Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2023! General Discussion Thread
Ironscarf at 10:02AM, Jan. 24, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:

Maybe that sort of thing would be worth re-introducing when we do some re-coding? A subscription that just gives you extra features that help with community engagement…

Interesting idea. I seem to remember they introduced something called moon power, or star power or whatever on ComicFury, which you could acquire (buy?) and use to highlight your forum posts. I don't think it had any solid benefit, but when you saw one of those posts you definitely thought ‘Damn, I wish I had some star power!’.
last edited on Jan. 25, 2023 7:13AM
lothar at 5:26PM, Jan. 24, 2023
(offline)
Dang! We should totally have all that stuff. It would make this place even better. And also personal portals
bravo1102 at 6:08AM, Jan. 25, 2023
(offline)
Oh no, I don't want any more work to do personalizing my site experience.

All kinds of bells and whistles to attract more people who won't read my comics.

Oh joy.
Yuck dolls– nope.
Yuck sexploitation – nope
What an ass – well I can't argue with that one. 🀣🀣🀣 πŸ˜† lol xD
Ozoneocean at 2:40AM, Jan. 26, 2023
(online)
Ah you joke Bravo buy I see the tears in the eyes of the clown…πŸ˜“πŸ˜…
Come on man, your style is t for everyone but it's unique and interesting and stands out!
That's all any of us can do.

—-

I really appreciate the sort of communication we have here on the forums, it makes me realise more and more why I left Facebook:
Communication there was so regurgitated and artificial. The algorithms they used downgraded human to human interaction and instead promoted stuff that got reactions like political stuff, popculture issues and F***ING memes.
I don't mind memes but when they replace human thought with simple reshareing of that crap then communication becomes pointless.

It reminds me of the discussions around AI “art”, in that people want to replace even creative expression with premade, generic, regurgitated pretend art, even the chat programs will be used by some to replace written creative expression, so actual human thought and intent is out of the picture.

One argument goes “what about people who can't do it? this allows them to join n in” - memes for people who aren't funny, fake music for people who can't play instruments, fake art for the non artistic, fake writing for non-writers…

I say bugger them. I say I can't give a crap about their lack of skill, tallent and humour. It takes years or practice to get good at things for a reason and while they were enjoying other things others were struggling to get good at being creative and clever.

It reminds me of Banes' newspost from the other day: don't envy what other can do because you can do it too if you're prepared to put in the same amount of pain they did to achieve it.

I digress hahaha!
I appreciate that we share real experiences and thoughts here, not artificially generated stuff or rhetoric.
bravo1102 at 4:55AM, Jan. 26, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
Ah you joke Bravo buy I see the tears in the eyes of the clown…πŸ˜“πŸ˜…
Come on man, your style is t for everyone but it's unique and interesting and stands out!
That's all any of us can do.

You just want me to buy some more ads. Don't worry πŸ˜‰

A problem is my depression is biological so I can be fine and things going well and just start crying and the mood goes all black. Only so much coping one can do anymore as I approach 60.

And I have been trying to come up with something not as explicit. Been collecting resources for a war comic anthology.

As for FB. I'd forgotten how many old friends I had there, so I've been ignoring the algorithm and connecting with them. Though hard to pass up baiting conspiracy theorists and flat esrthers. Can't look at any science post without a flood of deniers. Love all the evidence being collected for Dunning-Kruger study everyday. 😊
Ironscarf at 5:23PM, Jan. 26, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:

I say bugger them. I say I can't give a crap about their lack of skill, tallent and humour. It takes years or practice to get good at things for a reason and while they were enjoying other things others were struggling to get good at being creative and clever.

It reminds me of Banes' newspost from the other day: don't envy what other can do because you can do it too if you're prepared to put in the same amount of pain they did to achieve it.

It's impossible to convince non artists that artists weren't born with magical drawing ability. To them it's like being born with a cute nose and if you weren't born with a cute nose, what's to stop you from buying one? Even people who know you well and know how hard you worked on it will still say ‘well, you obviously had a natural talent for it to begin with’ if you dig deep.
Unka John at 8:36PM, Jan. 26, 2023
(offline)
I'd also like to add a “Bugger them” to the conversation.
J_Scarbrough at 10:59PM, Jan. 26, 2023
(offline)
I'd rather have a burger instead.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
InkyMoondrop at 11:25PM, Jan. 26, 2023
(offline)
Yeah, struggle if you want something, but I'd still like to think of digital drawing tablets and tutorials and filters and just not having to mix our own paint unless we want to as positive contributions to the art scene and that my creativity doesn't begin with a finished product, even if to others that's its sole measurement. But you know, whatever. :D

I was meaning to say Bravo strikes me as the kind of person who would benefit greatly from picking up diorama making as a hobby and utlizing it for comics, I might even do that one day, when I have even more free time on my hand, but regardless, based on the things I've read so far, I agree he's definitely a Duck with things to contribute.

As I'm experimenting with filtering, I myself see options to contribute further, regardless of what impressions I've made so far.
bravo1102 at 2:07AM, Jan. 27, 2023
(offline)
InkyMoondrop

I was meaning to say Bravo strikes me as the kind of person who would benefit greatly from picking up diorama making as a hobby and utlizing it for comics, I might even do that one day, when I have even more free time on my hand, but regardless, based on the things I've read so far, I agree he's definitely a Duck with things to contribute.

Dioramas? I've been building models for forty years. Most of my techniques for depicting action come from an article on building dioramas in the Historex catalog. Historex was a French company that produced items for creating 19th century figures and scenes in 1/30 scale.

I use all kinds of diorama techniques in my set building so I'm still at it. Kitchen diorama/set from Belle's Best and some props built using diorama techniques. πŸ™‚

last edited on Jan. 27, 2023 2:10AM
Unka John at 7:36AM, Jan. 27, 2023
(offline)
I feel invalidated by the archaic, ablest system wherein web comic readership is based on merit. Therefore, I demand Ironscarf be required to produce my web comic.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go finish reading Harrison Bergeron.
bravo1102 at 9:23AM, Jan. 27, 2023
(offline)
Unka John wrote:
I feel invalidated by the archaic, ablest system wherein web comic readership is based on merit. Therefore, I demand Ironscarf be required to produce my web comic.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go finish reading Harrison Bergeron.

Speaking of Ironscarf, I had a dream last night that I was living in the UK(sleeping on Ironscarf's couch) and working as a security guard.
And my fellow employees (Brits all with a wide assortment of dialects) said I sounded better speaking in cockney than in American.

Really have to find more American and Canadian talking heads to watch on YouTube. I'm just listening to accents all day.

Ironscarf at 1:14PM, Jan. 27, 2023
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:

Speaking of Ironscarf, I had a dream last night that I was living in the UK(sleeping on Ironscarf's couch) and working as a security guard.
And my fellow employees (Brits all with a wide assortment of dialects) said I sounded better speaking in cockney than in American.

That's hilarious, but not without substance. My couch is after all a sofa bed and I'm certain you'd make a great cockney security guard. I'd call my old friend Cockney Kev who married into an East End pie and mash shop dynasty, where they'd have you chirping like a true Cockney sparrow in two shakes.
last edited on Jan. 27, 2023 7:40PM
J_Scarbrough at 8:10PM, Jan. 27, 2023
(offline)
Soooooo, I'm just gonna say this. . . .

Mindy Kaling has talked about how the powers that be in Hollywood would tell her she'd never really make it in the industry, and if she did, she would probably only be good for second-banana roles (everything short of telling her because of her ethnicity).

Obviously, she proved them wrong, because she does have a lot of clout and power in the industry now in spite of her ethnicity, and I'll give her credit for that . . . but, let's be honest here . . . has anything that she's ever been attached to turned out any good? And I'm not just talking about how VELMA has quickly shot up in the ranks of being among one of the most universally hated animated series of all time.

Joseph Scarbrough
kawaiidaigakusei at 11:26PM, Jan. 27, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
. . . has anything that she's ever been attached to turned out any good?

Absolutely. I most recently saw her in The Night Before and I laughed my face off during her last scene.
( Β΄ β–½ ` )οΎ‰
InkyMoondrop at 11:29PM, Jan. 27, 2023
(offline)
Not to mention Inside Out, a personal favorite of mine.
Ozoneocean at 4:12AM, Jan. 31, 2023
(online)
You know what I hate most about reality TV?
It's all the idiots being celebs just to BE celebs.

They're not being famous for anything in particular, they're contributing nothing to culture, they're the equivalent of an empty fastfood wrapper that just gets discarded and pollutes the environment: Very visible, utterly useless, and nobody can really completely get rid of them.

That includes people who USED to be actors or performers but then just decided to be reality stars- judges on talent competitions, actors who participate in reality shows, Ozzy Osbourne etc.

It's funny and tragic the way television accelerated its demise by indulging in those shows.
bravo1102 at 4:22AM, Jan. 31, 2023
(offline)
Be crazy if someone wrote the Drunkduck reality show. If we locked the admins into a house, how long before they kill each other?
An imaginary film crew following them around getting the details of their day and staging fake fights and dramatic arguments.
And of course Banes getting his weekly grooming. A lot of upkeep for that coat of fur.
last edited on Jan. 31, 2023 4:25AM
Ozoneocean at 5:17AM, Jan. 31, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Be crazy if someone wrote the Drunkduck reality show. If we locked the admins into a house, how long before they kill each other?
An imaginary film crew following them around getting the details of their day and staging fake fights and dramatic arguments.
And of course Banes getting his weekly grooming. A lot of upkeep for that coat of fur.
HA!
I would explode in a brown stinky cloud of hypocrisy XD

This is the closest we ever got… https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Top_Drawer_High/

LOL, anyway, it'd be more interesting if all the DDers were there.
bravo1102 at 5:34AM, Jan. 31, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:

HA!
I would explode in a brown stinky cloud of hypocrisy XD

This is the closest we ever got… https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Top_Drawer_High/

LOL, anyway, it'd be more interesting if all the DDers were there.

The high school predates me but I loved reading it.

We all want to see the admins. Keep us plebians out of it. πŸ€£πŸ˜…

Though others could have guest roles. πŸ˜‰
Ozoneocean at 7:18PM, Feb. 1, 2023
(online)
Plebeians? Without Bravo1102 there's no show. You're a main character.
bravo1102 at 11:53PM, Feb. 1, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
Plebeians? Without Bravo1102 there's no show. You're a main character.
I want to be the character everyone always talks about but you never see. 🀣
Ozoneocean at 2:16AM, Feb. 2, 2023
(online)
bravo1102
I want to be the character everyone always talks about but you never see. 🀣
Hahahaha, we already have one Banes LOL!

———————-

I think I know my main issue with AI “art” created by most non-artists: The lack of intention.
That is MASSIVE for me personally. When I create everything is there for a reason, everything took thought.

Imagery created without intent is actually revolting to me. I find it vile and disgusting, because art is about communication. And that is what prompted AI is delivering: It gives you the equivalent of a bunch of generic cliches which you don't have any specific control over.

It reminds of when I was a really young kid doing art in school… preschool and grade 1. Some kids would draw the usual flowers, stick figure pictures of their “parents” or houses with square windows, and get lots of praise because it was generic and expected and the flowers would have nice colours. I found that so frustrating because I'd be drawing pictures of actual things with meaning to convey about what they were, rather than just reproducing a bunch of expected cliches. XD
(Though I didn't think of it in those terms!)

It wasn't till about grade 3 when it finally clicked-
The class had all seen a dead beached whale on the shore together and the teacher asked us to draw it. My picture and one by this girl who was popular in class were both chosen as the best ones.
She was a nasty bully so I was perturbed that she got chosen along with me. Her's was an expected, colourful picture, all done on the one plane with the typical hierarchical perspective (more important things are big, less important are smaller), all figures from front on only. Mine was a complex picture that showed the actual scene of the whale being moved by the front end loader, showing where the ocean was in relation to the class etc. using rough one point perspective.

The best part was that the teacher showed both pictures to the entire class and said of the girl's: “This picture is good for a little child's drawing.”
Then held up mine and said: “But THIS is good for an adult. This was how it really looked, it's more like a photo.”

The fact that she was a bully made that such a sweet moment. The “little child” remark really cut her.
last edited on Feb. 2, 2023 2:19AM
J_Scarbrough at 8:35AM, Feb. 2, 2023
(offline)
You know what, it never matters what Punxsutawney Phil's prediction is anymore, because year after year, spring just keeps coming earlier and earlier regardless of what his prediction is because of Climate Change. Even now, springlike weather is in the forecast for the majority of the next two weeks, because God forbid we can ever have a normal February anymore.

Joseph Scarbrough
InkyMoondrop at 9:13AM, Feb. 2, 2023
(offline)
Amazing origin story, Ozone.
Plot twist: the bully became the one behind stable diffusion. A fight to the death is inevitable.
bravo1102 at 9:31AM, Feb. 2, 2023
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
You know what, it never matters what Punxsutawney Phil's prediction is anymore, because year after year, spring just keeps coming earlier and earlier regardless of what his prediction is because of Climate Change. Even now, springlike weather is in the forecast for the majority of the next two weeks, because God forbid we can ever have a normal February anymore.
Silly Punxsutawney Phil's predictions are only applicable to the Northeastern US. Up here we just had snow flurries the last two days and the temperatures are going down to single digits. Phil is only a groundhog and not responsible for anywhere west of the Appalachian mountains. Need another groundhog maybe in the Midwest somewhere for an accurate prediction. 🀣
Ozoneocean at 5:15PM, Feb. 2, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Punxsutawney Phil's prediction
Isn't that the groundhog from Groundhog day? Wouldn't it be long dead by now?
Is he a vampire??

InkyMoondrop wrote:
Amazing origin story, Ozone.
Plot twist: the bully became the one behind stable diffusion. A fight to the death is inevitable.
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That's brilliant! I would watch that anime SO HARD!
bravo1102 at 2:49AM, Feb. 3, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Punxsutawney Phil's prediction
Isn't that the groundhog from Groundhog day? Wouldn't it be long dead by now?
Is he a vampire?

The post is hereditary. They leave out the Roman numeral for brevity. If I remember correctly there have been female Punxsutawney Phil's.
I am reliably informed by my stuffed animals that the stunt groundhog in the movie was actually a beaver named Bucky. 🀣
Ozoneocean at 8:58PM, Feb. 3, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
The post is hereditary. They leave out the Roman numeral for brevity. If I remember correctly there have been female Punxsutawney Phil's.
I am reliably informed by my stuffed animals that the stunt groundhog in the movie was actually a beaver named Bucky. 🀣
That explains a lot O_O

Ah, America- home to giant squirrels and rats in New York, horse sized Elks they call Moose, with colossal antlers, Giant dears which they call Elks, Giant Bison which they call Buffalo, Bizarre Beavers that build dams and eat trees, groundhogs that dig masses of burrows, racoons which talk and use their hands, snakes with baby rattles on their tails, eagles with white heads, Big stnky toothy aligators down south, small muscular big cats they have a million different names for, super gigantic brown bears they call Grizzlies, the biggest of which they call Kodiaks, White polar bears in the north, and so much more…

And they think the animals here in Australia and strange and deadly XD XD XD
LOL no. Compared to the US Australia is a haven of peace filled with stuffed animals who love you.
bravo1102 at 5:29AM, Feb. 4, 2023
(offline)
A moose isn't a deer. It's a giant dark wall with legs and a full radar and ECM array on their heads.

North America used to be all out to kill you but with millions and millions of people running around with guns, humans have the big scary animals on notice. Passenger pigeons once blacked out the skies. Bison covered the land. Then came lots of Americans with guns. Wiped all them out and now we shoot at each other. πŸ™„πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ

Not enough people in Australia to do that. And most of Australia is downright inhospitable whatever the critters may do.
last edited on Feb. 4, 2023 5:30AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon