Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
Lonnehart at 3:32PM, May 19, 2013
(online)
I think I watch way too many of Stuart Ashens videos. Heck… right now I'm watching him on my TV…. the XB360(with Youtube app) is great for that when you're not playing games. I could do that with my computer too, but I like having the free processing power for other things…

Don't know why I like watching him. Maybe a lot of the stuff he review can be found here. Heck, sometimes I'm tempted to start doing reviews of my own because a lot of the stuff he gets is from China (I have easy access, he has to have people donate them to him). Or maybe it's the frustration he vents when he reviews some items (such as when he reviewed food from the Easter holiday… and his reaction to eating those so called “chocolate eggs”… which turned out to be pretty rancid).

View it right here…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eaw4mPsyuic

Or maybe it's because he's British. And I can't help but have a fascination for that english speaking country to the north across the globe from me. Then again a lot of their shows were shown here (the Black Beauty series, The Tomorrow People, Dr. Who, Paddington Bear, Danger Mouse and… BANANA MAN!!! AAUUGGHH!!!).

If I could I'd go visit one of the castles there and make believe I'm trying to negotiate with a dragon (sword waving and poking is negotiating, isn't it?).
Now time to deflect my father's constant requests to get myself a girlfriend and settle down to start a family…
last edited on May 19, 2013 3:35PM
gullas at 5:02AM, May 20, 2013
(offline)
*grumblemumblesunnydaysbrumblemumble*

and yes, I do realize that I should be happy about it 'cuz in the darkest of winter there is hardly any sun… it still annoys me…
bravo1102 at 5:17AM, May 20, 2013
(offline)
gullas wrote:
*grumblemumblesunnydaysbrumblemumble*

and yes, I do realize that I should be happy about it 'cuz in the darkest of winter there is hardly any sun… it still annoys me…
WHAT IS THAT HORRID YELLOW ORB IN THE SKY!??!!?

We all get like that even on the Jersey shore the week before Memorial Day and the Bennie/Guido invasion.
Rejoice! No new season of Jersey Shore! And Snooki has transmorgrified into a normal Italian-American mom.
Ozoneocean at 6:25AM, May 20, 2013
(online)
Bills… I gotta pay bills. -_-

WHich would be fine, but Ive spent quite a BIT on various expensive things so bills on top of that are painful.
When oh when will I get my arse in gear and go back to freelancing on the side???????????
Gunwallace at 12:45PM, May 20, 2013
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
When oh when will I get my arse in gear and go back to freelancing on the side???????????
You really should sit up straight when you work. Good posture is important. All this side-lying and arse-gearing is going to give you a bad back.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Lonnehart at 2:00PM, May 20, 2013
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Bills… I gotta pay Bill. -_-

Ugh…. we all gotta pay that guy. If we don't, we start losing stuff. I'm just lucky I don't have to pay his sister too…. You know… Rent.

lba at 2:50PM, May 20, 2013
(online)
I used to spend a lot on expensive stuff, until I said screw it and began making everything I could myself. Can't afford that snazzy IKEA bed frame you want? Buy a circular saw and make that mofo. Can't afford your nightly bender that helps you pass out in said bed? Brew your own booze with apple juice and some champagne yeast. Still not making ends meet and desperately want a TV stand to put that awesome 64" flatscreen on that you bought to play Halo with because you're irresponsible? Stolen wooden shipping crates from UPS's truck yard will look beautiful next to your shelves made of milk crates. And beer bottles make a great accent mood light over top of christmas lights you took from the neighbors front yard!

Yes, my home looks like I sleep in someone's back shed. Did I mention I don't get paid very much?

In other news, I finally was discovered by the Army about a month ago and as it turns out, because the Army doesn't have a platoon for me, I ended up being stuck in a Captain's slot at brigade headquarters. Which means that I am now the new Military Movement Security Officer and Unit Movement Officer. Which sounds totally awesome until you realize that apparently my job is mainly just making recommendations to subordinate units about where to send security and occasionally writing out the plan for how we're going to move people and stuff. And there's the fact that I'm pretty much totally doing work that someone with 6-8 years of experience and several classes on the subjects should be doing. So you know, just in case if you were wondering why it seems like your boss is hilariously inept, it might just be because somebody stuck him in a job he's never even heard of and it learning it as he goes.
same at 6:26PM, May 20, 2013
(online)
Got a note II. Have to say I love using it.
last edited on May 20, 2013 6:49PM
Ozoneocean at 2:34AM, May 21, 2013
(online)
@Gunwallce, I sidearse everything!

@Lonne, Love those shows ^_^

@lba, THAT sort of do-it-yourself is what I'm all about, but your options are limited when it comes to things like plane tickets and new smartphones… :(

@Same, AWESOME! The Note 2 is indeed bloody marvelous for artwork on the go!
Lonnehart at 3:34AM, May 21, 2013
(online)
Great. I see Ozone's new comic, but I read the title as “Bottomless Wallet”. -_-
Could make for a weird webcomic… where a guy has what seems to be limitless funds coming out of his wallet… which turns out to be a device some magician conjured up which takes gold out of the kingdom's treasury (because magical research is so expensive and he's too lazy or unskiled to create/sell magic items for money)… which would be why the King's men are after the protagonist who somehow got the wallet by accident…

There I go thinking again. Made worse by the fact that I'm out of coffee… again… T_T
Also found out that the Wii is a piece of junk for playing Youtube videos. Takes a long time to load 10 seconds worth of video, unlike the XB360 (and possibly the PS3) which has no loading time (it shows the whole video).
last edited on May 21, 2013 4:03AM
Ozoneocean at 4:26AM, May 21, 2013
(online)
HAHAHA, lonne, “Bottomless Waitress” is unambiguous enough for all sorts of fun thoughts already ;)
bravo1102 at 7:01AM, May 21, 2013
(offline)
lba wrote:
Military Movement Security Officer and Unit Movement Officer. Which sounds totally awesome until you realize that apparently my job is mainly just making recommendations to subordinate units about where to send security and occasionally writing out the plan for how we're going to move people and stuff.
What will they think up next? So does this mean you recommend the plans that others are supposed to plan and eventually impliment? Thank heavens you're not the Unit Transportion officer, then you'd have to deal with surly motor sergeants all day.

It finally got humid. The regular weeknight guy where I work had COPD and is a chimney chain-smoker and often can't breathe on humid nights. So I get called at 11:30 PM for a midnight shift. Thanks. But it is extra time.
gullas at 12:27PM, May 21, 2013
(offline)
I love the smell of spambots in the evening. Gives the illusion that our forum is actually more popular than it really is…
bravo1102 at 1:39PM, May 21, 2013
(offline)
And they're all in exotic European languages which makes them sound so unlike an advertisement for knock-off Swiss watches to the average American. Wowee, reee-al gen-u-ine replique klockor!
Ozoneocean at 6:24PM, May 21, 2013
(online)
Killed them -_-
Kroatz at 1:03AM, May 22, 2013
(online)
So, spambots, an empty forum and a website that keeps getting different errors… DD changed so much. At least some of my favorite people are still around.

Im currently working for a small company doing my mandatory internship. Whats new with all of you? Any big changes since the start of '13?
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
Ozoneocean at 1:47AM, May 22, 2013
(online)
That summs up the situation nicely…
Except that's the first spam we've had for over a year.
Litterally, that's the only spam attack we've had in a LOOOOONG time.

But the site bugs are more evil than any spammer.

——

Since the beining of 2013 I'm older, but still have to present my ID in nightclubs and people still think I'm at least 12 years younger… weee.

Nothing. Notheing of interest has happened except the advent of my new comic with Banes:
http://www.drunkduck.com/Bottomless_Waitress/
lba at 1:46PM, May 22, 2013
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
What will they think up next? So does this mean you recommend the plans that others are supposed to plan and eventually impliment? Thank heavens you're not the Unit Transportion officer, then you'd have to deal with surly motor sergeants all day.

More or less that's exactly what it is. I find out what units and equipment the brigade has to do the job and what routes or convoys need the security and then tell subordinate units that information along with the list of priority and they actually put the plans together and send people out to do it. Realistically, when you get to battalion and above officers exist mainly as a conveyor of information, excepting the command structure, who is primarily focused on setting policy, organization and overall schedule for the unit. Everyone else just collects and passes on info for the most part. It seems like very little work at first until you get there and realize that almost guaranteed, nobody actually bothered to get that info and you now have call 37 people to get it.

And as UMO i don't have to deal with surly transpo sergeants all day, just pissy supply sergeants who lack anything that could be construed as respect for anyone. I swear it's something about being in supply that does it to them. I already nearly tore one's head off for blowing me off when I walked into his office to get info from him. I'm not very well known for my patience with E-6's who just say “I have a staff” and walk away from me.
Lonnehart at 8:07PM, May 22, 2013
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:

Since the beining of 2013 I'm older, but still have to present my ID in nightclubs and people still think I'm at least 12 years younger… weee.

I know that feeling all too well. I had to get past 32 before it stopped… -_-
Writing out a weird Foundry quest for Neverwinter. Remember that link to Stuart Ashen's video about creepy girls toys? Should be somewhere in my more recent forum posts. The story goes where the player accepts a quest given by a Fairy Tale Pony named Bumfire and her Rabbit and Alligator friends. Their Humans are being zombified by some evil necromancer in a castle in the middle of a lake.

So the player (and possibly his party) takes the N.S.S. Sue Prior to the castle, fight through a lot of the Transformed, and confront the necromancer herself, Little Princess Pretty Woman who transforms into some kind of Eldritch Abomination. After the player defeats her she'll proclaim that “I will RETURN!!!” at which point the player tells them to “die in a fire” and sets the castle ablaze…

Now I gotta figure out the castle layout, the encounter placement, and how the heck I'll use the foundry system to create this weird story. :)

It was nice to hear Denise Crosby reprising her Star Trek role in Star Trek Online as Empress Sela. And she's as mean as always. Too bad I didn't get a chance to let my new Romulan character kill her. Evil woman got away and planted bombs all over the place to disrupt the peace conference…
last edited on May 22, 2013 8:18PM
Ozoneocean at 8:46PM, May 22, 2013
(online)
I still remember seeing her nude in playboy all those years ago… ^____^
Ironscarf at 4:11AM, May 23, 2013
(offline)
I write a lot of songs - they just pop into my head when I'm about. But this is a vent because my lifelong dream of being a succesful songwriter has always been thwarted by the odd lyrical nuggets the muses choose to send me. If I try to change them, make them more conventional, the magic such as it was is gone.

This morning's useless gift is a stirring My Way-esque song about a man who reflects on his failed life while standing in a supermarket automated checkout machine queue. Unfortunately it is called ‘Unauthorised Item In The Bagging Area’.
last edited on May 23, 2013 4:12AM
lba at 9:16AM, May 23, 2013
(online)
Given that Jonathan Coulton and Weird Al have managed to have successful careers with unusual musical arrangements and off-beat lyrics, I highly doubt that the subject of anything you might come up with would be off limits. I also happen to know of at least one song about a guy who's life is falling apart as he works at a coffee shop in his late 20's and the artist who made it has had plenty of commercial success. At least to the point his label is going on a binge of removing any content with over 100,00 views on youtube. Most people don't even know what the lyrics to the song they're playing are anyway. This song is all successful because of the musical arrangement not the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NQ48j8Fu5Q
Gunwallace at 8:10PM, May 23, 2013
(offline)
The Radio Play for 2013 needs voice actors …
Go to the hard to find forum thread http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/175517/ to sign up.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Ozoneocean at 8:56PM, May 23, 2013
(online)
Scarf's description remined me of something by Jarvis Cocker from Pulp. ^_^
Go for it Scarf, the world needs you quirky musicality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ironscarf at 1:56AM, May 24, 2013
(offline)
You may both be right - trying to sell such material to a publisher wouldn't work, they just want generic stuff - it's about getting up and doing it yourself. Never seen myself as much of a frontman/performer but when you think about it there've been loads of artists who just stand rooted to the spot - never seemed to do Roy Orbison any harm.

Of course, he had the glasses. What I probably need is a good hat.
irrevenant at 11:29PM, May 24, 2013
(online)
As a matter of interest, is there any chance of open-sourcing the site software? Can't say I have the skill to fix much myself, but I suspect some of the people here do…
ozoneocean wrote:

But the site bugs are more evil than any spammer.

bravo1102 at 9:56AM, May 25, 2013
(offline)
lba wrote:

And as UMO i don't have to deal with surly transpo sergeants all day, just pissy supply sergeants who lack anything that could be construed as respect for anyone. I swear it's something about being in supply that does it to them. I already nearly tore one's head off for blowing me off when I walked into his office to get info from him. I'm not very well known for my patience with E-6's who just say “I have a staff” and walk away from me.
It's not you, supply sergeants don't respect anyone. They're permanent fixtures and they know it. Somehow one has to trick and cajole out of them what they're supposed to give you wihtout comment. They all think they're Crapgame in Kelly's Heroes.

You want what? You want it when? Flash a 24 ounce gold bar and they're all smiles but have a gold bar on your collar and you're doomed.
Ozoneocean at 9:15AM, May 26, 2013
(online)
I finally paid those bills… :(
——-

Thinking about days:
Sunday afternoon- worst time of the week. The day feels like it's dying, there's no potential left, the struggle is over, it doesn't care anymore, it's a time that just feels like it's all about giving up and surrendering to nothingness.
Friday afternoon- Best time. All that potential… a stretch of glory and fun ahead. Freedom, late nights, late mornings, whatever. So many options for how you can spend your time. This time is ripe and ready for action. :)

It's Sunday evening right now. I wish it was Friday afternoon. :(
lba at 11:28AM, May 26, 2013
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
It's not you, supply sergeants don't respect anyone. They're permanent fixtures and they know it. Somehow one has to trick and cajole out of them what they're supposed to give you wihtout comment. They all think they're Crapgame in Kelly's Heroes.

Oh yeah. I know. I just miss our old one. Only supply sergeant I ever had around who wasn't a dick. A true gem in his field. Unfortunately, this one is playing every bit the part. Eventually he'll piss off someone more powerful than a 2nd lieutenant, get his backside chewed on, and probably start playing ball a bit more but in the mean-time his power trip is leaving me with a squad's worth of new soldiers, including myself, who are about to go into two weeks of field training and have absolutely no equipment. I just stay patient and persistent about what I want, like I do with everything in the Army.

I know exactly what you're talking about Oz, I get the exact same feeling despite that I work from home for myself so I could technically take a day off whenever I feel like it and weekends are essentially no different from any day of the week for me. I think it's just years of living on that monday through friday schedule indoctrinates you to feel like that. I just try to use it to my advantage, because that friday energy lets me get some of my most productive work ever done.
gullas at 12:06PM, May 26, 2013
(offline)
So my brother finished his college degree. I'm very proud of him. but I was kinda surpised that I found Rokulily's doppelganger singing with the women choir, that was singing during the ceremony…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon