Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2023! General Discussion Thread
J_Scarbrough at 7:55PM, Dec. 19, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
@J_Scarbrough - you really, really don't need that level of virus and spyware vigilance. I feel you're thinking about things as if it was 10 years ago or more.

Again, in my defense, it was over 10 years ago that my previous computer was practically killed by viruses because of a lack of vigilance: it was an XP computer, I had no adblockers on my browser, McAfee was offered complimentary with my ISP, but after they decided it was no longer complimentary and you needed a subscription, then it stopped working properly. Spybot saved my ass when deviantART ads kept infecting me with viruses in early 2010, but by the end of 2011 and into early 2012, all it took was clicking on a link to a Japanese website (because somebody wanted to show me a Japanese mascot character who looked like a ripoff of Kermit the Frog), that finally did it: my computer's sound was completely killed, so not only could I not watch or listen to any media, but I also couldn't continue to make my own YouTube content because I couldn't hear to edit anything . . . and from there, my then-computer experienced a slow, excrutiating death as 90% of its RAM and diskspace was consumed by the virus, making the thing incredibly slow and sluggish to use - on and offline. What was worse was at the time, I had no way of backing up my stuff, so if I lost it, it was lost forever.

When I got my current computer in 2012, I had it maxed out (for the time, that is): 8GB RAM, nearly 600GB diskspace, and I was determined to make it last . . . I mean, I'm not made of money, so it's not like I can just go out and buy a new computer whenever I feel like it (especially mine cost over $700 to be custom-built to my own specifications and needs), so yeah, I am vigilant when it comes to this stuff. I've also been able to make backups of my stuff, whether stored in clouds, or on removeable devices like USB sticks or external harddrives, so luckily, I wouldn't really lose anything important should this machine lose its will to live.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
lothar at 7:58PM, Dec. 19, 2023
(offline)
I also hate ai. I mean reeeeeaaaaalllly hate it. I even hate the self checkout lanes and touch screen ordering. I went to a restaurant a while back and the waitress told us we had to scan some fucking QR code and order by phone, INSIDE the restaurant, with the waitress standing right there! I didn't use the QR code bullshit. I told her bring us a couple of beers and didn't order anything else. Went to a different restaurant.
J_Scarbrough at 10:00PM, Dec. 19, 2023
(offline)
Hmm . . . well, my CPU is back to spiking up really high again in spite of the System Restore; my fan is so loud right now, I can even hear it while wearing headphones. According to my Task Manager, the culprit is MSE running in the background, even though I'm not even using it right now. So, is this really still a false positive, or do I really have something?

Joseph Scarbrough
last edited on Dec. 19, 2023 10:04PM
kawaiidaigakusei at 11:33PM, Dec. 19, 2023
(online)
FlydiscDude wrote:

I tried to remake a bigger version of the Spidey-Berry Pop-Tart from 2002 and 2004 a few days ago.

Nice work. Really nice work.

Was the Spiderman 3 (2007) poptart flavored “Emo Spidey-Berry”?
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
kawaiidaigakusei at 2:52AM, Dec. 20, 2023
(online)
FlydiscDude wrote:

Sony switched back to Kellogg's so they can promote The Amazing Spider-Man with a limited edition vanilla Pop-Tart and different-looking Spidey-Berry cereal.

The Amazing Spider-Man looked pretty vanilla.

Long live the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy!!
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
J_Scarbrough at 8:36AM, Dec. 20, 2023
(offline)
Booted up my computer this morning, and the same story: Windows Explorer and Google Chrome are taking way longer to boot up than they should, and my CPU is spiking way high even when I'm barely doing anything. This is not normal. That's it, I've made up my mind; after Christmas is over, I'm taking my computer into the shop and have the pros see what they can do.

Joseph Scarbrough
last edited on Dec. 20, 2023 9:22AM
Ozoneocean at 6:14PM, Dec. 20, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Booted up my computer this morning, and the same story: Windows Explorer and Google Chrome are taking way longer to boot up than they should, and my CPU is spiking way high even when I'm barely doing anything. This is not normal. That's it, I've made up my mind; after Christmas is over, I'm taking my computer into the shop and have the pros see what they can do.
I could always be wrong about the spyware/adware stuff but I don't think so.
Sounds like either an issue with the programs you downloaded to deal with it, a windows issue, or a hardware problem. :(

Computers are always tricky beasts.

The old myth was the idea of “get a mac” and not have issues XD by I used them heavily in the 90s and all though the 2000s when that myth really came about and they always had all the same issues that you'd get from any computer.
Rather than any type of OS being better it was actually about hardware- if you bought a cheaper system liklihood of failure was greater. Apple stuff was all either mid or high range, you didn't have many options. With Windows you had much more options because the OS was separate, so you could get cheap, mid, high, super high end, or bleeding edge if you really wanted to waste lots of money.
Ozoneocean at 6:34PM, Dec. 20, 2023
(online)
lothar wrote:
I also hate ai. I mean reeeeeaaaaalllly hate it. I even hate the self checkout lanes and touch screen ordering. I went to a restaurant a while back and the waitress told us we had to scan some fucking QR code and order by phone, INSIDE the restaurant, with the waitress standing right there! I didn't use the QR code bullshit. I told her bring us a couple of beers and didn't order anything else. Went to a different restaurant.
Yeah, they've been doing that here for a few years now, it's super stupid an alienating.
Plus it feels really cheap and low class.

They think they're being clever and techy and they pay a lot to set it up but the ONLY real purpose of QR ordering is to absolutely get rid of wait staff.
So it's just ALLL about giving a restaurant a cheaper, crappier look.
InkyMoondrop at 8:37PM, Dec. 20, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
Rant-
I hate the expanded use of AI and how it makes the world so much less creative an interesting. It turns art, information, and stories into generic garbage, do NOT use chat GPT for anything unless you're a dickhead.

But for other things too- those generic voiceovers you hear EVERYWHERE, those same few voices drive me insane! Either do it yourself, get a mate to do it or pay someone. With drone footage I HATE the typical pre-programmed rotating shots and all the other AI and programmed stuff. And the garbage AI animations make my brain want to vomit out through my eyeholes.

The problem with AI isn't just that it runs on theft, it's that people rely on it for things they shouldn't.

It's exactly like when consumer synthesizers first got cheap enough so that everyone could get one. There was so much bad music being made with generic, horrible “beats” and terrible synth effects that people just mindlessly used.

Idk. On a similar note, I just checked out AI voice modifiers and thought that hey… maybe people who don't like their own voices, like many trans folks for example can greatly benefit from it. Because what's the alternative? You can try to train your own voice through hard work, but there are definitely limits to what you can achieve and you can end up with worse than you wanted. It's not even really possible without AI to modify your voice as you speak, it's not like you can just pay someone to be your voice 24/7. And your voice is a part of your identity, which might not accurately reflect how you feel about yourself. So yeah, there are so many malicious ways to use AI, but it's also a technology with a potential to improve on lives. I myself would love to have a voice I could better relate to without necessarily using it at my workplace or with this and that. I'd consider such as a form of self-expression and it should be an option to just about anyone without being labelled a thief or part of the problem.
Ozoneocean at 4:54AM, Dec. 21, 2023
(online)
FlydiscDude wrote:
the shield and the mountain are talking about combining into one
That doesn't bode well :(

InkyMoondrop wrote:
I'd consider such as a form of self-expression and it should be an option to just about anyone without being labelled a thief or part of the problem.
In theory, but in practice the reality is that EVERYONE uses the exact same few voices so it removes all personal expression and individuality. :(

It's like fashion in a way although the AI stuff is less individual of course:
People think they're expressing themselves and showing their individuality but generally the real purpose is to look the same as their peer group.
There are very few people who actually have the knowledge and taste and put in the work to create their own style and look, most people are just variations of their friends.

——————–

There was a violent mentally disturbed man on the train today. He was HUGE, like Lenny from Mice and Men. He was enraged by something and punching the wall of the train so loudly and hard the carriage shook. Luckily a guy managed to talk him down.
It made me really realise why so many women are afraid of men- a lot of guys have height and weight, natural bulk and muscle- not as massive as this monster but still bigger than most women, and that's the general rule. It doesn't take much for a big guy to hurt a smaller person.

I never really realised this was the general state before because I'm small and slim (barely 166 cm). I'm built a bit like a slim, woman, so when people say “men and bigger and stronger”, I always think “No I'm not…” XD
last edited on Dec. 21, 2023 5:05AM
J_Scarbrough at 9:14AM, Dec. 21, 2023
(offline)
MSE is still saying it's detecting threats, but it's not showing me anything in its quarantine or detection history. What is going on here?

Joseph Scarbrough
kawaiidaigakusei at 9:20AM, Dec. 21, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:

I'm taking my computer into the shop and have the pros see what they can do.

Definitely price shop and compare overall expenses over the cost to fix your operating system versus buying a refurbished machine with high specs before taking your machine to the pros. If the pros charge upwards of $500, then you are better off buying a new machine.

I went the long route when the mandatory Windows 10 update showed up on my machine and I even went as far as backing up all my files on an external hard drive and paying the $125 to upgrade to Windows 10 from Vista. In the end, the ten year old hardware was so obsolete compared to modern technology, my former computer is not in use and parked under one of my desks in a non-operating mode.

FlydiscDude wrote:

The shield and the mountain are talking about combining into one.

I was expecting the url to link to a Game of Thrones reference.

Well– dubba-dee, dubba-dee…That's All Folks!

(Long live Porky Pig)
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Dec. 21, 2023 9:28AM
InkyMoondrop at 11:16AM, Dec. 21, 2023
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
MSE is still saying it's detecting threats, but it's not showing me anything in its quarantine or detection history. What is going on here?

Can't be sure, not an expert. But at this point, I'd try some system cleaners that defragment the drive, clean up all the shit software left in the registry, etc. Thing is, you described your PC as 11 years old, even if you install things rarely, stuff just piles up in the subconscious of your machine. And about threats… sometimes I have to try 5 malware / trojan remover for just one to even detect the issue accurately, while the rest comes up clean. It's a mess, but if all else fails, save your stuff and repartition+format the drive, reinstall windows. Clean slate. If even that fails, you know either your hardware got too old and starting to malfunction or your boot is fucked by something and then you'll likely need to invest in a new setup. Upside is, that the same specs should be a lot more affordable than 11 years ago.
kawaiidaigakusei at 12:02PM, Dec. 21, 2023
(online)
InkyMoondrop wrote:

Upside is, that the same specs should be a lot more affordable than 11 years ago.

One hundred percent agree with this. Even while upgrading, Windows keeps posting suggestion messages to buy a new computer.

==

Has anyone ever heard of “Effingham, Illinois”? I am there right now and the name was so funny I am keeping the receipt from the rest stop. Sounds like a made up town in the Middle Ages.

Any fun plans for Winter Solstice 2023 tonight? Besides sleeping in the dark longer or having to deal with the 4:30PM sunset.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
J_Scarbrough at 1:09PM, Dec. 21, 2023
(offline)
Just lamenting of how it takes forever for the nights to get longer, but the days immediately start getting longer.

Joseph Scarbrough
J_Scarbrough at 4:08PM, Dec. 21, 2023
(offline)
@Inky I took a look into it, and apparently, my Disk Defragmenter had been set to a regular schedule defragmenting every Wednesday morning, so I don't know if that's the case. And likewise, I'm ruling out any hardware problems, because I absolutely baby this machine; I take very, very good care of it, which has to say something for its longevity.

Joseph Scarbrough
J_Scarbrough at 10:51PM, Dec. 21, 2023
(offline)
Another reason for my vigilance too is I was quite neglegent with computers in the past, and I try to not let history repeat itself. We not only lost our old family PC, but also my first serious laptop when they were left plugged directly into the wall outlets during lightning storms (on separate occasions, that is); they were fried. I lost everything on my laptop, including a number of stories I had written, so they had to be completely rewritten from scratch (and believe me, that was incredibly disheartening). Since then, I always make sure I'm plugged into a surge protector, but even so, I'll still unplug as a precautionary measure if I hear thunder outside . . . well, I used to . . . my battery has absolutely no life left in it anymore (and after I just replaced it a few years ago): even when the machine itself is just idling, it'll completely go out in less than an hour on just battery power . . . and I used to get 3+ hours of battery life out of it (even when I'm bogging it down with various and sundry tasks I'm doing).

But most importantly, over the past 15-16 years, my computer has become the key tool in just about everything I do since I'm a Content Creator.

Either way, I'm still going to make 2024 the year I get a new, more up-to-date computer, even if I have to put it in layaway (yeah, the same specs may be cheaper now, but the same specs are small potatoes by today's standards, as opposed to 2012, when they were the max specs). At least not only am I able to backup my files and such, but because my Adobe Creative Cloud suite is a subscription, it'd be a simple matter of just logging in and reinstalling the same programs onto my new machine. And who knows, maybe with more RAM and diskspace, I could even finally upgrade my YouTube content to 4K.

Joseph Scarbrough
InkyMoondrop at 12:35AM, Dec. 22, 2023
(offline)
Just make sure you research your windows. I've read some forums that if you change enough in your hardware setup it won't recognize it as the same PC and will require you to buy another license. Not sure how true that is.
J_Scarbrough at 9:21PM, Dec. 22, 2023
(offline)
Okay, here's something else weird that my computer just literally started doing for no reason now too: the save time for JPG images is four hours off, and it's only JPG images, no other file type. For instace, I just saved an image file as both as PNG and JPG, and while the system shows the PNG was saved correctly at 11:57pm this evening, the system says the JPG was saved at 4:57am tomorrow morning. Why?

Joseph Scarbrough
lothar at 10:07PM, Dec. 22, 2023
(offline)
That's 5 hours off
J_Scarbrough at 3:34PM, Dec. 23, 2023
(offline)
It was already after midnight when I posted that so I didn't take into account.

Anyway, my weekly scheduled scan just finished, and this time, it came up completely clean: nothing detected or quarantined. That's of some relief.

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 9:19PM, Dec. 23, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Okay, here's something else weird that my computer just literally started doing for no reason now too: the save time for JPG images is four hours off
I'd suggest that this never had anything to do with Trojans or anything of that nature- either a system file was damaged, or you have a hardware issue- Since: 1. there are no circumstances for you to have gotten a virus in the first place 2. Those issues are all more consistent with hardware or OS problems.

I would seriously suggest you start making the move to Android or IOS with your creation tools because those have way more redundancy if things go wrong- Backups are built into the system: When your device dies it's reasonably simple to pick up a new one and keep working because most of your stuff is handled by online services and it's very easy to download new apps.

I'd personally recommend the Samsung range with their stylus. Used to be Note, now it's Tab S or something, but either way they're great and they work, I'd also recommend getting an older model from Ebay from a reputable seller, the tab 7 or something because they're completely up to the job and a really good price.
Mobile devices like phones and stuff handle video editing supremely well now so 4K is no problem at all.
DO NOT be fooled into getting the latest greatest! Get something from 3 to 4 years ago, the prices are massively better and the tech is top notch.
I like to get the best of the best from about 3 years agi when I buy- go for “disk” space because the storage is just Soooo helpful.
J_Scarbrough at 9:24AM, Dec. 24, 2023
(offline)
Honestly, with the kind of work that I do, and my attention to detail, I need the functionality of a computer, not a little phone or tablet.

But I will say though . . . now, for whatever reason, after this week's schedule virus scan coming up completely clean, my computer is back to behaving as it should: the CPU isn't spiking, the fan isn't going berserk, the system isn't bogging down or freezing.

Joseph Scarbrough
J_Scarbrough at 9:53AM, Dec. 24, 2023
(offline)
Nope. Spoke too soon. It's still detecting that exact same trojan that is keeps detecting. . . .

Joseph Scarbrough
Ironscarf at 12:31PM, Dec. 24, 2023
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of “Effingham, Illinois”? I am there right now and the name was so funny I am keeping the receipt from the rest stop. Sounds like a made up town in the Middle Ages.

I have and it's not made up. The village of Effingham in Guildford, Surrey. Named by the Saxons but possibly older than that. I hear a lot of US place names are similarly fond remembrances. Do you have a Pratts Bottom over there? Ponders End? I know you have a Gotham.
Ozoneocean at 6:01PM, Dec. 24, 2023
(online)
happy Christmas!!!!
It's Christmas morning in my part of the world :)
And I'm still buggered after staying up al nigh for the Quackcat on Saturdy XD
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Nope. Spoke too soon. It's still detecting that exact same trojan that is keeps detecting. . . .
Trojans are common false positives with those programs.
Believe me man.

As for fine detailed work:
https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Pinky_TA/5730882/
I do ALL of that except the lettering and speech bubbles, but I could if I could be bothered finding the right apps because I'm comfortable using Illustrator on my comp.
I can do MUCH more detailed work than that stuff, especially on the newer model tablets.

Ironscarf wrote:

I have and it's not made up. The village of Effingham in Guildford, Surrey. Named by the Saxons but possibly older than that. I hear a lot of US place names are similarly fond remembrances. Do you have a Pratts Bottom over there? Ponders End? I know you have a Gotham.

We have stupid names for places… One that always gets me is “Dog Swamp”. That might sound innocuous but it's a major suburb in its area with its own landmarks and things, all prefaced with that name… “Dog swamp”. what were they thinking?
J_Scarbrough at 11:05AM, Dec. 25, 2023
(offline)
Well, this has been another crappy Christmas . . . not only has Mother Nature once again reminded us that Climate Change is real by spiking the temps up to balmy and springlike, but I just got sick . . . gonna make a doctor's appointment tomorrow to see what it is I actually got: could be a cold, could be a flu, could be RSV, could be COVID, who knows.

Joseph Scarbrough

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon