Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2023! General Discussion Thread
bravo1102 at 12:43AM, Nov. 21, 2023
(offline)
My wife signed us up for Fresh Select where you get the fresh ingredients and recipes for five meals a week. They were great and very tasty but not really meant for aging boomers with our ever increasing dietary restrictions. A lot of spices and dairy which neither of us can have really sucked a lot of joy out of a few of the meals. And the cooking was much more intense then they let on. Couldn't keep up with the delivery so we canceled. It would probably fit better into the lives of many here and I'd recommend it but it wasn't a good fit for us.
last edited on Nov. 21, 2023 12:44AM
Ozoneocean at 4:08AM, Nov. 21, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
not really meant for aging boomers with our ever increasing dietary restrictions.
I was pretty sure you were a Gen X?
So you were born before 1965?
bravo1102 at 6:16AM, Nov. 21, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
not really meant for aging boomers with our ever increasing dietary restrictions.
I was pretty sure you were a Gen X?
So you were born before 1965?
1964. My wife is 1960. We're from the tail of the baby boom. Always identified with that generation as I was the last of three children I was skewed back ten years earlier than many born just months after I was. Though I know a few Gen-X who are more Boomers because their parents were from the Greatest Generation as opposed to grandparents. Always thought that was what really made the difference.
Ozoneocean at 6:06PM, Nov. 22, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
That's older Gen X to me hahaha! Just one single year out, but you're into gen X stuff, unlike my Baby Boomer Parents who were born in the 1940s!

Ah, generations are a little silly really, I think we all know that. They're sort of useful for categorising people by the similar cultural influences they grew up with and were exposed to, and helping us work out what they might be into and where they might be coming from.

For some reason Gen X gets pretty much ignored, but my theory is that Gen X is largely behind that itself- There are enough of us in places of power and influence in the media and things now to deflect all the negative stuff onto “boomers” when a lot of it should be on Gen X, plus deflection onto Millennials for negative stuff on the other end of the spectrum.

——-

BTW, At the moment I'm listening over and over to “What's the Frequency Kenneth” for some reason. I just find it so fun and poppy. Apparently that was about a theoretical commentator trying to understand Gen X by researching pop-culture -back in the early 90s… before they had the internet to help them.
last edited on Nov. 22, 2023 6:10PM
bravo1102 at 4:49AM, Nov. 23, 2023
(offline)
I think this whole generation identoty thing is a bit like astrology. You see some generalized list of traits and say “Hey that's me!” And you define your identity based on that.
My family was playing a game called “Ok Boomer” that asked questions based on the generation experiences. It was really unfair because we Boomers knew all their references and they didn't know any of ours. I am the youngest before we get to the generation divide. I'm surrounded by my Boomer siblings and spouses. My parents were Greatest Generation so I was raised with their references from the 1930s-40s when they were teens not the 1950s or 60s like Generation X. I'm the one around here who looks back to swing music and big studio Hollywood and I was a teen and adult in the 1980s so a lot of that wasn't the toy I wanted, but the toy that my contemporaries were complaining they had to find for their kid.
I went through Power Rangers, Shining Time Station and Barney as the manager of the media department in a discount store. I purposely binge watched Pokémon to identify with my students when I taught (which I probably would have done if I'd had kids of my own) It's not something that influenced me.
last edited on Nov. 23, 2023 4:54AM
lothar at 6:22AM, Nov. 23, 2023
(offline)
One thing is for sure: a lot of millennials are Pokemon obsessed furries
J_Scarbrough at 8:31AM, Nov. 23, 2023
(offline)
I was naturally a big Pokemaniac when it first came to America in 1998 like everyone else was, but honestly, I fell off that bandwagaon after a couple of years . . . it all just got too confusing to keep up with, what with how they kept adding like a hundred or so new Pokemon creatures every other year or so, and how the anime kept switching out characters all the time.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
Ozoneocean at 5:20PM, Nov. 23, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
I think this whole generation identoty thing is a bit like astrology.
In some ways but in other ways definitely not.
Noiot, at your age you've got way more in common with older Gen X than babyboomers, hahaha! Most of them had their main coming of age in the 50s and 60s before you were born. Geez out here in Australia my peer group grew up with all of those old movies you're into because of the delay with new stuff being shipped out here and the cost to show it.
My fave shows on TV when I was growing up was F Troop, Michael's navy, Sergeant Bilko, Bewitched, I dream of Genie, Gomer Pyle, The Lone Ranger, Three muskateers, Flipper, Lassie, Robin Hood, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Adams Family, The Munsters, Hogans Heroes, Scooby Doo, The Monkeys, Popeye, Felix the Cat, Mighty Mouse, Gerry Lewis and Dean Martin Movies, Tom and Jerry, Pink Panther, The Three Stooges, The Marx Brothers, Laurel and Hardy, Heckle and Jeckel…

And of course the British classics: Doctor Who, Monkey Magic, The Famous Five, The Goodies, Danger mouse, Banana Man

I LOVED Pokemon when I was at in my final years of university. My more intellectual friends were mystified and a little disapproving but I didn't care. I didn't miss an episode. I really didn't like it when they moved beyond the classic Red and Blue stuff though.
bravo1102 at 7:03PM, Nov. 23, 2023
(offline)
There seems to also be a difference in the generational divide in the US and Australia. By US standards I'm a boomer not a cusp Gen X.
I was into the old stuff because I was around older people not because new stuff wasn't available.
Never identified as a Gen X. I hate Friends and Seinfeld. If you don't like those shows you're not Gen X. XD 🤣🤣
Ozoneocean at 7:17PM, Nov. 23, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
There seems to also be a difference in the generational divide in the US and Australia.
Big time.
Man,I grew up loving Fred Astair, Ginger Rogers, Gene Kelly, Bettie Davis, Bob Hope, Bing Cosby, Danny Kaye, Howard Keil, Errol Flynn, Sabu, Micky Rooney, Judy Garland and more much more.
They were the stars of Hollywood to me when I was growing up.
I hate Friends and Seinfeld. If you don't like those shows you're not Gen X. XD 🤣🤣
I never really liked Seinfeld very much when it was first on, but I appreciate it now. It's well written.
Friends however- no.
I hated it and still hate it.

I appreciate actors like Lisa Kudrow and Jennifer Aniston because of their movie acting, but all I thought about Friends was that it forever ruined a fun song by the Rembrandts :(
kawaiidaigakusei at 8:58PM, Nov. 23, 2023
(online)
FlydiscDude wrote:
Goldbelly.
You can only look at the site's catalogue and menu which looks extremely nice. You can't afford anything from there.
The concept for it sounds nice; I'm not risking it unless I earned a gift card with a fixed amount of ‘dough’, however.

I imagine you are more familiar with food costs from your grocery stock experience. The main issue I have with home delivery food is the excessive amount of Styrofoam and excessive cardboard boxes used in order to get the food to your door with perishables.

Granted, when I visited the Goldbelly site and saw it was mostly for desserts, it reminded me that I have been guilty in the past of traveling great lengths for certain desserts, but doing it in person makes it more of a treat.

bravo1102 wrote:
Never identified as a Gen X. I hate Friends and Seinfeld. If you don't like those shows you're not Gen X. XD 🤣🤣

I watched Seinfeld because it aired around the same time as the Simpsons and once that show finished, I let prime time Fox run for the rest of the evening.

I never really understood how the characters in Friends were able to date within their friend circle and still manage to call each other “friends”.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Genejoke at 2:14AM, Nov. 24, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
There seems to also be a difference in the generational divide in the US and Australia. By US standards I'm a boomer not a cusp Gen X.
I was into the old stuff because I was around older people not because new stuff wasn't available.

Can't say I like either, Seinfeld I always found particularly unfunny.
last edited on Nov. 24, 2023 2:15AM
Andreas_Helixfinger at 3:32AM, Nov. 24, 2023
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
I never really understood how the characters in Friends were able to date within their friend circle and still manage to call each other “friends”.

Also - as someone who used to watch Friends myself back when it aired on swedish television and correct me if I remember this wrong - but weren't the premise of the show that those gals and pals were supposed to be all broke and yet they could somehow afford living together in this studio sized apartment, in New York of all places. I understand that's one of those things you werent supposed to think about watching the show, but still you know:P

Also, I miss Scrubs. That show was hilarious. Never get tired of Dr Cox's condescending rants and J.D. constantly annoying him in every scene^^
last edited on Nov. 24, 2023 3:41AM
Ozoneocean at 7:56PM, Nov. 27, 2023
(online)
Andreas_Helixfinger wrote:
Also, I miss Scrubs. That show was hilarious. Never get tired of Dr Cox's condescending rants and J.D. constantly annoying him in every scene^^
I made my way through ALLLLLL of Scrubs! Including the weird last season- that was hard to adjust to because it was more of a spin-off but I wish that hadn't cancelled it.

It was a really great show and despite being a crazy cartoonish sitcom with fantasy elements and surreal humour it game me THE most realist view of what it's like to work at a hospital that I've ever seen and a whole new appreciation for what it's like to be on the other side (working there as opposed to being admitted). It also helped me understand my ex a bit better (ER nurse).
It was a great show. I must search out the podcast by JD and Turk… Zach Braff and Donald Fraison.
last edited on Dec. 5, 2023 3:21AM
J_Scarbrough at 8:04PM, Nov. 27, 2023
(offline)
If you really want to see a sitcom that was crazy and almost cartoonish with surreal humor, I refer you to GREEN ACRES: that was about the closest thing to a live–action cartoon there ever was, even the characters (with some exceptions) wore the exact same wardrobe for every single episode.

Joseph Scarbrough
kawaiidaigakusei at 5:20AM, Nov. 28, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
If you really want to see a sitcom that was crazy and almost cartoonish with surreal humor, I refer you to GREEN ACRES: that was about the closest thing to a live–action cartoon there ever was, even the characters (with some exceptions) wore the exact same wardrobe for every single episode.

It was the Winter of 2013, I had been clocking so many hours on the farm game, “Hay Day”, that Green Acres became a road map for my dream to escape the hustle and bustle of city life before moving to a farm.

Green Acres is the place to be.
Farm livin' is the life for me.

Watching several homesteader videos on YouTube and Eva Gabor's fish-out-of-water reactions to the country life were enough to allow me to live vicariously without having to experience it firsthand. I do enjoy the pig, Arnold, he is very intelligent.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Ozoneocean at 7:15AM, Nov. 28, 2023
(online)
Yeah I watched that a few years ago. It was fun and silly :)
J_Scarbrough at 8:54AM, Nov. 28, 2023
(offline)
Speaking of Arnold the Pig, here's a really interesting connection: any of you remember that talking pig movie from the early 90s, GORDY? The one everyone says ripped off BABE, even though GORDY came out first? That movie was actually written by GREEN ACRES creators Jay Sommers and Dick Chevilait. Also, Cousin Jake in that movie was played by Tom Lester, who played Eb on GREEN ACRES.

Joseph Scarbrough
kawaiidaigakusei at 7:39PM, Nov. 28, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Speaking of Arnold the Pig, here's a really interesting connection: any of you remember that talking pig movie from the early 90s, GORDY? The one everyone says ripped off BABE, even though GORDY came out first? That movie was actually written by GREEN ACRES creators Jay Sommers and Dick Chevilait. Also, Cousin Jake in that movie was played by Tom Lester, who played Eb on GREEN ACRES.

I know one of these movies had a scene with a dancing farmer, the same actor who was in Star Trek: First Contact.

Was Babe the movie that had the little mice that sang “Blue Moon”? All I remember was that the audience went ape crazy at the singing mice. Did Babe also have a special power like the ability to play baseball? I guess that would have made an interesting plot line.

Gordy…I do remember Gordy being a VHS tape, but it was one that never made it to the check out counter at the Blockbuster because rentals were $3.29.

Personal favorite eighties/nineties pig movie of choice is: Charlotte's Web (Animated cartoon). Wilbur and his friends taught me about saving lives, death, spelling, the importance of reading, and that the runt of the litter has the potential to be Great. In the book, there is a chapter about the changing of seasons from Summer to Fall when the crows come out to sing–and it is a chapter of a book that I cannot read aloud in front of a class without pausing to hold back the tears.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Ozoneocean at 7:56PM, Dec. 4, 2023
(online)
A combination of genetics, lots of sunscreen, very little alcohol, no drugs, no smoking, moderate exercise, a good diet and getting enough sleep has made me look much younger than my peers and even people almost 20 years younger in some cases- which is great but it's start to get a bit weird now.

Feeling a bit like a vampire and that's even what a lot of people call me hahaha!
J_Scarbrough at 8:30PM, Dec. 4, 2023
(offline)
Yeah. Here I am almost 35, and yet I still get mistaken for a college kid all the time.

Joseph Scarbrough
bravo1102 at 12:15AM, Dec. 5, 2023
(offline)
It really pays off later. In a decade or so you'll love being mistaken for someone younger. No one ever guesses I'm nearly 60.
Ozoneocean at 3:44AM, Dec. 5, 2023
(online)
Yeah, I'm around much younger people all the time and share very few references. I'm into very little of the current music, almost none, just things people think of as fringe. So I seem to fit in on the surface but share so little culture… or I know all the earlier versions and origins of it like it was yesterday and can remember places and things that don't exist anymore for them… or never existed in their experience.

Like a vampire from a story hahaha!

Or Barvo LOL!

But when our fellow vamps congregate then our secret will be out and they will see we're not as young as we seem XD

Funny enough I always aspired to be a hairy old codger with a long bushy beard, a great beak of a nose, a heavy brow, squinty hooded eyes, protruding cheekbones, and a lined, hollow cheeked face… I think I'm on track. I'll just suddenly turn into that one day.
J_Scarbrough at 9:33AM, Dec. 5, 2023
(offline)
I have a couple of other things working in my favor, both of which apply to me hair: 1) my paternal grandfather wasn't bald, so I don't carry that gene (not to mention, I have naturally thick and wavy hair) 2) I have light-colored hair as it is, so it won't turn gray as quickly was it would if it was much darker.

Joseph Scarbrough
PaulEberhardt at 2:57PM, Dec. 5, 2023
(offline)
All of my ancestors only lost their hair at a very old age, if at all (except for those two or three who were forced to wear steel helmets at a certain period in history - let's not mention it 😓), and that seems to do at least 90% of the trick. I'm in my early forties and have kept practically all of my hair so far. Plus, as a very blond Nordic type none of the grey ones are noticeable. In a couple of decades they'll probably look kind of permanently dirty, but that's basically it. So all in all, I consider myself blessed.
Add to that a bad habit of being way too fond of lame jokes and spending way too much time with children and teenagers as a day job, which probably means some things inevitably rub off on me (hee hee, I said “rub off”!) and the entry ticket to Oz's vampire club is complete.
I do drink… wine, though. 😉 Sometimes, anyway.

Anyway, people who get to know me are constantly surprised when they learn about my actual age. And I don't exactly look like an underwear model, but then I've never wanted to anyway, and can't be bothered to do anything to that effect, so that makes it even more of a blessing if anything, doesn't it?

Can't fool any of my students, though. To them, everyone past their late twenties is an old geezer. But they do appreciate that I'm at least one of the cool old geezers, or so they tell me. That has to count for something, too.
last edited on Dec. 5, 2023 3:01PM
InkyMoondrop at 4:13PM, Dec. 5, 2023
(offline)
I for one did not win the genetic lottery. And my hair started to turn grey at 15. It's kinda subtle but noticable, I was worried I'd look like Steve Martin in my 30s.
J_Scarbrough at 4:34PM, Dec. 5, 2023
(offline)
A friend and colleague of mine is there already.

Unfortunately, he also came down with brain cancer last year, so as you can imagine, he eventually lost his hair from the chemo treatments. On the flipside, he decided to grow his facial hair our during the time.

Joseph Scarbrough
JohnCelestri at 5:41PM, Dec. 5, 2023
(offline)
I'm an OG from before there was an internet…I read comics before the Silver Age started…I remember when there was only 4 hours a day of broadcast TV. (Creeeeeaaaakkkk! That's the sound of me opening my coffin from the inside.)
Ozoneocean at 6:37PM, Dec. 5, 2023
(online)
InkyMoondrop wrote:
I for one did not win the genetic lottery. And my hair started to turn grey at 15. It's kinda subtle but noticable, I was worried I'd look like Steve Martin in my 30s.
I disagree. That is SOOOOooooo cool! My dad went grey super early. My earliest memories of him are with salt and pepper hair: grey and black all over. He turned all grey very early.

I have zero of that in my genetics XD LOL!
I didn't get my first grey hair till my late 30s and I still have hardly any (unless I grow a beard, which is mostly white HAHA). I just have dirty blonde hair like PaulEberhardt.

You'd almost think I'm not related to my dad but our faces have similar features and when I did a 23andMe genetic test there was zero doubt hahaha!

Not sure about balding in the future… I'm not balding now and my genetic results say I don't have the tendency towards early pattern baldness, but in my family it's weird.
I mean I look at pics of my grandfather on my mum's side at my age and he had classical male pattern baldness but later on that all grew back. No toupe or wig and this was before hair plugs. he just had a bit of a high forehead, but even that not really.
While on my dad's side they thin in a circle at the back. That could happen to me. No real signs of it yet but it's possible, my hair isn't that dense.

If I did start to have a balding circle no WAY would I shave it all off though! I'd just keep the rest long.

PaulEberhardt wrote:
and the entry ticket to Oz's vampire club is complete.
YES. Welcome :D
Ozoneocean at 6:42PM, Dec. 5, 2023
(online)
JohnCelestri wrote:
I'm an OG from before there was an internet…I read comics before the Silver Age started…I remember when there was only 4 hours a day of broadcast TV. (Creeeeeaaaakkkk! That's the sound of me opening my coffin from the inside.)
Hahaha! A lot of us are pre-internet, but very few golden age comics people, or 4 hours of TV a day. wow!

When I was little we only had 3 channels and the TV was black and white and tiny- the black and white TV was because mum and dad didn't want to spend on such things though LOL, colour TV came Australia right when I was born.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon