Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA!
junoblairb at 10:56PM, March 11, 2012
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
All the arseholes left from here a while ago, so things should be fine here.
It's not toooo busy generally, but we keep things going. ^_^
Because they all went to Facebook! The quiet is kinda nice. :) And never fear (let me contradict myself), I'll talk enough for all of us. Am I allowed to curse still? Because I do that very well!

@bravo - Feel that pain. A lot.
Quite honestly not looking forward to going back to class from Spring Break. I got so much accomplished over the last week. I don't want to go back to the place with the childrens.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this new forum system hates me.
last edited on March 11, 2012 10:58PM
Lonnehart at 11:56PM, March 11, 2012
(online)
Enjoying Mass Effect 3 multiplayer a bit more than I thought I would. At least no one's demanding that I have a microphone on me. Don't know if the game uses them. One thing I don't like is having to fight Banshees. Those things are scary… I think I'll leave it there and hope no one else ends up terrified after fighting them the first time. :)
Ozoneocean at 1:50AM, March 12, 2012
(online)
@ Juno-
The forum system hates us alllllll!
Multiple quotes are only possible by clicking the HTML button on the reply form and getting rid of the link junk code attached to the author name. It's a lotta messing about, easier to just “@” everything. ^_^
Cursing is 100% allowed. We don't have any rules about it. As long as people aren't curing other people. I think we've just defaulted into a very genteel, non-cursing place, even without any rules.

@ Bravo - don't worry, we all feel like that when someone moves into our perceived turf, whatever that turf is.
And I am one of the worst for that! The amount of times I've been butt-hurt and emo about those sorts of things over the years… wow.
But don't worry, we all still love and appreciate you here at DD man with all you've done in so many, many ways for the community man. You're a solid gold treasure to us. I'm pretty sure most people would agree with that.
Genejoke at 4:43AM, March 12, 2012
(online)
Bravo, you're so bust selling yourself short you forget to pimp yourself. Sometimes people just need a little reminder so they don't take you for granted.
ayesinback at 7:39AM, March 12, 2012
(online)
@bravo - Dude!
That, and you might want to reconsider the avi. I love Groucho, but IS he really the most self-affirming character in the world? How about

?

Read Harkovast AND Battle of the Robofemoids!!
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on March 12, 2012 8:40AM
Ozoneocean at 10:14AM, March 12, 2012
(online)
…the most embarrassing US senator ever…
Not politically, he's just weird.

Sausages and coffee before bed are not a smart idea. NOR is having a tablet beside your bed either!
Searching for random crap on the net does not help one sleep. At least now I know that women also have visible adams apples, so that's one question answered…
Genejoke at 11:27AM, March 12, 2012
(online)
Ozone stop trying to justify sleeping with a trannie.
lba at 2:40PM, March 12, 2012
(online)
Got my ankle pretty much shattered yesterday during combatives training. I got blown backwards off my knees and my boot caught on the floor matting. My ankle made quite possibly the loudest crack I've ever heard out of a human body and now I can't walk. It really quite pathethic. I can't even manage the distance across the room much less across house to my work desk. Which basically leaves me stuck sitting in bed watching movies, reading comics until I can manage to heal enough to go back to work. I'm quick healing, but this still annoys me. I don't make that much these days as a freelance designer that I'm too comfortable spending a day laid-up much less potentially another couple weeks. I guess this means that I have that much more time to read comics and slack off like I always wanted to when I was employed full-time though, so that's kind of a plus.
Lonnehart at 5:46PM, March 12, 2012
(online)
lba wrote:
Got my ankle pretty much shattered yesterday during combatives training. I got blown backwards off my knees and my boot caught on the floor matting. My ankle made quite possibly the loudest crack I've ever heard out of a human body and now I can't walk. It really quite pathethic. I can't even manage the distance across the room much less across house to my work desk. Which basically leaves me stuck sitting in bed watching movies, reading comics until I can manage to heal enough to go back to work. I'm quick healing, but this still annoys me. I don't make that much these days as a freelance designer that I'm too comfortable spending a day laid-up much less potentially another couple weeks. I guess this means that I have that much more time to read comics and slack off like I always wanted to when I was employed full-time though, so that's kind of a plus.
Ow… that sounds… painful. I don't suppose they'll lend you a wheelchair so you can still be mobile.
Ozoneocean at 9:13PM, March 12, 2012
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
Ozone stop trying to justify sleeping with a trannie.
So you deciphered my clever code about sausages then?
Dammit! >_<

Hahaha, naw, the idea about adam's apples stuck in my head. I was surethey were common to both sexes so I had to research it. Apparently it's true. All the crap about being able to tell a female impersonator or trannie by their neck is a myth.

No, the way you tell a trannie is by their penis ;)

It's one of those strange things- I've been drawing women for decades and their necks are not always smooth in the front and men's necks aren't always bumpy… So finally I had to know the truth!
And found the Adam's Apple thing is an urban myth:
Men's are generally more prominent, yes, but not on all men by a long shot, and many women have prominent ones too because everyone has one.

…the more you know….
HippieVan at 10:00PM, March 12, 2012
(online)
Darn you, ozone! I've just spent the last several minutes trying to find my own adam's apple now. I've come to the conclusion that mine is definitely not visible, but I think I located it. The adventures of the unemployed…
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
bravo1102 at 10:11PM, March 12, 2012
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:

Hahaha, naw, the idea about adam's apples stuck in my head. I was surethey were common to both sexes so I had to research it. Apparently it's true. All the crap about being able to tell a female impersonator or trannie by their neck is a myth.

No, the way you tell a trannie is by their penis ;)

…the more you know….
I knew about the thing with adam's apples because of the movie Victor/Victoria where it's pointed out that it is a myth. Not to mention it is a great fun movie about gender roles.
Now from my interest in archeology I know that one can tell the sex of human remains so one can certainly determine the sex of a live person. The Hips and pelvis are the sure indicators. No transsexual can have the attitude of their pelvis changed and their hips splayed. One has to learn how to look for it and observation is a difficult skill to learn. Everyone sees lots of stuff but being able to evaluate that accurately is hard. My favorite example is UFOs. I see lots of lights in the sky all the time, but I have yet to see a UFO.
Ozoneocean at 1:35AM, March 13, 2012
(online)
We must now ALL find the cartilaginous lump in our throats that protects our voice boxes on our larynxs! just to prove we have one! ^_^
If you're the average guy, Anne Coulter, Sandra Bullock or Madonna, that'll be easier for you than others.
-It's a given that all those celebs are avid Drunk Duckers.

As for hips being a good sex indicator- Even that can be fooled unless you can see the skeleton unfortunately. I've seen many wide hipped, narrow shouldered men in my time, and many broad shouldered, narrow hipped ladies too.
As with the Apple it's more a general tendency than an absolute rule of gender difference. (unless you have a skeleton to see). It IS more reliable than the adam's apple though!

Had trouble with the trains yesterday, so I walked quite a distance to get home, in the heat, carrying two heavy shopping bags. -Only about 2.2 miles, or 3,6 KM, so not an extreme distance, but far enough on a hot day with heavy shopping.
So last night I had sore feet, surprise surprise.
This morning the left one still hurt, it hurt worse… Again, not surprising. I jst assumed I'd bruised my insole or something.

This afternoon is hurts even worse, especially when wearing a shoe. So I actually bothered to look at it What a bulbous swollen horror. -_-
No bruises: it's swollen. THAT is why it's been getting worse, why shoes hurt it etc etc.

What I don't get is how the walk yesterday resulted in this??????
last edited on March 13, 2012 1:41AM
Genejoke at 4:38AM, March 13, 2012
(online)
Bad shoes? walking funny to compensate for what you were carrying? maybe you didn't warm up enough.
bravo1102 at 5:34AM, March 13, 2012
(offline)
Sounds like a blister. But I'm not there so I really can't say. Something as simple as agood pair of socks and none of this would have happened. Something rubs against something else and the next day your foot is swollen. Something as simple as Foot powder and good clean properly fitted socks can make all the difference in the world.

Oh and never break in a new pair of shoes on your first hike. The shoes won't get broken in but your feet will get all torn up.

Why can't I find anything? I have all this stuff and I can't find anything! What's more the longer I look the les likely it'll be that I'll be abel to do anything creative when I do find the stuff. Set dressing sucks. Now I know why the low people on the totem pole are the ones stuck doing this drudgery. And no one will ever notice what's there and what isn't either. I really doubt anyone ever noticed the completely stocked liquor cabinet in the back of the office in Attack of the Robofemoids. Or the scratchbuilt typewriter and microscope.

But I know it's there and when I need the prop there it'll be on that shelf in the background so I don't have to do hunting all over for it when I need it for a scene.
Banes at 10:03AM, March 13, 2012
(offline)
I think I've heard some filmmaker or other talking about backgrounds…and it's not so much about the exact details that people will notice consciously…

…but having those great backgrounds is texture that FEELS real. So it matters greatly, even if people don't actually notice the particulars. It FEELS like a world that makes sense.

And for the few who DO notice the particulars, it's a bonus!

That weird paradox, I guess…kinda like the bass player in a band. If they're really good, people don't notice ‘em. It’s when they do it wRONG that they stand out!

bravo1102 at 11:30AM, March 13, 2012
(offline)
Banes wrote:
I think I've heard some filmmaker or other talking about backgrounds…and it's not so much about the exact details that people will notice consciously…

…but having those great backgrounds is texture that FEELS real. So it matters greatly, even if people don't actually notice the particulars. It FEELS like a world that makes sense.
I have a theater background so I learned all that. There's the wonderful illusion of something whenin fact it isn't in the least bit real. Creating an atmosphere and faking a setting with a facade. In fact I've even been complimented on the set dressings in my comic. It looks believable and detailed. Some of it actually works like the real thing and others are just facade.
The pain in the ass (damn donkey, ever try to deal with a donkey that has a pain?) is finding all the stuff and putting it where it won't disappear. I'm my own prop master and finding the specific property I want when I need it is a pain. When I don't need it, it gets in the way. When I do need it, I can't remember where I put it. Now is it with the furniture or is it with the medical accessories? Do I need to make up any boxes and containers?
And then when I keep all the stuff out the work area becomes very cluttered very quickly. Then ther are all those cast members just hanging about along with costumes and for the current production effects models. I'm just moaning and whining about something I shuold be doing that I am searching high and low for ways to put off doing. And people think I'm playing with toys.
Lonnehart at 5:17PM, March 13, 2012
(online)
*sigh* I guess multiplayer ME3 was fun, but not so much now. I found myself getting kicked off every team I try to join either because of my low N7 rating or because I don't have a microphone. So that's that. I can still enjoy the main single player campaign though…

My day off and I've got a nasty headcold. No need to describe what symptoms I have though. Time to go back to bed as sitting up is giving me a headache…
Ozoneocean at 3:48AM, March 14, 2012
(online)
@ Bravo
——–

The 1920s poster I'm working on is almost done! Unfortunately other work has been getting in the way slowing the whole things down… I ran into an issue with text placement and had a brainwave that solved everything! Where would artists be without on-the-fly inspiration???

One of the things preventing me from finishing it was this new job working on a T-shirt.
This class of kids in year 6 are “leaving”, to go to a “middle school” I presume. Their teachers want a shirt made to commemorate it for them. They've given us some god AWFUL picture with is a stick figure parody of all the students sitting on some benches, with all their names next to them etc. It is as crude as all get out so I have to re-draw the entire thing in vector graphics to be able to make any use of it, which will take some time…

What I'm shocked at is the poor quality, When I was in year 6 I was far more skilled than that. I'm all for encouraging people to have a go and try and develop their artistic talent, especially on comics here at DD, but when you want something printed on stuff for people to wear and represent the group and something that's important to them you get a pro or the most seriously talented person you know.
There's no prejudice in that, it's just sense. If you want T-shirts or mugs or shoes or something you don't get a tyro to come up with the design for you.
What I'm guessing is that one of the more “popular” kids came up with the design because he or she is more visible and known and the teacher is an imbecile. There is no possible way that image represents the best of any given class of 11 year olds.

I know that makes me sound like an utter conceited bastard and wanker, maybe rightly, but I'm the one stuck with spending hours having to reproduce every angle and malformed line of this barely ordered scribble in vectors so I think I'm entitled to be a little miffed :(

-It's scribbley, half ordered line art so I can't rely on any vector auto-trace tools as a shortcut either -_-
last edited on March 14, 2012 3:52AM
bravo1102 at 5:54AM, March 14, 2012
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
The foot is mostly better now. ^_^

——–

One of the things preventing me from finishing it was this new job working on a T-shirt.

What I'm shocked at is the poor quality, When I was in year 6 I was far more skilled than that. but when you want something printed on stuff for people to wear and represent the group and something that's important to them you get a pro or the most seriously talented person you know.
There's no prejudice in that, it's just sense. If you want T-shirts or mugs or shoes or something you don't get a tyro to come up with the design for you.
What I'm guessing is that one of the more “popular” kids came up with the design because he or she is more visible and known and the teacher is an imbecile.

Tee-hee considering I was considered the most talented artist in my class when I was 11 the field may not be full of talent as you think. That was out of 100 kids or so and I won school contests and everything. What someone is capable of as an adult is no indication of what a load of kids can do.

I was even chosen best artist in my basic training class and NCO school class. I had to draw everything for everyone else who wanted something drawn. Got out a pile of nasty “shit” details when I was drawing.

So what you as a professional should think they do has nothing to do with what a class of kids and their teacher think should be done. Some pretty bad artists can be the ones chosen to do all the artistic work in various school classes.
Ozoneocean at 7:00AM, March 14, 2012
(online)
I've seen some of your drawings Bravo, you're pretty good.
These are 11 year old kids and these are stick figure caricatures, it's pretty bad, scribly crap. I have some of my drawings from when I was 11 and younger and this pic is equivalent to about a 5 year old level for me.
I've also seen plenty of other talented kids drawings in my time, and this one isn't in the ball park.

The only reason I can think of this being chosen is favouritism. And that's pretty common in classrooms. The creative arty kids don't always come to the fore, especially when the teacher in charge is a dim bulb.
It could've even been the result of a popular vote and those always produce crap when it comes to art. ^_^
ayesinback at 7:37AM, March 14, 2012
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
I've seen some of your drawings Bravo, you're pretty good.
These are 11 year old kids and these are stick figure caricatures, it's pretty bad, scribly crap. I have some of my drawings from when I was 11 and younger and this pic is equivalent to about a 5 year old level for me.
I've also seen plenty of other talented kids drawings in my time, and this one isn't in the ball park.

The only reason I can think of this being chosen is favouritism. And that's pretty common in classrooms. The creative arty kids don't always come to the fore, especially when the teacher in charge is a dim bulb.
It could've even been the result of a popular vote and those always produce crap when it comes to art. ^_^
It could definitely be favoritism or it could be something else: when adults themselves draw stick figures as representative art of what kids would do. It is SO condescending, but some people see it as “cute” – something that the “kids would identify with.”

I know that wasn't the case when my daughter was growing up. Her kindergarden teacher told me about one day when the teacher drew a lion on the blackboard. My daughter mumbled, “you call That a lion?” So the teacher told her that if she thought she could do better, she was welcome to try.

And so my daughter went up to the board and drew her own lion. And the teacher told me: “It was better.”

speaking of drawing . . . and I'm thinking of YOU Hippy Van, and YOU Ironscarf . . . all of YOU rants and rave-types
the comic needs artists. Please check out the script and consider signing up for a page.

Thanks!
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Macattack at 9:04AM, March 14, 2012
(offline)
Wow… I think there are like 4 different topics here on one page…. I"M SO PROUD OF YOU ALL!!! :')
TOP OF THE PAGE:
@Oz: …. we aren't allowed to be curing people on here?? Personally if I'm needing medical attention I'll take any healing I can get. Anyone on here have any ideas to cure a stress/lack of sleep caused upset stomach??
NEAR TOP OF PAGE:
You know… I've met transgenders both natural and… less natural… crossdressers… and just oddly built guys and girls but the one thing that I've found usually gives them away are their faces. There's something about the eyes, cheeks, chin, and sometimes noses that kind of just gives it away what gender they started as. At least I haven't been made a wrong guess on that one yet.
NEAR BOTTOM OF PAGE:
Yes all celebrities are totally on here all the time. That's why I keep trying to get drunkducker's autographs. Want a real surprise? learn what Skoolmunkee's and Oz's celebrity identities are!
BOTTOM OF PAGE:
@Oz: XKCD and Cyanide and Happiness…. enough said :P
bravo1102 at 9:30AM, March 14, 2012
(offline)
It was ironic that I spent my childhood trying to avoid drawing stick figures and then when I went to my first figure drawing class on the first day they taught me to draw… stick figures.
@Ayes: that exact incident happened when I was in kindergarten, except it wasn't lions, it was fire engines. I still can't draw lions without reference.
lba at 10:31AM, March 14, 2012
(online)
Oh god, don't get me started on T-shirt design. I was working a job for about 3 months at a company that specialized in T-shirt graphics for custom printing, retail and all that. It's amazing what garbage people will send to you, thinking they're doing you a favor. It makes my skin crawl thinking of the number of times I could have created something better suited to their company, faster and easier than trying to make the graphics they sent me useable.

In general though, I'll admit I'm a bit wary on the whole retail/clothing graphics industry. My average work day was 17 hours a day, 6 days a week, with a boss whose main method of motivating his employees was “scream, threaten and throw tantrums when they don't read my mind”. Turns out that the average duration of a designer at this job was less than two months. Most of them either got fed up and quit or were “laid off” when the bosses couldn't break them, and apparently that's not at all uncommon in the industry.

Not sure where I was going with this really. Maybe just a warning to those who dream of working in the fashion industry?

edit: ok, on second reading that sounds a lot more negative than I intended. I don't want to scare anyone off of their dreams of being a designer. The whole design industry isn't that bad.
last edited on March 14, 2012 11:22AM
PIT_FACE at 2:35AM, March 15, 2012
(online)
so sick! fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk………..
every time i fall asleep i think im in Hogan's Heroes.

bravo1102 at 2:56AM, March 15, 2012
(offline)
PIT_FACE wrote:
so sick! fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk………..
every time i fall asleep i think im in Hogan's Heroes.
You weren't? I could swear you played that attractive Resistance woman in all those episodes.

That is one reason I don't do a war comic. I'd rather dream about hokey Sci-fi stories than World War II. I hate the smell of wet wool as in WWII period uniforms. A very specific smell that is hard to get out of my nose. It always manages to penetrate any stuffed nose I''ve ever had because it's almost an atmosphere rather than just a smell. It becomes something you live as opposed to just smell and move on.

That and running around in the rain and snow.

Instead I read book after book about POWs in WWII and see where they got all the ideas for the movies and TV shows.
You realize I got this ad for military reinactments featuring some very convincingly uniformed and equipped Germans standing in the back of a German truck?
last edited on March 15, 2012 2:58AM
Ozoneocean at 4:39AM, March 15, 2012
(online)
@Pit - You poor thing! Eat some chickens in a soup!!!

@ Bravo - Yes, wet wool is nasty! I bought this magnifficent pair of wool tweed trousers on the old fashioned “Oxford bags” style a while ago. They look great, but you can NOT wear and wear them like any other pair of trousers- the bag at the knees if you wear them too much between washing and ironing. And worst of all- The smell.
I DO NOT wear them in the rain because that wet wool smell is severe and it just won't go away. Ironing them isn't too nice either.

@ lba - Yup, clothing is the worst. The very, utterly, bottom of the barrel worst. We have far, FAR more issues at work with clothing that anything and everything else combined.
buuuut… I don't work many hours there, and when It's time to go home I'm out the door, no ifs ands or buts. If it doesn't get finished it waits for the next day. I've only stayed late 3 times in the years I've worked there: twice because I forgot what time it was and once as an extra special favour to finish something that was extremely time critical, but I went home early the next day to make up for it :)

@ Ayes - Yes, I'd considered it being a teacher's impression of a kid's drawing. It's very possible! My current thinking is that the pic was deliberately chosen, with that horrible quality, because it's a sort of patronisingly naive representation of “kidishness”.
Either because one of the less talented kids drew it or the teacher drew it to make it look like kid's pic. Either way, it's at a 5 year old's level.

@ Macattack - Yes the face “tell” with transgenders is a good one but not foolproof either.
It has to do with the subcutaneous fat layer, as you probably know: Women have more of that in general, which rounds off all features, muscles and bones…
But of course that is just as fallible as all the other factors. Women with low fat levels due to age, exercise, or illness lose it and get all the prominent features that men do. And some men naturally have that layer too- especially some Indian and east Asian people.
I once knew a horrible little short gnome of a guy with scraggly horrible hair all over his face, a mean little bogan/chav/red-neck sort of a person. But the funny thing was even though he was skinny he had that thick “feminine” subcutaneous fat layer all over so his features, especially his face was rounder and smoother than a normal guy, so that in spite of his nasty beard and disgusting habits he looked extremely girlish.
last edited on March 15, 2012 4:42AM
bravo1102 at 5:48AM, March 15, 2012
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
@Pit - You poor thing! Eat some chickens in a soup!!!
@ Bravo - Yes, wet wool is nasty! I bought this magnifficent pair of wool tweed trousers on the old fashioned “Oxford bags” style a while ago. They look great, but you can NOT wear and wear them like any other pair of trousers- the bag at the knees if you wear them too much between washing and ironing. And worst of all- The smell.
I just had some chicken soup.
I went to a reinactment the day after it rained. The wet wool smell was everywhere and in everything. It also didn't help that the cavalry was there too. It really felt like I was there, it definitely smelled like it. And it didn't help that my seats were right behind the Confederate Artillery. The wife and I got the third wonderful smell of the premodern battlefield. Black powder.

Personally I prefer cordite and diesel exhaust but that's just me. Still I had a wool sweater and scarf and they stunk and it always rained when in the field but nothing beats that wonderful heavy wool US issue blanket for being warm. You know the dark green one with the huge U.S. on it. But when I was in you couldn't have the U.S. showing since we weren't at war. Once Desert Storm started we turned them over.

Once upon a time I collected World War II uniforms and one of the reasons I got rid of them was the heavy wool smell. I had three sets of British World War II Battle Dress and man it stank after running around it it for a few hours. I can barely imagine living in it for weeks at a time. But gosh it was warm and cozy in the snow as raw wool is supposed to shed water and this did! But it still stunk.
PIT_FACE at 7:32AM, March 15, 2012
(online)
thanks you two! mum'll most definitely make me some soup and i didnt have the delight of wet wool to keep me company last night, but i did wake up in full sweat wrapped like a burrito of sick in my comfortor blanket.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon