Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA!
Lonnehart at 12:38AM, Feb. 25, 2012
(online)
feh… got another “freak flat”. Basically one of my tires somehow completely deflates. But when checked by a tire professional it seems perfectly fine. No nail/screw punctures, no pranksters, etc… Even witnessed it one night. The tire deflated in a half hour, but when I pumped it up and checked it for leaks I didn't find any, and neither did the tire person who fixes my tires. It's one freaky mystery…
Ozoneocean at 12:51AM, Feb. 25, 2012
(online)
Maybe an opening in a seem or something along the inside where it touches the rim? That way you wouldn't be able to find it easily and it would deflate slowly most of the time because of the pressure of the skin on the rim… unless it ended up rotated in the top position then there's be less pressure (from the weight of the car) and it might deflate a bit faster?

Just a wild theory.
Ironscarf at 4:55AM, Feb. 25, 2012
(offline)
lba wrote:

Yeah. I don't know how long my reappearance is going to last. The story of my disappearance is kind of a long tale, but it ends in me leaving for further combat training and officer candidate school some time in the next few months. It'd make for a pretty good comic if I should ever get around to it.
Ideally I'll not be going poof for another two years. It's rather nice to know DD and some of the old crew is still here though. That's does indeed warm my heart.
Hi lba - I too am dropping in after an extended absence. Good to see you and your familiar old avi - takes me back to less complicated times. Could it be that life was oh so simple then, or has time rewritten every line? Congratulations on your potential officership and moderatorship in waiting.

Ozone, very groovy musicals. Secret double life as a rock star and you never suspected - just like on Hannah Montana!
last edited on Feb. 25, 2012 4:58AM
bravo1102 at 6:27AM, Feb. 25, 2012
(offline)
lba wrote:
The story of my disappearance is kind of a long tale, but it ends in me leaving for further combat training and officer candidate school some time in the next few months. It'd make for a pretty good comic if I should ever get around to it.
(…)It's rather nice to know DD and some of the old crew is still here though. That's does indeed warm my heart.

You know you could do a digest in the “What Happned while I was away: The DD Soap” thread. And Armylife definitely makes for a great comic. Just witness Powerpoint Ranger and once upon a time Beetle Bailey, Snuffy Smith, Pvt SNAFU, and Willie and Joe.

Two years? Wow, that long already? I can'tseem to get away from this place for two days. But then anything so I don't have to work on my current projects.
Freak flat? Did you check the tire stem? It could be loose or defective. Also as Ozone suggested the rim seal.The balance could also be off which can cause air to escape from around the rim and not necessarily show up. Sometimes the leak is so small that even the soapy water doesn't show the air seepage until the the third or fourth go around. A tiny pin prick could go all the way through and be so small that it doesn't cause bubbles and be easily dismissed or be practically invisible. In the garage where I worked it once tooka couple ofhours to find a tiny pin hole. Sudden drops in temperature can also cause a slightly under inflated tire to lose all pressure over night. That has happened to me. In fact in nearly thirty eyars of driving I've had everything happen with tires including the infamous blow-out in the rain while wearing a suit.
last edited on Feb. 25, 2012 6:41AM
lba at 8:00AM, Feb. 25, 2012
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
They slowed down mainly because of the incomplete functionality on the site that doesn't encourage people to hang around as much- weird JavaScript forum text entry forms, no stats on comics, no PQ notifications and so on.By aaaanyway, Congrats on the officer training thing man! Wow! last time you were around you were just getting a BIG graphic design contract from a bank or something and also making noises about going off and maybe joining the army to pay the bills.So what happened?If you've got them, add me on Google+ https://plus.google.com/111477130608520952736/postsor facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ozoneoceanI'd love to stay in touch!

Yup, that was the project for the Milwaukee Bucks basketball team. That was right about when I started working towards my masters and that project led to me teaming up with another designer to start our own company. Long story short, he did some stupid things business-wise and we ended up running out of work about 6 months in and we never got anything new coming in. So I ended up deciding to quit the masters plans, ( It was just turning out to be a bunch of people fluffing each other and not really any advancement of skill or knowledge. ) and I got a job designing apparel graphics for 60-70 hours a week. Around the same time I enlisted to knock out some of the $50,000 I owe and they stuck me in the officer program because of my test scores.

I have to figure out how the new facebook timeline works but I'll add ya. Every time they change it, it takes me a week or two to figure out how to even use my own page again.

@Bravo: I was thinking something more along the lines of a semi-diary comic. I'm thinking along the lines ofConfessions of A Jelly Doughnutas a working title. I never realized how out of shape I was until I heard the words “5 mile warm-up run”.

Thanks Scarf. I think DD was just a little more innocent back then.
Yeah, I can see there's a few issues with how it's recognizing html in posts and stuff. Oh well, stuff happens.
last edited on Feb. 25, 2012 8:07AM
rokulily at 10:22AM, Feb. 25, 2012
(online)
lba wrote:
Thanks Scarf. I think DD was just a little more innocent back then.
Yeah, I can see there's a few issues with how it's recognizing html in posts and stuff. Oh well, stuff happens.
ah yes, back when we were all young and vibrant and full of hopes and dreams. dreams of making comics, silly jokes and spamming whatever our hearts desired at a pg-13 level most times. ah those were the days

now… get off my lawn! -waves teacup-
Ozoneocean at 11:09PM, Feb. 25, 2012
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
Ozone, very groovy musicals. Secret double life as a rock star and you never suspected - just like on Hannah Montana!

Yes, EXACTLY like Hannah Montana!
…What exactly is Hannah Montana?
lba wrote:
Yup, that was the project for the Milwaukee Bucks basketball team.
Ooooo, sports teams… I haven't designed stuff for a coproate sports team yet, but all the teams I have desined stuff for have been very painful. They lack ANY design inteligence at all. These are people that need someone in charge of them and simple rules in order to know how to function, in life as well as when they're playing because they haven't got the faculties to cope on their own.
It's the only conclusion I can come to after all my dealings :(
I look forward to finding out more! Add me when you can. I find I need exactly the same adjustment time with FB. It's especially anoying how each time they change something they also include some preverted adition that makes ALL you private stuff 100% public! ie. the timeline. So you have to go and “limit” it.
Jebus, what a joke of a site….
Still without it I would not have been able to stay in touch with all those fantastic DDer and other friends who I don't see as oten now, as well as organising lots of cool things.
Lonnehart at 12:02AM, Feb. 26, 2012
(online)
Okay… went through the storyline for Resident Evil Revelations and now it's got me wondering… can an agency created and funded by a “good” national government become such that its director thinks he's running his own little kingdom? You'd think there's someone… or a group of people monitoring said person's activities carefully. Funny thing is I'm sure it's something that's happened in real life, though in a less extreme form (J. EdgarHoover's FBI comes to mind if that History Channel show I watched about him is to be believed). The game ALMOST made me want to read Dante's Divine Comedy, though…
Ozoneocean at 2:37AM, Feb. 26, 2012
(online)
Lonnehart wrote:
Okay… went through the storyline for Resident Evil Revelations and now it's got me wondering… can an agency created and funded by a “good” national government become such that its director thinks he's running his own little kingdom?
Yeah, that'll happen with any private, public or government group where the head has no effective oversight.

There are many examples in business and government. I suppose it doesn't always lead to bad things, but most of the time when you learn about them is because it's gone wrong so it makes you think they're always bad. You know- corrupt Police chiefs or Mayors… Generals that have coups or form Juntas, in business people like Murdoch, Conrad Black, Howard Hughes, William Randolph Hurst…
Ironscarf at 8:27AM, Feb. 26, 2012
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
Unless you have a tweenage daughter, you couldn't possibly know and what's more, you really don't want to know.
Besides, Selina Gomez is better.
gullas at 1:29AM, Feb. 27, 2012
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
ozoneocean wrote:

Unless you have a tweenage daughter, you couldn't possibly know and what's more, you really don't want to know.
Besides, Selina Gomez is better.
Dammit Ozone! Now I can only read Ironscarf's posts in your voice :@!!!
bravo1102 at 5:06AM, Feb. 27, 2012
(offline)
So I had to build the set. Wouldn't you know I could NOT find my craft knife? So I used one of many X-acto knives but the blade doesn't go through the inch thick industrial styrofoam I'm using. However it's compressed so is made tobreak cleanly. Wish I could have nabbed somefresh sheets as the ones I got were discards and have worn edges and even tire marks. But I can hide that.

However, in gluing it I got white glue everywhere. Fortunately white glue is water soluable so washes out of everything. You know I have to stop rushing into things because I used the Elmer's as opposed to the thicker Aileene's so glue oozed everywhere and one structure had to be abandoned as Elmer'd don't have the viscosity to glue some stuff. You'd think I'd learn not to try to use scraps to make complicated structures just to use the scraps. :)

Now off to the dentist!
lba at 8:38PM, Feb. 27, 2012
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
Ooooo, sports teams… I haven't designed stuff for a coproate sports team yet, but all the teams I have desined stuff for have been very painful. They lack ANY design inteligence at all. These are people that need someone in charge of them and simple rules in order to know how to function, in life as well as when they're playing because they haven't got the faculties to cope on their own.
It's the only conclusion I can come to after all my dealings :(
I look forward to finding out more! Add me when you can. I find I need exactly the same adjustment time with FB. It's especially anoying how each time they change something they also include some preverted adition that makes ALL you private stuff 100% public! ie. the timeline. So you have to go and “limit” it.
Jebus, what a joke of a site….
Still without it I would not have been able to stay in touch with all those fantastic DDer and other friends who I don't see as oten now, as well as organising lots of cool things.

My impression was that the players were actually rather normal human beings who just happened to be highly skilled at one thing and only one thing. They're not necessarily dumb, just the people around them purposely shield them and make it so they only ever have to focus on playing. I got the feeling that if I were to meet them in my local pub and not know who they were, I'd assume they were like any other guy. It was the corporate people who I found more annoying. I was the only person besides the art director on our team allowed within 50 feet of them and even then, we were both explicitly told not to look directly at the players as we “might make them self-conscious or nervous”. I got the feeling that if we could ever get around the corporate people, these guys might actually be kind of fun to hang out with and have a few beers together.

I've occasionaly half-way run into a couple people from DD through DA or AIM on the rare occasions I log into that stuff in the last year or so, but I've been cut off from pretty much everything for a while. I know CustardTrout and Shplane have posted on the cracked.com forums a lot, and I've run into one or two people via AIM, but otherwise I have no clue what's bee going on around here.

And Lonnehart, I just had a thought about that mysteriously deflating tire of yours. If nothing is wrong with the tire itself, have your mechanic take a look at the rim itself. I used to trash rims on my first car at a rate of one or two a year until I got sport rims because I would fly through corners too fast and drive over curbs all the time and it would destroy the tire rims.
last edited on Feb. 27, 2012 8:40PM
Lonnehart at 1:29AM, Feb. 28, 2012
(online)
I did have my rims looked at by more than one mechanic and there's also nothing wrong with them. That makes my freak flats that much more mysterious. I've been told numerous times that it could be pranksters but I have serious doubts about that… I've already watched the tire deflate over a half hour after I had filled it to its proper pressure. Maybe my tires are cursed? Or something is haunting them?

And apparently the ads on this forum know I'm posting about my tires. There are several advertisements for new tires at the time I'm writing this…
bravo1102 at 2:19AM, Feb. 28, 2012
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
I did have my rims looked at by more than one mechanic and there's also nothing wrong with them.
It looks more and more like it's the tire stems then. If improperly seated or if messed up that's exactly what the tire will do.

So the wife used the upstairs bathroom and clogged it. The toilet then overflowed and I awoke to the sound of dripping water. I've seen this at work time after time and now it was happening in my own house. Water covered the floor and fortunately I was barefoot so I just waded in and started mopping. I tossed rags around to sop up the water. Yes the water was clean.
Somehow my wife had totally forgotten about flapper valves and turning off the water to the toilet. It leaked down into first floor bathroom and bedroom. We should have plumbers coming in the morning.
Ozoneocean at 4:03AM, Feb. 29, 2012
(online)
lba wrote:
My impression was that the players were actually rather normal human beings who just happened to be highly skilled at one thing and only one thing. They're not necessarily dumb, just the people around them purposely shield them and make it so they only ever have to focus on playing.
I am the master of quoting now. Ninja master quoter, yeaaaa-haaaaaaaar!
What I meant was those guys have the corporate machine there to make them look good and polished while they get on with their thing.
Which is a good thing for them, or they wouldn't look so polished at all. :)

You know how there are people who just naturally dress with taste and style, or who do an amazing job of making the interior design of their house or apartment look great… and then there are the people who need others to shop for them or do their interior design FOR them?
The end result is the same, it's just lucky that style can be hired ^_^

Soon we will be calling you “lieutenant lba!”
…In Australian we say “Leftenant” although it's spelt the same way.
And you guys say “Lootenant”, which sounds closer to the spelling.

———–

Pinky TA has updated! YAYAYAYAYAYAAYAAAAAAY!
http://www.drunkduck.com/Pinky_TA/5382460/
ayesinback at 5:26AM, Feb. 29, 2012
(online)
Happy “Sadie Hawkins” Day, a little bit of Americana that originated from a comic strip, merged with an earlier Irish tradition, and is celebrated with dancing.

So
Dance, I say! :)
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
bravo1102 at 6:01AM, Feb. 29, 2012
(offline)
ayesinback wrote:
Happy “Sadie Hawkins” Day, a little bit of Americana that originated from a comic strip, merged with an earlier Irish tradition, and is celebrated with dancing.
So
Dance, I say! :)
So is Daisy Mae gonna finally catch Lil' Abner or will Stupify Jones knock them all out? Lil' Abner was one of the greatest and most degenerate comics of all time. The satire under that hillbilly facade was awesome.

Jubilaton T. Cornpone!

Huge irony that the flattest girl in my class was chosen to play Daisy Mae when we did the musical in Junior High.
Macattack at 8:47AM, Feb. 29, 2012
(offline)
I was kind of curious where that tradition came from… I'd never heard of it before today and I'm usually on top of February traditions
ayesinback at 8:48AM, Feb. 29, 2012
(online)
Meet Sadie Hawkins

Who'd refuse a dance to this loverly?
Ozoneocean at 10:42AM, Feb. 29, 2012
(online)
I just now awsomized the DD facebook page with a new cover pic I made for it using heaps and heaps of feature images!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/DrunkDuckcomics
Banes at 12:47PM, Feb. 29, 2012
(offline)
What a lovely girl Sadie Hawkins is! I've heard of her and her day, but didn't realize it fell on this most unusual of days!

Genejoke at 2:36PM, Feb. 29, 2012
(online)
ayesinback wrote:
Meet Sadie Hawkins

I'd tap that!
ayesinback at 4:37PM, Feb. 29, 2012
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
I just now awsomized the DD facebook page with a new cover pic I made for it using heaps and heaps of feature images!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/DrunkDuckcomics

Most excellent, Sir Oz. Apparently those four years at collage really paid off. ;)

Adam's apple be damned! hahahaha - Ah - there is something so endearing about Genejoke's “non-judgmental” stance.

So, if you're going strictly by the L'il Abner calendar, Sadie Hawkins Day would be some time mid Nov., and I think that's when many of the high schools have the Sadie Hawkins dances.
But what with the Irish Leap Year tradition (where on 29 Feb women “can” propose), 29 Feb is Sadie Hawkins Day in many books.
last edited on Feb. 29, 2012 4:39PM
Ironscarf at 4:55PM, Feb. 29, 2012
(offline)
With all this talk of dancing, we shouldn't let the moment pass without noting the sad demise of cheeky Brit Monkee and awesome dancemeister Davy Jones today. Join me and together let's do the Davy shuffle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCOANBcCqR0&feature=related
How does he do that?
bravo1102 at 12:00AM, March 1, 2012
(offline)
What is it with people passing away the last day of February?
Three years ago my father, this year Davey Jones and a greatguy atthe local hobby shop. Jeez.
Modely building is supposedly a solitary hobby but I have been honored to have met and learned much from some really great people over the years and I didn't relaize how much they had influenced my life until they were gone.

As for Sadie Hawkins, just put the bag over her head, the rest of her looks pretty good.I was so sorry to hear about her accident with the Ugly stick, butthey can do wonders with facial reconstruction these days.
Ozoneocean at 12:13AM, March 1, 2012
(online)
When people mistake me for a woman, that is the image I imagine them seeing.
But the idea that ugly turns guys off is apparently completely true. Many guys aren't too bright, all they see is the shape of the whole figure and then start whistling.
If Sadie were real, she'd actually do pretty well for herself.

That's sad about little Davie… Anyone else think that he's like a slightly rounder faced Tom Cruise there?
It's just lucky the other Davy Jones singing superstar is still around… Mr Ziggy Stardust of the Laughing Gnomes. :)
bravo1102 at 1:42AM, March 1, 2012
(offline)
And now a rant.

Hello, I am here to rant about the on-going DD soap “What Happened… whatever” I personally am beginning to think that despite all the generousinvitations no one butsome insipid hack named after the letter “B” in the phonetic alphabet is writing the lion's share. I am not overly fond of this gentleman's writing and the story is getting quite stale. This personage must be stopped from completely taking over this story. It really was quite good before he monopolized it with all kinds of ideas coming from all over. At first he made quite an effort to tie all the directions together but now it's just self-serving foolishness.

Please I beg of all denizens of the DDiverse please, please contribute to the DD soap or we are all in danger of this inane hack taking over the thing and then the next we know those horrid dolls in his comic will be parading all over and making life difficult even impossible for those of us who have the self-respect to draw and ink a comic as opposed to using photography.

I thank all of you for your indulgence and remind all of you to please contribute to the DD soap as I can barely tolerate the single author turningwhat could be a magnificent epic of multi-hued cloth as into a single sheet of white broadcloth.

Now I have endeavoured to convince this personage to desist from anymore writing for as long as it takes to get at least three others to contribute.Any questions I am available via Personal Quack as I make en effort to check them daily. Again I thank you.
last edited on March 1, 2012 1:47AM
Genejoke at 5:23AM, March 1, 2012
(online)
What happened while I was away has been a victim of its own success, just how much more madness can people write and how can anyone make any sense of it?
gullas at 5:56AM, March 1, 2012
(offline)
Genejoke wrote:
ayesinback wrote:
Meet Sadie Hawkins

I'd tap that!
I'd tap that… TWICE!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon