furthermore I'm going to be a gigantic arse (that's English for ass) by saying the colour is now too dark and too blue!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
lefarce at 9:15AM, Sept. 30, 2010
(online)
The reason major sites like Youtube, Facebook, and Myspace user cooler colors (specifically lots of whites, greys, and blues) is because they'll keep a user on their landing page longer. Vivid colors tend to hurt the eye, or make a user want to close the window out sooner than something that is less of a visual strain. The layout, even in its newest form, is too busy with colors. In fact that bright green should probably get removed in general, it doesn't mesh well at all.

However, its nice that you guys are actually responding to the concerns over the template, instead of springing a new design on everyone and saying “deal with it, suckers!” I want to feel your warm embrace Wowio. We just got out of an abusive relationship with Platinum, but I can still feel its icey hands.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
Eviltwinpixie at 12:45PM, Sept. 30, 2010
(offline)
srhdt
Secondly, based on the general feelings of most of the people here, we've decided to keep the Quail's Random row in the homepage and keep the Most Liked row out for now. We actually have some really cool plans for the Like button in the near future, such as incorporating a “recommended comics” feature into the site based on the comics that you “Like”, kind of like what Netflix or Amazon does. But until we can implement that kind of stuff, I don't want to take away a feature on the home page that so many people clearly enjoy and replace it with something that isn't quite as fully utilized as it will eventually be in the future.

Wow, I hope you are able to bring that idea to fruition. :) It's a GREAT idea and would really add additional purpose to the “like” feature.

A big thank you to you guys for listening to suggestions. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
skoolmunkee at 2:32PM, Sept. 30, 2010
(offline)
Kinh is a great guy and he's been working very hard to make sure DD gets the love it deserves. Everyone's hands were tied for various reasons with Platinum, but it's great that Wowio has been able to give so much attention to DD and is so responsive to what its members think. They actually even listen to us admins. :D

Kinh, I think the new color looks very nice- it's a nice compromise between a visually vibrant site and one people can look at for more than a few minutes. Thanks for helping develop that. :] I like the green accents, they're distinctive and help keep the site from looking too ‘corporate.’
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
AQua_ng at 5:17PM, Sept. 30, 2010
(offline)
I just want to take the time to thank you for all of this work. I seriously cannot stress enough how grateful I am for the things you've done from taking our opinions on board to even updating the DrunkDuck Twitter account (don't think I didn't notice, you lovable rogue, you).

I just want to take Wowio out on a nice romantic dinner now.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
mlai at 6:23PM, Sept. 30, 2010
(online)
Someone
“Secondly, based on the general feelings of most of the people here, we've decided to keep the Quail's Random row in the homepage and keep the Most Liked row out for now. We actually have some really cool plans for the Like button in the near future, such as incorporating a ”recommended comics“ feature into the site based on the comics that you ”Like“, kind of like what Netflix or Amazon does. But until we can implement that kind of stuff, I don't want to take away a feature on the home page that so many people clearly enjoy and replace it with something that isn't quite as fully utilized as it will eventually be in the future.”
The Top 10 probably should just be replaced by the Most Liked This Week.

Ofc, put the Top 10 in a prominent tab, like the Featured Archives. That way it can still be browsed.

But otherwise Top 10 is just a static row that never changes on the front page.

Most Liked This Week will probably be Top 10 anyways, unless author doesn't update.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Evil Emperor Nick at 7:46AM, Oct. 1, 2010
(offline)
mlai
Someone
“Secondly, based on the general feelings of most of the people here, we've decided to keep the Quail's Random row in the homepage and keep the Most Liked row out for now. We actually have some really cool plans for the Like button in the near future, such as incorporating a ”recommended comics“ feature into the site based on the comics that you ”Like“, kind of like what Netflix or Amazon does. But until we can implement that kind of stuff, I don't want to take away a feature on the home page that so many people clearly enjoy and replace it with something that isn't quite as fully utilized as it will eventually be in the future.”
The Top 10 probably should just be replaced by the Most Liked This Week.

Ofc, put the Top 10 in a prominent tab, like the Featured Archives. That way it can still be browsed.

But otherwise Top 10 is just a static row that never changes on the front page.

Most Liked This Week will probably be Top 10 anyways, unless author doesn't update.

That will probably depend on if it is a rolling 7 day total or a hard reset total such on TWC.

If it is a rolling one that it will be a more stable but I very much doubt as stable as the top 10 which has a higher barrier to entry. However if it is hard reset like TWC it is very likely to change fairly frequently durring the week the same way TWC has a fairly large shake up the first few days of every month and only settles back to normal after a few days.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Whirlwynd at 12:29PM, Oct. 4, 2010
(online)
I really like the new look =) It's a shock seeing so much green after mostly gray all this time!

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
Product Placement at 12:59PM, Oct. 6, 2010
(online)
Based on this thread, there seems to be some interest in creating an environment, where drunk duckers can meet together and have a webcam chat.

Perhaps that is something worth looking into, when looking at future possible forum/chat features?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
alwinbot at 3:30PM, Oct. 6, 2010
(offline)
Product Placement
Based on this thread, there seems to be some interest in creating an environment, where drunk duckers can meet together and have a webcam chat.

Perhaps that is something worth looking into, when looking at future possible forum/chat features?
Makes the whole site seem more like a community than a free comic hosting site with a very active forum.
Read this comic. It is the greatest journal comic ever written and drawn. Trust me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
Product Placement at 6:27PM, Oct. 6, 2010
(online)
alwinbot
Makes the whole site seem more like a community than a free comic hosting site with a very active forum.
Can't it be both? A community of comic creators?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Ironscarf at 2:28AM, Oct. 7, 2010
(offline)
Product Placement

There's definite potential in that. Holding real world get togethers in one place is only ever going to appeal to a small number of users, notably those who live close by and are at liberty to move freely - that excludes most. This could be much more all encompassing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
alwinbot at 3:55AM, Oct. 7, 2010
(offline)
Product Placement
alwinbot
Can't it be both? A community of comic creators?
Yes.
Read this comic. It is the greatest journal comic ever written and drawn. Trust me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
Salsa at 8:27AM, Oct. 7, 2010
(offline)
I know the first post said sometime this month, but any word on when the new design is going to be implemented?
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:18PM
srhdt at 12:59PM, Oct. 13, 2010
(online)
UPDATE!!!

Limited BETA testing for the new DD site is now open. If you wish to test out the new site, PQ me with a request, and I will add your username to the list, and reply back with instructions on how to access it.

We'll be accepting the first 100 people who PQ me with a request.
Blue_and_Aze at 1:43PM, Oct. 13, 2010
(online)
Blue: Looks great! I'm glad to see the lime green got toned down with something a little less… invasive on the eyes.

cant wait for the new layout! it looks amazing! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
harkovast at 4:14PM, Oct. 13, 2010
(online)
Its got me and kev on! It must be good!
Perhaps we should be a permanent part of the front page?

I dont suppose there is any chance of project wonderful adds being put on again? I got tons of hits when I could advertise on DD.

Also, I kinda like the idea of getting rid of the top ten and just doing most liked each week.
It gives a potential for what we see on the front page to be a lot more fluid and variable.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:44PM
srhdt at 5:48PM, Oct. 13, 2010
(online)
To all those of you who have PQ'ed me, I will reply to you most likely tomorrow morning PST with instructions on how to get into the beta site.

There's still spots available to check out the beta! I will let you guys know when it's full. :)
Product Placement at 6:31PM, Oct. 13, 2010
(online)
I'm assuming that the admins are already testing out the beta site but it's probably a good idea to give all the mods an access as well, so that they can get familiar with the new environment.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
srhdt at 12:21PM, Oct. 14, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
I'm assuming that the admins are already testing out the beta site but it's probably a good idea to give all the mods an access as well, so that they can get familiar with the new environment.

I don't have a list of all the mods in front of me, but I'd be happy to give them all access. If you want to send me a list, I'll be happy to PQ them all with instructions.
Product Placement at 12:26AM, Oct. 15, 2010
(online)
I'll admit that I'm not 100% certain of who all the active moderators are but Inkmonkey, Hawk, AQua_ng, Niccea and Hakoshen are the first ones to enter my mind.

I asked Ozone to send you a full list.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
skoolmunkee at 1:28AM, Oct. 15, 2010
(offline)
Guys, they are all listed on the forums mainpage next to their forums.

Terminal
Niccea
Hawk
Product Placement
AQua_ng
VegaX
Hakoshen
Inkmonkey

Good idea to invite them though. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM

Forgot Password