Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Contributing to the Quackcast! We need your recordings/scripts!
Ozoneocean at 7:32PM, Jan. 12, 2012
(online)
We wanted to do that since late 2009, but it's an official position within Wowio and they get last say on that. They didn't sign off on it unfortunately.
Ozoneocean at 8:42AM, Jan. 25, 2012
(online)
This is about people who DON'T make a living from their comics.

I got the idea from Jillyfoo because it was really interesting hearing about all
the different jobs she'd had and how each one had different influences
on how she worked on her comics.

I'd like to do a show on how DD webcomicers make a crust. How do you
support your webcomicing lives? How DO you earn a living and how that
factors into your webcomic:
Weather you do a biographical comic or you put scenes from your real life in your comic, or you work on it or think about it at work in some way, or if your work gets in the way and means you have a lot less time for your comic.
Even if you are out of work or a student it all factors in and I'd love to know about it!

—————————

This Quackcast is going to have Skoolmunkee as a guest.
Please have any sumbissions in by Thursday Midnight on the 2nd of February.
Post written submissions here: http://www.drunkduck.com/forum/topic/174948/?page=1#2955417
And you can send recordings to “ozoneocean at gmail dot com”
Ozoneocean at 7:31AM, Feb. 2, 2012
(online)
My idea for future Quackcasts, after the success of Ayes and Banes now is to do the rotating host thing for real.

Tentatively it'll be Banes and I next week, then Banes and someone of his choosing after that, then that person and someone of their choosing and so on.
All people need to do is have a recording of 45 to 60 minutes in length and I can add all the intros, features and stuff later
Genejoke at 1:39PM, Feb. 17, 2012
(online)
I'd be happy to do one, oncce my life stops being so damned crazy.
Kroatz at 2:48PM, Feb. 17, 2012
(online)
I am willing to do another QC as well. I'd really like to do another concerning writing, this time not focusing on the world, not focusing on the characters but focusing on the actual story. The heroes' journey and all that.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
FormerDDer at 8:34PM, March 10, 2012
(offline)
I'd happily host a QC, but the problem is:

1. I'm no artist, so I'm not sure what I could talk about for 45+ minutes.

2. I don't think I could have a solid 45+ minutes to myself to actually record a QC. I live in a house with four other equally loud greek people, and privacy is just a myth. For crying out loud, I got my own room for the very first time in my life just this year! And I'm 24 years old!

So yeah. Unless I could record it in snippets and then edit it together later. That might work.
last edited on March 10, 2012 8:35PM
Niccea at 9:05AM, March 11, 2012
(offline)
With a topic given, I would be happy to try to do one.
Kroatz at 9:21AM, March 11, 2012
(online)
Isn't the point of the Quackcasts to have someone that knows about stuff explain it to people that like to know something about stuff?

You should do quackcasts about stuff you know something about, not research stuff so you could do a quackcast about it.

- Albert Einstein
Ozoneocean at 9:27AM, March 11, 2012
(online)
The general plane for the next few weeks, that Mr Banes and I have nutted out together is:

1. Story month.
That began with Kroatz's tutorial on the Monomyth and will continue with about 3 )maybe 4) more that Banes has written on screenwiting, covering all aspects of different types of story writing and structure.

2. Soap Omnibus edition
This will be a recap of the last few soaps all together in one, with links and discussion by as yet to be chasen people!

3. Women in webcomics.
Hopefully after the story month we'll have a small discussion group of women webcomicers. I have Noelle D Reeves comited so far (Strange Case, Dangermoth, The ballad maker etc), Id like to have Skoolmunee chair that one and also have Amellius and maybe enn Megan Rose on that one…. but I have to ask them all T_T

4. Art month.
This one is supposed to be 3 or 4 weeks intensive focus on art in webcomics. I do NOT know how this one will go yet, may need an expert or experts on for each one…
Kroatz at 10:20AM, March 11, 2012
(online)
Maybe Art month should have videos.

- Albert Einstein
Ozoneocean at 9:54PM, March 11, 2012
(online)
Would you like to be in charge of art month Kroatz?
I know you say that art isn't necessarily your thing, but that could give you the right insight into the best way to present the subject to people who want to learn.
bravo1102 at 10:15PM, March 11, 2012
(offline)
Kroatz wrote:
Isn't the point of the Quackcasts to have someone that knows about stuff explain it to people that like to know something about stuff?

You should do quackcasts about stuff you know something about, not research stuff so you could do a quackcast about it.
So when did Banes become an expert on writing? How did you become an expert on the monomyth? Your Master's thesis or Ph.d dissertation or did you just read Campbell's books for a class?

Seriously, an instructor has to make himself an expert in a subject often overnight sometimes on something he had little or no experience with previously. That is what instructors do. You immerse youself in the subject matter until it becomes a part of you and you can do that with anything.

Let's review my creds; I am a certified military instructor, certified instructor/operator Conduct of Fire trainer and tank crew evaluator and on the civilian side a certified teacher of Social Studies. I have rags on my wall saying that I know how to teach people how to do things except I doubt anyone listening to the Quackcast really wants to know about tank gunnery.

I know that some of the previous Quackcast “experts” were a little weak, but give them all a chance as even a know-it-all a-hole like me has learned stuff from people I would have never expected to. Being a good learner is a fundamental part of being a good teacher.
Genejoke at 10:04AM, March 12, 2012
(online)
In art month a 3D art discussion would be interesting, for me at least :). while I would be up for doing it there are more qualified people, house of muses springs to mind as I believe she even teaches it. I'm sure I read that in one of her posts once. You also have the usual suspects, el cid, dark pascual and dawaterat, among others.
Also, in regards to writing… perhaps you could get writing extrodinaire Gunwallace as a guest.
last edited on March 12, 2012 12:43PM
bravo1102 at 12:19PM, March 12, 2012
(offline)
I second gunwallace. If anything just to tell us how he manages to be so prolific!
Gunwallace at 12:52PM, March 12, 2012
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
I second gunwallace. If anything just to tell us how he manages to be so prolific!
I write everyday, rain or shine. The end. (That's not really going to fill up a quackcast.)
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Banes at 1:04PM, March 12, 2012
(offline)
Gunwallace, that's maybe the best writing advice there is!

Genejoke at 1:45PM, March 12, 2012
(online)
@Gunwallace. I'm sure you have some other pearls of wisdom though.
ayesinback at 2:31PM, March 12, 2012
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
AGREED!

I could go on (what else is new), but I think it comes down to: Gunwallace is shy.
You don't want us to hear you say eeeeeeeeg for egg, do you?
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Gunwallace at 5:17PM, March 12, 2012
(offline)
ayesinback wrote:
Genejoke wrote:

AGREED!

I could go on (what else is new), but I think it comes down to: Gunwallace is shy.
You don't want us to hear you say eeeeeeeeg for egg, do you?
Some people, they say, have a face made for radio. I have a voice made for print. But what the heck.
Kroatz at 6:30AM, April 1, 2012
(online)
OZ wrote:
Would you like to be in charge of art month Kroatz?
And then I wrote:
I'll sure try to help. I'm thinking of starting with some basic design principles, then continue on about different art disciplines, blatantly copy Scott McCloud for a while and end it with a short analysis of professional comic book artists and what defines their style. It might be cool to have you and Banes do the QC, I'll help with the research. - - - And Bravo1102, dude, you're bitter.

- Albert Einstein
last edited on April 1, 2012 6:33AM
Ozoneocean at 10:00AM, April 2, 2012
(online)
Kroatz, that sounds Brilliant! We will make this happen!
bravo1102 at 11:19PM, April 2, 2012
(offline)
Kroatz wrote:
And Bravo1102, dude, you're bitter.

Took you long enough to notice. Just do what everyone else does and shake your head, roll your eyes and say “That Bravo…” and go on about your business.

It could be a lot worse, I could be the one getting asked to research something I wrote lesson plans for years ago.
Kroatz at 1:02AM, April 3, 2012
(online)
I like bitter people.

It makes people more interesting and often gives those around them a lot of things to talk about.

- Albert Einstein
bravo1102 at 1:37AM, April 3, 2012
(offline)
Kroatz wrote:
I like bitter people.

It makes people more interesting and often gives those around them a lot of things to talk about.
One wonders why some are so bitter? Maybe because some are talked about so much and no one ever bothers to talk to them.
gullas at 6:10PM, April 26, 2012
(offline)
Just a quick thought @Ozone, what's next on the menu? I mean when writing month was done, art month was up but have you decided/planed on what's up for the summer?
Genejoke at 2:22PM, May 9, 2012
(online)
How about some merging the old quack with the ducks things with the quackcast? Get users to volunteer to record interviews that you can add to quackcast.
Gunwallace at 11:46PM, May 9, 2012
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
How about some merging the old quack with the ducks things with the quackcast? Get users to volunteer to record interviews that you can add to quackcast.
That would get a whole lot of people invovled, which can't be a bad thing.
Genejoke at 2:00AM, May 10, 2012
(online)
Exactly.
By prerecording it there is less work for ozone and banes, which I imagine they would appreciate.
Ozoneocean at 8:49AM, May 10, 2012
(online)
OK
Do it!
I have NO idea how Skoool organised those interveiws but if any of you want to go ahead, that's fantastic!
Organise an inteview, record it over Skypeusing something like Powergrammo
(www.powergramo.com)
Upload it to a dropbox folder and share the link to it with me via PQ.
Just keep it UNDER 1 hour. And NO swearing.
Gunwallace at 1:06PM, May 10, 2012
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
OK
Do it!
I have NO idea how Skoool organised those interveiws but if any of you want to go ahead, that's fantastic!
Organise an inteview, record it over Skypeusing something like Powergrammo
(www.powergramo.com)
Upload it to a dropbox folder and share the link to it with me via PQ.
Just keep it UNDER 1 hour. And NO swearing.
I would suggest a much shorter time limit (15 mins) for any interview. That way they could be used if the Quackcats was running short (Mwah ha ha ha, I'm so funny!) or several could be put together to form one quackcast.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon