Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Contributing to the Quackcast! We need your recordings/scripts!
skoolmunkee at 12:32AM, Aug. 2, 2011
(offline)
Quackcast 38: Google Plus
Have you tried using Google Plus for your comic? Just interested in receiving stuff with your thoughts, experiences, tips, etc… The time limit for this one is slightly longer, you can go up to 3 minutes. :]

Submissions due: Before Friday, August 5th

Quackcast 39: World-Building
How to create/develop an interesting world for your comic! Again, whatever you think might be interesting to share. :]
Submissions due: Before Thursday, August 11th
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Genejoke at 1:29AM, Aug. 2, 2011
(online)
isn't google+ still invitation only?
skoolmunkee at 6:38AM, Aug. 2, 2011
(offline)
Yes, but with the signup numbers they're getting I don't think it's limited. You just need an invite from someone who is on it. Maybe it's worth setting up some kind of “get google+ invites” thread?
IT'S OLD BATMAN
RPGgrenade at 2:45PM, Aug. 6, 2011
(online)
I sented-ed mine =D

The liquid creations of Gods passed down to man, but sometimes an object of the gods' realm can cause chaos in the mortal realm.
Read Nectar of the Gods!
skoolmunkee at 8:25AM, Aug. 15, 2011
(offline)
Some great submissions, guys! Thanks. :]

OK, next topic!
Quackcast 40: The Best-Laid Plans
Oz recently went to comic-con San Diego, which he prepared a lot for… almost none of which worked out! Do you have a story about something you've planned, which failed, which you had to try and salvage? Or just some advice for planning for the unplannable? Salvaging the seemingly unsalvageable?
Submissions due: Before Thursday, August 18th
IT'S OLD BATMAN
ayesinback at 9:31AM, Aug. 15, 2011
(online)
skoolmunkee wrote:
Do you have a story about something you've planned, which failed, which you had to try and salvage?
oh my.
perhaps failed is not spot-on – otherwise, yes I DO have such a tale,

but the telling would be premature as the story is still being told.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
skoolmunkee at 9:28AM, Aug. 17, 2011
(offline)
Some stuff has come up so we're going to have to cancel this week's quackcast, but more information about the next one forthcoming. :]

Haha, and the intended topic was “The best laid plans…” Figures. :I
IT'S OLD BATMAN
skoolmunkee at 5:24AM, Aug. 31, 2011
(offline)
OK, the quackcast is back on, we need some last-minute submissions! Sorry for the short notice, but we had to make sure the quackcasts were still gonna get posted and everything without Kinh. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
skoolmunkee at 5:03AM, Sept. 7, 2011
(offline)
Quackcast 42: Non-Traditional Comics
This one's going to be a little exploratory, since people's definitions of non-traditional are going to be different. Is non-traditional the same as experimental? When does a webcomic stop being a webcomic? Does a different tool or technique make something non-traditionalor is it something more? (And we'll probably talk about our favorites!)
Submissions due: Before 8am Eastern US time September 10th (Saturday)
Quackcast 43: Cosplay
Does cosplay have anything to do with webcomics? Well sure, if there's any people cosplaying them! We intend to have a guest for this one, but it's great to hear input from others about the topic. (Especially if it also has somehow to do with webcomics, haha!)
Submissions due: Before 8am Eastern US time September 15th (Thursday)
IT'S OLD BATMAN
RPGgrenade at 7:48AM, Sept. 10, 2011
(online)
wow these topics are getting harder and harder for me to be able to send in an opinion of, since I've never really thought about experimental comics o.o;
Also the cosplay thing sounds interesting… too bad my characters aren't really cosplay worthy because they don't have cool looking clothes

The liquid creations of Gods passed down to man, but sometimes an object of the gods' realm can cause chaos in the mortal realm.
Read Nectar of the Gods!
Ozoneocean at 10:16AM, Sept. 10, 2011
(online)
Actually number 43 might be all about the DD radio play and we might put cosplay back to number 44. ^_^
bravo1102 at 12:50PM, Sept. 20, 2011
(offline)
It occurred to me that my photocomics are all cosplay because even if they aren't real people wearing full sized costumes, I still have to design and acquire/make the outfits and dress the whole cast.

So a photocomic is one big cosplay.
skoolmunkee at 1:02AM, Sept. 21, 2011
(offline)
Haha, that's an interesting point! It's all about the dress-up. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Kroatz at 3:34PM, Sept. 21, 2011
(online)

It's absolutely of no importance who or what V was under the mask.

David Lloyd - V for Vendetta

Isn't that the essence of cosplay?
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
last edited on Sept. 21, 2011 3:36PM
RPGgrenade at 5:00PM, Sept. 27, 2011
(online)
Grrrr…. I still have to wait to send in a script because i don't know anything about the current topics >.<

I'll just wait until there's a topic that does work for me

Read Nectar of the Gods!
FormerDDer at 1:28PM, Sept. 28, 2011
(offline)
I sent in a submission to skool's email. Thought I'd put my two-cents in.
skoolmunkee at 12:44AM, Sept. 29, 2011
(offline)
received! I haven't had a chance to listen yet but I'm sure it's great, and we are glad to have it. :]

I think we are still sorting out whether we'll get our guest for “cosplay” this week, so we might be talking about 24-hour comics instead, if anyone has something they want to send in the next day or two about that?
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Genejoke at 5:27AM, Sept. 29, 2011
(online)
hmmm, I could. not sure how interesting or informative it will be.
skoolmunkee at 10:53AM, Sept. 29, 2011
(offline)
What we could really use is advice from people who have done it! I know you haven't done the full 24 hours but even long stretches require some preparation and doing. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Genejoke at 12:18PM, Sept. 29, 2011
(online)
That was sort of what I was thinking.
skoolmunkee at 2:10PM, Sept. 29, 2011
(offline)
And also any working processess, time management, etc would be super helpful!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Genejoke at 12:42AM, Sept. 30, 2011
(online)
Is it too late for this? I can do something later today if still needed.
skoolmunkee at 1:01AM, Sept. 30, 2011
(offline)
Nope, not too late! We're not recording it til like 5pm GMT (and I could always edit a clip in before the end of the weekend.)
IT'S OLD BATMAN
RPGgrenade at 7:59AM, Oct. 7, 2011
(online)
I waaaaaant to beeeee able to seeeeeend in some scriiiiiipts!

Read Nectar of the Gods!
skoolmunkee at 10:10AM, Oct. 7, 2011
(offline)
We are recording our cosplay show tomorrow!

Oz and I agree we need to set up a better advance schedule though so people have topics/time to contribute. :] I'm writing myself a note right now to agree on some topics tomorrow.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Ozoneocean at 4:08AM, Oct. 8, 2011
(online)
How about RPGgrenade or someone else just does the whole QC and we just add our feature recordings on to it? ^_^

Man, I am lazy…

OK, I'll put more effort in this time:
How about RPGgrenade or someone else just does the whole QC including the features that they did themselves?

There, that's better! ^_^
Genejoke at 5:31AM, Oct. 8, 2011
(online)
Do you have any ideas for what you will do beyond the cosplay QC?
As for other ideas related to the QC, how about short interviews with thr crastors of featured comments, or perhaps just a recrding about it from them or a script, You could also do the same for the spotlights as well.
RPGgrenade at 6:27AM, Oct. 8, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
How about RPGgrenade or someone else just does the whole QC and we just add our feature recordings on to it? ^_^

Man, I am lazy…

OK, I'll put more effort in this time:
How about RPGgrenade or someone else just does the whole QC including the features that they did themselves?

There, that's better! ^_^
can I feature my own comic?! jk… no I'm serious…. or am I? you know i would do a quackcast with you guys… but i hardly have the time for anything like that XD plus it's not like I'm a renowned expert for anything in particular! i don't really deserve to be in a quackcast directly speaking =D

Read Nectar of the Gods!
skoolmunkee at 8:39AM, Oct. 8, 2011
(offline)
Do you have any ideas for what you will do beyond the cosplay QC?
As for other ideas related to the QC, how about short interviews with thr crastors of featured comments, or perhaps just a recrding about it from them or a script, You could also do the same for the spotlights as well.
We've talked a little bit about that before but I think the logistics put us off a little bit, since originally the ‘turnover’ for the features was fast, with us recording on the same day oz's comic is featured. I think we were worried we wouldn't get responses in time. We've been doing them on saturdays lately (a day which isn't great for me but necessary a bit often lately) so there's a little more time, so it might be possible. We could try sending a PQ or e-mail or comment for people asking them for comments/something to say. I'm not keen on having to always do interview questions for a feature though, not when adminning has been so unfun the last 6 months.

I'm just gonna be honest here and say that I'm running out of enthusiasm for these, like I've only got two or three more in me. I'm not sure how Oz feels but with the site feeling so dead lately and very little feedback/participation generally with the QCs I'm not sure if it's worth it (to me) to keep doing them, especially with the Wowio situation so rocky. On the QC two weeks ago I asked listeners to click the ‘like’ button or something so we had an idea of how many people listened and so far there's only four. I'm not soliciting for praise but we have no data about downloads/etc and most of the time it just feels like no one is listening to them any more. (Plus sometimes I feel like we've used up all the good topics.) It's been way too tempting since summer to say “let's just have a topic and not plan anything and just talk about stuff” and I'm not convinced that makes a very interesting or informational show. Considering how apparently fewer people have been listening since like, May? maybe they dont think so either. :]If neither oz nor I ever feel like putting much effort into it, perhaps that's a hint we should stop.Anyway we've been doing them for almost a year and it doesn't feel like there's been much benefit from them. Then again perhaps that's my own fault, I didn't think about how I'd measure success or something.

I feel bad about it because I know a couple of regular people do listen, and if I stop then Oz won't want to do it by himself. but perhaps someone with more motivation, time, and ideas would want to co-host (or take over)? It was convenient for us to do the QC because we're admins, but it could be any kind of show people like with other people doing it.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on Oct. 8, 2011 8:44AM
Ozoneocean at 9:03AM, Oct. 8, 2011
(online)
Oh Skool, you're such an emo. ^_^
(Sooo temped to draw an emo munke right now)

Seriously though, yeah… The QC is extra work that it seems we do just for the sake of work.

What I like about them is that it's another outlet for DD to communicate with people, adding another dimension to how we interact with fellow duckers and get information out there about the site and the things we're doing on it, like features and stuff and community projects… and investigations into different aspects of webcomicing can be interesting.

But it IS work and many's the time that I just approach these things with dread and reluctance because I just don't want to be doing more work.
So, the thing with soliciting ideas for Quackcast ideas isn't that we want suggestions so much as fully realised ideas, because the last thing we want is MORE work.

So… we would LOVE it if someone would do a whole guest cast!!!! ^__^

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon