Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2010s nostalgia thread
lothar at 8:29AM, Sept. 16, 2023
(offline)
Drunk and I'm on that again !

Do you think that the 2010s was better than this current time period. A simpler time that only pepridge farms remembers? Like..I was riding the motherfucker train and listening to Die Antwoord and thinking like… I miss Obama. What you think crew?
bravo1102 at 5:47AM, Sept. 17, 2023
(offline)
šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Yeah, yet another decade that wishes it was the 1980s and I hated the 1980s but it was much more cool than the 2010s. Don't blame me you were born too late for a really awesome decade.

Not really. The 2010s were nice and stable with my job and webcomics. Nothing crazy just sort of there and conservative talk radio was very entertaining that decade. Totally full of it, but entertaining without being the nasty fascist conspiratorial thinking of today.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 7:14AM, Sept. 17, 2023
(offline)
Well, there sure were more physical shops to visit back then. Now the only reason to hit the supermarket or the downtown stores is to buy groceries. Boring:P
Niccea at 9:05AM, Sept. 17, 2023
(offline)
I kinda miss any point between 2000 and 2016. I miss not being phone dependent. Like bravo, I member as time when conservative media was tamer. Now I do remember from those times that the 49% of the population that voted for “the other guy” were not happy about the results, but not to the point of violence had a sort of feeling like you would get when a sports team looses. Now I admit to being born in the very late 80s, so a lot of my experiences up until the mid 00's was that of a child.

I think that due to my age I missed out on a lot of good experiences during that time frame.

However, though I do miss a more laid back, less tech dependent society of even a decade ago, I don't miss my lifestyle from those days. Nothing like graduating from college at the start of a recession to make you bank account(s) scream in agony.
Ozoneocean at 8:41PM, Sept. 17, 2023
(online)
Wow, the 2010s XD
I'm at the age when that entire decade was basically last Tuesday for me. It all happened last week, compressed. Weird.

For almost all of the 2010s I was the head admin in charge of DD O_O
Though actually Skool was still around till at least 2012-2013 I think?

In the 2010s fashion was getting annoying with all the really bad fake retro recycling of the 80s- crappy abstracted repeated prints in bad colours that were crap in the 80s but the fake retro versions were even worse. LOTS of hoodies, tight jeans.
The current 80s revival by contrast is SCARY accurate. Basically feels like time travel

And helmet hair hairstyles with this fringe (bangs to Americans) brushed forward onto the forehead and hooked to the side in a strange lego-person style of fake cow-lick. It looked DUMB. Beiber had a bad version of it.
Oh and we cant forget about the fake bead hair where guys would deliberately mess up the hair into the dumbest messy style so it would look like they didn't care, but ironically it was so carefully styled to look like that XD

Nasty narrow brimmed fedoras came into fashion and that stopped me wearing my panama hats and real fedoras for years because I didn't want to be at all associated with the crappy hat crowd.
And no they were NOT Trilbies, that's a myth… or rather that were Trilbies at the same time as they're fedoras because those are different names for the same hat but from different countries…

Lastly the “hipster” style of the 2000s, which was basically a fake bohemian artist look worn by people who carefully put together random styles in order to make themselves look as ironic and striking as possible (done by people who were richer than real bohemian artist types), got mainstreamed and commodified into a bland, mass-market version typified by people wearing scarves with EVERY single outfit in every weather!
other “hipster” aspects were the cheap narrow brimmed fedoras, trousers that were too short, no socks, boat shoes, cardigans, wired long tops and cardigans made from T-shirt material, fake Samurai hairstyles, BIG beards plus shaved sides of the head NAZI haircuts, long hair with topknots…

etc…

I didn't really follow the ladies fashions as much but I was happy when the tight jeans thing finally ended for them.
J_Scarbrough at 8:41AM, Sept. 18, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
Wow, the 2010s XD
I'm at the age when that entire decade was basically last Tuesday for me. It all happened last week, compressed. Weird.

Yeah, I mean we're not even halfway through the 2020s yet . . . nostalgia for the 2010s seems way too premature.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
lothar at 5:38PM, Sept. 18, 2023
(offline)
Nah man… A lot has changed since the end of 2019. The world feels like an entirely different place. Maybe it's just me but shit feels way more serious now. Back then it was all memes and crap liked PewDiePie vs T series and Trump making stupid tweets. I remember being genuinely excited that B Beatelguse might go supernova… Since then there's plagues and war and inflation and seems like the planet is going fucking sideways climatologically. All my YouTube feed is full of culture war bullshit. Everybody is trying to cancel everyone else for everything. It's enough for me to wanna break out winamp and dust off there old MP3s.
Ozoneocean at 10:30AM, Sept. 19, 2023
(online)
lothar wrote:
Nah man… A lot has changed since the end of 2019. The world feels like an entirely different place. Maybe it's just me but shit feels way more serious now. Back then it was all memes and crap liked PewDiePie vs T series and Trump making stupid tweets. I remember being genuinely excited that B Beatelguse might go supernova… Since then there's plagues and war and inflation and seems like the planet is going fucking sideways climatologically. All my YouTube feed is full of culture war bullshit. Everybody is trying to cancel everyone else for everything. It's enough for me to wanna break out winamp and dust off there old MP3s.

I play Winamp all the time :)

Trump didn't become US President till the start of 2017. He wasn't pres for much of the 2010s. That that Obama.

The worst change to happen over the course of the 2010s till now is that Google became evil and took over the internet…
Along with Apple, Faecbook, Microsoft and a handful of other big companies. The bought up everything and now control everything. Sites that Drunk Duck just play in the shallows on their sufferance.

All the big companies curate people's web experience through apps and search engines and social media sites. They own the net.
Genejoke at 4:42PM, Sept. 19, 2023
(online)
2010's? sod that, can we just go back to the 90s and stay there? Before phones got smart and made us dumber.
PaulEberhardt at 1:19AM, Sept. 20, 2023
(offline)
I don't really miss the 90s, nor any other decade, and the 2010s are only present in my memory because I still can't believe how fast they rushed by.

Most decades have come up with something cool to make them slightly more bearable, of course, and nothing's wrong with trying to keep those parts - which, truth be told, mostly boil down to far out designs and being more easy-going with everything, which however is just a blatant lie by us old farts who wish they had been. Politics and most other fads are important for history but no good for nostalgia, since they're just humanity's little way of making each other's lives unnecessarily difficult, you can't have good things if I can't have them, so that part is a constant that just takes on different interesting guises.

There has to be something to be scared of, of course. Life without anything to be scared of just ain't no fun: nuclear war… oh right and let's not forget acid rain and the ozone hole (80s), general existential angst because if things seem to good to be true they generally are (90s), globalization backfiring on us (00s), climate change (10s), climate change and backfiring globalization and nuclear war (20s). Don't get me wrong: they're very real dangers - imagined dangers just don't provide the necessary kick - but to some degree it's also our species' nostalgia for the cave bear that might just come back home any moment while your tribe seeks shelter in its larder and for how it kept us all on our toes; ah, life must have been truly exciting back in the day!

I wonder what people in the 2120s will say about the 2010s or 2020s. I'm pretty sure they won't call it the Roaring Twenties 2.0. They won't call it the Boring Twenties either, but I seriously doubt there will be a nostalgia wave as for the 1920s: Great Gatsby, Miss Fisher, jazz, speakeasies, you name it.

In fact, I'm not sure they'll call them anything in particular, because to me it all feels as if everything had become a bit muddy, less defined after 2006 or so (if you ignore framerates and people's willingness to listen to what woke people say). Might be just me, though.
last edited on Sept. 20, 2023 9:09AM
InkyMoondrop at 5:06PM, Sept. 22, 2023
(offline)
I don't remember much of the 2010s, only that there were fewer global threats to worry about. I was already way out of social space lingos and etiquettes by then, I was no gamer either and never really got the appeal of streaming, especially games people could play themselves instead of just watching someone else do it for hours (but I guess it's the same with sports). Truth is, going on facebook, going on youtube, “x” (I don't even wanna log in there) or any other social space where the community is not centered around a common interest became too much for me. I don't get joy out of it. I get bombarded with stimuly from left and right, everything is about politics, everyone has a list of things or people who are responsible for all the bad in the world and everyone thinks that having an opinion about something makes it their business. I'm filled with anxieties and rage, every time I read comments somewhere it's like an invisible hand pushing a button to make me lose whatever emotional balance I've had left and give in to anger and despair. This is extremely destructive, so I'll have to find ways to minimize my online presence and limit it to publishing and just talking to a few people sometimes. Even if it's ignorant, I'd rather be ignorant, but emotionally balanced, than well-informed but depressed, ultimately a disaster waiting to happen. I feel like this level of alienation, this level of constant bloodsport attitude online was not yet present 10-13 years ago. It wasn't great, but it was still growing and now it's just an out of control mess.
lothar at 2:21AM, Sept. 23, 2023
(offline)
That totally makes sense. I feel much better since I stopped listening to podcasts and YouTube commentary channels…. It's all the same shit
I've been listening to mostly music now or maybe stuff about science or history but none of the current events crap. Everyone is screaming about how the world is on there brink of destruction and… Maybe it is. Actually I think it likely is but I realized if the world does end tomorrow or next week or whatever and we lose the internet, die in nuclear Armageddon or just starve to death … Do I really want to spend the remaining age of opulence and leisure fretting about the end? If we are all truly on the titanic then I'm gonna head straight to the bar rather than clamor for my spot on a non-existent life boat.
ksteak at 9:42PM, Sept. 23, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:or rather that were Trilbies at the same time as they're fedoras because those are different names for the same hat but from different countriesā€¦

now that is interesting. theres a youtube vid by one of those mens satorial channels but i forget which, and they pretty much justify a fedora as wearable only because of that classification mishap.
Ozoneocean at 10:52PM, Sept. 24, 2023
(online)
ksteak wrote:
now that is interesting. theres a youtube vid by one of those mens satorial channels but i forget which, and they pretty much justify a fedora as wearable only because of that classification mishap.
There's strange history to those hats that's lost these days because people only know the names, but not what they mean, why we use them or where they come from.

—————-

Yes, there's always some existential disaster to deal with- that doesn't make it not real or irrelevant, but it does tell us two things: We will probably get through it (because we have every time so far), and that people before us we just as beaten down and just as worried as we are now by whatever crisis they had to deal with.

What REALLY bugs me is when people say “Oh well you know today's kids have it so bad, they have to grow up dealing with the issue of climate change hanging over them… people in the past didn't have all those huge worries growing up”
YES, we actually did. People have ALWAYS had huge issues hanging over them, like nuclear annihilation, terrorism, the ozone layer being destroyed, the world's fuel running out, over-population, world war, getting drafted, AIDS, the French invading,the British invading, revolution, slavery, colonialism, disease, the Romans, Greeks, Aztecs, Vikings famine…
There's never been a time without a threat that people have grown up under.
Genejoke at 1:38AM, Sept. 25, 2023
(online)
but it's worse now because da internetz!
lothar at 6:42AM, Sept. 25, 2023
(offline)
Yup, you're right Ozone. Growing up in America in the 80s I was terrified of nuclear war. The adults around me only made it worse; telling me stuff like “If the Russians push the button we all have about 15 minutes to live” watching Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and Terminator, I was envious of you guys down there in the southern hemisphere. We were always told that you guys stood a better chance of survival.
Ozoneocean at 7:41AM, Sept. 25, 2023
(online)
lothar wrote:
We were always told that you guys stood a better chance of survival.
Hahaha, yeah, we would have XD
I'm glad it didn't come to that because though because I live not far from one of the biggest special forces bases in the country.
J_Scarbrough at 8:20AM, Sept. 25, 2023
(offline)
I don't even know if we can even call it “nostalgia” for the 2010s, because from my observation, so many people still don't seem to realize the 2010s are over and we're in the 2020s now; they're still clinging to 2010s fashions and trends and such . . . I mean seriously, 70s bell bottoms stopped being a thing in the 80s, why are 2010s skinny jeans still a thing in the 2020s?

Joseph Scarbrough
PaulEberhardt at 12:56PM, Sept. 25, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
What REALLY bugs me is when people say “Oh well you know today's kids have it so bad, they have to grow up dealing with the issue of climate change hanging over them… people in the past didn't have all those huge worries growing up”
YES, we actually did. People have ALWAYS had huge issues hanging over them, like nuclear annihilation, terrorism, the ozone layer being destroyed, the world's fuel running out, over-population, world war, getting drafted, AIDS, the French invading,the British invading, revolution, slavery, colonialism, disease, the Romans, Greeks, Aztecs, Vikings famine…
There's never been a time without a threat that people have grown up under.

That's just my point: every generation has its own cave bear to play with. Without teddy something's clearly missing in the human experience.

J_Scarbrough wrote:
I don't even know if we can even call it ā€œnostalgiaā€ for the 2010s, because from my observation, so many people still don't seem to realize the 2010s are over and we're in the 2020s now; they're still clinging to 2010s fashions and trends and such . . . I mean seriously, 70s bell bottoms stopped being a thing in the 80s, why are 2010s skinny jeans still a thing in the 2020s?

Well bell bottoms and suchlike didn't get thrown away, because denim just doesn't fall apart after a measly decade, and if you buy that kind of quality it'll have been expensive enough, too.
But I think you've got a point that it's a bit early for nostalgia if you can't yet define what the decade you're nostalgic for was all about, really. In contrast, I seem to recall you could get accused of being way too 80s as early as 1992. One kind of silliness just replaced the other, granted, but at least you could tell them apart.
Ozoneocean at 1:59AM, Sept. 26, 2023
(online)
LOL! Bell bottoms came back in the late 90s, and then they came back again in the mid 2000s XD
And currently they're sort of back again in a small way.
bravo1102 at 3:15AM, Sept. 27, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
LOL! Bell bottoms came back in the late 90s, and then they came back again in the mid 2000s XD
And currently they're sort of back again in a small way.
I got stuck with them back in the 1970s. Hated them. Always got dirt on them amd they were awful in puddles. Whole cuff would be soaked for hours.
Fashions like that don't work on little kids. XD
J_Scarbrough at 8:24AM, Sept. 27, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
LOL! Bell bottoms came back in the late 90s

That I remember, only they called them “flares” then. Heck, I even still remember the commercial for them after all these years. . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ2hGsFvBzo

Joseph Scarbrough
PaulEberhardt at 4:41AM, Sept. 28, 2023
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
I got stuck with them back in the 1970s. Hated them. Always got dirt on them amd they were awful in puddles. Whole cuff would be soaked for hours.
Heh! I love drawing them on my characters, for some reason. I think it must be because these things managed to be both too tight and too wide in all the wrong respective places with such precision that I have to acknowledge them as art.
Ozoneocean at 6:58AM, Sept. 28, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
I only experienced the latter part of the 1970s but I still had a marvelous pair of crimson nylon flares šŸ˜
My first ever piece of sewing was stitching my mum's best silk pink polkadot scarf down the leg of one of them because I LOVED military uniform trousers and wanted a pair šŸ˜…šŸ¤£

I hated flares back in the 80s like everyone else in that decade but started wearing them in the late 90s. I currently own many pairs of flared trousers šŸ˜…
I don't wear them much now though because that is t really my style anymore but I'm too lazy to shop for new jeans. Shopping for jeans is a massive pain.

@J_Scarbrough haha! Looks like that Ren and Stimpy guy's work.
TheJagged at 2:46AM, Sept. 30, 2023
(offline)
Hm. I don't remember a single meaningful thing that happened in the 2010s.
That decade flew by me like a gust of wind.

People say the 90s were dull, but the 2010s were bereft of anything exciting happening on any level in my life. I guess indie games became a thing, and the internet became mainstream. So i think i kinda hate the 2010s, actually. Fuck you, 2010s. How dare make all these normies invade my sacred nerd cyberspace.

Whatever, the 80s were the only decade that ever mattered.
mightguy15 at 8:33PM, Nov. 18, 2023
(offline)
Nah. 2010 was fun but people say stuff like that about every decade they grew up in. Iā€™m a 90s guy, at least what can be said about the 70s, 80s, and 90s was that they were times that truly had their own identity. There will never be another disco era. There will never be 80s style movies, music and fashion ever again. Same for the 90s.

Iā€™d argue the 2000s were more iconic than the 2010s. Iā€™ll never forget the y2k aesthetic, awesome rock and the fear and excitement everyone had for the new mellinium.

2010s felt like how every year from then is probably going to be. Not really that different from the 2020s. No crazy cell phones because now there is an established standard for them. No new genres of music because they all are built off of the stuff that came out in the past. In fact I remember the 2010s being the era people wouldnā€™t stop talking about 90s nostalgia.

It wasnā€™t a bad decade, but Iā€™d hardly say itā€™s nostalgic because I still feel like Iā€™m in it

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon