Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2016 Rant/Share/General Discussion Thread
bravo1102 at 9:13PM, July 5, 2016
(offline)
ayesinback wrote:
Welp, I have a new, part time job as a pharmacist's assistant. I just started as I continue through the mandatory training, so essentially I'm a cashier right now (although once, for a few hours, I got to count pills and put them in vials).

The training is primarily on-line courses, which is great except when everyone else is trying to access them. There is not enough bandwidth and things won't load. Meh. It looks like me and the laptop will be sharing some early AM hours if I'm going to meet the deadline. So not crazy about this.

And guess who wrote and lobbied for the legislation that created the pharmacist assistant job because of the shortage of pharmacists in NJ?

My sister Melanie Willoughby, then president of the Retail Merchantstores Association, now senior vice president of the NJ business and industry association.

It really irked her that our nephew went through all training, was doing really well at and then quit because it was “too hard”

And that her younger brother is a ne'er do well irresponsible wastrel who spends too much time on Web comic sites.
Ozoneocean at 9:40PM, July 5, 2016
(online)
Ha, you should get Ayes to give you some pointers on the Pharmacist assistant job :)
With the family connection and all it's perfect.

I think that would be a super interesting job, you'd get to know about medications and drug interactions without doing the expensive sources that a pharmacist has to do.
bravo1102 at 10:21PM, July 5, 2016
(offline)
And give up a job where I can watch movies or work on comics all night? I got it too easy. I work long hours, bitch and moan but still have most of my time to myself.

I just have to find some way to get comic ingredients together so I could do it all at work. Looks like 3D or a nice tablet. We'll see.
Ozoneocean at 8:30AM, July 7, 2016
(online)
Get a Samsung Galaxy note tablet. You don't need the latest greatest model, any of them will do. Stick Sketchbook pro or something else on it and you're good to go.
Mine is an OOOOOOooooold model and yet I do most of the work of Pinky TA on it so you KNOW how great this device is. ;)
Genejoke at 10:22AM, July 7, 2016
(online)
I have one, I've never really gotten off the ground with using it for art but it does it well. Mines the 2012 model I think but still holds up well today.
bravo1102 at 9:36PM, July 7, 2016
(offline)
And it would be compatible with my Samsung Galaxy phone. Hmmm.

—–

September 2017, Mediterranean Cruise for sister in law, niece and her husband and the wife and me. Rome, Sicily, Ephesus, Santorini, Athens, Naples. Time to get back to learning Italian. Know at least a few phrases. I'll probably be rescuing the wife from all sorts of misunderstandings like I did in Britain.
Ozoneocean at 9:57PM, July 7, 2016
(online)
You could meet up with Tantz! Do it man. Do it!!!!

—–

Well I've been doing a bit of dating and it's been interesting. Met a lot of nice ladies… Nothing has really come of it. But I find I care less and less funnily enough. It's all become more and more like a game- Yeah, I think that's a good way to describe it.
There are rules and modes of play, paths you go down that lead to certain conclusions, goals to achieve and a compulsion to keep playing even after the interest and fun has waned.
bravo1102 at 1:49AM, July 8, 2016
(offline)
You only noticed now?
In some way or another all interpersonal relations could be considered game play. And indeed many individuals have their own games and make certain those around them play by their rules. And that is in addition to social rules and courtship rituals. Part of cognitive Behavioral Therapy is the self awareness of knowing you're in a game and making it clear you will not play by rules you don't agree with. No suckered plays.

So therr could be several layers of inter- related game play all at once. Which for some makes the hunt more interesting than the catch.

But then life is usually only boring if you let it be so. Least you can do is occasionally change the curtains, just to keep it interesting mind you. ;-D
last edited on July 8, 2016 1:55AM
Genejoke at 6:13AM, July 8, 2016
(online)
Dating later in life is definitely a funny game, I went through a whole cycle after the end of my marriage which is slowly being semi documented in a series of short stories in We are the duck. Only done one so far but I've started work on the second. I learned a lot from it, but all the hard way and now I'm in a similar place to what ozone described.
lba at 3:10PM, July 8, 2016
(online)
I long ago quit dating. I now use OkCupid solely as a means of entertainment called “spot the bad life choices”, because I live in a rural area where you either need to be into muddin' trucks, guns, drinking Busch and flannel, or ok with marrying someone on their second marriage and 3rd kid at age 24.

I've definitely noticed though, that American society has this major thing about sex and love, and really don't like single guys who are older than about 24. Once you reach that age, unless you're in something serious, people start to treat you like your options are “gay”, “creepy uncle”, “cool/quirky uncle” or “…we don't like to talk about him”. Girls? Good luck. At least around here, if you don't have a baby in you by 24, you either must be “f**k ugly”, or infertile in people's minds. This is a fairly conservative area so views change, but I've noticed that human beings have an amazing ability to worry about really simple things to the point of actually making them complicated regardless of where you go. I'm constantly amazed by the energy and effort other people put into worrying about whether or not people like each other.
last edited on July 8, 2016 3:11PM
bravo1102 at 4:59PM, July 8, 2016
(offline)
So true Iba.

Fortunately living in the Northeast the age is closer to 30. If you're really sophisticated or career oriented then it stops mattering and you become a “Sex in the City” character.

My sister has had all kinds of experiences since her divorce over 30 years ago.

I finally got a handle on dating just before I met my wife. It's all about networking and meeting people. I was pre-Internet so it was hard to find new opportunities. I really have a hard time socializing and had really poor social skills. But looking back I was too hard on myself. I did not do as poorly as I thought at the time. Once in a relationship was when I messed things up. ;-D
KimLuster at 7:30PM, July 8, 2016
(online)
I sometimes think I should have tried to be single for longer periods of time… I've almost always been in a relationship, and a couple of them ended up very badly (still paying for those even today haha)… Maybe being single sucks, but being in a bad relationship can't be better…
ashtree house at 8:47PM, July 8, 2016
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
So true Iba.

Fortunately living in the Northeast the age is closer to 30.

30 in my area as well, I believe the average age for having kids in Vancouver is 30.5, mostly because it's expensive to live here. I'm 27, so I am in a normal range here, but I was born in Saskatchewan, which is more like Iba's situation.. everyone is married and with kids by 25. In Vancouver, “Oh you're 27? So young!” in Saskatchewan, “Oh you are 27; not married and no kids? What is wrong with you?”

As for the dating game.. I have never gone out with a stranger.. I never went out with someone I met in a bar or a cafe, or online, or a blind date (not that I have anything against this, I just haven't come across it) Every person I have dated as been a friend or a long time co worker. I guess I don't really like the game? Everyone I have dated was someone I knew really well, so no guess work there. But unfortunately break ups mean friendships ended or bad work experiences.. so there is that…
last edited on July 8, 2016 8:48PM
bravo1102 at 9:13PM, July 8, 2016
(offline)
I had one blind date. And I ended up marrying her and twenty two years of marriage later I ask: why didn't I try blind dating sooner?
Lonnehart at 10:00PM, July 8, 2016
(online)
Dating… hmm… gonna stay away from that. I'm TOO OLD for it anyway (I'm 45) and most women I've met either have a boyfriend, a girlfriend, are married, or undesirable (some are somehow insane). So yeah… right now it's better to be single and unattached.
bravo1102 at 10:20PM, July 8, 2016
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
Dating… hmm… gonna stay away from that. I'm TOO OLD for it anyway (I'm 45) and most women I've met either have a boyfriend, a girlfriend, are married, or undesirable (some are somehow insane). So yeah… right now it's better to be single and unattached.

Nah, hop a plane to Canada and go out with ashtree house. Wouldn't be the first time Drunk Duck has brought two people together that were oceans apart.

Besides ozoneocean is just short of his 200th birthday and he's back to dating. (Why do you think he loves all things 19th century, he lived through it. All those antiques he bought NEW! )
last edited on July 8, 2016 10:21PM
Genejoke at 12:14AM, July 9, 2016
(online)
45 isn't that old, not much older than me and I'm… kind of dating… here and there. My anxiety and depression have mostly put that on hold, but I went out for a coffee with someone recently and we're doing it again soon. Neither of us want anything serious so it's more of a hangout type of deal which is cool.

The age for being married off with kids isn't such a big deal over here, unless you reach 40 maybe… but I do live in one of the more expensive parts of the UK.
Ozoneocean at 1:11AM, July 9, 2016
(online)
Dating at literally ANY age is fine. You just have to be confident enough to carry it through. Don't be self concious about it.

As for dating friends,yeah, that's a mixed bag. I prefer to keep friendships… but sometimes that switch goes off and you're attracted :)
Man, I WISH I worked with people I'd like to date :(
bravo1102 wrote:
Besides ozoneocean is just short of his 200th birthday and he's back to dating. (Why do you think he loves all things 19th century, he lived through it. All those antiques he bought NEW! )
Ahahaha! Oh god I feel like it sometimes…
Much like you Bravo, my interests and knowledge sphere are a bit off the beaten path, I have to consciously keep abreast of modern things or I become too out of touch or I can't relate to others well.

Still haven't watched Game of Thrones yet… I follow the spoilers though.
bravo1102 at 1:36AM, July 9, 2016
(offline)
No matter how hard I try to stay off the beaten track, something or someone always drags me back to the here and now of current events and popular culture.

After all the wife has that subscription to People magazine and I listen to news talk radio.

Over two years ago a coworker forced me to watch Game of Thrones. I was hooked. I saw it at the same time as a War of the Roses miniseries. A natural segue for me.
Lonnehart at 10:22PM, July 9, 2016
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:

Nah, hop a plane to Canada and go out with ashtree house. Wouldn't be the first time Drunk Duck has brought two people together that were oceans apart.

Dating? I dunno… Meeting and hanging out with a fellow member of Drunkduck! I'd go with that. :)

One thing I've found out about meeting women is that sometimes… even when they claim to have no one in their lives… some guy will show up out of nowhere right after she's left and attempt to dissuade you from further interaction with “his” girl…
bravo1102 at 12:11AM, July 10, 2016
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:

One thing I've found out about meeting women is that sometimes… even when they claim to have no one in their lives… some guy will show up out of nowhere right after she's left and attempt to dissuade you from further interaction with “his” girl…

I know that even happened when I was first starting out with my current wife. Except she preferred me. Happened before that too. Except the woman preferred me.

Guys just don't know when the let go and seem to think women “belong” to them. The woman should decide, not Mr. Testosterone.

And then there's the pity factor. If the ex wants to kick the shit out of me, the women that I tend to date will go with me over the guy who has to settle questions with his fists.

When the guy shows up and you ask the woman “So you want to be this guy's possession, or my partner?” Unless she's in some kind of co-dependency and likes abuse she won't go with being a “possession”.

And if she is in to that kind of co-dependency and likes abusive relationships I want nothing to do with her.
Ozoneocean at 9:07PM, July 10, 2016
(online)
I have to draw more!

I'm spending way too long getting my scene swap pages of Ashtree's Steel and Manitou done. Just have to finish the colour on the second page and then add the new dialogue :)

Drawing Pinky like that was a lot of fun. I can't wait to complete it!
ashtree house at 4:07PM, July 11, 2016
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
I have to draw more!

I'm spending way too long getting my scene swap pages of Ashtree's Steel and Manitou done. Just have to finish the colour on the second page and then add the new dialogue :)

Drawing Pinky like that was a lot of fun. I can't wait to complete it!

Eeek so excited to see! I am a bit behind, but it's inked and flat colors added on the first page. But it's alot of fun!
last edited on July 11, 2016 4:08PM
Lonnehart at 10:00PM, July 11, 2016
(online)
Woke up from an almost epic dream. Where I took a bus to a really huge sporting event which lasted a few days. It was at a stadium near the size of the Grand Canyon with lots of screens, free digital binoculars, etc… Only to have my wallet stolen from me leaving me with no money to even get in to watch. Then I meet the woman of my dreams… and her very handsome and super rich boyfriend. I turn away, start walking home and got hit by a jet plane… then woke up.

One of these days I'm going to have my brain examined…

o/` I got hit by a jet plane… Hit so hard I'll never get up again… o/`
last edited on July 11, 2016 11:15PM
bravo1102 at 11:20PM, July 11, 2016
(offline)
I recently dreamt that I repeated high school in two different school districts because of a paper work foul up.
I walk out of the school on opening day and can't find my car.

I can never find my car in my dreams. It is never where I parked it. Or it's on a lift in a thousand pieces. Once I stole a bus, another time I made up a vehicle that doesn't exist ( a VW bug pick up)

Never got hit by a plane though.
last edited on July 11, 2016 11:21PM
Ozoneocean at 12:24AM, July 12, 2016
(online)
Hahaha, speaking of paperwork foulups, that reminds me of when I went to Serbia last year and met my friend's first wife… his current wife's SISTER!
Her name is Melana, while his real wife is called Melina, and HIS name is Milan… VERY CONFUSING!

But it's not just confusing to us crazy English speakers it turns out. Oh no.
When Milan and Melina got their official marriage certificate the idiot official put her sister's name down instead.
This wasn't just a silly error though… It meant he was now married to the wrong woman in the eyes of the law, hahaha!
They all had to go back and forth to government offices for days to sort it all out, even though Melina was already married! XD
KimLuster at 6:28AM, July 12, 2016
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Hahaha, speaking of paperwork foulups, that reminds me of when I went to Serbia last year and met my friend's first wife… his current wife's SISTER!
Her name is Melana, while his real wife is called Melina, and HIS name is Milan… VERY CONFUSING!

But it's not just confusing to us crazy English speakers it turns out. Oh no.
When Milan and Melina got their official marriage certificate the idiot official put her sister's name down instead.
This wasn't just a silly error though… It meant he was now married to the wrong woman in the eyes of the law, hahaha!
They all had to go back and forth to government offices for days to sort it all out, even though Melina was already married! XD

This is movie material right here!!
bravo1102 at 5:05PM, July 12, 2016
(offline)
A Serbian screwball comedy about mixed identities and mounds of paperwork!

And the latest dream: I am lost in a mall, dressed very nicely looking for a hobby shop or an exit. And I find the exit it's the entrance to a gated community…
But man the cool stores I came up with and lots of messy displays. And why is Jones NY offering men's Oxford Street, in men's sizes in the lady's department?

Oversized men's oxford shirts are the new fashion statement! And they're merchandised in faux men's sizes!
Ozoneocean at 6:19PM, July 12, 2016
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Oversized men's oxford shirts are the new fashion statement! And they're merchandised in faux men's sizes!
At work that's one of the things I deal with: apparel, organising to get logos onto various garments, making a document that shows how it will look along with the list of various sizes and things.
Especially oxford shirts!

Men's sizes here are getting bigger and bigger! S, M, L are no longer meaningful. Most men are L now so that should be the new M, the M should be the S, and the S should be the XS… Then we have plenty in the XL range AND the 2XL. It even goes up to 5XL!!!! But thankfully there are as many 5XLs and Ss.

Sometimes, vary rarely the ladies will also have Oxford shirts, though this is for the office, not fashion. Nearly all of the time they have shaped Metro-shirts with 3/4 sleeves. Common sizes are 10, 12, and 14, with a few 18s.

bravo1102 at 9:17PM, July 12, 2016
(offline)
When I worked retail we sold a lot of white oxford button down collar shirts to girls. It was part of the local Catholic high school uniform. Let me measure your neck and sleeve length my dear. As if a teen girl was ever bigger than a 15 inch beck. Most went with 16-16 1/2 because they wanted them really baggy.
It was really funny when I would see them walking around the town the school was in. The shirt tails untucked were longer than the length of their tiny skirt, which the girls usually hiked up. You see school girls do wear outfits like they do in anime. They really were that short.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon